Rumour: Nokia "McLaren" 5.2 Inch Monster

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
iPhone competitors can't equal battery/weight/camera so they ramp up specs on useless things like 400+ppi displays, 5-6" screen size and other useless gimmicks. Is it any wonder the iPhone 5S is far and away the best selling phone in the world?

I have yet to see an iPhone last as long on a charge as my Ativ S. A couple weeks ago I was out with a friend who has the 5S and he ended up needing to borrow my portable charger to make it through the night at the party we both attended. He was down below 20% and I was still over 50% with virtually identical usage throughout the day. Care to revise your statement?

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Regardless if this is the first device released by Microsoft Mobile, it was still conceived by Nokia originally, and the device won't represent Microsoft. I already own a Lumia 1520, I don't want a successor to that device. I want a Microsoft engineered phone. I want a phone with the Surface's signature hardware design and branding.

I'm just not interested in seeing a Microsoft Lumia 1530 with the same polycarbonate design. I was hoping the Nokia team would completely merge with the Devices division responsible for engineering the Surface product line.

Look at Skype, Microsoft made a huge mistake with that purchase because they stayed separate, Microsoft had just introduced Messenger support in Mango 7.5 for phones and then the support was essentially dumped when it was working fine. Skype came along and truly defined how bad the Windows Phone SDK was, considering every other major platform had a great Skype app experience. The Skype service as a whole went completely downhill, and it was probably because they had no help from Microsoft, nobody stepping in to supervise and manage what was going on.

Now Tony Bates is out of the picture, maybe now we will have Microsoft working more hands-on with their Skype division. But the way I look at it is because it was owned by Microsoft doesn't necessarily mean it's Skype has Microsoft's blood now. And with Microsoft Mobile, they are out in Finland. Microsoft is in the states.. That doesn't help much, I mean honestly Microsoft could make a Surface Phone all by themselves and Microsoft Mobile make a Lumia 1630. Just like how we have the Surface and there is also the Lumia 2520. The two teams need to be merged and work hands-on together, not just owned by the same company..

But anyway, that's why I'm gonna wait it out before I buy another Windows Phone, because I want a true Microsoft phone.
I don't agree. I believe the Nokia style appeals to many. I believe they should have two lines, Lumia and surface (substitute surface for whatever name you like). One has the design elements of the Nokia in the Lumia line and microsofts sharp lines and metalic cases for the other line.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't really matter how great this device "may" be. iOS is a freakin monster of an ecosystem. iOS is like the ocean and MS is spitting in it. How does MS build up a full hardware/software/retail ecosystem that not only equals but surpasses Apple? The answer is they can't, because Apple started down that road 15 years ago and MS only started a decade later. There is no making up 10 lost years. They might as well give up on consumer and focus on businesses. They are the new IBM even though they refuse to admit it.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
^All I've ever heard from you is complaints about WP and bashing Microsoft. tell us, how much did Samsung and Apple pay you?
Here's the kind of optimization of hardware that could be possible if MSFT took WP proprietary (now that they own the phone hardware):

Microsoft Aims for Smartphones That Run for a Week

That sort of thing is more important than 500 ppi displays.
yea but they don't want to and shouldn't make WP private. if it is, it'll become iOS and likely max out at 15% marketshare. it has to be open and usable by all OEM in order to even come close to competing with android.

my upgrade is right at the middle of November. This device better not be late :D it'll be great comparing this to iPhone 6

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't really matter how great this device "may" be. iOS is a freakin monster of an ecosystem. iOS is like the ocean and MS is spitting in it. How does MS build up a full hardware/software/retail ecosystem that not only equals but surpasses Apple? The answer is they can't, because Apple started down that road 15 years ago and MS only started a decade later. There is no making up 10 lost years. They might as well give up on consumer and focus on businesses. They are the new IBM even though they refuse to admit it.

An ocean full of floating turds

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Camera app needs to be way faster. Just used my wife's 5S and holy crap that camera is fast. the pics were not s good as my Icon but pretty close.

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site

MS might have started a decade late but they are only a year or two away now, pretty fast catch up rate if you ask me. Apple has been pretty stagnant in the past 2 years or so, they overhauled the UI for the appearance of something new, but really nothing substantial. This year they will use the Samsung strategy in terms of adding more size (galaxy and galaxy mini, mega or whatever) and again only giving the appearance of change. On the other hand MS is moving quite fast since the new CEO so we'll see how it plays out in another year or two.

Hecatoncheires

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree. The Lumia 930 gets released in Q3 2014 .. as in: its still not out yet. I can't see them releasing an entirely new and improved flagship device in Q4 2014. Do we really believe they are going to release a new flagship phone before the old one is even available in most stores?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I agree. The Lumia 930 gets released in Q3 2014 .. as in: its still not out yet. I can't see them releasing an entirely new and improved flagship device in Q4 2014. Do we really believe they are going to release a new flagship phone before the old one is even available in most stores?

The Icon was released months ago and spec wise, same ordeal as the 1520, which was released prior to the Icon. So saying the 930 is a new flagship when it doesn't have anything new is bizarre to me. It isn't, maybe in the Windows Phone world, but compared to other, previously released Lumia phones, it isn't a new high-end phone, just a rereleased one.

It'll be about time Microsoft/ Nokia releases a new phone by the time November comes around.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

The 930 isn't a new flagship. It's the international version of the Icon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb