07-08-2014 09:00 PM
118 1234 ...
tools
    Let me explain it for the 100th time:

- Microsoft Mobile can use the Nokia name for a period, yes. As long as they have the current Nokia phones with them. What Eflop means with the "period" is that, obviously, all Nokia devices until the 25th April will NOT be rebranded. The Nokia L1020 remains the Nokia L1020. And Microsoft CAN use the Nokia brand to promote the Nokia L1020. Same for all the other devices in the current portfolio.

What Microsoft CAN'T do is use the Nokia brand on any other future Lumia devices. Meanwing, every smartphone that is presented and released AFTER the 25th of April can NOT use the Nokia brand anymore. So basically, the 930 will be the last Lumia to come with the Nokia branding in it. This Goldfinger along with any other Lumia, will be already released without the Nokia branding in them. IF there's ANY Nokia branding in the phone, that branding may be used in connection to PureView Cameras, since the PureView technology remains in the hands of Nokia.

You will not see Goldfinger released under the Nokia brand. It will come under the Lumia brand and any other brand Microsoft decides to eventually use (Surface Lumia, Microsoft Lumia, Xbox Lumia, Lumia Bill, whatever). The camera *could* come with a Nokia logo next to it for PureView phones...but it's unlikely to happen since, if that happens, then Nokia will also be allowed to license the Nokia brand in any future Apple product that may use the PureView tech (which is now available for licensing...and remember Apple snatched a senior member of the ex-Nokia D&S PureView team). And the deal stated that Nokia can't lend its brand to smartphones until 31st December 2015. The terms of the deal are a bit vague but in any case, if they can't lend to anyone, "anyone" includes Microsoft.
    While you do have a point, its difficult to take you seriously when you call Elop "Eflop".
    Carry on
    06-08-2014 04:51 PM
    While you do have a point, its difficult to take you seriously when you call Elop "Eflop".
    Carry on
    I call him "Eflop" so I don't call him what I really wanted to. See it as an euphemism. ;)
    06-08-2014 04:54 PM
    Let me explain it for the 100th time:

- Microsoft Mobile can use the Nokia name for a period, yes. As long as they have the current Nokia phones with them. What Eflop means with the "period" is that, obviously, all Nokia devices until the 25th April will NOT be rebranded. The Nokia L1020 remains the Nokia L1020. And Microsoft CAN use the Nokia brand to promote the Nokia L1020. Same for all the other devices in the current portfolio.

What Microsoft CAN'T do is use the Nokia brand on any other future Lumia devices. Meanwing, every smartphone that is presented and released AFTER the 25th of April can NOT use the Nokia brand anymore. So basically, the 930 will be the last Lumia to come with the Nokia branding in it. This Goldfinger along with any other Lumia, will be already released without the Nokia branding in them. IF there's ANY Nokia branding in the phone, that branding may be used in connection to PureView Cameras, since the PureView technology remains in the hands of Nokia.

You will not see Goldfinger released under the Nokia brand. It will come under the Lumia brand and any other brand Microsoft decides to eventually use (Surface Lumia, Microsoft Lumia, Xbox Lumia, Lumia Bill, whatever). The camera *could* come with a Nokia logo next to it for PureView phones...but it's unlikely to happen since, if that happens, then Nokia will also be allowed to license the Nokia brand in any future Apple product that may use the PureView tech (which is now available for licensing...and remember Apple snatched a senior member of the ex-Nokia D&S PureView team). And the deal stated that Nokia can't lend its brand to smartphones until 31st December 2015. The terms of the deal are a bit vague but in any case, if they can't lend to anyone, "anyone" includes Microsoft.
    Anything but Surface Phone is a big FAIL.
    06-08-2014 05:13 PM
    Anything but Surface Phone is a big FAIL.
    Na, my 920's a big win. ๐Ÿ† ;)
    06-08-2014 05:21 PM
    Microsoft Lumia is a nice name
    basically just replace NOKIA with Microsoft.
    06-08-2014 05:58 PM
    This will all be for nothing in the US if it's a carrier exclusive. IT HAS TO BE available on all carriers at the or near the same time to make any meaningful impact.
    Editguy1900 likes this.
    06-08-2014 06:09 PM
    Microsoft Lumia is a nice name
    basically just replace NOKIA with Microsoft.
    Didn't they once say that the names were getting too long?
    Why don't they just call it Lumia. Because the iPhone is just iPhone, so why can't Lumia be just Lumia.
    06-08-2014 06:44 PM
    It is a gorgeous looking phone in any event. I don't care if it's called the "Microsoft Dog-****-Beside-A-Stop-Sign".
    06-08-2014 06:46 PM
    5.2 inch ? Hm to small ;)
    Its 3d tho, that **** will pop out and pole your eye out ๐Ÿ˜‰
    06-08-2014 06:47 PM
    "The Nokia McLumia DJCBS Edition"

Complete with spite, envy, and the inability to LET IT FRICKEN GO.
    BobLobIaw and Beijendorf like this.
    06-08-2014 06:56 PM
    This beast will sporting 3.8L, twin turbocharged v8 engine. LoL
    Aniruddh Sharma1 likes this.
    06-08-2014 06:59 PM
    Why don't they just call it Lumia. Because the iPhone is just iPhone, so why can't Lumia be just Lumia.
    Well to be honest, Ballmer said that. But Ballmer also believed people called the phones "Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 1020". When no one except him called them that. Not Nokia, nor the consumer...not even Microsoft employees. So...Even if they call it "Microsoft Lumia 940" It's not that long. Not longer than "Samsung Galaxy S5"...and those sell like hot cakes.
    The names of the phones aren't a problem. They never were.

"The Nokia McLumia DJCBS Edition"

Complete with spite, envy, and the inability to LET IT FRICKEN GO.
    And yet it would be named after me. Which is an achievement you will never be able to claim in your life ;)
    06-08-2014 07:02 PM
    Huh?
    iPhone's full name is Apple iPhone. What's wrong with Microsoft Lumia?
    it's manufacturer then device category then model. make sense to me.
    06-08-2014 08:24 PM
    I hope this is a bogus rumor. Having 2560x1440 on a 5.2" display is dumb and a waste of GPU horsepower (it's over 500 ppi). Even straight HD, 1920x1080, on a 5.2" display is overkill (over 400 ppi). A better resolution for 5" phones is 1600x900, which is in the mid-300s ppi.

I'd prefer that MSFT/Nokia concentrate on weight and battery life.
    1080p should be a must. I agree that QuadHD is overkill, though.
    06-08-2014 09:30 PM
    I'm sorry, there's no phone that now can hold 2days or plus battery, 90% of them only holds up to 1 day of use, I don't see why you guys argue so much! damn

Nokia has the best cameras, now when they're putting some even more killing screens with a better processor (people argued about snapdragon 800 on 930, because there's already a 801), and 3d technolgy, I just don't know what you guys want, for christ sake, I'm tired to enter this forum daily and see people arguing about a phone that may never exist, just stop arguing and accept the changes, they're AWESOME, better screen, 3d technology, better camera, better processor, faster graphics, christ sake, what do you want more? a phone that makes your food?!
    Blu3V3nom07 likes this.
    06-08-2014 09:35 PM
    I'm sorry, there's no phone that now can hold 2days or plus battery, 90% of them only holds up to 1 day of use, I don't see why you guys argue so much! damn

Nokia has the best cameras, now when they're putting some even more killing screens with a better processor (people argued about snapdragon 800 on 930, because there's already a 801), and 3d technolgy, I just don't know what you guys want, for christ sake, I'm tired to enter this forum daily and see people arguing about a phone that may never exist, just stop arguing and accept the changes, they're AWESOME, better screen, 3d technology, better camera, better processor, faster graphics, christ sake, what do you want more? a phone that makes your food?!
    Well... Yes. ;) I suppose I'll take one that orders food for more though.
    06-08-2014 09:55 PM
    I'm sorry, there's no phone that now can hold 2days or plus battery, 90% of them only holds up to 1 day of use ...
    Sounds like a great opportunity for MSFT to take the lead in the smartphone world. Two day battery life would be far more meaningful to billions of potential users than a 500 ppi display.

I wish MSFT would take WP8 private now that they own the phone hardware. That way they could optimize the hell out of the OS and hardware.
    TheMightyCraken likes this.
    06-08-2014 10:14 PM
    Sounds like a great opportunity for MSFT to take the lead in the smartphone world. Two day battery life would be far more meaningful to billions of potential users than a 500 ppi display.

I wish MSFT would take WP8 private now that they own the phone hardware. That way they could optimize the hell out of the OS and hardware.
    Well...Sony's Z1 Compact and Z2 already have batteries that can run for more than a day, though that's much thanks to Sony's advanced energy management tools. The Z1 Compact lasts almost 2 days of average use.
    So there's another reason to pray for Sony to hurry up and board the WP train.

Microsoft could try to do something about the batteries but that requires research that isn't really within Microsoft's scope. Other companies are already researching that, though. And Nokia may also go into that arena through their Technologies division (I'm talking about the real Nokia, the only one that should be referred to as Nokia). There are progresses being made in that area...just not fast enough. It also doesn't help that OEMs keep coming up with gimmicks to kill off batteries.
    I for once thing they should all just agree to stop for a while with the gimmicks like 3D gestures, fingerprint lockers etc and focus on just the software side of smartphones until the battery problems are solved. But that'd be way too good to happen.
    06-08-2014 10:24 PM
    I'm pretty sure that's well within Microsoft scope, you should probably read into just how big Microsoft r&d dept. Is If it has to do with electronics its in their scope.
    TheMightyCraken likes this.
    06-08-2014 10:50 PM

I'm not sure that billions of people care about a battery that lasts two days. Why, so that they can be lazy? Camping? Most people would be happy with having a solid one-day battery because they charge them at the end of the day. Yeah, it would be nice but I don't think that's at the top of most peoples' list.
    Editguy1900 and MDK22 like this.
    06-08-2014 10:50 PM
    While it 'sounds' nice, I am used to the 6" screen of my 1520. Can't really see going back down.

Some people probably feel the same way about 41MP.
    06-08-2014 10:56 PM
    I have a 12 inch monster.
    onysi and 12Danny123 like this.
    06-08-2014 11:01 PM
    I don't care too much about what specs this rumored phone has. The one thing it MUST have is great battery life. Not just better than other Lumia on the market, I mean GREAT battery life. Something reveling the HTC One M8 in terms of battery. It is pointless to pack all that CPU in a dense space, add a hundred plus sensors, camera lens that can shoot through walls and what not, when the phone is dead by lunch time.
    anon5997296 likes this.
    06-08-2014 11:12 PM
    Hopefully the camera sensor is bigger.
    06-09-2014 12:25 AM
    If MS had a visionary CEO they'd buy up companies that research battery tech, screen tech, fingerprint sensor technology and so on. But they don't, so we'll be left with better "live tiles" and that's all.
    06-09-2014 02:00 AM
118 1234 ...