Piracy in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Those prices are unreasonable. Higher than for us even.

What is the current price for Windows 8.1 "single language edition" in your region?

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. Those prices are unreasonable. Higher than for us even.

What is the current price for Windows 8.1 "single language edition" in your region?

We're are talking about piracy here, it's free LOL. Just kidding.

Currently I haven't found any Windows 8.1 in stores. We have Windows 8 and it stands for about 200-250$. Maybe we get 8.1 in late autumn. Things late here a lil bit..

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at Wikipedia. There exists a 'single language edition', just like there are 'professional', 'home' and 'enterprise' editions. The 'single language edition' can be U.S. English.

That is what I'm asking about.

BataBole

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is brutal. I remember when Windows Vista came out. Prices went like this: Vista basic 200$, Vista home 300$, Vista professional 400$ and Vista ultimate 500$.

Lets face it, Bosnia is poor country where medical doctors have salary about 500-700$ so we can't afford original/genuine products. And then we go to pirate bay and get it for free.

Conclusion is this, piracy is important part of our lives here. Don't get me wrong, I'm not supporting it, but that's just the way it is.

Sorry...but if you are advocating the practices and actively using pirated software then you are supporting it regardless what your financial circumstance happen to be.

As what has been said...theft is theft

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Sorry...but if you are advocating the practices and actively using pirated software then you are supporting it regardless what your financial circumstance happen to be.

As what has been said...theft is theft

It's not like that, you have to understand that there are many countries where people lives with very low salaries, and it's hard to justify spending half what you earn in a month buying a copy of Windows. Normally the prices are higher for software and technology in third world countries..... imagine if you're a uni student it is almost impossible to cover the cost in software alone...

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
You can now side load windows phone apps with app studio. This is the dawn of the pirates ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 9

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It's not like that, you have to understand that there are many countries where people lives with very low salaries, and it's hard to justify spending half what you earn in a month buying a copy of Windows. Normally the prices are higher for software and technology in third world countries..... imagine if you're a uni student it is almost impossible to cover the cost in software alone...

Agree with MDMcAtee. Theft is theft. I come from a third world nation also and now I live in the United States. The Dominican Republic to be exact. Piracy exist there too. And piracy is not the only option there. Family members and some villagers ask for support from fellow Dominicans here in the states when they want to purchase something current. Bosnia or what ever is no excuse.

There has to be some work around in this guy region.

Plainly said like MDMcAtee said piracy is theft and I wont support it.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Agree with MDMcAtee. Theft is theft. I come from a third world nation also and now I live in the United States. The Dominican Republic to be exact. Piracy exist there too. And piracy is not the only option there. Family members and some villagers ask for support from fellow Dominicans here in the states when they want to purchase something current. Bosnia or what ever is no excuse.

I disagree slightly with this. If you absolutely cannot afford the 100 and whatever dollars that it takes to buy Windows and you'll either download Windows for free (but you'll use, say, the free Windows store money from Bing to buy apps) or download Linux for free, I'm ok with stealing a copy of Windows. I (and I assume Microsoft too) would rather someone spend, say, $20 in the Windows ecosystem as opposed to downloading Linux and spending none. Obviously Microsoft would prefer you buy Windows THEN spend $20 on apps, but something is better than nothing and some people just cannot afford it.

(as a disclaimer, I fully admit to legally buying 100% of my copies of Windows)

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Its quite simple.... If you want it and cant afford it...then save up. How would you like it if you spent months making an app and hoping to get paid only for people like you to pirate the software. Did it ever occur to you that some things you pirated maybe made by someone in a 3rd world country trying to make some money ?? Obviously not. But knowing a high percentage of piracy includes bugs in the programmes is a little bit of comfort to me. Just remember one thing tho... If you get mugged and robbed in the street...dont cry and go to the police..after all its just piracy and he took from you what you took from some one else

josh715m

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site

I kind of agree that sometimes there is a workaround, I for example buy some software from the US and bring it to my country through some courier. I'm know that it's not fair to steal the work from other people. But there are other software like Solidworks which it's too expensive and I couldn't afford it, anyway I only used it like 20 times. I even got in contact with them trying to get a student discount but my country was not officially supported. So no luck.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I disagree slightly with this. If you absolutely cannot afford the 100 and whatever dollars that it takes to buy Windows and you'll either download Windows for free (but you'll use, say, the free Windows store money from Bing to buy apps) or download Linux for free, I'm ok with stealing a copy of Windows. I (and I assume Microsoft too) would rather someone spend, say, $20 in the Windows ecosystem as opposed to downloading Linux and spending none. Obviously Microsoft would prefer you buy Windows THEN spend $20 on apps, but something is better than nothing and some people just cannot afford it.

(as a disclaimer, I fully admit to legally buying 100% of my copies of Windows)

Your point is valid for long term used if piracy stops at a purchased of a Windows software. But the sad truth is piracy will continue through the life cycle of this purchase.

I understand your point. It it will be valid only if your suggestion stand.

Problem: From experience in the hood of NY. Once a pirate a pirate for life.

Meaning apps and other purchases will be made from the black market also.

This applies to everything imaginable not just Software.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Its quite simple.... If you want it and cant afford it...then save up. How would you like it if you spent months making an app and hoping to get paid only for people like you to pirate the software. Did it ever occur to you that some things you pirated maybe made by someone in a 3rd world country trying to make some money ?? Obviously not. But knowing a high percentage of piracy includes bugs in the programmes is a little bit of comfort to me. Just remember one thing tho... If you get mugged and robbed in the street...dont cry and go to the police..after all its just piracy and he took from you what you took from some one else

Or to put it another way using the example that I gave above: Would you rather someone pirate an app that you made, but download IAPs and give you ad revenue or would you rather someone just use a competitor's app? I'm assuming the 2nd option.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Your point is valid for long term used if piracy stops at a purchased of Windows a software. But the sad truth is piracy will continue through the life cycle of this purchase.

I understand your point. It it will be valid only if your suggestion stand.

Problem: From experience in the hood of NY. Once a pirate a pirate for life.

Meaning apps and other purchases will be made from the black market also.

This applies to everything imaginable not just Software.

I understand what you're saying and I realize that does happen, but its not always the case.

Take the hit TV series Game of Thrones for example. The, I believe, producer of the show has said that its 100% ok to pirate every episode of the show because those pirates are more likely to spend money on merchandise and stuff like that that still supports the show. Obviously that doesn't always happen, but by giving someone access to Windows, while it wont make someone spend money on other software, it will make them more likely to, and a slight chance is better than no chance (as it would be if someone downloaded Linux).

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I kind of agree that sometimes there is a workaround, I for example buy some software from the US and bring it to my country through some courier. I'm know that it's not fair to steal the work from other people. But there are other software like Solidworks which it's too expensive and I couldn't afford it, anyway I only used it like 20 times. I even got in contact with them trying to get a student discount but my country was not officially supported. So no luck.

Keep looking josh715m MSFT makes it easy and perhaps is the most charitable Organization in the world in terms of free.

I agree you do have to know where to look.

Besides like a black market movie. Pirate software is horrible. Why support it?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I understand what you're saying and I realize that does happen, but its not always the case.

Take the hit TV series Game of Thrones for example. The, I believe, producer of the show has said that its 100% ok to pirate every episode of the show because those pirates are more likely to spend money on merchandise and stuff like that that still supports the show. Obviously that doesn't always happen, but by giving someone access to Windows, while it wont make someone spend money on other software, it will make them more likely to, and a slight chance is better than no chance (as it would be if someone downloaded Linux).

Ok. This is all I have left to say.

My NL 925 bought at T-Mobile is flawless. I haven't experienced any faults like many users of NL 925 through out the world. Not just in these forums.

1. My phone is authentic
2. Only authentic apps make my app list.
3. Third party apps are not an exemption.
4. Every MSFT software on my phone was purchased from MSFT

Thus my Windows Phone experience is Excellent.

Last words: Piracy is a crime and is theft. It is also a state of mind.

Sometimes I save up for months just to purchase a .99 cents app.

You can do the same.

Last but not least a authentic experience is flawless.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Ok. This is all I have left to say.

My NL 925 bought at T-Mobile is flawless. I haven't experienced any faults like many users of NL 925 through out the world. Not just in these forums.

1. My phone is authentic
2. Only authentic apps make my app lie.
3. Third party apps are not an exemption.
4. Every MSFT is from MSFT

Thus my Windows Phone experience.
Excellent.

Last words: Piracy is a crime and is theft. It is also a state of mind.

Sometimes I save up for months just to purchase a .99 cents app. You can do the same.

Last but not least a authentic experience is flawless.

I completely understand what you mean. That's why I always legally buy my copies of things that I want.

However, I have more money than people in 3rd world countries and if you're the type of person who only makes $1000 USD a year, it would be suicide (sometimes literally) to spend $200 on a piece of software.

I say if you can afford it, then buy it, but if you can't (and lets be honest here, some people legitimately can't) then by all means choose free Windows over free Linux.

That's what I believe and we'll have to agree to disagree.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I completely understand what you mean. That's why I always legally buy my copies of things that I want.

However, I have more money than people in 3rd world countries and if you're the type of person who only makes $1000 USD a year, it would be suicide (sometimes literally) to spend $200 on a piece of software.

I say if you can afford it, then buy it, but if you can't (and lets be honest here, some people legitimately can't) then by all means choose free Windows over free Linux.

That's what I believe and we'll have to agree to disagree.

Oh yeah, absolutely, if you can't afford it steal it...

Yeaaaah right....sheesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa