Rumour: Nokia "McLaren" 5.2 Inch Monster

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
07-nokia-eos-concept-2_medium.jpg

via www.gizbot.com

When we reported about the Nokia McLaren yesterday, it was still pending some useful information about the device, apart from knowing that the device will enable 3D touch technology. Today, it seems, there are more solid information to go through for the device. According to reports, the Nokia McLaren is currently set for a fall 2014 release. And apparently, the device is also expected to come sporting a 5.2-inch quad HD display , alongside a powerful Snapdragon 805 CPU.

Previously leaked under the nickname Goldfinger, it now appears that the handset known internally as Nokia McLaren. And while nobody knows the reason behind the name change, "but it may have something to do with the fact that Nokia's mobile division has been absorbed by Microsoft," writes Softpedia. "Another reason could be the fact that Microsoft wants to start getting its own vision inside the next Windows Phone devices, hence the need for a new beginning on all projects," the report says.

Apparently, the Nokia McLaren is also one of the smartphones that were mentioned in the Nokia roadmap 2014/2015 that leaked Online a few days ago. And according to leakster @evleaks, the smartphone could be launched in fall. However, he wasn't able to provide more details on McLaren's specs sheet. As far in-device details are concerned, the Nokia McLaren could feature a similar design as the Lumia 1520, although it will come with a much smaller 5.2-inch capacitive touchscreen display, as revealed via NokiaPowerUser. "The good news is the McLaren's display is supposed to support quad HD (1440 x 2560 pixels) resolution."

"Hardware-wise, the McLaren seems to be one of the first smartphones to be powered by Qualcomm's Snapdragon 805 processor and Adreno 420 graphics processing unit," the report adds. Also, as of now, there are no details on the amount of memory inside, "but it would be safe to assume that it will pack 3GB of RAM and at least 16GB of storage, with the option to further expand internal memory up to 128GB via microSD card slot."

Gizbot: Nokia McLaren with 5.2-Inch Quad HD Display Arriving This Fall
5.2 Inch Screen, Nokia, 3 Gigs of RAM, and Quad HD? That sounds just awesome. Mary Jo Foley was also talking about this device on All About Microsoft, and it is certainly supposed to have 3D touch support. I'm hoping it has an awesome an awesomer camera than the 1020, and updated ClearBlack and camera app-features. Maybe they could have a optional stylus you can buy from the Microsoft Store at this point. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I hope this is a bogus rumor. Having 2560x1440 on a 5.2" display is dumb and a waste of GPU horsepower (it's over 500 ppi). Even straight HD, 1920x1080, on a 5.2" display is overkill (over 400 ppi). A better resolution for 5" phones is 1600x900, which is in the mid-300s ppi.

I'd prefer that MSFT/Nokia concentrate on weight and battery life.

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope this is a bogus rumor. Having 2560x1440 on a 5.2" display is dumb and a waste of GPU horsepower (it's over 500 ppi). Even straight HD, 1920x1080, on a 5.2" display is overkill (over 400 ppi). A better resolution for 5" phones is 1600x900, which is in the mid-300s ppi.

While I agree that I don't see the advantage of 2K-resolution on a smartphone display, there are some reasons I can see why they'd go for it.

Positives:
1) Technical progress
- At some point we said graphics couldn't be improved, processors didn't need to be faster. Many also said 1080p on televisions was overrated.
- Having a higher resolution AMOLED could probably reduce burn-in issues by cycling the pixels. Similar innovations are only possible if we never stop improving.

2) Competition
- Other manufacturers will have 2K resolution. Microsoft are already under fire for being behind the competiton in hardware. They need to join the spec-race.
- The McLaren is supposedly a 'Hero'-device. They need the latest and greatest of all to make a 'Hero'.

Negative:
1) Battery consumption
- Even though the newer 2K panels use about as much power as the older 1080p panels, newer 1080p panels use far less power.

2) Processor demand
- This falls on both battery consumption and processor usage, processor percentages that could be used for other things.

3) Reduced brightness
- I know this is true on LCD displays, not sure about AMOLED. On LCD's, having a higher pixel density gives less space to shine the background light through meaning comparatively darker screens and lowered sunlight readability.

What I wonder, considering it's a 'Hero', is whether it comes with the Pelican Imaging light-field camera. Perhaps Microsoft will use this device to truly revitalise the entire mobile market by pushing every technical revolutionary innovation they have in their arsenal.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One of my young employees father works for Microsoft and told me his dad has a unreleased bad *** Lumia phone wonder if this is it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why would it be called 'Nokia' when the division has been absorbed by Microsoft? I know MS is allowed to use the 'Lumia' name for several years, but obviously NOT Nokia. Why does Mary Jo report this as it being a Nokia phone?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Microsoft can still use the name Nokia for the Lumia line for a limited amount of time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Why would it be called 'Nokia' when the division has been absorbed by Microsoft? I know MS is allowed to use the 'Lumia' name for several years, but obviously NOT Nokia. Why does Mary Jo report this as it being a Nokia phone?

The 'Nokia' brand is available for Microsoft to use for a "period of time", as Stephen Elop said himself.

Conversations LIVE: Ask me anything with Stephen Elop - Conversations

This is a device first pioneered by Nokia under the 'Goldfinger' codename. As such it's still not a pure Microsoft-developed device. We don't call the 930 a Microsoft device either, even though it's technically manufactured and sold by Microsoft Mobile Oy.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site

I would love better battery life but it is time for WP to make one hell of a statement and grab people attention and imagination.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
While I agree that I don't see the advantage of 2K-resolution on a smartphone display, there are some reasons I can see why they'd go for it.
I know we basically agree. The following isn't making fun of your post, just a humorous take on spec wars vs what's important to users.

What's funny is that your two positives are responses to competitors while your three negatives directly impact users. MSFT needs to focus on the user experience, not try to one up their competitors in a hardware spec war (which only geeks care about, and that's a small market). Let's say Joe Public walks into his local ATT store and asks the salesman about two phones:

===========================
Phone A:
Salesman's pitch: This phone has a massive 4K display and tons of memory. MSFT really showed Samsung and Apple!

Joe Public: The screen doesn't look much different from the 1080p phone over there.

Salesman: Here's a magnifying glass. Now can you see the difference? Look at all those pixels!

Joe Public: You said that the phone has a lot of memory. Does that mean I can run more apps or something?

Salesman: Not really, all that extra memory is used to store the large textures required for the massive 4K display. Here's the magnifying glass again ... just look at all those pixels!

Joe Public: This phone is heavier than the 1080p phone over there. Does that mean it has a bigger battery and will last longer on a charge?

Salesman: Battery? Yes it's a little bigger and heavier ... so that it can drive the GPU used for the 4K display. You can get a whole six hours of battery before needing to charge again. Just think of all those pixels!

Joe Public: WTF?

===========================
Phone B
Salesman's pitch: This phone has a high quality 1080p display, a fantastic and fast camera for capturing events in your life (no more blurry photos!), is lightweight, and the battery lasts two days. No need to worry about carrying around a charger!

Joe Public: I'll take one of those!

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Gizbot: Nokia McLaren with 5.2-Inch Quad HD Display Arriving This Fall
5.2 Inch Screen, Nokia, 3 Gigs of RAM, and Quad HD? That sounds just awesome. Mary Jo Foley was also talking about this device on All About Microsoft, and it is certainly supposed to have 3D touch support. I'm hoping it has an awesome an awesomer camera than the 1020, and updated ClearBlack and camera app-features. Maybe they could have a optional stylus you can buy from the Microsoft Store at this point. Thoughts?

QHD? On 5.2 inches? Nope. Not gonna believe that

Beijendorf

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
[Lots and lots of well-formulated words!]

To be fair, the technical innovations works in the interest of the consumers, such as increased longevity due to reduced pixel burn-in on the screens, etc. Also, the competition ensures you always get the highest-end gear your money can buy when you buy a flagship, so that's nice.

Also, I think you're talking of the highly esteemed and self-respecting Sir Joe von Public, a conneiseur of fine technology and purveyor of sophisticated questions. I know a lot of Average Joes, and have seen exposed to sales pitches of all types. This is how they (tragically) usually go:

Average Joe: Hey I wanna buy [random item Joe knows nothing about], what do you have?
Seller: Well there are two popular ones. There's this one with [medium to high specifications across the board].
Average Joe: Okay. What else do you have?
Seller: Well, it costs slightly more, but you get much higher specifications!
Average Joe: AWESOME!
Seller: Good, I can tell you know what you want! It has [high specifications across the board]!
Average Joe: Woow! Those numbers are slightly higher than on the other [random item Joe knows nothing about]! I'll take one!
Me: But... that other [random item Joe knows nothing about] has gotten the better reviews and will perform better in your daily life.
Average Joe: Yeah well, the other [random item Joe knows nothing about] only has [specifications Average Joe has no idea what they mean].

In short: human psychology makes us always go for the better offer, even if we don't know why we want it. If we buy the slightly better object we get reduced buyers remorse, and this goes hand-in-hand with comparing the specifications before buying the device to ensure we get the best item.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, the technical innovations works in the interest of the consumers, such as increased longevity due to reduced pixel burn-in on the screens, etc. Also, the competition ensures you always get the highest-end gear your money can buy when you buy a flagship, so that's nice.
I know ... but there's the "diminishing returns" issue to consider. Once you get over 300 ppi the return from increasing pixel density gets much smaller while the cost increases across multiple components (more CPU, much more GPU, more memory, etc.).

Your spec war salesman scenario is a concern but, imho, the most important issue people have with their phones is battery life. Everyone has a problem with that (carrying chargers with them, worried about their battery petering out at a bad time, etc.). A second and increasingly important area is the camera. Whenever I take impromptu photos at parties with my wife's 920 and we compare shots with other people (no one else has a Windows Phone), they all ask "where can I get a phone like that". If you want to have a spec war, focus on the battery life and camera. I think those features will win out in the long run.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99