The app gap will close. MSFT living up to its promise.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
With in the last 2 weeks or so. We have seen a wave of official apps raining and landing on the Windows Phone store.

There is more work to to do to be completive on the mobile world.

But we can we say this about the past two weeks. It has been exciting and remarkable to say the least.

Has Windows Phone enter a new phase into the mobile world?

And finally will the Windows Phone community receive the recognition it deserves?

I think so.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
It'll get the quantity, but I'm not sure it'll get the quality. For example, the Instagram app is still terrible.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree. We'll eventually see the app gap close. Universal apps and making WP free is probably the best thing that MS has ever done to the MS community

4ny0n3

Apr 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid that even though what you say is partly true, Microsoft cannot forget that Quality>Quantity.

The release of web wrappers (Official Pinterest), eternal betas (Official Instagram) and apps that STILL lack basic functionality (Official Twitter, Vine and Foursquare), can still drive people away from the platform as much the app gap would. Mind that the apps I just mentioned are not the only ones that are likely to drive people away.

Quality third party apps like the ones from the amazing Mr. Huyn are still not enough. Lack of decent support from the developers of official apps leave a lot to be desired when evaluating WP as a potential OS to migrate to.

bozza72

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
got to disagree here as i live in New Zealand we get NO offical apps,
we dont have the volume of wp8 users so we just dont get the apps, what make this worse is Microsoft/Nokia don't even promote the wp here, i had to import my 1520 & it has no NZ firmware, all windows phones are kept under the counter in stores so you have to ask to see the phone if it is even stocked, its nice to see the rest of the world getting mainstream apps but its still got a long way to go for everyone outside of the USA

Brad Lambert

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I agree. We'll eventually see the app gap close. Universal apps and making WP free is probably the best thing that MS has ever done to the MS community

So true. And once the gap has truly closed we will cease to see the slipshod releases that are occasionally appearing. Honestly I'll take a web wrapper over nothing, it is merely a foot in the door for future quality apps with cross-platform parity in regard to quality and features.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
It'll get the quantity, but I'm not sure it'll get the quality. For example, the Instagram app is still terrible.

Many people from other platforms assure that Instagram will exit the beta phase after a year.

Lets wait and see we are almost there.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Yes universal apps is revolutionary. And hopefully the break that MSFT was looking for. Good find.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm afraid that even though what you say is partly true, Microsoft cannot forget that Quality>Quantity.

The release of web wrappers (Official Pinterest), eternal betas (Official Instagram) and apps that STILL lack basic functionality (Official Twitter, Vine and Foursquare), can still drive people away from the platform as much the app gap would. Mind that the apps I just mentioned are not the only ones that are likely to drive people away.

Quality third party apps like the ones from the amazing Mr. Huyn are still not enough. Lack of decent support from the developers of official apps leave a lot to be desired when evaluating WP as a potential OS to migrate to.

True quality over quantity. But coming from a open source back ground in developing quality is un important. This could be a good thing.

Most important the apps are here. Now Dev's can improve quality based on users response.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
No the app gap will not close because the startup mobile developers target iOS exclusive 80% of the time, Android the other 20%. Windows OSes are literally frozen out for various reasons(poor APIs, low user base, hatred towards MS).

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
got to disagree here as i live in New Zealand we get NO offical apps,
we dont have the volume of wp8 users so we just dont get the apps, what make this worse is Microsoft/Nokia don't even promote the wp here, i had to import my 1520 & it has no NZ firmware, all windows phones are kept under the counter in stores so you have to ask to see the phone if it is even stocked, its nice to see the rest of the world getting mainstream apps but its still got a long way to go for everyone outside of the USA

Perhaps this situation would change in your region. Hopefully MSFT is working in this.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

​At what point do people admit that WP is defeated and move on?

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Personally, Beyond Clash of Clans and Feedly, I see no app gap

Everyone has different needs. I am glad that you are contempt with Windows Phone. But Windows Phones still has work to do. And WP must keep working to try to fulfill not all but most of the people needs.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
​At what point do people admit that WP is defeated and move on?

Never. Your post tells me you have never accomplished anything in life. From relationship to a career.

My friend. If WP is to succeed they must be persistence.

Persistence is the key to success. Any successful individual will tell you that.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
MS shows they only care about the US market. Look at how horrible Bing is outside US.

MSFT old business model. Things have changed.

It's a new MSFT hopefully Satya will change things around and focus on other markets. It is essential for the survival of MSFT.

There so be some improvements in your region soon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99