Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
CPUs are FAST ENOUGH
Screens are BIG ENOUGH
Pixel density is GOOD ENOUGH

Battery is BAD
Weight is BAD (sometimes)
Camera is BAD (or SLOW, sometimes)

Improve the BAD things, after that -> play around with useless improvements!

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I can't believe they are releasing this so close to the Lumia 930!

I totally believe it. I've been calling the 930 a stutter step release for sometime now. As far as I am concerned the Icon/930 was delayed* too long and lacks a couple of features that would allow it to have legs in the market (SD Card Slot and Glance). While it is no doubt a very nice phone, there's too many people that care about those two features for the 930 to be a runaway best seller (let alone it being an exclusive in the US to Verizon).

McLaren looks to be the right size more or less and it is implied it has a SD Card Slot. I am a bit concerned about the display given the debate here, however we shall see what is really going to be released.

*As to if the Icon was actually delayed or not or we were simply hearing about it for an extended time period I cannot truthfully say.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 'Nokia' brand is available for Microsoft to use for a "period of time", as Stephen Elop said himself.

Conversations LIVE: Ask me anything with Stephen Elop - Conversations

This is a device first pioneered by Nokia under the 'Goldfinger' codename. As such it's still not a pure Microsoft-developed device. We don't call the 930 a Microsoft device either, even though it's technically manufactured and sold by Microsoft Mobile Oy.

Let me explain it for the 100th time:

- Microsoft Mobile can use the Nokia name for a period, yes. As long as they have the current Nokia phones with them. What Eflop means with the "period" is that, obviously, all Nokia devices until the 25th April will NOT be rebranded. The Nokia L1020 remains the Nokia L1020. And Microsoft CAN use the Nokia brand to promote the Nokia L1020. Same for all the other devices in the current portfolio.

What Microsoft CAN'T do is use the Nokia brand on any other future Lumia devices. Meanwing, every smartphone that is presented and released AFTER the 25th of April can NOT use the Nokia brand anymore. So basically, the 930 will be the last Lumia to come with the Nokia branding in it. This Goldfinger along with any other Lumia, will be already released without the Nokia branding in them. IF there's ANY Nokia branding in the phone, that branding may be used in connection to PureView Cameras, since the PureView technology remains in the hands of Nokia.

You will not see Goldfinger released under the Nokia brand. It will come under the Lumia brand and any other brand Microsoft decides to eventually use (Surface Lumia, Microsoft Lumia, Xbox Lumia, Lumia Bill, whatever). The camera *could* come with a Nokia logo next to it for PureView phones...but it's unlikely to happen since, if that happens, then Nokia will also be allowed to license the Nokia brand in any future Apple product that may use the PureView tech (which is now available for licensing...and remember Apple snatched a senior member of the ex-Nokia D&S PureView team). And the deal stated that Nokia can't lend its brand to smartphones until 31st December 2015. The terms of the deal are a bit vague but in any case, if they can't lend to anyone, "anyone" includes Microsoft.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
CPUs are FAST ENOUGH
Screens are BIG ENOUGH
Pixel density is GOOD ENOUGH

Battery is BAD
Weight is BAD (sometimes)
Camera is BAD (or SLOW, sometimes)

Improve the BAD things, after that -> play around with useless improvements!

iPhone competitors can't equal battery/weight/camera so they ramp up specs on useless things like 400+ppi displays, 5-6" screen size and other useless gimmicks. Is it any wonder the iPhone 5S is far and away the best selling phone in the world?

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

- Microsoft Mobile can use the Nokia name for a period, yes. As long as they have the current Nokia phones with them. What Eflop means with the "period" is that, obviously, all Nokia devices until the 25th April will NOT be rebranded. The Nokia L1020 remains the Nokia L1020. And Microsoft CAN use the Nokia brand to promote the Nokia L1020. Same for all the other devices in the current portfolio.

What Microsoft CAN'T do is use the Nokia brand on any other future Lumia devices. Meanwing, every smartphone that is presented and released AFTER the 25th of April can NOT use the Nokia brand anymore. So basically, the 930 will be the last Lumia to come with the Nokia branding in it. This Goldfinger along with any other Lumia, will be already released without the Nokia branding in them. IF there's ANY Nokia branding in the phone, that branding may be used in connection to PureView Cameras, since the PureView technology remains in the hands of Nokia.

You will not see Goldfinger released under the Nokia brand. It will come under the Lumia brand and any other brand Microsoft decides to eventually use (Surface Lumia, Microsoft Lumia, Xbox Lumia, Lumia Bill, whatever). The camera *could* come with a Nokia logo next to it for PureView phones...but it's unlikely to happen since, if that happens, then Nokia will also be allowed to license the Nokia brand in any future Apple product that may use the PureView tech (which is now available for licensing...and remember Apple snatched a senior member of the ex-Nokia D&S PureView team). And the deal stated that Nokia can't lend its brand to smartphones until 31st December 2015. The terms of the deal are a bit vague but in any case, if they can't lend to anyone, "anyone" includes Microsoft.
While you do have a point, its difficult to take you seriously when you call Elop "Eflop".
Carry on

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Anything but Surface Phone is a big FAIL.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This will all be for nothing in the US if it's a carrier exclusive. IT HAS TO BE available on all carriers at the or near the same time to make any meaningful impact.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Didn't they once say that the names were getting too long?
Why don't they just call it Lumia. Because the iPhone is just iPhone, so why can't Lumia be just Lumia.

Well to be honest, Ballmer said that. But Ballmer also believed people called the phones "Nokia Lumia Windows Phone 1020". When no one except him called them that. Not Nokia, nor the consumer...not even Microsoft employees. So...Even if they call it "Microsoft Lumia 940" It's not that long. Not longer than "Samsung Galaxy S5"...and those sell like hot cakes.
The names of the phones aren't a problem. They never were.

"The Nokia McLumia DJCBS Edition"

Complete with spite, envy, and the inability to LET IT FRICKEN GO.

And yet it would be named after me. Which is an achievement you will never be able to claim in your life ;)

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Didn't they once say that the names were getting too long?
Why don't they just call it Lumia. Because the iPhone is just iPhone, so why can't Lumia be just Lumia.

Huh?
iPhone's full name is Apple iPhone. What's wrong with Microsoft Lumia?
it's manufacturer then device category then model. make sense to me.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I hope this is a bogus rumor. Having 2560x1440 on a 5.2" display is dumb and a waste of GPU horsepower (it's over 500 ppi). Even straight HD, 1920x1080, on a 5.2" display is overkill (over 400 ppi). A better resolution for 5" phones is 1600x900, which is in the mid-300s ppi.

I'd prefer that MSFT/Nokia concentrate on weight and battery life.

1080p should be a must. I agree that QuadHD is overkill, though.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry, there's no phone that now can hold 2days or plus battery, 90% of them only holds up to 1 day of use, I don't see why you guys argue so much! damn

Nokia has the best cameras, now when they're putting some even more killing screens with a better processor (people argued about snapdragon 800 on 930, because there's already a 801), and 3d technolgy, I just don't know what you guys want, for christ sake, I'm tired to enter this forum daily and see people arguing about a phone that may never exist, just stop arguing and accept the changes, they're AWESOME, better screen, 3d technology, better camera, better processor, faster graphics, christ sake, what do you want more? a phone that makes your food?!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss