Which phone?

bushwhacked

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I am due for an upgrade here in august ... We are due for our first child in October. I am wanting a good phone to take pics and all that stuff. I am wanting a phone to do it all so I don't have to carry around a camera as well.

So I am curious what would be my best options?

Or should I wait for the newer 1530 to show up??

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I am due for an upgrade here in august ... We are due for our first child in October. I am wanting a good phone to take pics and all that stuff. I am wanting a phone to do it all so I don't have to carry around a camera as well.

So I am curious what would be my best options?

Or should I wait for the newer 1530 to show up??

As you don't want to carry camera you should got for 1020 it is the best camera smartphone.
If you want big screen with good camera and better battery life expandable storage then 1520
According to me you should get 1520
And microsoft might announce new lumia in October or November and in shop it might come in December so if you can wait till then skip the upgrade for now.

benrp

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
Why not get the Lumia 930? It has the same camera as the 1520 which isn't as high res as the 1020 but still good, but it also has the 1080p screen, snapdragon 800 processor and built in wireless charging. Its also a good size at 5". I think for most people the 930 will be the best all rounder till the end of the year when "Nokia McLaren" may be announced.

Akash Patel

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Why not get the Lumia 930? It has the same camera as the 1520 which isn't as high res as the 1020 but still good, but it also has the 1080p screen, snapdragon 800 processor and built in wireless charging. Its also a good size at 5". I think for most people the 930 will be the best all rounder till the end of the year when "Nokia McLaren" may be announced.

The only drawback he might come across will be storage I guess so I suggested him to go for 1520.
Yaa McLaren will be awesome but It might come in December so I suggested him to get 1520 or if he can wait then wait till december

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
1320 has okay camera, 1020 has the best camera in smartphone industry and 1520 isn't far behind, but the phone is massive.
Camera aside, 1520 has better hardware than 1020.
930 is a good choice too, comfortable 5" and all the great new specs, and great camera as well (and you can get an orange one, so that's a plus). It lacks glance though, which is something I got really used to on my 925, and wouldn't want a phone without it anymore.

Jan Tomsic

May 8, 2013
Visit site
The only drawback he might come across will be storage I guess so I suggested him to go for 1520.
Yaa McLaren will be awesome but It might come in December so I suggested him to get 1520 or if he can wait then wait till december

930 comes with 32GB no? That's plenty of storage for months of photos, and you can upload them to onedrive on the fly and delete them from the phone. An sd card would be nice I guess, but I think with 32gb it's not that big of an issue.

bushwhacked

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughts so far! I think at the moment the 1020 is leading. Not sure I could wait till December for the mclaren ... Now if it came out lat October or first week nov ... Then maybe

Size doesn't matter... I have a 64gb sd card I use in my lumia 520 now that I will switch into it

Miska Hietala

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
I would highly recommend 1020. Pictures it takes are in their own class, and the price of 1020 has gone down I believe so it is excellent phone for its price. The screen isn't full HD, but then again I don't see why one would need it. The hw 1020 has is inferior to its siblings, but then again WP is so fine tuned OS it runs absolutely smooth even on my wife's 520!
Pictures this beauty takes are astounding for a smartphone. (low-light pictures in its own class too). And should you need to use flash, the xenon flash is superior to commonly used ones.
Downside is it takes some seconds to take pictures one after another.(no problem also with little before hand planning)

jevel

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
As a reasonably fresh dad myself, I had the same debate around February. I have been an iOS and Android user primarily the last few years, but compared the available camera options out there and bought a 1020. The camera produces pictures in a class of its own compared to any other phone I have compared it to.

But as a dad it also has weak spots. The most important one is speed. It's in no aspect a slow camera, but it ain't a speedy one either. Pair that with small kids, and you will have quite a few blurry shots.

But all in all I really recommend the handset. It's a really solid phone.

-KJ

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I really think Nokia (MS) needs to focus on their camera speed. I use a 1020 but it is definitely slow. Burst mode just doesn't cut it... we need faster individual shots with a smaller delay between.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I really think Nokia (MS) needs to focus on their camera speed. I use a 1020 but it is definitely slow. Burst mode just doesn't cut it... we need faster individual shots with a smaller delay between.
Its a tradeoff. You are trading off not just 41 mp but raw ability as well. In a phone no less. Slrs struggle with that. I haven't toyed with my wife's 1020 enough to know buy if its that annoying toy with the settings and see if it allows you to shoot lower quality shots.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't take your poll since you didn't include the 930/Icon :shocked: Unless you are a total compact photo aficionado, I can't recommend the 1020 to you though it has the best camera hardware undoubtedly. The other two have very large screens, the 1320 (which I've held in my hand) is absolutely massive and although it is the same 6" screen as the 1520, it's actually taller and wider overall. Again, unless oversize display is absolutely important, you might come to regret it. If those were your only choices though, then I guess I'd pick the ever so slightly smaller 1520 simply because it has the 20MP PureView technology that the 1320 does not.

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
1020 is nice phone. I love the design and pretty responsive. As normal user i like to recomended you to stay stiil at black with 8.0 until cyan + 8.1 finally released. Unless you want to try great feature with somebugs and little trouble

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest you get a Lumia 521 off-contract, and that McLaren phone in November. Unless HTC, LG, Sony, and Lenovo come out with some WP's before then.

bushwhacked

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Hey bushwhacked I will suggest you to upgrade to lumia 1020. And do share some great photos of the young one :)
And here is the perfect guide for photography http://forums.windowscentral.com/gu...so-you-want-take-better-pictures-[guide].html

Thanks for the link I'll read up on the article when I get a chance

I would suggest you get a Lumia 521 off-contract, and that McLaren phone in November. Unless HTC, LG, Sony, and Lenovo come out with some WP's before then.

I have a 520 now that I like ... No real hurry to get rid of it. Just preparing for my next upgrade with my new baby in mind

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786