Microsoft, scrapping things and starting over... and failure...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft panicked with the rise of the web at the end of the 90s. The idea at that time was that the web was going to eat everything (chromebooks?) and Microsoft didn't have a browser.
So they got their top guys and form a team to save MS from the web thread.
That team did such a great job that they introduced most of the tech that is the base of the modern web.
But when MS destroyed Netscape reaching over 98% of market share, I think they

I believe this memo from Bill Gates is what you are referring to. http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/exhibits/20.pdf

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I was referring to an article published in wmpoweruser or maybe microsoft-news, written by a former MS engineer. I don't have the link.

There is also a video in channel 9 in which, Michael Wallent (at that time), explain these things. Her name now is Megan Wallent.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to an article published in wmpoweruser or maybe microsoft-news, written by a former MS engineer. I don't have the link.

There is also a video in channel 9 in which, Michael Wallent (at that time), explain these things. Her name now is Megan Wallent.

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why you thought it was necessary to mention this person's transgender status. Why didn't you go ahead and post this person's address, bra size and how big his **** used to be? Major uncool dude.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has ruled the computer world in the 90's right up until Mac OS X came out. Until that point, they called the shots, they decided what was good and bad. IE was the most liked browser in comparison to Netscape and AOL.

Then Apple released Mac OS X. For the first time, an OS wasn't just useful, it was beautiful. Shortly before, Apple started releasing computer with colours, moking their beige PC counterparts.

During that time, Microsoft released Windows XP which, at the beginning, got a lot of hatred. Then they got working on Windows Longhorn which was supposed to be XP's successor. But when they saw how popular Mac was becoming, they scrapped it and started from scratch which made Vista come out 5 years after XP... and fully slowed down and buggy.

What is the marketshare of MACs? Windows still owns 90%+ of the marketshare.

The only thing popular and superior about Apple products are iPhones, iPads and iPods.

(typed from a 2011 iMAC), Windows has always blown Macs out of the water, Windows 8.1 is much better than MAC osX "IMHO" ( I own both MACs, iOS devices, windows phones and Windows devices)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What is the marketshare of MACs? Windows still owns 90%+ of the marketshare.

The only thing popular and superior about Apple products are iPhones, iPads and iPods.

(typed from a 2011 iMAC), Windows has always blown Macs out of the water, Windows 8.1 is much better than MAC osX "IMHO" ( I own both MACs, iOS devices, windows phones and Windows devices)

Not always. Windows overtook OSX starting with W7.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
We were talking about desktop UI, not market share. OSX was much nicer than XP and my comment was about Windows 7 and its auto-hide dock, Aero, pinning apps to the taskbar,etc.

Oh yes, OSX was much better. In some ways still better than W7. I can't believe Microsoft hasn't added workspaces yet. But their changes to OSX lately are weird. The maximize window functionality is frustrating.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes, OSX was much better. In some ways still better than W7. I can't believe Microsoft hasn't added workspaces yet. But their changes to OSX lately are weird. The maximize window functionality is frustrating.

Agreed. Maverick would never have gotten past Jobs. Say what you will about him, he knew what he wanted and made sure that form followed function.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I've been scratching my head trying to figure out why you thought it was necessary to mention this person's transgender status. ...

I understand this person still works in MS. I don't know what name you have to use to search for the video. Besides, these things aren't common where I live, I guess It's interesting for me.

Anyways, the video is good, she explain how they convinced Gates to drop the web and develop WPF/Silverlight which was a total failure. 10 years later MS said -our strategy has shifted- dropped Silverlight and now they're pushing web technologies as an application platform again.

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has ruled the computer world in the 90's right up until Mac OS X came out. Until that point, they called the shots, they decided what was good and bad. IE was the most liked browser in comparison to Netscape and AOL.

Then Apple released Mac OS X. For the first time, an OS wasn't just useful, it was beautiful. Shortly before, Apple started releasing computer with colours, moking their beige PC counterparts.

During that time, Microsoft released Windows XP which, at the beginning, got a lot of hatred. Then they got working on Windows Longhorn which was supposed to be XP's successor. But when they saw how popular Mac was becoming,

OS X popular? Have you seen the users statistics for OS:s?

When I met my wife she had a MAC, and she told me MAC was the best, and that MAC OS was much better and more intuitive and simple to use than Windows. I myself had used Windows all my life, so I gave MAC OS a go. I found MAC OS to be way more confusing than Windows. Apps wouldn't fully close, unless you press command key + X, yes, really intuitive.. No delete button, as you somehow only need a backspace button in MAC OS while typing??? Only one mouse button, forcing you to always have to go to the "command field" up top, no shortcuts like you have on right click in windows. Almost no compatible programs, and when you found them, installations often where buggy or failed. This also applied to USB accessories, nothing was plug and play, and almost everything you bought had to be MAC branded and was way more expensive, or it wouldn't work with the computer.

I had more issues but luckily most of them has been forgotten, since I we don't use the MAC these days. Today, my wife only uses Windows, she thinks Windows is much easier and more intuitive to use.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Well..I got my first Mac last month and love it compared to any Windows desktop .

Folks are just set in their ways,I know I was,but my iMac running Maverick is simple to use and understand,and the support I have received from the Apple store is light years ahead of any I have ever received from anyplace else I have ever purchased a computer from. I use a Logitech mouse and both Apples keyboard and super track pad and it works fantastic.

I don't see how folks can say it's difficult to master now heck they even have everything set up and ready to go when you get home with it,and won't let you leave without making sure you can work with it.

I know my opinion doesn't mean a lot but while I like how my WP looks,I dislike how a Windows desktop looks with Win 8.1.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I never said Mac OS X was MORE popular than Windows.

Up until OSX, Mac was seen as a marginal, "not compatible with PC" machine. Very few people were using it and its cost was of course absurdly high (and still is in my opinion).

The OSX came out, and as someone pointed out, with Intel processors. Apple's OS was a beautiful, well built and now you could use the same file on both Mac and PC. Apple then proceeded in turning to people saying "If you're a spreadsheet boring beige type of person, then by all means, stay with Windows and PCs. But if you're a fun, creative, colorful person, for your everyday stuff, then Macs are the way to go!"

And people seemed to have bought that... Mac OS was becoming more popular than it was and was no longer just a marginal OS anymore.

Microsoft didn't want to lose their non business shares and tried to make Windows as beautiful (or more) than OS x (Vista).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs