Microsoft launches thier FIRST PHONE!!..its not WP :/ .......

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
ART could kill the Nokia X. What is the plan to survive that change? Will Microsoft develop their own runtime?

ART is being committed to AOSP, so it will become the runtime environment for all Android apps across all devices, including the Nokia X (assuming it is updated to newer versions of Android).

Google has no other choice if they don't want to cause themselves a lot of headaches. Differing runtimes on different Android devices would be a major pain in the rear for all developers and further fragment the Android ecosystem.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft didn't choose to release an Android product. They inherited this project from Nokia. Releasing this phone did not keep Windows Phone developers from developing WP apps. While I thought Nokia's Android project was a little odd to begin with, the X2 is not hindering progress of WP in any way in Redmond.

Here's the thing: the X platform was NOT the Android that Nokia was working on. The version of Android Nokia was working on (and will continue to work on) has now been launched as a launcher under the name "Nokia Z launcher" (https://www.zlauncher.com/). The X platform was a concession to Microsoft.

Let us be clear: Microsoft does NOT lose anything by having forked Android phones. They own Android patents, they don't need Google's permition for anything, and they can lead people into their own services.
Sure, the more tech savvy people that buy a Nokia X will just pick the phone, root it, remove the X platform and install a full Android ROM in it. But the other millions won't. Those will end up using OneDrive, Outlook etc. And that's the point of it.
Microsoft is a SOFTWARE company. That doesn't mean they are an OPERATING SYSTEMS ONLY company.

Microsoft already made more money on Android than on Windows Phone BEFORE the X devices came out. Why shouldn't they keep pursuing that? If in the end some people who use the X platform end up going for Windows Phone, extra points for Microsoft. If not, hey, at least they'll consider keep using Microsoft's services on Android.

You know, there are a lot of people who use Microsoft's services on Android. Actually, I can tell you that 90% of my friends who use Android devices, do NOT use Gmail or Google Drive. They all keep using their Hotmail accounts (outlook) and they all use OneDrive. Because they also have those on their Windows PCs and it just makes sense for them. They have Gmail accounts, sure (I do too). But they only use it for Google Play, really.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Here is the plain truth. Microsoft's main goal is to get people on board with their services, not to get people to adopt Windows Phone. It should be obvious to everyone here.

Microsoft is going to keep pumping these Android phones out, so there's no sense in gnashing your teeth every time it happens. Services are all that matters to them, and they don't care which platform they get their adoption numbers from. Judging by how much time they invest into iOS and Android, and how poor their own services are on Windows Phone, it's obvious where their bread and butter is.

Stop acting like Windows Phone is where they should put all of their energy, they are doing the right thing by supporting the largest common denominator, and it's not Windows Phone.
Then what was the point of me buying a windows phone if the services are rubbish on it compared to iOS and android?

Last edited:

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft didn't choose to release an Android product. They inherited this project from Nokia. Releasing this phone did not keep Windows Phone developers from developing WP apps. While I thought Nokia's Android project was a little odd to begin with, the X2 is not hindering progress of WP in any way in Redmond.

This, basically. These phones and obligations were dumped on Microsoft. Using the X line to showcase Microsoft's mobile services is merely them turning lemons into lemonade. The only way to X line survives is if MS still has to fulfill contractual obligations or (if by some miracle) the X line becomes an overnight, billion dollar success.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Using the X line to showcase Microsoft's mobile services is merely them turning lemons into lemonade.

I think that Nokia X is Microsoft's way of turning lemons into lemonade. Nokia sold their souls to Microsoft when they signed the WP contract. Nokia is a devices company; they have to sell devices. Their devices weren't selling enough to pay the bills.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft was behind Nokia X from the beginning. I'm sure they knew at that point that they would be taking over Nokia's devices division soon. Wasn't there some kind of exclusive deal between Nokia & Microsoft? I would think that Microsoft could've stopped the Nokia X project if they would've wanted to.

My 2?.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Blame the consumers. WP doesn't sell in huge quantities, yet these cheap Knock off Android seem to be doing really well.

I hope all the new cheap OEMs give WP a boost, otherwise the consumer will have spoken, and WP will not be what they wanted from Microsoft.
Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

honestly why this attitude?if something doesnt go the way a multi billion dollar corporation planned ,blame the consumers? its not the fault of that corporation that is microsoft?
people buy what they feel is best for them ,they dont do anything for charity..its upto microsoft to convince them that their product is worth buying! u dont blame consumers for not buying ur product lol..
u and people like me have bought wp for various reasons..but the general perception is that wp is not good enough...

hell microsoft released a file manager only after how many years? they are going and updating skype for ios instead of their own platform!google and apple first focuses on their platform to provide the best experience to their products
they are releasing android phones in the name of attracting consumers to wp..do they really think people will jump on wp bandwagon coz they see that tile skin?the probability is they will go for fully featured google android after using that!
they release a lumia 630 with lesser spec than last years lowest budget phone !525 had 1gb ram and all the sensors! u dont release a phone with inferior spec and costlier than ur last years lowest model phone!thats really silly..
and one and half years for a major os update while competition do it every year

i dont really understand this strategy...kinda sends wrong message to the public..so no use in blaming them for wp not gaining traction..
some are willing to take risk and experiment with their purchases ,try new thing despite their shortcomings...but the general public is not like wpc members.

Ankit Nawlakha

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Brad and Visa have pretty much hit the nail on the head here. MS are using the entry level X android devices as a means of having a presence in the cheaper segment of the Android market - a segment that is perhaps the most rife with a choice of devices and all at a similar price point without the build quality of Microsoft / Nokia. They're using a forked version of Android and slowly introducing people to Microsoft services and apps and using a similar interface to WP in a bid to get people to interact with Microsoft's design philosophy and services. Their thinking is that people will really like what they see and their next devices will be fully fledged Windows Phones.

Will it work? Only time will tell but it's a strategy that Microsoft are heavily invested in so while we might find it a little frustrating sometimes, I doubt any complaints we make will sway them from this strategy right now.

Okay! Lets say that Microsoft's Strategy Works and Some Nokia X Users do switch to Lumia.. But dont you think that Microsoft first needs to improve its own apps on windows Phone.. For eg: Skype! We all know that Skype sucks on windows phone which is microsoft's own platform.. But its just amazing on other platforms..
If a Nokia X user moves to a Nokia Lumia 930 he will find that all those apps sucks and he will consider the switch as the biggest mistake of his/her life! And this will severely hamper Microsoft's Reputation!

Microsoft needs to improve apps on windows phone.. Atleast its own apps! Is it difficult for Microsoft to do so??

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think they strategy is that Nokia X users will switch to Windows Phone. The OS is irrelevant, the important thing is to lock them into the Microsoft services.

The Nokia X will receive the same level of support than Windows, and if it is successful in the low end they will launch a flagship phone.

Android has 80% of market share, WP has 2%. Microsoft has to be pragmatic. If they build great services and a decent app store they could capture millions of happy Android users.

Many operating systems will rise and fall with many type of devices. The glue that keep the experience consistent are the services.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But dont you think that Microsoft first needs to improve its own apps on windows Phone.. For eg: Skype! We all know that Skype sucks on windows phone which is microsoft's own platform.. But its just amazing on other platforms..
If a Nokia X user moves to a Nokia Lumia 930 he will find that all those apps sucks and he will consider the switch as the biggest mistake of his/her life! And this will severely hamper Microsoft's Reputation!

Microsoft needs to improve apps on windows phone.. Atleast its own apps! Is it difficult for Microsoft to do so??

I thought at first that Microsoft is using the Nokia X to get users into their ecosystem in order to sell them a WP next time. But you have a very valid point here. Maybe the idea below is more accurate...

I don't think they strategy is that Nokia X users will switch to Windows Phone. The OS is irrelevant, the important thing is to lock them into the Microsoft services.

<snip>

Android has 80% of market share, WP has 2%. Microsoft has to be pragmatic. If they build great services and a decent app store they could capture millions of happy Android users.

Many operating systems will rise and fall with many type of devices. The glue that keep the experience consistent are the services.

The WP statistic is a bit off, but your point stands. The problem is that Microsoft can certainly get Nokia X users into their ecosystem, but it won't do much to draw users of regular Android phones. Except for specific business related scenarios, at the moment there's generally little reason for an Android user to use Microsoft's services.

That said, if Microsoft keeps evolving their services like they have been, before too long there might be compelling reasons for iOS & Android users to use them.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
For a tech fan in the west It doesn't make sense to chose the Nokia X over Android. Although, first time smartphone buyers in emerging markets are easy to grab. The Nokia X is the bestseller phone in Russia and the third bestseller in India.

In the future the app store will grow and won't be an issue. Cortana will improve, Microsoft will launch a smartwatch and other wearables, they demoed a car infotainment system at the build conference, the integration of the X with Windows will be a joy, free office and other productivity apps.

The X line could become a good rival to Google Android in the west. It's a long road but it could happen.

If Microsoft remove Google's advantage in the smartphone market which is the hub, they can compete in a more leveled field in the ecosystem war.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft just fragmented it's possible future user (and current fan) base?

maybe this is plan C, or can't beat em join em ?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I personally do have a lot to do with software, and no. It's not impossible.

Then you have a different understanding of what it means to 'shove' features from one program into another (granted, 'shove' isn't the best word to describe a software development process). I understand that to mean something along the lines of copy/pasting features from Zune into WP's XBM.
Just the fact that Zune and WP are based on entirely different technology stacks already makes it impossible.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Some here argue that MS' primary goal is to get people to use their services, and that getting people to use WP is secondary.

Some view this to be self evident, but I don't see why.

Almost all of MS' services loose money. Why is it so important to get people to use something that doesn't earn MS money?

AFAIK Office 365 is the only profitable service, but it is profitable only at the expense of traditional Office sales.

For Apple, services are all about ecosystem tie in. Their services exist primarily as a way to get you to buy Apple devices, which is how they earn money. As a result, Apple has few reasons to offer their services on other platforms. Services with direct sales potential, like iTunes, are the exception.

Google's services exist primarily as information gathering machines or advertising delivery channels. For them it makes sense to bring their services to every platform where information gathering and advertisement distribution are possible without restrictions, which is why they won't be coming to WP.

Both companies have very good reasons to make their services best on their platforms and not to support the competition unconditionally, but apparently many believe that for MS this works differently. Why?

These services all serve a purpose. They aren't the purpose in and of themselves. To me it sounds like some are saying that for MS, they are the purpose. I'm not flat out disagreeing, but it sounds fishy to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss