Cortana going to IOS and Android is heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't even makes sense, they should really think hard about this move. Making Cortana cross platform doesn't guarantee the adoption of cortana. The fact that Google now is available for IOS and they prefer siri doesn't help. Android users will only prefer google now while IOS users will only prefer Siri because google and apple will not sit back and watch Cortana run the show, they will always improve the integration of their own assistant.
The only thing Microsoft will achieve is pissing off alot of fans. Its not like these assistants are killer features of some kind, I use Cortana less and less since I upgraded my os. The hype will eventually die which makes this cross platform idea a waste of time and increase in unappreciated and angry fans.

At least they should finish the implementation (support for all regions included) and overall integration of cortana in the windows ecosystem before thinking about anything else. Its not even out of beta yet what are they thinking. Right now as it is there is really nothing amazing about Cortana that would call for such idea. Maybe if they implement something really crazy that blows the competition away then I can understand the advantage of having cortana cross platform.

Dantekai14

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I am also very disappointed.
We(WP user) haven't got Cortana yet and MS already thing to launch Cortana to other OS.

I think they should more focused on availability of Cortana to every wp users first.(every country)

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
How does releasing, say, Cortana, on other platforms prevent MS from offering the best experience on WP?

Umm have you not been reading this thread? Go look at the other MS services on other platforms right now. I don't have a lot of faith in MS to deliver a better experience to WP here. Skype should be the perfect example...

It's kind of contradictory here to release an app with a poor performance on another platform and expect it to adopt users to WP from those platforms. However, by giving it the "best" experience on these other platforms...users "might" flock to WP...but no guarantee since everything already exists on that platform they're using.

IMO, it seems like a gamble. With the smartphone market changing rapidly and it being a hard barrier to entry...my guess is that if MS continues to release "exclusive" apps on WP to other platforms, they'll be just shooting them in their own foot and **** off their own users. (Like Tahiti Bob said). No one is going to adopt another OS because of just one service. However if all services are available on that platform, what's the point of switching or staying with WP? I see no reason. -other than the simplicity of WP and the tile interface why stay on WP then?

Last edited:

Psyk00

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
There's a long and bumpy road from considering options and doing sth so chill out. Besides Microsoft strategy now is "cloud first, mobile first" with the addition of quality hardware. Just look at the Surface Pro 3 - brilliant build, usability and capabilities. I'll choose one for my 3rd gen iPad any time. Sure it has apps, really nice mobile games, but can I play Planescape Torment (best RPG, perios) on it or countless list of classic or newer games? Nope, only Candy Crush and other touch based titles with poor as hell gameplay compared to console/PC games.

Microsoft has the resources, years of experience and history of ongoing success. Just hold your horses and let the dragon swoop from his lair to hunt some sheep.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Umm have you not been reading this thread? Go look at the other MS services on other platforms right now. I don't have a lot of faith in MS to deliver a better experience to WP here. Skype should be the perfect example...

No. Nothing prevents Microsoft from offering a good experience on WP. For some reason, they choose not to do so - I assume because of Windows Phone's low market share.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
To me Cortana and the other assistant in their current form are a gimmick, a hack. But this is just the beginning, all the big tech companies are investing heavily in AI and natural interfaces so they will improve fast.
These kind of system go beyond any device or OS, those barriers doesn't make sense. Few people use only one platform and as the number of devices grows and tech penetrates more deeply every single aspect of of life is less likely that a single company will dominate everything. This intelligence and source of information has to be ubiquitous.
So an AI engine that only has access to a fraction of your information and can be used only in a few number of devices is crippled. In other words Google Now will eat Siri alive.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Which phone do you own? I own a Nokia Icon, Nokia got the money for this purchase. Nokia also had free license to use Windows Phone because they are partners with Microsoft. I do not see your statement to be true in any form or fashion.

Do you have a reference for the claim that Nokia didn't pay for Windows Phone? I know Microsoft gave Nokia many hundreds of millions of euros in "support", and of course things may be different now, but to the best of my knowledge, Nokia had to pay for WP.

If what you say is true, it's hardly surprising that other manufacturers have shown so little interest in WP.

xconomicron

Sep 20, 2007
Visit site
No. Nothing prevents Microsoft from offering a good experience on WP. For some reason, they choose not to do so - I assume because of Windows Phone's low market share.

Exactly....due to the low market share, it makes " sense" to push out apps to other platforms with a higher market share...however, by choosing not to release an optimal and better experience on their own platform, then it only hurts them in the long run.

Example: Say this user, Bob, really likes the MS services on IOS...he decides to upgrade to a WP because of these services. Bob gets on the WP platform and realizes that the same services that he was using on ios are much worse on WP...while expecting a better or equal experience. Disappointment is all that comes to mind in Bob's head. Bob probably felt duped. What keeps Bob from staying on the platform and go back to IOS? -other than WP's tile interface and simplicity? Nothing.

Is MS thinking about retention rate here?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I think that WP OS restrictions are a big part of the reason as well. I believe that Microsoft would release better WP apps if it were possible, in spite of negligible market share.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
It seems that sales of the Nokia X are quite good. A new model is coming in a few weeks. Top apps are starting to support the platform.
This would be really good for MS and Windows.
If Mozilla can build a decent $25 phone, Microsoft Mobile has to adopt Firefox OS too.

they could use WP7 for that instead of firefox OS or android,itll give the old OS a new lease of life
WP7 is lighter on the system than WP8 and makes for a perfect budget OS imho

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Google is trying to kill WP, so they don't support the platform. If WP grows enough they will have to support it.

Google has supported iOS as good or even better than Android since the beginning and that only made Android stronger.

Google Now already is in iOS.

Btw, Google Now is also available on Windows. It's part of the Chrome browser.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Google is trying to kill WP, so they don't support the platform. If WP grows enough they will have to support it.

Google has supported iOS as good or even better than Android since the beginning and that only made Android stronger.

Google Now already is in iOS.
This is Microsoft's problem, always trying, miserably I might add, to copy whoever is popular. Instead of innovating they say "Oh, Apple is doing this, let's do that too! Oh Google is beating them now, let's do what they're doing. It hasn't worked out too well for them, as of late. Maybe they should stop focusing so much on the lame cloud and focus on supporting each others divisions better. I know, it's Microsoft we're talking about here, the "Civil War" company. They'll never support each other, just Apple and Google.

luismfarelo

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Well RIP Windows Phone... Microsoft is going the way of Blackberry... Today I couldn't even share photos to Facebook on my WP, this whole app situation is pathetic, and now Microsoft giving Cortana to iOS and Android, selling Android X devices. I will be jumping ship soon, MS clearly has no strategy.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Well RIP Windows Phone... Microsoft is going the way of Blackberry... Today I couldn't even share photos to Facebook on my WP, this whole app situation is pathetic, and now Microsoft giving Cortana to iOS and Android, selling Android X devices. I will be jumping ship soon, MS clearly has no strategy.

Use Facebook app, post photo, voila. I dont see whats wrong.
MS is CONSIDERING sending Cortana places, and they have explained the pros and cons I believe.
The Nokia X (NOT "Android X") devices are even lower end and aren't exactly flagships.

I don't know if i like it, but MS might be looking at the big picture too much.

Goodbye!

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Wow this forums is clearly in ruins. :/

I remember when this forums was VERY active and happy. But..... opposite now.

Sucks for the Wpcentral website

Last edited:

Cleavitt76

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
There is so much FUD and drama in this thread it is crazy. So many of you are upset about a hypothetical discussion. I don't know how some of you cope with real problems in life if you get this upset about this situation. Get a grip.

The MS developer didn't say that there are plans for Cortana on iOS or Android. He didn't even say it was likely. He was just talking philosophically about whether Cortana should be considered a service, product, or ecosystem/OS feature. Then he talked about some of the pros and cons of each of those models and how they might affect the overall experience. He was basically just talking out loud and very informally (this was recorded on someone's cell phone for god's sake) about some of the things that might need to be considered down the road. He also said very clearly that Windows Phone, Windows, and Xbox are by far the highest priority.

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. I have doubts that it's even possible to get a full Windows Phone like Cortana experience on iOS or Android. For Cortana to be intelligent enough to be useful she needs to be tied into a lot of different things. In other words, Cortana really needs lower level access than what a third party app can do. She needs to be incorporated into the OS to be efficient and to really shine. Apple and Google are not going to help add Cortana into their OSes and I doubt that level of integration will be possible as an app (especially on iOS). For example, Google Now on iOS can't run in the background so it's much more limited in what it knows and what it can do. You basically have to open it, feed it information, and ask it questions. That makes it more like a somewhat customized search engine than a digital personal assistant. That is not the same experience as having Cortana learn things on her own and tell you things without you asking or even having the app open. It would be the difference between an app that lets you "remotely access" Cortana vs. having Cortana "living in your phone."

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

What are you waiting for? iPhones, Galaxies and G3s await...

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Btw, Google Now is also available on Windows. It's part of the Chrome browser.

How does that count, you have to use their browser first to get that feature. Are RT users able to install chrome? Completely different than releasing it as a standalone app or a service that can be installed.

luismfarelo

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
Use Facebook app, post photo, voila. I dont see whats wrong.
MS is CONSIDERING sending Cortana places, and they have explained the pros and cons I believe.
The Nokia X (NOT "Android X") devices are even lower end and aren't exactly flagships.

I don't know if i like it, but MS might be looking at the big picture too much.

Goodbye!

I would post the photo, if I could, the app crashes, could only post to Instagram which even being Beta is better than this lame excuse of Facebook app developed by MS.
But thanks anyway for your response, it was enlightening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss