MS is kicking Google where it hurts

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Chromebook, Chromebook, Chromebook..... That's what's many pundits in the blogosphere have been pushing since it came out but specially this year because it got some updates, and many OEMs decided to go into the bandwagon and some school district chose the Chromebook cause its $price. But, I've been very-how can I put this- ain't gonna happen. And time and MS have proved me right. We all know that the Chromebook is just a expensive browser in a hardware and when many of those who purchased the Chromebook realized this they will return it back. This is the end from MS many of those pundits predicted and their hope got a big push when MS wrote-down $900m because W-RT but what they never expected was how fast MS bounced back with not just one but 3 Surface pro and the Surface 2 -RT-. The pivot was so fast and genius that they could not react; now what they trying to do is to diminish how good the Surface's family actually is. They will say anything to scare people from it, but thankfully people are relaying less and less in those fan-boys reviews and actually testing the product for themselves.
Schools choosing MS to help bring the digital transition to life​
  • Baltimore County Public Schools: 150,000 HP Elitebook 810 - W8.1
  • Chester County School District: No amount yet; but will provide W8 devices to its students.
  • Cincinnati County Day School: "deploying Surface Pro 3 for its students 5-12 and its faculty. This is a bunch of people.
  • Fresno Unified School District, fourth largest one in CA: 15,000 ASUS Transformer T100.
  • Huston Independent School District, largest one in TX and seventh in the country: MS Office 365 and HP Elitebook Folio 9470m. 14,000 students and 1,200 teachers.
  • Leon County Schools: 34,000 students all getting W8.1 devices.
  • Miami-Dade County Public Schools, the nation fourth largest district: 150, 000 HP W8.1 all 350,000 students will receive MS Office Professional.
  • West Virginia Department of Education: Just green light its schools to upgrade to W8.1 and Office 365

And this isn't just happening in the U.S.A others country are getting into the bus as well plus MS now is working with its Chinese division to developed and OS for the 2nd biggest economy in the world. So, things are looking good for MS and if things keep going like this I truly believe WP will get the benefit from all of this. The new environment at MS headquarters is really looking sharp. The most people are expose to how good W8.1 is and realize that WP is just as good they will go for it and history will change again.
Schools choosing Microsoft to help bring the digital transition to life: PR Newswire Business News - MSN Money

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Apple, Google and Microsoft will all be here 10 years from now. Will they be doing the same things they are doing now? Maybe not. But they are huge tech companies run by smart people and will find ways to stay relevant.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Apple, Google and Microsoft will all be here 10 years from now. Will they be doing the same things they are doing now? Maybe not. But they are huge tech companies run by smart people and will find ways to stay relevant.
Of course they will, I never discrete it that. But I just wanted to point out how many pundits hate MS and how they trash MS. How many times has Google messed up? Do the bloggers attack Google in the same way as they do when MS does it? Nope.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Of course they will, I never discrete it that. But I just wanted to point out how many pundits hate MS and how they trash MS. How many times has Google messed up? Do the bloggers attack Google in the same way as they do when MS does it? Nope.

Name one a single messup from Google that cost them billions of dollars.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
chromebook are a failure, i bet ALL of google's worker are forced to use chromebook when it is published, and so google can control your computer, spy your life, hack your Wi-Fi to check if you have upload anything, setup GPS in-case you were lost in google book world

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no idea why Chromebooks are being considered for anything more than say a web terminal in a library.

For not much more money, people can get a full fledged computer running on the zippy Baytrail processor with battery life at equivalent or more than a Chromebook. Even more so, I see people juggling two different OS or computer to their Chromebook when they have greater computing needs than the web terminal can provide, yet they'll still tout the Chromebook as being great. Seriously, when the cost differential is around a $100 to get a Windows tablet with a keyboard, the ability to run programs and lighter weight PC games, AND the ability to run the Chrome browser to mimic the Chromebook, I really don't know why anyone bothers with those things.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

You're making me think how different the US situation appears to be from the Rest of the World. No pundit (if we mean academics and scholars) would EVER even consider a chromebook as a viable device for students in Europe. Some alleged "high tech experts" (mostly writing for magazines that are sponsored by someone or another). But to all others it's more than obvious that while Android is a good OS for portable devices, the Chrome OS/Android solution is full of shortcomings for power users (and many students are in many ways power users) and productivity.
As i can't use WP on my mobile device for productivity tasks, in the same way i can't use Chrome/Android for productivity tasks on a "real computer" (includes ultrabooks and tablets) for real work. I don't know anyone around me who has tried Chrome OS who came up with good opinions on it. This includes Google fanatics (I am not one). It's simply a failing OS in its current iteration and for many outside the US it has serious privacy implications, which is going to become a major issue in the future.
I find your post very spot on in any case.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand this post. For MS to be "kicking Google", they would have to affect them in the search engine and advertising business. ChromeOS isn't bringing them much money, actually. In this case, whatever schools/companies start using ChromeOS are actually hurting MS, not Google.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't really see what this has to do with the Surface 2 or the Surface 3 Pro.

Windows RT is still a failure, the only devices running it in recent years were the Surface 2 and the 2520 and there seems to be no successor. Both of them with little succes. No other company released a Windows RT device after 2012.

The Surface 3 Pro is a nice device but still niche and I haven't heard of sells yet. It's not even available in most of the world. I really don't think that it impacts Chromebook sells in any way. They are just a bad concept to begin with.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
So i guess the fear of computers "dying" and being replaced by smarphones and tablets aren't exactly true at all, if anything, this may actually be the growth of MS and PC in general.
If windows is made compulsory for all schools, MS may be able to secure a very profitable spot that no other companies would be able to get, it is almost saying that everyone in the future WILL experience windows. Wow.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't really see what this has to do with the Surface 2 or the Surface 3 Pro.

Windows RT is still a failure, the only devices running it in recent years were the Surface 2 and the 2520 and there seems to be no successor. Both of them with little succes. No other company released a Windows RT device after 2012.

The Surface 3 Pro is a nice device but still niche and I haven't heard of sells yet. It's not even available in most of the world. I really don't think that it impacts Chromebook sells in any way. They are just a bad concept to begin with.
This is not about the Surface family, is about W 8.1 OS although the Surface benefit from this.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I don't understand this post. For MS to be "kicking Google", they would have to affect them in the search engine and advertising business. ChromeOS isn't bringing them much money, actually. In this case, whatever schools/companies start using ChromeOS are actually hurting MS, not Google.

For every W 8.1 sold, the chance that people will use Bing increases by 30, 40 or even 60% and Google decreases [my guess], and especially for school now that MS created a especial Bing for schools. And will all know that Google does not control all android released in the market they are loosing in that area while MS does not.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
For every W 8.1 sold, the chance that people will use Bing increases by 30, 40 or even 60% and Google decreases [my guess], and especially for school now that MS created a especial Bing for schools. And will all know that Google does not control all android released in the market they are loosing in that area while MS does not.
Not necessarily.

Promote Bing Smart Search and make sure IE is the true default browser in these devices and we'll talk.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
This is not about the Surface family, is about W 8.1 OS although the Surface benefit from this.

Sorry, I must have imagined this part:

This is the end from MS many of those pundits predicted and their hope got a big push when MS wrote-down $900m because W-RT but what they never expected was how fast MS bounced back with not just one but 3 Surface pro and the Surface 2 -RT-. The pivot was so fast and genius that they could not react; now what they trying to do is to diminish how good the Surface's family actually is

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site

People in Europe would never decide to use Bing, because Bing is terrible here. Windows Phone tries to force Bing on me since I bought the Omnia 7 back in 2011. I still use Google.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion