07-04-2014 01:08 AM
127 1234 ...
tools
    First Skype, then Xbox Music, then Calendar. When will we say enough is enough? Even BlackBerry is releasing relatively stable updates. Thinking of i logically, yes 8.0 to 8.1 was a big jump, but thy should'e done more. A lot more. They had 18 months to finish it and yet they are still not there.
    They regularly botch updates, the OS is becoming laggy at times, I mean. WHY are we even loyal to WP is what I wonder sometimes? Even the beautiful startscreen is ruined by lag
    /endrant

Edit:
    Just to make it clear
    "Taking the **** is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the **** out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[1] It is also not to be confused with "taking a ****", which refers to the act of urinating. Taking the Mickey (Mickey Bliss, Cockney rhyming slang) or taking the Michael is another term for making fun of someone."
    We Windows Phones users are spoiled. Or Were spoiled. Lol

Things changed.

I remember MSFT software way back when released to be 99.9% bug free. To release software like that takes months perhaps years.

But MSFT can't do that anymore.

It is evident that the new business model for MSFT is.

"Release the software as is and fix it later."

Untill when?

Untill Windows Phone users get used to the new MSFT business model. I guess.

It works for other platforms. And it should work for MSFT.
    07-01-2014 07:48 PM
    Calendar - Essential component - and they havnt bothered to press a few buttons to release the previous version.
    Bit more complicated than that. What if the reversion restores the app but deletes all events?

**** needs to be tested although how the last update skipped through the cracks will likely cost a subcontracted testing firm it's contract. If video game credits are indicative of anything, the testing is delegated to a third party. And if it's not, then let us march the guillotine.
    07-01-2014 10:13 PM
    I'm just gonna say this. I don't care about 3rd party app numbers, but MS apps should be built into the OS again so that can be fast. Compare people hub vs music hub. Messaging vs Skype.
    07-02-2014 12:08 AM
    The events are unrelated.
    You have never made a mistake?

All you had to do is go to live.com and make your calendar entry, on your phone.
    07-02-2014 12:18 AM

All you had to do is go to live.com and make your calendar entry, on your phone.
    The calendar fix is already available. Fix for the botched Calendar app on Windows Phone 8.1 is now live in the Store | Windows Phone Central
    Guytronic and neo158 like this.
    07-02-2014 12:32 AM

The calendar botch is a symptom of a larger problem. Lack of being thorough. 8.1 is finished and not a dev preview, yet the music app is still a Beta. The second music app we have doesn't work with Xbox music drm.
    Skype doesn't work properly, I don't mind that, but it really should be faster and smoother, maybe even native.
    I like 8.1, but Microsoft is beginning to feel like the smart kid at school who does a lot of work at the start but gets bored and phones in the rest. in 8.0 there was the massive other storage problems, in 8.1 its the music app, in 7.X it was features. Must there always be one game-breaking bug? It wouldn't be out of character for them to release an update that breaks the dialer soon. I like WP, I like where its going, but Microsoft needs to haul **** in gear and be aggressive with updates and the like. With the dev preview they can release as many updates as they want,users who want the latest and greatest can have an option.
    07-02-2014 12:47 AM
    I honestly think windows phone deserves to fail and Joe Belfiore should be fired.
    ​Wow, wow, wow.
    wpn00b likes this.
    07-02-2014 01:03 AM
    The calendar botch is a symptom of a larger problem. Lack of being thorough. 8.1 is finished and not a dev preview, yet the music app is still a Beta. The second music app we have doesn't work with Xbox music drm.
    Skype doesn't work properly, I don't mind that, but it really should be faster and smoother, maybe even native.
    I like 8.1, but Microsoft is beginning to feel like the smart kid at school who does a lot of work at the start but gets bored and phones in the rest. in 8.0 there was the massive other storage problems, in 8.1 its the music app, in 7.X it was features. Must there always be one game-breaking bug? It wouldn't be out of character for them to release an update that breaks the dialer soon. I like WP, I like where its going, but Microsoft needs to haul **** in gear and be aggressive with updates and the like. With the dev preview they can release as many updates as they want,users who want the latest and greatest can have an option.
    Maybe this rapid-release thing is worse than releasing once every 6-12 months.
    07-02-2014 01:04 AM
    That is nonsense.

If they didn't care, there wouldn't be any more devices in the pipeline. You don't invest money in something you don't care about. It's also very unlikely that a CEO who just recently proclaimed 'cloud and mobile first', would turn around two months later and decide to abandon their only mobile efforts that are having any success at all.
    There are no officially announced devices in the pipeline, and when we look at the current set-up it does really look bad.

The 930 features hardware that was high-end over half a year ago and it isn't released yet. And when it's released it will be heavily overpriced. The Lumia 630 is a low-cost phone with heavily cut features, while Microsoft at the same time releases an Android phone with more features for a lower price.

All of these devices are practically Nokia and not yet Microsoft.

At this point it's more a question of making past investments not too bad by releasing what was already produced anyway. As long as there is no real high-end device announced I really don't believe that Microsoft cares much about Windows Phone. Rumors on the main page that consist of "somebody said something will be great" don't really change that.
    wpn00b likes this.
    07-02-2014 01:25 AM
    They will still make wp but that wont be their primary focus I think...
    07-02-2014 01:32 AM
    The sky is falling!!! Microsoft hates windows phone, I need a curb to jump off of...../sarcasm

Talk about drama queens , some of you guys need to worry about more important things in life, this coming from someone who is obsessed with technology, but lets not get all emo people
    neo158 and wpn00b like this.
    07-02-2014 02:21 AM
    I honestly think windows phone deserves to fail and Joe Belfiore should be fired.
    Actually, Joe Belfiore should be replaced for someone who is truly dedicated to the platform and wants it to be the best.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    07-02-2014 02:37 AM
    Yeah I think so. WP is good enough though. But they are being complacent and the music apps failure is amplifying any little bug lol
    07-02-2014 03:09 AM
    Look guys. It's not like I don't understand you. I do. I've been frustrated before to. Particularly Skype really gets under my skin.

I'm just putting up resistance because I feel the level of whininess has gotten a bit out of control here lately. Particularly in comparison to the problems we actually have. Hop over to AC or iMore and you'll see it's not all roses and cookies over there either. Not everything works as advertised there either.

Your right. For my part I've been waving the MS bashing stick around too easily and its destructive not constructive. Id like to help them by adding my voice to their own forums when an issue as large as this arises. Perhaps a link to the official MS site/forum imbedded in the news posts may be useful so we can let MS know in numbers and at the same time discuss here on WPC?
    07-02-2014 03:24 AM
    I think the issue is that they don't say anything. Joe Belfiore tweeted about a massive Skype update and instead we get whatever was released last week. Lack of communication kills
    Great deal likes this.
    07-02-2014 03:59 AM
    The sky is falling!!! Microsoft hates windows phone, I need a curb to jump off of...../sarcasm

Talk about drama queens , some of you guys need to worry about more important things in life, this coming from someone who is obsessed with technology, but lets not get all emo people
    I've been using Microsoft phones for 12 years now. Even though I often felt like Microsoft isn't taking its customer serious and Microsoft often pulled the strangest stunts I kept on buying Microsoft phones.

