Piracy in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
And you all that are against piracy,you didnt download any software that is cracked or similar??? Bravo for you,in this century and internet that is spreading every second? I admire you really,no joke....

I did, when I was much younger (teenager). I don't do it anymore. I don't expect people to know what's wright or wrong from birth on, but at one point people should start to think about their actions and the consequences.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
And you all that are against piracy,you didnt download any software that is cracked or similar??? Bravo for you,in this century and internet that is spreading every second? I admire you really,no joke....

No sir...and when I see pirated software being pushed by someone it gets reported. Same for bootleg movies or music or apps in the stores that allows any.

Like I said before it isn't a matter of life and death,it's a choice between being honest or not.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
No..theft is theft. Only those who are trying to make a pisspoor argument are claiming that it isn't.

What a moronic argument you choose to use for your justification of pirating software. Just because I choose not to look at something doesn't mean I am stealing....and for you to try to argue this speaks volumes for the type of person you choose to be.

If I'm not mistaken, and I am not, I was writing in my first post that I buy all my software. I also never said that piracy is right or should be supported. Quite the opposite. I don't really know where your anger is coming from.

I was asking this question here because for me it's a very similar problem: If you acquire a unauthorized copy of Windows, there's nothing missing at another place. There's no direct damage. The damage is the money that a company (and the entire trade chain) loses because of it.

If you block ads, there's nothing missing, but the damage is the money the company loses because of it.

And just as a reminder: Google, Bing, Facebook, Twitter, and so on, and so on, they all make their money with ads.

And as a personal side note: Your vulgar choice of words is not really pleasant to read.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
We really don't people throwing personal insults around here. It speaks more about character than an opinion on the practicality of piracy enforcement.

And yes, ad blocking is similar to piracy. It's purposely blocking the revenue generation model of a service while still enjoying the benefits of that service.

ivdza

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I would lie if i say that i dont download software that is cracked(pirated). I have licensed Windows 8 on my laptop,and Office 2013 I paid a lot for that,i am from Serbia,sooo not all of us from Balkan are thiefts :))(i mean MSFT thiefts). But...i download a lot of movies and Tv shows using torrents i admmit. I am not gamer,so i dont download that one,for music i am using Youtube and Soundcloud...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Remind me - how much is the subscription to use this website?

Remind me again, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Using AdBlock is nowhere near the same as piracy. No more than ripping the tag off my underwear.

Sent from my iPhone using WPCentral Forums

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Remind me again, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Using AdBlock is nowhere near the same as piracy. No more than ripping the tag off my underwear.

Well, good to know.

I think Google would disagree though:

How much damage can two blokes in Cologne do to Google? “We have probably cost them billions, yes,” says Till Faida. How many billion, I ask. Three, four, five? “It could be five billion dollars” says Faida. He’s not sure.

Meet the most destructive force on the internet | Features | LondonlovesBusiness.com

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

I didn't say it was, although it's certainly an interesting question to discuss. I was just curious how you think this site is funded, and whether you think users have any moral or ethical obligation to co-operate with its monitisation activities. If they don't, couldn't a case be made that they are freeloading?

On a side note, your analogy about using AdBlock being like ripping the tag off your underwear is rather curious. Obviously I don't know anything about your lifestyle and I'm certainly not judging you, but how many people see the tag on your underwear in a typical month? Is the viewing of this tag your main source of income?

Anyway, here's a strategy for people who don't like advertising but recognise that journalists on these sites need to eat, and servers need to be paid for. Only click on adverts for companies you don't like. That way, the company you don't like will pay click-through fees to the website that interests you, but the money is wasted because you won't buy any product from that company. It's a win-win! (Except for me, of course, as I won't do this because of my worry about ad-sites being fronts for malware distribution, and because I find it hard to have strong differentials of opinion between commercial operations).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^ Very simple, I already pay for my ISP. How Mobile Nations conducts their business is no business of mine. As for my undies, I just developed that habit very young in life when many ladies saw what brand I wore. Didn't make any money from it but the fringe benefits were awesome.
Sent from my Ativ S Neo using Tapatalk

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
^ Very simple, I already pay for my ISP. How Mobile Nations conducts their business is no business of mine. As for my undies, I just developed that habit very young in life when many ladies saw what brand I wore. Didn't make any money from it but the fringe benefits were awesome.

As you may or may not be aware, your ISP does not pay the owners of this website for their content. It's the same as taking the tram into town. You will pay for a tram ticket, but none of your fare goes to the shops in town so you still have to pay for any squirrel clamps, sprout holders or other gizmos you want to take home. Your ISP subscription also doesn't pay for Netflix or Amazon. So perhaps you could elaborate further?

And do you find that ladies have any interest in your choice of underwear brand? Is the brand you choose somehow embarrassing? I'm genuinely curious.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What cracks me up here is that people who choose to pirate software,knowingly use pirated software,think it's perfectly fine to do so,then they take umbrage when folks like myself point out that it is theft when they do this.

Others here apparently don't know the difference between stealing and exercising their rights in blocking adds in their phones and continue to try to cloud the subject of hand.

Tell you what....let's ask the management here what their take on this issue is,and see what they say about it..

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
BataBole,

Great thread! I hope the mods don't shut it down.

As someone else stated I think technically piracy is illegal everywhere except Somalia or similar failed states. There are probably two dynamics at work. One the Government in your country has other priorities other than protecting the coffers of multibillion dollar foreign corporations and those corporations have other fish to fry.

I live in the United States and I have to strongly disagree with the ludicrous statement by another poster regarding the cost of MSFT software. It is pretty reasonably priced in the US if you consider the purchase price as a percentage of income. When Windows 8 came out they had some sick upgrade offer for something like $39 per an upgrade. And that was for the Pro version. Windows media center was free... or there was some negligible cost. $39 dollars every five years is nothing to the average American.

Given the annual income in the US and how useful MSFT software is it is a no brainer really. There are plenty of people who are still using XP! That's a lot of longevity for a negligible cost.

As far as games are concerned for Americans we can just wait a few years after a game is released and the price comes down. Civilization V can now be purchased for next to nothing with all the expansion pacts and updates included (Sorry I tried to link to the deal but the forum marked the post as SPAM and wouldn't allow me to post). You just have to keep your eye out on deal websites.

My advice is to look out for deals and only get what you need. Often times with piracy I find people just go into a feeding frenzy and get stuff just because they can. It's like this app thing on cell phones. Most apps that are downloaded are used a couple of times and that's it. Save your money. Look for deals. And only get what you need. If you have a US income there is no need to pirate software.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
As you may or may not be aware, your ISP does not pay the owners of this website for their content. It's the same as taking the tram into town. You will pay for a tram ticket, but none of your fare goes to the shops in town so you still have to pay for any squirrel clamps, sprout holders or other gizmos you want to take home. Your ISP subscription also doesn't pay for Netflix or Amazon. So perhaps you could elaborate further?

And do you find that ladies have any interest in your choice of underwear brand? Is the brand you choose somehow embarrassing? I'm genuinely curious.

Dude, get off your high horse already. If I take a train or a bus it's probably because my car is broken down. I am one of those people who PAYS for their conveniences. I don't go asking questions and I don't care if Spotted Owls get fed from the money I pay. What that provider does with my money is his business, not mine. I only care about the service I'm getting.

If you're genuinely curious about how women react to a man's underwear, I suggest spending some time with them in the bedroom. Lots of time, you might learn a thing or two.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
What cracks me up here is that people who choose to pirate software,knowingly use pirated software,think it's perfectly fine to do so,then they take umbrage when folks like myself point out that it is theft when they do this.

Okay, I'll try to explain this again.

When we state that piracy isn't theft, it's just the definition we are talking about. We try in now way to lesser the crime of copyright infringement, it's a pure question of the right choice of words.

We know piracy is bad, we agree that it's a crime, we just choose to not use a wrong term to refer to it.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
When we state that piracy isn't theft, it's just the definition we are talking about. We try in now way to lesser the crime of copyright infringement, it's a pure question of the right choice of words.

When your intellectual property is stolen you won't be delving into such semantics. You will want a cash payment... the same as anyone who's property has been stolen.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Others here apparently don't know the difference between stealing and exercising their rights in blocking adds in their phones and continue to try to cloud the subject of hand.

It's good you find the subject so amusing. I also thought my posts were quite funny and I'm thoroughly enjoying the discussion about underwear labels.

Nevertheless, it's a shame you find the subject of ad blockers clouding the outrage against piracy. Maybe you could make two lists - one of the posts about piracy, and the other of the posts about ad blocking. You could then read just the posts from one list at a time. That might help uncloud each issue for you!

Nevertheless, I am still waiting for someone to provide a moral or ethical justification for using an ad blocker and enjoying this site without contributing to its costs. Without such an argument being provided, I find it very hard to make a judgement. It's nice that MDMcAtee has a 'right' to block ads on his phone, but is she/he 'right' to do so?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
When your intellectual property is stolen you won't be delving into such semantics. You will want a cash payment... the same as anyone who's property has been stolen.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it. It was just mentioned initially, and since then some users are claiming it's a way to downplay the issue. That's just not what it is.

anony_mouse

Banned
Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Dude, get off your high horse already. If I take a train or a bus it's probably because my car is broken down. I am one of those people who PAYS for their conveniences. I don't go asking questions and I don't care if Spotted Owls get fed from the money I pay. What that provider does with my money is his business, not mine. I only care about the service I'm getting.

I'm very sorry and this may be my fault, but I still don't think you're answering the question. Perhaps you did and I missed it? Given that your ISP doesn't contribute to the costs of running this site, and that the *deeply* respected moderators and writers here need to eat, is it justifiable to use an ad blocker and remove their source of income?

If you're genuinely curious about how women react to a man's underwear, I suggest spending some time with them in the bedroom. Lots of time, you might learn a thing or two.

If I'm male, I will ignore your uncalled-for affront, and if I'm female, I will laugh knowingly to myself and move on. But maybe you can elaborate on why you had to remove the labels? Were they sticking up out of the back of your trousers? Did they say 'property of the prison service' or 'boil wash only at 90C'? Did they get very smelly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb