07-11-2014 12:34 AM
103 ... 345
tools
    Unification may make it easier for developers to bring apps from Windows to Windows Phone and the other way around, but it doesn't inherently increase the user base for either of them. And according to rumors one of the next releases of Windows will revert from forcing Metro on everybody as it just didn't work out.
    The rumor is that MS will be making the modern side of windows smarter, not getting rid of it. Did you not hear about things like modern apps running in windows and a new start menu that brings the modern start screen features to a menu style more akin to previous releases? The rumor is that they will offer users the choice of a full screen start or traditional style start.

Plus, your forgetting about tablets completely. Tablets that are running full windows, will still be using the full screen start menu as default.

What that tells me is that MS is not giving up, they just found a better way to ease people into a new platform. They learned that many people did not like the drastic change in UI even if it only represented one side to an OS that had a great desktop side (Win 8). So they are turning back to their roots and brining the new ideas of modern apps into the desktop side instead of just offering them in a separate environment of sorts. You could call it Metro 2.0.

This is a serious question, what are the benefits of unification?
    Any app developer could tell you why it matters. Then there are the advantages that MS gains going forward when trying to improve the platforms. Developers and MS alike will reap the time and money savings that working on a single platform vs 3 provides. For consumers, it opens up options like buying an app once and owning it across multiple devices. The whole user base argument is way down the list of reasons why unification is a good thing.

At this juncture, it is unreasonable for me to take Microsoft at their word for what they say they're going to do. I'm not trying to convince anyone to think differently about Microsoft than they currently do. I have arrived at my opinion of Microsoft (wrt mobile platforms) from first hand experience over these past 14 years. They have to show me through actual products that ship and a longevity of commitment before I will believe what they say. There's no shortcut to establishing a good track record.
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I don't think your opinion is unfair. As I said, history does matter and if you feel the pattern is clear, then your conclusion is the right one.

My only point was that I'm waiting to see the other shoe drop. I'm waiting to see if they continue the same pattern as you assume they will, or if enough change has occurred to result in MS actually staying the course and remaining committed to the platform. Your exactly right that they have to earn your trust over a long period of time if that has been lost.

Out of curiosity, what would it take for you have renewed optimism about MS and its commitment to a platform? Is it just a matter of several years without a 'reboot', or something more specific?

Yes, I'm also counting WP7 to WP8 as a reboot. It wasn't a rough transition, there was NO transition, that is why I refer to it as a reboot.
    Fair enough, although I would argue that there was a transition since MS did create a path for developers to transition to WP8 through their tools and such. But, since current devices could not upgrade to WP8, then that probably falls into the 'reboot' area. It did suck though, regardless of terms. I wish MS has waited and started with WP8.

I do think it would be helpful to define what 'reboot' means.

You appear to be looking at their current words and actions absent of the past. I see nothing that they've said and subsequently delivered to give me reason to put more weight in the words they say now, than those they said 4 years ago.

I bolded the comment that hits at the heart of the issue. The current WP app gap is not solely due to marketshare of WP, but to Microsoft's track record. Reputation is important.
    How many times do I have to say that history does matter and I am not ignoring it? You seem to miss that point. I completely agree with you. The only difference between you and I is that I'm still waiting to see the good or bad come, you are already confident it will be bad. Again, neither is a bad position, just different. Plus you agreed with me by bolding my post. We both think that developers are heavily influenced by reputation and MS must do everything it can to rebuild that. You do that by committing to a platform long term and earn it over several years.

That's why I'm reserving judgment and why I scratch my head when I see people attacking MS so much over the slow pace marketshare wise for WP or say MS should just give up now. MS started from scratch in many ways with WP and anyone that knows how this works would recognize that success would take many years of focused commitment by MS. Sort of how it did with Xbox. MS will not rebuild reputation overnight, but it can over several years. So I'm just waiting and watching to see if MS keeps pushing towards success that could be years away.
    wpn00b likes this.
    07-06-2014 12:53 PM
    Proof?
    Yeah. Elaborate further. Lol
    I can't find the place*, but I remember "somewhere" that the store received 14 million app downloads per day, so I would say a decent amount use them.
    *Neither can I
    k0de likes this.
    07-06-2014 03:48 PM
    *Neither can I
    Lol. The Window Phone Store trails the Billion activation Google Giant by a few Billions.

Mind you there is only 50 million Windows Phone users worldwide.

Lol. At this rate MSFT will blow past the App Store by 2017.

Neither do I. Lol
    07-11-2014 12:34 AM
103 ... 345