MS is kicking Google where it hurts

omgitsnick

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Actually in the US, Microsoft is promoting Bing Classroom for primary schools and K-12, both for Windows 7 and 8 systems. And in the US alone Bing users are actually crawling up, I don't know where I read it from but it's growing.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Most people don't need a full fledged OS that requires expensive hardware. Chrombooks are the future, Google is just starting to develop this platform. They got it right once again.
Microsoft has to react soon and develop a consumer oriented OS.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Most people don't need a full fledged OS that requires expensive hardware. Chrombooks are the future, Google is just starting to develop this platform. They got it right once again.

I don't know much about Chromebooks, I don't know anybody buying or using one, I haven't even heard of a single person who did so. So I read the verdict here: Living with a Chromebook: can you use a Chromebook as your only laptop? - PC Advisor

So, could you explain to me why I should buy this browser-machine over a tablet or a real laptop you can get for a similar price?

fonix232

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't know much about Chromebooks, I don't know anybody buying or using one, I haven't even heard of a single person who did so. So I read the verdict here: Living with a Chromebook: can you use a Chromebook as your only laptop? - PC Advisor

So, could you explain to me why I should buy this browser-machine over a tablet or a real laptop you can get for a similar price?

It's quite simple. Web apps now cover a good part of what a regular guy/gal uses their computer for. There's web based video players, music players, apps, games, audio editing, picture editing, whatever you want. We transformed from an application-oriented society, where for every function you'd download an app, to a webservice-oriented society, where you just go on the internet and load the app.

Chrome OS merges these two. Web apps, that work offline too. And given that you're mainly online, for simple office work, and daily use, a Chromebook is more than enough.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't use a Chromebook, but my wife does. I can tell you what I see.

She has a 17" HP laptop with Windows 8.1. I bought the Chromebook last fall because I wanted to try one out. It was a Black Friday special. I wasn't terribly impressed. But, I'm a power user. I work in IT and I have several Microsoft certifications. A lot of what I do could not be done on a Chromebook.

My wife would be more the average computer user. Now, since we have the Chromebook, I see her using her PC when she's using Quicken for our personal finances. That's about it. Otherwise, she uses the Chromebook. Ha, I've already seen her using the Chromebook while it was sitting on top of the closed laptop! She knows her way around Windows 8.1 better than most users, but the Chromebook is faster and simpler to use for what she does most: Facebook, browsing, reading blogs, Hulu, etc.

So to answer your question, you probably shouldn't buy a Chromebook. A lot of PC users, however, don't do anything with their PCs that couldn't be done with a Chromebook. And the Chromebook does have its advantages. It's fast, it's cheap (in general, not all of them are), it's simple, it's secure, and it's maintenance free. If you need to replace it, get a new one and log in. I work with customers some, and they are afraid of their computers. They have no clue how they work, and they only know how to do what they use them for. If anything different comes up, they're lost. The Chromebook is ideal for someone like that.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I see that. But what differentiates a Chromebook from a tablet then, the keyboard? And how limited is the device when there's no internet available?

A laptop or a tablet are usually not used just at home, and they offer a lot of offline capabilities. I think needing a data plan to use it on the road could be quite an important negative aspect for many people.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site

This is the new "Year of Desktop Linux" mantra, isn't it?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
This is the new "Year of Desktop Linux" mantra, isn't it?

Chromebooks need a couple of years of development, so Microsoft has time to react.
Windows is too complex, bloated and insecure for most people. Windows RT should be the OS for the masses. According to Foley the next version of RT won't have the desktop, for me that's great, but I think many won't like that.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I must have imagined this part:
Oh yes it seem you did. Although I mentioned the Surface in my post 📮 it's not about or WP, js how the biggest school 🏫 districts are getting their students and staff W8.1 machines. And WP and why not the surface's family 👪 will benefit from this.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Chromebooks need a couple of years of development, so Microsoft has time to react.Windows is too complex, bloated and insecure for most people. Windows RT should be the OS for the masses. According to Foley the next version of RT won't have the desktop, for me that's great, but I think many won't like that.
Yep, Chrome is the new "Desktop Linux". Every year, there was talk about how Windows was "too complex, bloated, and insecure for most people". And then every year, people went out and bought hundreds of millions of Windows PCs. Oh, and the biggest problem with Chrome OS is the design. So unless they dramatically change everything about the design of the OS, this might get up to a vast 5% marketshare.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
1 So i guess the fear of computers "dying" and being replaced by smarphones and tablets aren't exactly true at all, if anything, this may actually be the growth of MS and PC in general. ..........

2 If windows is made compulsory for all schools, MS may be able to secure a very profitable spot that no other companies would be able to get, it is almost saying that everyone in the future WILL experience windows. Wow.

1 look at PC sales, they are flat. mobile is where it's at.

2 well, yes, anyone that can secure a "compulsory" contract with the government is sitting pretty, but that basically means it's another corporation on welfare.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Lol, rt is dead, WP is going in the toilet fast and well we all know x86 rules the world so that's a given besides Android isn't in the PC business so the last is a moot point.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't get how Chromebooks "are the future" but Windows RT 'ought to die and stay dead.' Half of the time Microsoft's woes have to do with people's weird attitudes towards its products and services. For goodness sake, WTF can you do on a Chromebook that you couldn't on Windows RT device, especially when said RT device includes Office for free. Seriously, did human beings shut down the logical portion of their brain, did I miss the memo?

Don't get me wrong, I fully understand that half of the fault also lies with Microsoft, with its weird "let's impose Redmond on the world" ideology, but still, you can't tell me Windows RT is less functional or worthy than Chrome OS. As it stands, Windows RT is the superior platform without an iota of doubt.

For Threshold it'd be a good idea on Microsoft's part to continue pushing Windows RT through low-cost ARM-based hardware. If word about the new Start Menu replacing the Start Screen on non-touch devices is true, then it should be a good idea to push an RT variant on non-touch devices using ARM CPUs. In fact, this idea might serve to 'inflate' Windows purchases by pushing users to buy both touch and non-touch devices together, a laptop and tablet, a laptop and phone, etc. A strong rise in Universal Apps and the ability to run WP apps and games on Windows 8.x/RT would be a boon too.

Hell, pair RT with Azure based services (offering desktop on cloud or applications on cloud), and you'd have a solid mix to push against Google in the enterprise and higher education markets.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Yep, Chrome is the new "Desktop Linux". Every year, there was talk about how Windows was "too complex, bloated, and insecure for most people". And then every year, people went out and bought hundreds of millions of Windows PCs. Oh, and the biggest problem with Chrome OS is the design. So unless they dramatically change everything about the design of the OS, this might get up to a vast 5% marketshare.

Google has to do the same job Microsoft is doing. They have to consolidate their development model, so they can use their army of Android developers in their desktop OS.
In I/O they announced support for a few Android apps in Chrome OS. So they already started.
Microsoft has to end this threat. Chromebooks have a number of advantages over Windows laptops that are appealing for millions of consumers. MS has to enter in that segment. Windows RT is perfect for the job.
Comparisons with Linux aren't meaningful. Linux was an awful product only good for geeks. Linux never had the support of a tech giant even bigger than Microsoft in the consumer market.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Google has to do the same job Microsoft is doing. They have to consolidate their development model, so they can use their army of Android developers in their desktop OS.
In I/O they announced support for a few Android apps in Chrome OS. So they already started.
Microsoft has to end this threat. Chromebooks have a number of advantages over Windows laptops that are appealing for millions of consumers. MS has to enter in that segment. Windows RT is perfect for the job.
Comparisons with Linux aren't meaningful. Linux was an awful product only good for geeks. Linux never had the support of a tech giant even bigger than Microsoft in the consumer market.

And Chrome OS is an awful product.

So it's a good comparison.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
But google hasn't abandoned chrome like Microsoft is doing with RT, yes it still gets updates but the lack of a surface 3 from Microsoft or any other company offering an RT tablet should be the writing on the wall that rt is dead.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I don't think RT is dead. Microsoft is patient with their products. They've stuck with WP even though it has been a slow slow rollout.

I think it is, you can get a full blown 8.1 tablet for less then an RT, the only reason rt sells what it does is because of free office and even then I believe the Lenovo x86 comes with office. I like my surface 2 but I don't think we're gonna see an rt3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99