Cortana going to IOS and Android is heartbreaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I would post the photo, if I could, the app crashes, could only post to Instagram which even being Beta is better than this lame excuse of Facebook app developed by MS.
But thanks anyway for your response, it was enlightening

Actually. The next update for Facebook is going to be developed by Facebook themselves with also MS. So I'm all good with that. But I have no doubt that the Facebook app is much faster than the ones on IOS and Android and more familiar

luismfarelo

Mar 7, 2014
Visit site
What are you waiting for? iPhones, Galaxies and G3s await...

These devices will await lots of discontent WP users if MS doesn't get their s**t together. I love the simplicity of WP and the Live Tiles, but clearly WP is just an afterthought for MS, I understand we don't get to have Google apps, but now even MS apps are better on competing platforms. And what's with this Nokia X strategy? The Nokia X should be an entry level device below the Lumias but in Europe it's selling for more than the Lumia 520. What's the logic in this? Clearly MS doesn't have much faith in WP striving and is making a plan B, this could be good for MS, but not for WP, why are we even supporting this platform then? Just my two cents.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
How does that count, you have to use their browser first to get that feature. Are RT users able to install chrome? Completely different than releasing it as a standalone app or a service that can be installed.

I'm not sure what your point is. How does it count as what? As far as I know, Chrome is not available for Windows RT, but I'm no expert and I have absolutely no idea why you are asking the question.
You have to install Chrome on your PC to use Google Now, as it's built into the executable. It's not (just) a webpage and will not work in other browsers.
For your further information, Google Now is also available on iOS. It's part of the Google Search app. I hope this fact doesn't make you as angry as my last post did.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't personally think Cortana will be on the other mobile OS's anytime soon for various reasons, mostly technical, legal, and due to competition. I do believe MS needs to watch what they say, and they need to focus everything on their OS's and accompanying services. If they make the mistake of going all in on services without the historical push for the OS, then they are doomed. Why? Because services can be duplicated and implemented much easier than an OS. If Android ends up being the OS that is used for everything, like Windows has been, then MS will loose the platform tie-in that has historically allowed them to dominate in the OS, Office, and IT services arenas. All it would take in the future is for one company to come up with a much more compelling set of services than MS and they could easily win market share if the OS is not part of the equation.

MS needs to push WP far, far more than they are currently. It needs to be their primary focus, and it needs to have the services FIRST, and it needs to offer more features and better integration of those services than what is offered on competing platforms. If they don't do this, then they will never gain more than a marginal mobile OS share, and this will also greatly impact usage of Windows on PC's and Tablets (more so the latter than the former). Cortana alone isn't going to win WP converts. Cortana with a great Office experience, superior enterprise/business support, a better and highly integrated Skype, and other features that are exclusive to WP, however, would. WP needs to have a number of key advantages that, when combined, offer a significant advantage over iOS and Android for users in countries where MS is still having a hard time breaking through, especially the US. It's about the platform in total, not just a couple of wow bang features.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't personally think Cortana will be on the other mobile OS's anytime soon for various reasons, mostly technical, legal, and due to competition. I do believe MS needs to watch what they say, and they need to focus everything on their OS's and accompanying services. If they make the mistake of going all in on services without the historical push for the OS, then they are doomed. Why? Because services can be duplicated and implemented much easier than an OS. If Android ends up being the OS that is used for everything, like Windows has been, then MS will loose the platform tie-in that has historically allowed them to dominate in the OS, Office, and IT services arenas. All it would take in the future is for one company to come up with a much more compelling set of services than MS and they could easily win market share if the OS is not part of the equation.

MS needs to push WP far, far more than they are currently. It needs to be their primary focus, and it needs to have the services FIRST, and it needs to offer more features and better integration of those services than what is offered on competing platforms. If they don't do this, then they will never gain more than a marginal mobile OS share, and this will also greatly impact usage of Windows on PC's and Tablets (more so the latter than the former). Cortana alone isn't going to win WP converts. Cortana with a great Office experience, superior enterprise/business support, a better and highly integrated Skype, and other features that are exclusive to WP, however, would. WP needs to have a number of key advantages that, when combined, offer a significant advantage over iOS and Android for users in countries where MS is still having a hard time breaking through, especially the US. It's about the platform in total, not just a couple of wow bang features.

Agreed. Right now. While Microsoft is a software company. They did say that their first priority is to get WP8.1 into customers hands and OEMs. Which is working pretty well

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Falconrap,

There are many excellent free and open source operating systems. So, there is no value there. The value is in the ecosystem, and WP already lost the battle there.
They have to make profitable the services. Without services Windows Phone would die.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
They have to make profitable the services. Without services Windows Phone would die.

Except their services aren't profitable either. Office 365 is the only exception I'm aware of. AFAIK all other services are big money losers, and that isn't expected to change anytime soon.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Except their services aren't profitable either. Office 365 is the only exception I'm aware of. AFAIK all other services are big money losers, and that isn't expected to change anytime soon.

No. Online services is also getting MS profit. Bing and other online services is no longer the money loser that people say. Since Microsoft is using advertisement to pay it of

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Marcus Ash, the guy in the video talking about the possibility of bringing Cortana to iOS and Android posted a message in the comments section of the original article.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No. Online services is also getting MS profit. Bing and other online services is no longer the money loser that people say. Since Microsoft is using advertisement to pay it of

Have you got anything official supporting that? The last time I looked at official numbers none of their services were profitable.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Falconrap,

There are many excellent free and open source operating systems. So, there is no value there. The value is in the ecosystem, and WP already lost the battle there.

Open source OS's mostly suck compared to Windows. Maybe not for techies, but the average user wants no part of them (Android isn't really open source...at least not totally, save the non-Google fork that is losing pretty much all the key services from it). I've been through DOS, Win3.x, OS/2 2.x - Warp 4 (still one of the best operating systems to ever grace the planet), and all the Windows versions since. It's the combination of the OS and the ecosystem available for it. Which is my argument. MS needs to have the services, apps, and features that make its OS stand out, and, subsequently, lock people into that OS's ecosystem. If they keep providing their stuff for the other OS's, then their own ecosystem/OS combination provides no advantage.

Remember, there is no ecosystem without the OS to run it. And without an ecosystem that compels people to use it, via features and apps only available on it, there is no growth with it. MS needs to turn this around. They have the ability, they just need to stop taking the short term outlook on using iOS and Android to keep their services at the top, and, instead, push Windows and WP as the place you can get the top features and apps the MS has.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Android, Tizen, Firefox OS, Sailfish, Ubuntu, BB10 (not free but cheap).

There are many good operating system. The cost of developing an OS is insignificant compared with the investment that third party developers do building apps.

This is a very different world compared to the ancient times. The OS is irrelevant, apps, services and brand is everything. People don't care about the OS, in fact switching from iOS to Android or the other way is easy.

Even if Microsoft sells all their assets and spend all the money in WP they wouldn't get all the apps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss