Cortana going to IOS and Android is heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Why on earth would a good service or app being provided as widely as possible be a bad thing? Surely making Cortana (if we accept that it's a good service) available on iOS and Android will increase human happiness and lead to a slightly better world? Finding it "heartbreaking" seems a bit selfish, to be honest.

mrcraggle

May 31, 2012
Visit site
MS need to stand behind WP, simple as that. When I buy a WP, I want the best experience from MS not the worst which has been the case such as music, video, Skype, office and many others. Cortana should stay with MS. It's something that can really be beneficial to users in the long run but if MS put it on other platforms, it's just another reason to buy an Android phone or an iPhone as they release better apps there to begin with.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
MS need to stand behind WP, simple as that. When I buy a WP, I want the best experience from MS not the worst which has been the case such as music, video, Skype, office and many others. Cortana should stay with MS. It's something that can really be beneficial to users in the long run but if MS put it on other platforms, it's just another reason to buy an Android phone or an iPhone as they release better apps there to begin with.

How does releasing, say, Cortana, on other platforms prevent MS from offering the best experience on WP?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
What is the point of investing in the current Skype app? I guess a new Skype app is being developed for 8.1, but they have to upgrade the phones first.

Rumors are that Office optimized for touch was delayed until 2015. MS will launch at the same time Windows 9, WP 9, Office for desktop and for touch, which is an universal app. This make sense I would do the same. Of course office for touch has to be free on Windows.

Cortana has to be everywhere because she has to know everything. If Cortana is not deployed to iOS and Android the quality of the service suffer.

Cortana is not a WP thing. Cortana is coming to Xbox and windows 9. Most users mix platforms, a windows PC and an android phone. An iPhone and Xbox. How Cortana can help those users if she doesn't know what they do in their non-Microsoft devices?

Services are more important than the OS. Services has to be everywhere, know everything.

If Microsoft locks their services in Windows that is suicide.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I think ms wants to be good to gadgets users in general they want to follow Google model earn through ad by giving it free.but still me plz don't give up Windows phone.it is best phone in the low end no lag or hang.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

AngrySprintUser

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
This is beyond idiotic on MS part. There needs to be features WP offers beyond the OS. Apple has Siri and imessaging. WP should have Cortana.

I don't understand how offering it to other platforms is going to help WP.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Somehow I feel that Nokia cares more about the WP platform than Microsoft !!!

No I don't think so they are advertising nokia x nd xl more in India compared to wp8.I want that Nokia x or xl to stop.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
please keep Cortana as windows exclusive – Feature Suggestions for Windows Phone

We are already losing the race, so why port one of our most unique services to the competition? :'(

Because Cortana is useless if she doesn't have access to the information in my other devices, or if she can't help me when I'm using them. My tv, my car, my wearable, tablets, phones, pcs, so many devices.

Siri will become irrelevant as iMessage if apple doesn't port it to other platforms.

emperor_skull

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Because Cortana is useless if she doesn't have access to the information in my other devices, or if she can't help me when I'm using them. My tv, my car, my wearable, tablets, phones, pcs, so many devices.

Siri will become irrelevant as iMessage if apple doesn't port it to other platforms.

If you need a real life PA get a human PA, we should know that Cortana is just a PDA Not a human PA that will handle everything a real human PA would

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No I don't think so they are advertising nokia x nd xl more in India compared to wp8.I want that Nokia x or xl to stop.

It seems that sales of the Nokia X are quite good. A new model is coming in a few weeks. Top apps are starting to support the platform.
This would be really good for MS and Windows.
If Mozilla can build a decent $25 phone, Microsoft Mobile has to adopt Firefox OS too.

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So Google doesn't provide Microsoft with any YouTube apps, but Microsoft provides Google with Microsoft apps that are even better than the ones on Microsoft's OS. Same situation with Apple, and now Cortana, who was exclusively designed for Windows operating systems is going to them, and i can almost guarantee that Cortana will work better for their OS... Microsoft, I have supported you for a long time, but you are just a bunch of wussies. Instead of diverting your efforts to your own OS you're improving others.... Does this make any sense? Sure you will be making money off of these two mobile OS juggernauts' but you're giving people zero reason to purchase a windowsphone. Which will make you lose money, and make the little time and effort(in comparison to Google and Apple) you put into this OS a complete waste. If not for the UI Apple and Google will have everything that windowsphones have, but better, in addition to the advantage that they already have. But Microsoft already knows that.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
This is another leg in the slow transition from WP to Android. Just as the saying goes " If you can't beat them, join them"...... MS is showing their cards and it seems they have already conceded that WP will never gain enough market share soon enough to be viable. If they really believed in WP it would be all hands on deck for every feature and app on the platform. Right now they are playing both sides, or hedging their bets if you will, so if WP does fail they already have apps and services in place on the other platforms to move forward. If wish they would just go " all in" , have a plan "B" but don't tell anyone for crying out loud......

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Cortana has barely been launched and already its useless because its not on ios and android? So why didn't Microsoft launch it there from the beginning and why hold it up as a core feature of WP at the build announcement? Plus I'd like to see your proof of siri and imessage becoming irrelevant because they are not on other platforms.

One thing is becoming clear. From Microsoft's point of view, its all about their services first and foremost and their operating systems come after that. Prioritizing other platforms over their own for touch Office, Skype is proof of that.

With the new CEO's mantra of mobile & cloud first this is further cemented and the offshoot of this is that WP in particular will not be considered a priority when the choice is between pushing WP or Microsoft;s services. They will obviously not abandon the platform in the immediate future but if push comes to shove WP will get the shaft. This is regardless of the fact that they just purchased the mobile hardware division from Nokia but as we've heard the new CEO wasn't a fan of that move so WP having less prominence isn't a surprise.

Lets also not forget that Microsoft is happily selling phones that run its competitors OS rather than their own ostensibly to get people to use their services and its clear that WP's success is secondary to Microsofts goal of pushing their services everywhere so this intended move shouldn't surprise anyone.

The sad truth is Microsoft themselves have mismanaged WP to such an extent that its in the pathetic marketshare state its in today and that's why its not in a position to help Microsoft push their services and they have to port the platform's core features to their competitors to stay relevant. And the end result of all this is that WP will continue to have low adoption, low developer investment and in turn low marketshare, and the vicious cycle will continue.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Why would I receive worse services from the company that I am supporting?
It's unfair don't you think?

Which phone do you own? I own a Nokia Icon, Nokia got the money for this purchase. Nokia also had free license to use Windows Phone because they are partners with Microsoft. I do not see your statement to be true in any form or fashion.

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Cortana has barely been launched and already its useless because its not on ios and android? So why didn't Microsoft launch it there from the beginning and why hold it up as a core feature of WP at the build announcement? Plus I'd like to see your proof of siri and imessage becoming irrelevant because they are not on other platforms.

One thing is becoming clear. From Microsoft's point of view, its all about their services first and foremost and their operating systems come after that. Prioritizing other platforms over their own for touch Office, Skype is proof of that.

With the new CEO's mantra of mobile & cloud first this is further cemented and the offshoot of this is that WP in particular will not be considered a priority when the choice is between pushing WP or Microsoft;s services. They will obviously not abandon the platform in the immediate future but if push comes to shove WP will get the shaft. This is regardless of the fact that they just purchased the mobile hardware division from Nokia but as we've heard the new CEO wasn't a fan of that move so WP having less prominence isn't a surprise.

Lets also not forget that Microsoft is happily selling phones that run its competitors OS rather than their own ostensibly to get people to use their services and its clear that WP's success is secondary to Microsofts goal of pushing their services everywhere so this intended move shouldn't surprise anyone.

The sad truth is Microsoft themselves have mismanaged WP to such an extent that its in the pathetic marketshare state its in today and that's why its not in a position to help Microsoft push their services and they have to port the platform's core features to their competitors to stay relevant. And the end result of all this is that WP will continue to have low adoption, low developer investment and in turn low marketshare, and the vicious cycle will continue.

While I agree with this and I do not think that WP will forever be low adoption. With their services being on other platforms new users will see how great their services are and start using their services more than their competitor's services.

Lets just face it though WP is not a priority. Its a great platform but like you said the mismanage by Microsoft has caused it to have low adoption and market share.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Google is trying to kill WP, so they don't support the platform. If WP grows enough they will have to support it.

Google has supported iOS as good or even better than Android since the beginning and that only made Android stronger.

Google Now already is in iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa