06-14-2014 10:50 PM
77 1234
tools
    I think ms wants to be good to gadgets users in general they want to follow Google model earn through ad by giving it free.but still me plz don't give up Windows phone.it is best phone in the low end no lag or hang.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-14-2014 11:54 AM
    This is beyond idiotic on MS part. There needs to be features WP offers beyond the OS. Apple has Siri and imessaging. WP should have Cortana.

I don't understand how offering it to other platforms is going to help WP.
    06-14-2014 11:54 AM
    Somehow I feel that Nokia cares more about the WP platform than Microsoft !!!
    06-14-2014 11:56 AM
    No I don't think so they are advertising nokia x nd xl more in India compared to wp8.I want that Nokia x or xl to stop.

Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-14-2014 11:58 AM
    please keep Cortana as windows exclusive – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

We are already losing the race, so why port one of our most unique services to the competition? :'(
    I don't know of you've heard of Siri or Google Now (or Android's voice control), but personally I don't see Cortana as unique.
    06-14-2014 12:01 PM
    Yup you said it brother...
    06-14-2014 12:06 PM
    please keep Cortana as windows exclusive – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

We are already losing the race, so why port one of our most unique services to the competition? :'(
    Because Cortana is useless if she doesn't have access to the information in my other devices, or if she can't help me when I'm using them. My tv, my car, my wearable, tablets, phones, pcs, so many devices.

Siri will become irrelevant as iMessage if apple doesn't port it to other platforms.
    06-14-2014 12:14 PM
    Because Cortana is useless if she doesn't have access to the information in my other devices, or if she can't help me when I'm using them. My tv, my car, my wearable, tablets, phones, pcs, so many devices.

Siri will become irrelevant as iMessage if apple doesn't port it to other platforms.
    If you need a real life PA get a human PA, we should know that Cortana is just a PDA Not a human PA that will handle everything a real human PA would
    06-14-2014 12:40 PM
    No I don't think so they are advertising nokia x nd xl more in India compared to wp8.I want that Nokia x or xl to stop.

It seems that sales of the Nokia X are quite good. A new model is coming in a few weeks. Top apps are starting to support the platform.
    This would be really good for MS and Windows.
    If Mozilla can build a decent $25 phone, Microsoft Mobile has to adopt Firefox OS too.
    06-14-2014 12:46 PM
    So Google doesn't provide Microsoft with any YouTube apps, but Microsoft provides Google with Microsoft apps that are even better than the ones on Microsoft's OS. Same situation with Apple, and now Cortana, who was exclusively designed for Windows operating systems is going to them, and i can almost guarantee that Cortana will work better for their OS... Microsoft, I have supported you for a long time, but you are just a bunch of wussies. Instead of diverting your efforts to your own OS you're improving others.... Does this make any sense? Sure you will be making money off of these two mobile OS juggernauts' but you're giving people zero reason to purchase a windowsphone. Which will make you lose money, and make the little time and effort(in comparison to Google and Apple) you put into this OS a complete waste. If not for the UI Apple and Google will have everything that windowsphones have, but better, in addition to the advantage that they already have. But Microsoft already knows that.
    06-14-2014 12:54 PM
    This is another leg in the slow transition from WP to Android. Just as the saying goes " If you can't beat them, join them"...... MS is showing their cards and it seems they have already conceded that WP will never gain enough market share soon enough to be viable. If they really believed in WP it would be all hands on deck for every feature and app on the platform. Right now they are playing both sides, or hedging their bets if you will, so if WP does fail they already have apps and services in place on the other platforms to move forward. If wish they would just go " all in" , have a plan "B" but don't tell anyone for crying out loud......
    06-14-2014 01:19 PM

Cortana has barely been launched and already its useless because its not on ios and android? So why didn't Microsoft launch it there from the beginning and why hold it up as a core feature of WP at the build announcement? Plus I'd like to see your proof of siri and imessage becoming irrelevant because they are not on other platforms.

One thing is becoming clear. From Microsoft's point of view, its all about their services first and foremost and their operating systems come after that. Prioritizing other platforms over their own for touch Office, Skype is proof of that.

With the new CEO's mantra of mobile & cloud first this is further cemented and the offshoot of this is that WP in particular will not be considered a priority when the choice is between pushing WP or Microsoft;s services. They will obviously not abandon the platform in the immediate future but if push comes to shove WP will get the shaft. This is regardless of the fact that they just purchased the mobile hardware division from Nokia but as we've heard the new CEO wasn't a fan of that move so WP having less prominence isn't a surprise.

Lets also not forget that Microsoft is happily selling phones that run its competitors OS rather than their own ostensibly to get people to use their services and its clear that WP's success is secondary to Microsofts goal of pushing their services everywhere so this intended move shouldn't surprise anyone.

The sad truth is Microsoft themselves have mismanaged WP to such an extent that its in the pathetic marketshare state its in today and that's why its not in a position to help Microsoft push their services and they have to port the platform's core features to their competitors to stay relevant. And the end result of all this is that WP will continue to have low adoption, low developer investment and in turn low marketshare, and the vicious cycle will continue.
    06-14-2014 01:21 PM
    Why would I receive worse services from the company that I am supporting?
    It's unfair don't you think?
    Which phone do you own? I own a Nokia Icon, Nokia got the money for this purchase. Nokia also had free license to use Windows Phone because they are partners with Microsoft. I do not see your statement to be true in any form or fashion.
    06-14-2014 01:23 PM
    Cortana has barely been launched and already its useless because its not on ios and android? So why didn't Microsoft launch it there from the beginning and why hold it up as a core feature of WP at the build announcement? Plus I'd like to see your proof of siri and imessage becoming irrelevant because they are not on other platforms.

One thing is becoming clear. From Microsoft's point of view, its all about their services first and foremost and their operating systems come after that. Prioritizing other platforms over their own for touch Office, Skype is proof of that.

With the new CEO's mantra of mobile & cloud first this is further cemented and the offshoot of this is that WP in particular will not be considered a priority when the choice is between pushing WP or Microsoft;s services. They will obviously not abandon the platform in the immediate future but if push comes to shove WP will get the shaft. This is regardless of the fact that they just purchased the mobile hardware division from Nokia but as we've heard the new CEO wasn't a fan of that move so WP having less prominence isn't a surprise.

Lets also not forget that Microsoft is happily selling phones that run its competitors OS rather than their own ostensibly to get people to use their services and its clear that WP's success is secondary to Microsofts goal of pushing their services everywhere so this intended move shouldn't surprise anyone.

The sad truth is Microsoft themselves have mismanaged WP to such an extent that its in the pathetic marketshare state its in today and that's why its not in a position to help Microsoft push their services and they have to port the platform's core features to their competitors to stay relevant. And the end result of all this is that WP will continue to have low adoption, low developer investment and in turn low marketshare, and the vicious cycle will continue.
    While I agree with this and I do not think that WP will forever be low adoption. With their services being on other platforms new users will see how great their services are and start using their services more than their competitor's services.

Lets just face it though WP is not a priority. Its a great platform but like you said the mismanage by Microsoft has caused it to have low adoption and market share.
    06-14-2014 01:29 PM
    Google is trying to kill WP, so they don't support the platform. If WP grows enough they will have to support it.

Google has supported iOS as good or even better than Android since the beginning and that only made Android stronger.

Google Now already is in iOS.
    radmanvr and Karthik Naik like this.
    06-14-2014 01:30 PM
    It doesn't even makes sense, they should really think hard about this move. Making Cortana cross platform doesn't guarantee the adoption of cortana. The fact that Google now is available for IOS and they prefer siri doesn't help. Android users will only prefer google now while IOS users will only prefer Siri because google and apple will not sit back and watch Cortana run the show, they will always improve the integration of their own assistant.
    The only thing Microsoft will achieve is ******* off alot of fans. Its not like these assistants are killer features of some kind, I use Cortana less and less since I upgraded my os. The hype will eventually die which makes this cross platform idea a waste of time and increase in unappreciated and angry fans.

At least they should finish the implementation (support for all regions included) and overall integration of cortana in the windows ecosystem before thinking about anything else. Its not even out of beta yet what are they thinking. Right now as it is there is really nothing amazing about Cortana that would call for such idea. Maybe if they implement something really crazy that blows the competition away then I can understand the advantage of having cortana cross platform.
    emperor_skull likes this.
    06-14-2014 01:31 PM
    I am also very disappointed.
    We(WP user) haven't got Cortana yet and MS already thing to launch Cortana to other OS.

I think they should more focused on availability of Cortana to every wp users first.(every country)
    06-14-2014 01:33 PM
    How does releasing, say, Cortana, on other platforms prevent MS from offering the best experience on WP?
    Umm have you not been reading this thread? Go look at the other MS services on other platforms right now. I don't have a lot of faith in MS to deliver a better experience to WP here. Skype should be the perfect example...

It's kind of contradictory here to release an app with a poor performance on another platform and expect it to adopt users to WP from those platforms. However, by giving it the "best" experience on these other platforms...users "might" flock to WP...but no guarantee since everything already exists on that platform they're using.

IMO, it seems like a gamble. With the smartphone market changing rapidly and it being a hard barrier to entry...my guess is that if MS continues to release "exclusive" apps on WP to other platforms, they'll be just shooting them in their own foot and **** off their own users. (Like Tahiti Bob said). No one is going to adopt another OS because of just one service. However if all services are available on that platform, what's the point of switching or staying with WP? I see no reason. -other than the simplicity of WP and the tile interface why stay on WP then?
    Last edited by xconomicron; 06-14-2014 at 01:53 PM.
    theefman and MazoMark like this.
    06-14-2014 01:37 PM
    There's a long and bumpy road from considering options and doing sth so chill out. Besides Microsoft strategy now is "cloud first, mobile first" with the addition of quality hardware. Just look at the Surface Pro 3 - brilliant build, usability and capabilities. I'll choose one for my 3rd gen iPad any time. Sure it has apps, really nice mobile games, but can I play Planescape Torment (best RPG, perios) on it or countless list of classic or newer games? Nope, only Candy Crush and other touch based titles with poor as hell gameplay compared to console/PC games.

Microsoft has the resources, years of experience and history of ongoing success. Just hold your horses and let the dragon swoop from his lair to hunt some sheep.
    radmanvr likes this.
    06-14-2014 01:49 PM
    Umm have you not been reading this thread? Go look at the other MS services on other platforms right now. I don't have a lot of faith in MS to deliver a better experience to WP here. Skype should be the perfect example...
    No. Nothing prevents Microsoft from offering a good experience on WP. For some reason, they choose not to do so - I assume because of Windows Phone's low market share.
    06-14-2014 01:52 PM
    To me Cortana and the other assistant in their current form are a gimmick, a hack. But this is just the beginning, all the big tech companies are investing heavily in AI and natural interfaces so they will improve fast.
    These kind of system go beyond any device or OS, those barriers doesn't make sense. Few people use only one platform and as the number of devices grows and tech penetrates more deeply every single aspect of of life is less likely that a single company will dominate everything. This intelligence and source of information has to be ubiquitous.
    So an AI engine that only has access to a fraction of your information and can be used only in a few number of devices is crippled. In other words Google Now will eat Siri alive.
    06-14-2014 01:58 PM
    Which phone do you own? I own a Nokia Icon, Nokia got the money for this purchase. Nokia also had free license to use Windows Phone because they are partners with Microsoft. I do not see your statement to be true in any form or fashion.
    Do you have a reference for the claim that Nokia didn't pay for Windows Phone? I know Microsoft gave Nokia many hundreds of millions of euros in "support", and of course things may be different now, but to the best of my knowledge, Nokia had to pay for WP.

If what you say is true, it's hardly surprising that other manufacturers have shown so little interest in WP.
    06-14-2014 02:04 PM
    No. Nothing prevents Microsoft from offering a good experience on WP. For some reason, they choose not to do so - I assume because of Windows Phone's low market share.
    Exactly....due to the low market share, it makes " sense" to push out apps to other platforms with a higher market share...however, by choosing not to release an optimal and better experience on their own platform, then it only hurts them in the long run.

Example: Say this user, Bob, really likes the MS services on IOS...he decides to upgrade to a WP because of these services. Bob gets on the WP platform and realizes that the same services that he was using on ios are much worse on WP...while expecting a better or equal experience. Disappointment is all that comes to mind in Bob's head. Bob probably felt duped. What keeps Bob from staying on the platform and go back to IOS? -other than WP's tile interface and simplicity? Nothing.

Is MS thinking about retention rate here?
    Jupast and MazoMark like this.
    06-14-2014 02:05 PM
    I think that WP OS restrictions are a big part of the reason as well. I believe that Microsoft would release better WP apps if it were possible, in spite of negligible market share.
    Karthik Naik likes this.
    06-14-2014 02:08 PM
    It seems that sales of the Nokia X are quite good. A new model is coming in a few weeks. Top apps are starting to support the platform.
    This would be really good for MS and Windows.
    If Mozilla can build a decent $25 phone, Microsoft Mobile has to adopt Firefox OS too.
    they could use WP7 for that instead of firefox OS or android,itll give the old OS a new lease of life
    WP7 is lighter on the system than WP8 and makes for a perfect budget OS imho
    06-14-2014 02:15 PM
77 1234