Rumour: Nokia "McLaren" 5.2 Inch Monster

Hecatoncheires

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
The Icon was released months ago and spec wise, same ordeal as the 1520, which was released prior to the Icon. So saying the 930 is a new flagship when it doesn't have anything new is bizarre to me. It isn't, maybe in the Windows Phone world, but compared to other, previously released Lumia phones, it isn't a new high-end phone, just a rereleased one.

It'll be about time Microsoft/ Nokia releases a new phone by the time November comes around.

Sure. the Icon is the same phone. But the Icon was only released on one carrier in one country...a country that has one of the lowest adoption rates for Windows Phone. That's the equivalent of Apple releasing the iPhone6 , but only in Iceland. For the vast majority of Windows phone users waiting to upgrade, the Icon may as well not even exist. The 1520 has the same specs, but is a phablet which a lot of people don't want.

Yes, the tech has been around for a while. My point is, Nokia/Microsoft are gearing up to release the 930 in the coming months. They will have millions of these handsets and will be looking to sell as many as possible. Why would they jeopardize the sale of the 930 by announcing that a newer and more improved phone will be for sale just a few weeks later? That would basically insure no one would buy a 930, preferring instead to wait a month for the newest phone. Unless they make the McLaren a Verizon exclusive, I guess.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
MS might have started a decade late but they are only a year or two away now, pretty fast catch up rate if you ask me. Apple has been pretty stagnant in the past 2 years or so, they overhauled the UI for the appearance of something new, but really nothing substantial. This year they will use the Samsung strategy in terms of adding more size (galaxy and galaxy mini, mega or whatever) and again only giving the appearance of change. On the other hand MS is moving quite fast since the new CEO so we'll see how it plays out in another year or two.

Dude iOS is stagnant in which way? Last year they overhauled the UI and this year 4000 new APIs! HealthKit, HomeKit, Continuity and so much more. Apple is firing on all cylinders in a way that makes Microsoft look like a tortoise.

csiguy1

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
Regardless where other manufactures are, Windows has come so far in such a short period of time that I think that it has some of the most potential of any system. I truly like and enjoy my 1520 and my Icon. They work so well with both of my Surface tablets and my Win desktop machines that I think that they are on the right track. I think that they are a player now and will get much better with the new leadership at MS. IMHO

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Dude iOS is stagnant in which way? Last year they overhauled the UI and this year 4000 new APIs! HealthKit, HomeKit, Continuity and so much more. Apple is firing on all cylinders in a way that makes Microsoft look like a tortoise.
As you know, MSFT looks like a tortoise because they keep rewriting the damn Windows Phone API. There was WP7, then WP8, and now WP81 "universal" APIs. All significantly different and all have essentially a zero user base. What ISV would deal with all that hassle for no return (except nostalgic idiots like me)? The entire WinRT effort has been a disaster and was completely avoidable. It's insane.

And this is in the face of very powerful competitors, iOS and Android, which are backed by companies with deep pockets. It's far worse than in my day with IBM and the assortment of smaller competitors. The only chance MSFT has of being relevant in ten years is to retrench around Win32 and create a scalable app framework that's Win7 compatible. That would give ISVs a large and relatively happy user base to sell into.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
As you know, MSFT looks like a tortoise because they keep rewriting the damn Windows Phone API. There was WP7, then WP8, and now WP81 "universal" APIs. All significantly different and all have essentially a zero user base. What ISV would deal with all that hassle for no return (except nostalgic idiots like me)? The entire WinRT effort has been a disaster and was completely avoidable. It's insane.

And this is in the face of very powerful competitors, iOS and Android, which are backed by companies with deep pockets. It's far worse than in my day with IBM and the assortment of smaller competitors. The only chance MSFT has of being relevant in ten years is to retrench around Win32 and create a scalable app framework that's Win7 compatible. That would give ISVs a large and relatively happy user base to sell into.

Sorry but that's backwards looking and a certain death sentence. Win32 should be consigned to the dustbin of history.

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but that's backwards looking and a certain death sentence. Win32 should be consigned to the dustbin of history.
Of course it isn't and shouldn't. Do ISVs:

1. Need a new way to enumerate files and directories? NO
2. Need a new way to open and close files? NO
3. Need a new way to read and write files? NO
4. Need wrappers around all of Win32? NO

WinRT is simply an app framework on top of Win32. That's all it is. The file functions eventually call the Win32 file and directory functions (through the horrible File Broker). The HTTP functions call Win32's WinInet (and screw up server responses in some scenarios by forcing the gzip flag on requests). The Socket functions call Win32's WinSock. And so on. Even on WinPRT I see gdi32.dll in my performance logs (I assume that's accessing the TrueType code?).

What ISVs needed and still need is a simple Scalable UI API on Win32 to replace USER and GDI. That's it. All the other Win32 functionality can remain the same. And various languages already have their own frameworks on top of Win32 that are tailored to their needs. If MSFT had added a native Scalable UI API to Win32 and backported it to Win7 they would have had a winner.

Instead, since MSFT fragmented their own platform, it and all other ISVs need to have two teams producing a Windows program, one for Win32 and another for WinRT. They won't do it ... not even MSFT (there is no WinRT Office)!

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Sure. the Icon is the same phone. But the Icon was only released on one carrier in one country...a country that has one of the lowest adoption rates for Windows Phone. That's the equivalent of Apple releasing the iPhone6 , but only in Iceland. For the vast majority of Windows phone users waiting to upgrade, the Icon may as well not even exist. The 1520 has the same specs, but is a phablet which a lot of people don't want.

Yes, the tech has been around for a while. My point is, Nokia/Microsoft are gearing up to release the 930 in the coming months. They will have millions of these handsets and will be looking to sell as many as possible. Why would they jeopardize the sale of the 930 by announcing that a newer and more improved phone will be for sale just a few weeks later? That would basically insure no one would buy a 930, preferring instead to wait a month for the newest phone. Unless they make the McLaren a Verizon exclusive, I guess.

If they make the McLaren a Verizon exclusive I will seriously lose my sh?t...

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't be a "hero" device if it was just on one carrier.
Here carriers define a Hero device.

A true Flagship device would be across multiple characters ideally.

A "Hero" device is a device that a carrier marks as something to push to increase sales.

Brandon Tobias

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Gizbot: Nokia McLaren with 5.2-Inch Quad HD Display Arriving This Fall
5.2 Inch Screen, Nokia, 3 Gigs of RAM, and Quad HD? That sounds just awesome. Mary Jo Foley was also talking about this device on All About Microsoft, and it is certainly supposed to have 3D touch support. I'm hoping it has an awesome an awesomer camera than the 1020, and updated ClearBlack and camera app-features. Maybe they could have a optional stylus you can buy from the Microsoft Store at this point. Thoughts?

i would say 5.2" QHD screen (super AMOLED), 3 gb ram, snapdragon 805 cpu, more than 20mp would be cool and a decent battery size, maybe stereo speakers, magnesium body .

but since Microsoft now owns Nokia devices division i say this device can be released as a surface phone so every year there will be one surface phone and 3 lumia devices 530, 630, 930 (highend) new flagship (Surface Phone) but this sounds good.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
i would say 5.2" QHD screen (super AMOLED), 3 gb ram, snapdragon 805 cpu, more than 20mp would be cool and a decent battery size, maybe stereo speakers, magnesium body .

but since Microsoft now owns Nokia devices division i say this device can be released as a surface phone so every year there will be one surface phone and 3 lumia devices 530, 630, 930 (highend) new flagship (Surface Phone) but this sounds good.

I don't get the sense that Satya Nadella cares about having a hero device for WP.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd rather take the 1525 because I really want a large phone...assuming the specs are the same, which I really hope they are. It would be the smart thing to do.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven