Windows Phone share sinks in U.S. and China. Can anything save this OS? | Computerworld Blogs

I saw this news and dont like it... What you guys think about the future? I'm worried...
    06-30-2014 10:18 AM
    I'll give my opinion at the end of the year. ;)
    anon5999636 and xandros9 like this.
    06-30-2014 10:24 AM
    I saw this news and dont like it... What you guys think about the future? I'm worried...
    Look on the bright side; you yourself may soon be able to measurably raise WP's market share by buying a new one!
    06-30-2014 10:55 AM
    I think this dip had to do with the whole Nokia/Microsoft merger. They had absolutely nothing in the pipeline except for the 630 and X's. The 930 should have been out everywhere by now. The next quarter may also be disappointing. The end of the year may be interesting since that's when a bunch of supposed flagship devices will be out. Not only that but a ton of other manufacturers around the world will be making and selling WP devices by then. After that, I'd say there are no excuses for Microsoft. If they can't do it in 2015 there's no chance.
    anon5999636 and xandros9 like this.
    06-30-2014 03:18 PM
    Eh, I won't worry. webOS has changed my view on these doom and gloom things a bit.
    anon5999636 likes this.
    06-30-2014 03:27 PM
    It can be saved of course, while numbers might be as good in China or North America, things are different in Europe and other Asian countries. I am not sure about Africa though.
    Sure, most European numbers aren't something to really cheer about either, but they are at least slowly rising.

I think Microsoft's main concern is the attractiveness of Windows Phone, something they IMO can't easily fix. People seem to get WP powered devices mostly not because they want Windows Phone, but because it is cheap or at least comes with a very reasonable complete package devices in the lower pricing range.
    Yet when it comes to selling phones on your typical two year contract or even off-contract, people don't seem to find Windows Phone either attractive or competitive. They rather spend their 500 bucks on an HTC One, a Note 3 or some higher end Sony Android before even thinking about the 930 for example.

The numbers quite clear speak for themselves. When more than 50% of all the platforms phones are only two prominent budget devices and two premier flagships not even catch 20% (by far!) of the device share, something is off. Especially when you reconsider the two prime phones 1020 and 1520, kind of the show-off phones for the platform, don't even make it into the individual ranking because sales are so low.

At least here in Germay things are getting better, yet the road to success is still very long and still very rough. With the 930 delayed again, Google managed to steel the show with Android L's broad and detailed media coverage, new Androids like the Note 4 on the horizon and especially Apple being about to eliminate the iPhones currently biggest drawback in terms of available screen sizes, Microsoft has nothing to make it stand out. It reminds me of the typical Nokia fate we've seen for the last couple of years: Two little, too late and paired with too many delays. Not to mention they gathered quite some negative press, even among WP loyal community with avoidable things like a missing Glance screen.
    Last but not least all of the press recognized MS doesn't release a new flagship at all, it is just a half year late global variant of the Lumia Icon, which should've been available already when they rolled out the 1520. Blog comments regarding the 1520 were full of "Great phone, release it with a smaller screen and we'll buy it!" Kind of comments. Now this smaller version is about to hit the stores and it is already aged in the faster and faster moving world of smartphones.
    06-30-2014 08:54 PM
    Here is another link: https://news.yahoo.com/why-windows-p...211707426.html

Cortana is giving me this kind of bad news... ๐Ÿ˜†

I just have bad feelings about everything because last Google releases... Here in Brazil major devs just release apps for iOS and Android.
    I know that we dont see the WP8.1 results yet, but I'm afraid that Microsoft is so slow in improve the system and the final user dont see this things fast. It's something like: "Oh, its Windows Phone...I know how it looks and what I can get".
    07-01-2014 05:48 PM
    Really? Anyone working in Microsoft here??? We're just users.. Just consumers.. We buy the phone to make calls install some apps and play a little.. Why are you worry? Seriously you just use your phone.. And let the companies fight.. One does not need extra pressure.
    Laura Knotek and Taigatrommel like this.
    07-01-2014 06:04 PM
    Really? Anyone working in Microsoft here??? We're just users.. Just consumers.. We buy the phone to make calls install some apps and play a little.. Why are you worry? Seriously you just use your phone.. And let the companies fight.. One does not need extra pressure.
    I just want that the plataform I use and spend money go further...its good for every user... I'm not a fan, just an user who wants good stuff. I dont have problems to change for another plataform...
    So: Take it easy, man...this is a discussion forum, no? Speculation is good and fun! ๐Ÿ˜
    TheMightyCraken likes this.
    07-01-2014 06:14 PM