Of course I get a little emotional now that I think that Microsoft really went too far and I'll buy a phone from another platform because of it.
    Last edited by Chregu; 07-02-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    07-02-2014 04:12 AM
    I can't believe how much anger is in this post for a calender app. LOL
    neo158 likes this.
    07-02-2014 05:12 AM
    I can't believe how much anger is in this post for a calender app. LOL
    Its not the calendar app on its own, its a string of failures culminating with this particular failure that has tipped the seesaw over. We have all waited patiently, swallowed the pain and stuck with MS. Its just that its such a basic error that makes it soo soo frustrating. Also its not just a"n app" its actually quite serious. Picture that you run an IT department. You have given Lumia phones to your sales department, they are on the road meeting clients. Clients arrange a time to speak with you and you pull out your phone to add it..it fails, you look incompetent and lose said client, ok its a touch extreme but not beyond the realms of possibility. Or your in charge of purchasing the IT systems for your business. You are answerable to the CTO/Stakeholders and your reputation/job is on the line, you fight and push to get WP - you convince them to go with this and then this happens....how 'confident' would you/they be in the system?
    Last edited by Great deal; 07-02-2014 at 05:51 AM.
    flyingsolid and fiveaces01 like this.
    07-02-2014 05:35 AM
    Honestly I think the main problem is the leader of the project (Joe). In order for a human to be successful, his head must be pretty damn good these days, same goes for everything. As long as the brain is messed up, the whole body is messed up. Microsoft's apps are so bad, I can't believe it.
    Also, let's be real here, the progress of WP is ridiculously slow, I mean... It's been a couple of years so far and nothing major happened, there are simple and essential stuff that everyone needs and they don't do them and most would require a couple days of coding. I don't know what to say about the future, but if they keep this pace it's going to be a shipwreck in the next couple of years.
    Sure, there are lots of small OEMs joining Microsoft, but for them to sell their phones, the OS must be great, and so far it's not really great. A change in leadership would do wonders.
    Also they should fire the whole XBox dev team, Music/Video/Games are so slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow it's frustrating and IE, well... IE sucks! They don't support a lot of cool stuff going nowadays on the internet and the fact that we can't change the default browser to one with another engine (i.e. Chrome) or the music/video player to a better one it feels like we're back on the communism days.
    We need more options to choose from since Microsoft is not able to fulfill our demands.
    They want to be the next big thing and they can't even make they're few customers happy.
    I hope one day Satya reads these flaming comments because they are the only things that matter nowadays.
    That's my 2 cents.
    wpn00b likes this.
    07-02-2014 05:58 AM
    That scenario isn't terribly realistic. Apps crashing won't make a salesman look incompetent - failing to find one of several ways of recording that information would do though. People are generally used to apps crashing from time to time.

Mistakes happen. For all of the risk assessment/testing/retesting that a core app goes through, it just takes one person to copy/paste the wrong deployment file or tick the wrong tick box for something untoward to happen. Labelling the entire Microsoft corporation or department as incompetent as a result is inappropriate and short-sighted. Failures in the computing world happens - Facebook goes down, Twitter goes down, Office 356 hosted Exchange systems go down (now that's a real business losing situation). It happens - read the right tech websites and you'll get stories of something failing every week.

It's life.

A few years ago, the IT department where I used to work (about 150 people) were made redundant and the services were outsourced. The outsourcing company were risk-averse, so did as little as humanly possible in order to limit risk of things breaking. The result was a stable system - the downside was that there was no evolution, no improvements made, the whole system just stagnated.

In order to move forwards, changes have to happen, and that brings the risk of a few things breaking, a few mistakes. If I wanted stability, I'd buy a WinMo 6.5 and never update it or add apps.

But no, I'd rather live thanks very much.
    07-02-2014 06:01 AM
    In order to move forwards, changes have to happen, and that brings the risk of a few things breaking, a few mistakes. If I wanted stability, I'd buy a WinMo 6.5 and never update it or add apps.

But no, I'd rather live thanks very much.
    Moving forward is good. But did the update do anything except breaking the app?

I guess if there were regular feature updates people would care much less. But this was after weeks an update that might make the app a little faster or correct a few bugs nobody notices, I really think it could be tested before it's released. A few days more or less won't matter.

Also, if everything else were fine in the WP world I guess people would have barely noticed.
    07-02-2014 06:55 AM
    Moving forward is good. But did the update do anything except breaking the app?
    Let me repeat myself here. That build of the app was more than likely not intended to hit the Windows Phone store. Human error is the acceptable risk or progress. That's the point I was attempting to make.
    neo158 and wpn00b like this.
    07-02-2014 07:15 AM
    Let me repeat myself here. That build of the app was more than likely not intended to hit the Windows Phone store. Human error is the acceptable risk or progress. That's the point I was attempting to make.
    Hence the point everyone else is trying to make. It's a symptom of a greater carelessness. As Daniel Rubino points out on the homepage, Microsoft is turning allies into enemies with this and the Xbox music debacle.
    dlalonde likes this.
    07-02-2014 07:21 AM
    Deleted . Mistakenly posted from phone
    07-02-2014 07:51 AM
    Windows Phone market share: Crash and burn | BGR

Maybe they can see the writing on the wall and don't care any longer. :(
    It's from BGR. Enough said....
    07-02-2014 07:58 AM
127 1234 ...