The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    Agree wholeheartedly with this article, it should be WP or nothing. The x phones make a mockery of low coat WP devices and still begs the question, why?

Why Microsoft Adopting Android Is Dangerous And Stupid - Forbes
    dlalonde and squire777 like this.
    06-25-2014 09:05 AM
    Agree wholeheartedly with this article, it should be WP or nothing. The x phones make a mockery of low coat WP devices and still [s] begs[/s] raises the question, why?

Why Microsoft Adopting Android Is Dangerous And Stupid - Forbes
    I agree
    06-25-2014 09:18 AM
    While the strategy is iffy, I don't think that article analyzes it very well at all.

The target for the X are people who are adamant about buying an "Android phone" and are unwilling to take the risk of trying the unfamiliar Windows Phone. The reason it's skinned to look similar to Windows Phone is because it's supposed to ease people into the idea of using Windows Phone. Make them less hesitant because they're will be familiarity, but also giving them the short term benefit of the comfort of having "Android."
    06-25-2014 09:24 AM
    The alternative is to allow a huge segment of the market to become attached to Google's apps and services available on Android. Microsoft can't afford to lose these customers.
    06-25-2014 09:28 AM
    the tiles on x2 looks downright ugly...its pretty diff from wp lumias..if anything people will think .."no more ugly tiles" ..
    it would be more like easing them out of windows phone...not easing in..
    06-26-2014 07:00 AM
    the tiles on x2 looks downright ugly...its pretty diff from wp lumias..if anything people will think .."no more ugly tiles" ..
    it would be more like easing them out of windows phone...not easing in..
    To ease then out they would have already had to be WP users.

If they were WP users, they aren't X users.
    06-26-2014 08:15 AM
    Please keep in mind that the Nokia X line started before Microsoft officially acquired Nokia's hardware business. And while Microsoft knew of the upcoming lineup, pressuring Nokia to cancel the devices likely would have soured the buyout and potentially spoiled future cooperation had the buyout not passed regulatory approval. I seriously doubt Microsoft wants to be in the Android device business. Most likely Microsoft is fulfilling Nokia's original plans and obligations. I expect Microsoft to completely abandon the Nokia X line once they're in the free and clear.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-26-2014 08:41 AM
    I expect Microsoft to completely abandon the Nokia X line once they're in the free and clear.
    At what point would you decide MS isn't just fullfilling obligations made under Nokia's management, but also at least partly backing the plan?

I have a hard time believing the X2 exists only due to previous commitments. I fully expect an X3 and an X4 and an X5, etc..

I expect the X series to supplant the Asha series. I expect the X series to become the 'Windows Phone look alike' that runs Android apps and MS' services, which is particularly interesting in regions where WP's app store is pretty much barren. I expect the X series to be the series without a chassis spec, that is free to utilise bottom-of-the-barrel hardware, thereby protecting WP devs from having to design their apps to run well on even lower end WP devices.

IMHO these X devices are here to stay, unless they completely bomb in the markets they are intended for.
    06-26-2014 09:21 AM
    My issue with the X series comes down to one thing: Rooting.

Once you root the device you can put stock Android onto the device and totally ignore the MS services. How many people will do this? Not sure but the Android community is pretty big on it.

It's this one thing that makes me question the X series strategy. I'm not saying don't do it I just question how effective it is.
    06-26-2014 09:33 AM
    I would say that the x2 better be the last x, else their specs might become better than those of lumia, what will result in a world-wide doom.
    06-26-2014 09:43 AM
    At what point would you decide MS isn't just fullfilling obligations made under Nokia's management, but also at least partly backing the plan?
    Likely, Nokia purchased (or agreed to purchase) components from several manufacturers to build the X line. Considering Nokia would have planned and purchased the components prior to the buyout, that means Nokia (now Microsoft) is still on the hook for them. And I can only guess how long it will take for MS to burn through any prior obligations. The only way I see Microsoft continuing with the X line is if it becomes profitable. I don't think Microsoft wants to sell X devices but I highly doubt they would kill any profitable portions of their business.
    Laura Knotek and a5cent like this.
    06-26-2014 09:52 AM
    Likely, Nokia purchased (or agreed to purchase) components from several manufacturers to build the X line. Considering Nokia would have planned and purchased the components prior to the buyout, that means Nokia (now Microsoft) is still on the hook for them. And I can only guess how long it will take for MS to burn through any prior obligations. The only way I see Microsoft continuing with the X line is if it becomes profitable. I don't think Microsoft wants to sell X devices but I highly doubt they would kill any profitable portions of their business.
    Yes, that is certainly possible, but considering that you can buy your way out of any such legal binding, and that it costs a LOT of money to bring these devices to market (all the deals with the carriers, provide training to carrier staff, provide support and software updates to customers, etc), I still have a hard time believing this would be continued if it served no greater purpose in MS' plans.

Parts are never bought and warehoused these days. Everything is delivered just-in-time for assembly, so it's definitely not the case that they just had a hundred million worth of parts lying around that they had to use somehow. Unless you're planning to produce a first batch ranging in the millions, you don't get parts more than two or three weeks in advance.

I also doubt that this device has much to do with profits. You can't really earn anything selling low end smartphones. I don't know. It just doesn't sound that plausible to me.
    Last edited by a5cent; 06-26-2014 at 01:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    Laura Knotek, dgr_874 and HeyCori like this.
    06-26-2014 10:34 AM
    microsoft should edit the android OS, preventing rooting, if windows phone is hard to root, i dont think microsoft dont know how to do it, only matter is time
    06-26-2014 10:52 AM
    They also have tons of new WPs by other companies now. Why the X?
    06-26-2014 12:00 PM
    The sales of the Nokia X are quite good. There is a big probability that the Nokia X could outsell WP.
    06-26-2014 03:46 PM