Microsoft launches thier FIRST PHONE!!..its not WP :/ .......

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
MS is a business. Not a company that follows fanboys opinions. They have to go where the money is. While Right now they want to expand WP as much as possible with multiple WP OEMs. But they need to get more services available to a broader audience. Right now services is where MS's future growth is coming from e.g Onedrive, Skype, Office 2013 and Outlook.com and Bing. not OSes Like WP and Windows

PS: if you ran a business. Would you follow what fanboys say and stat with one OS or would you go where the money is? And go to other OSes. It's quite logical to go where the money is and that's other OSes while expanding your own. It's a simple concept of business

Agree somewhat. I run 2 companies and always searching for the best tech to give me an advantage. MS perhaps need to plant some flags and split the phone business into MS Android, MS WP and MS iOS. Keep the 3 separate, this way people are less confused as to what they are doing and they can make in roads into each area without affecting the others. By using the scatter gun approach they are doing what they have historically done in the past and that is to shoot themselves. As to the other services:

Onedrive - Ever wonder why they don't offer encryption?
Office 2013 - Great and with 1TB storage on Onedrive coming, amazing value too.
Skype - Same as XBOX Music - Pile of ***** - not secure and taking FOREVER to fix.
Outlook.com - As a free alternative to Google its very welcome and will get better.
Windows 8.1 - no comment really - 150,000 employees and they released something like windows 8.. management deserve a slap.
Surface team - I have a SP2 - I cant use wfi and BT at the same time - see above.

My patience with MS is wearing thin.

dlalonde

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
MS is a business. Not a company that follows fanboys opinions. They have to go where the money is. While Right now they want to expand WP as much as possible with multiple WP OEMs. But they need to get more services available to a broader audience. Right now services is where MS's future growth is coming from e.g Onedrive, Skype, Office 2013 and Outlook.com and Bing. not OSes Like WP and Windows

PS: if you ran a business. Would you follow what fanboys say and stat with one OS or would you go where the money is? And go to other OSes. It's quite logical to go where the money is and that's other OSes while expanding your own. It's a simple concept of business

Jesus how I love the how the word ****** is thrown around like a bloody ball! If you read my posts, you will see that I'm all but a ******.

I'm speaking on a purely business point of view! If you spend money on building software and hardware and you then release hardware with other COMPETING software, what's the logic? If the other software is so good and sells so well, why not just give into that software and stop spending money on development and marketing another software?

But yeah I'm just ****** who don't understand buzyness yo!

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
BBC News - Microsoft to release Android-powered Nokia X2 handset

The more I see what MS are doing and the more I compare WP8.1 to its competition the more frustrated I feel. The internal team structure, the way internal teams do NOT communicate is probably the reason they cant replicate Zune features in the Music app, I mean if you OWN ZUNE then how hard can it be to take the great features and shove it in XBOX Music?

FORGET ANDROID - GET YOUR OWN HOUSE IN ORDER FIRST ...... NOOOOOOBS!!

Edit - according to article they have unveiled it rather than launched it as the name of thread implies.

grrrrrrr

This is so IRONICAL!

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Brad and Visa have pretty much hit the nail on the head here. MS are using the entry level X android devices as a means of having a presence in the cheaper segment of the Android market - a segment that is perhaps the most rife with a choice of devices and all at a similar price point without the build quality of Microsoft / Nokia. They're using a forked version of Android and slowly introducing people to Microsoft services and apps and using a similar interface to WP in a bid to get people to interact with Microsoft's design philosophy and services. Their thinking is that people will really like what they see and their next devices will be fully fledged Windows Phones.

Will it work? Only time will tell but it's a strategy that Microsoft are heavily invested in so while we might find it a little frustrating sometimes, I doubt any complaints we make will sway them from this strategy right now.

This Strategy of Microsoft will work only if the X-Series do well in the markets!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Brad and Visa have pretty much hit the nail on the head here. MS are using the entry level X android devices as a means of having a presence in the cheaper segment of the Android market - a segment that is perhaps the most rife with a choice of devices and all at a similar price point without the build quality of Microsoft / Nokia. They're using a forked version of Android and slowly introducing people to Microsoft services and apps and using a similar interface to WP in a bid to get people to interact with Microsoft's design philosophy and services. Their thinking is that people will really like what they see and their next devices will be fully fledged Windows Phones.

Will it work? Only time will tell but it's a strategy that Microsoft are heavily invested in so while we might find it a little frustrating sometimes, I doubt any complaints we make will sway them from this strategy right now.

Can you be more ON POINT? I don't think so. Well said.

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The people who are more concerned with office, outlook, onedrive, and Skype services are not the ones more likely to purchase these low end phones. Microsoft is just demonstrating why Nokia and Microsoft have become dinosaurs in the mobile industry.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that Nokia needed to build an Android powered phone to serve the low end of their market, and I don't think Microsoft should continue to develop their version of Android. But, they shouldn't have immediately halted all work and shut off the lights in that office when they assumed control of Nokia either. There is no advantage to stopping work in progress.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
A few months ago I pitched a script to Hollywood film producers. The script dramatizes a fictional (near) future where MS eventually defeats and kills Android against overwhelming odds, by first cunningly appearing to publicly adopt and support it. I thought it would make for a great drama, as it starts out with all the outrage, frustration and incomprehension seen in this thread, but ends well, as during the last 15 minutes the audience realizes how Microsoft's moves always had the opposite intentions.

Here's the synopsis for those that are interested.

This is obviously 'tongue in cheek', and includes a few exaggerations, but IMHO the basic premise (further fracturing the Android market and turning Android against Google, or at least removing it from Google's control) isn't entirely unrealistic. It is what I would attempt if I were running MS.

I wrote that post before the Nokia X was introduced, and the first few reactions to that post were negative, obviously because folks refused to believe the Nokia X was real. Well, here we are, after Microsoft's purchase of Nokia, and we're actually going to get a successor to the Nokia X. It can no longer be doubted that Microsoft thinks AOSP has some role to play.

Last edited:

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
It'll be a year minimum before Microsoft releases anything that's a "Microsoft" phone. Everything coming out over the next 8 months was a Nokia project they inherited and have too much invested in to kill out right.

loofmodnar

Dec 14, 2010
www.loofmodnar.com
ART could kill the Nokia X. What is the plan to survive that change? Will Microsoft develop their own runtime?

How so? It's just a compiler and most existing Android apps already work with it. I've been using it on my Nexus 5 since April without an issue. All they'd need to do is enable it and retest.

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely don't understand why Microsoft still releases Android phones... would Apple release an Android or WP phone? Never! Then why does Microsoft do it? Don't they trust their software to be the best?

With the acquisition of Beats, Apple does develop apps for Android and Windows Phone now. :)

Posted from my BlackBerry Z30 via Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion