Is Microsoft taking the mickey out of us? Are we being mocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
First Skype, then Xbox Music, then Calendar. When will we say enough is enough? Even BlackBerry is releasing relatively stable updates. Thinking of i logically, yes 8.0 to 8.1 was a big jump, but thy should'e done more. A lot more. They had 18 months to finish it and yet they are still not there.
They regularly botch updates, the OS is becoming laggy at times, I mean. WHY are we even loyal to WP is what I wonder sometimes? Even the beautiful startscreen is ruined by lag
/endrant

Edit:
Just to make it clear
"Taking the **** is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the **** out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[1] It is also not to be confused with "taking a ****", which refers to the act of urinating. Taking the Mickey (Mickey Bliss, Cockney rhyming slang) or taking the Michael is another term for making fun of someone."

Further Edit: I have a 630 so please do not mention the word preview or I will decapitate you virtually :)

Last edited:

fardream

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is Microsoft taking the mickey out of us?

I honestly think windows phone deserves to fail and Joe Belfiore should be fired.

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

I hate to say it; but in many ways you have a point. Thats why I left my and my family's four Nokia's on 8.0 and they are going to stay there until the official 8.1/cyan is pushed out. Microsoft seems to being making a bit of a mess out of this whole update thing. But all of our four phones are working great and we have not gotten any of the bad updates yet. I hope they get things straightened out; but I think they are not doing the popularity of WP8 any good. Plus with the lack of new phones and the update problems it almost seems like they are trying to keep their market share low. It looks like they are putting the mickey in us not out. (Mickey Mouse).

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Typical case of give the consumer what they cry for then pound on you for doing it.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Typical case of give the consumer what they cry for then pound on you for doing it.

I remember all those times I wished the music apps live tile could just go away, and when I was pissed off that I could edit my calendar entries. I remeber wanting my start screen to lag (it did in 8.0, thought 8.1 would fix it)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I wasn't aware that I had any mickey in me, but if I do, I'm definitely not letting anyone take it! That I am sure about!

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

I wasn't aware that I had any mickey in me, but if I do, I'm definitely not letting anyone take it! That I am sure about!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_**** overactive censor bot skinned the URL.
Taking the p$%$ is a British term meaning to take liberties at the expense of others, or to be unreasonable. It is often used to mean (or confused with) taking the **** out of, which is an expression meaning to mock, tease, ridicule, or scoff.[1] It is also not to be confused with "taking a ****", which refers to the act of urinating. Taking the Mickey (Mickey Bliss, Cockney rhyming slang) or taking the Michael is another term for making fun of someone.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
IMO the roll out of 8.1 has been a disaster. The preview is unstable and has perf problems in my phone. Only one device launched with the new OS. It's like they're doing a poor job o they don't have any faith in this release.
I still want to see modern UI 2.0 before abandoning the ship.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone market share: Crash and burn | BGR

Maybe they can see the writing on the wall and don't care any longer. :(

That is nonsense.

If they didn't care, there wouldn't be any more devices in the pipeline. You don't invest money in something you don't care about. It's also very unlikely that a CEO who just recently proclaimed 'cloud and mobile first', would turn around two months later and decide to abandon their only mobile efforts that are having any success at all.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
All this crying and moaning over a preview software. Look guys, lets be real here. For those of us running the DP, please remember that its just that.. A developer preview. Bug and glitches are expected. Botched apps will be expected also. Remember we are running these bits without official updated firmware from our respective device OEMs. So, the calendar update was a dud.. Alright, hang tight and wait for it to be fixed. You guys think, WP is the only platform that experiences these types of issues with an official app? Google's Hangout app is hella buggy from the start and till now haven't been fixed yet. Apple's iOS had a disaster with their Maps app launch. Lets cut with the bitchin. Stuff breaks. Its inevitable. I'm sure MS have heard the cries and are actively working to solve the problem.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
All this crying and moaning over a preview software. Look guys, lets be real here. For those of us running the DP, please remember that its just that.. A developer preview. Bug and glitches are expected. Botched apps will be expected also. Remember we are running these bits without official updated firmware from our respective device OEMs. So, the calendar update was a dud.. Alright, hang tight and wait for it to be fixed. You guys think, WP is the only platform that experiences these types of issues with an official app? Google's Hangout app is hella buggy from the start and till now haven't been fixed yet. Apple's iOS had a disaster with their Maps app launch. Lets cut with the bitchin. Stuff breaks. Its inevitable. I'm sure MS have heard the cries and are actively working to solve the problem.
-630 or is that running preview software as well?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
yeah the 630 us not running dev prev

C

Craigtrain

I mean. WHY are we even loyal to WP is what I wonder sometimes?

Being loyal to ANY company is nonsense, and I just don't know why I keep reading comments like these. We are consumers, we don't owe these large companies anything. If you're unhappy using Windows Phone, move on to something that makes you happy.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think people in the WP community shift into panic mode real fast. When it comes to emotional stability, every girlfriend I've had trumps WPC. I suspect that just comes with the uncertainties of buying into a minority ecosystem.

Yes, the calendar issue is a bit much. Someone likely will lose their job over that. But software engineers are also just humans. Not a person here can honestly say the company they work for didn't make a single mistake during the last year. It happens.

There is no denying that WP is going through a rough patch. Unfortunately, MS can't really afford those. Not the way Google and Apple can. If this were iMore, we'd be told the calendar works fine and that we're just holding it wrong :-/

Can MS do better? Of course. Is this accurately represented by WPC's emotional mood swings. Not even close.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I think people in the WP community shift into panic mode real fast. When it comes to emotional stability, every girlfriend I've had trumps WPC. I suspect that just comes with the uncertainties of buying into a minority ecosystem.

Yes, the calendar issue is a bit much. Someone likely will lose their job over that. But software engineers are also just humans. Not a person here can honestly say the company they work for didn't make a single mistake during the last year. It happens.

There is no denying that WP is going through a rough patch. Unfortunately, MS can't really afford those. Not the way Google and Apple can. If this were iMore, we'd be told the calendar works fine and that we're just holding it wrong :-/

Can MS do better? Of course. Is this accurately represented by WPC's emotional mood swings. Not even close.
And that really is the problem. I like my WP, I really do. The issue is, I'm not convinced Microsoft likes it as much as me.(Also yes people shift into panic mode easily). Thing is, I bought my Lunias on my allowance. In 8.0 The start screen was really the only thing I wanted fixed(backgrounds and less reloading). 8.1 is awesome, but hasn't fixed the reloading issues and has introduced the Xbox music issue. Now I play music everyday, and I legitimately feel like crying when I get an error or 10. It's like the app hates me. I've other music apps, but Mixradio is crap and being unable to edit the album art is just a PITA. Skype being a POS just adds to it. If WO had the best Skype mobile, the best Xbox music etc, then yeah. But when MS appears to favor other platforms to the point of even being careless with updates to its own apps like the games app and the calendar app even Onedrive had a duplicate problem IIRC, I mean really. Facepalm*

Great deal

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

How many mistakes is too much is the decision we all have to make as individuals. For the CTO's and IT heads that have deployed or are considering deploying WP8.1 then it may be them that end up being fired as well. We don't know how much real money has been lost due to the app screw up. In my eyes the list is growing...

Windows 8 (MS are back peddling to bring the start button back)
WP - in terms of basic features its always been playing catchup - they really do make life harder for themselves though
Skype - How long do they need to sort this out?
Xbox Music - Same as Skype - ridiculous!
Calendar - Essential component - and they havnt bothered to press a few buttons to release the previous version.
Surface Tablet - screen issues and its dead in the water now
Surface Pro 2 - Wifi and BT issues
Surface Pro 3 - Hand placement issues and Wifi issues as well

Its not too much to ask for a product that I pay for to work as advertised is it? I think I've given MS enough chances, I can live in the Microsoft ecosystem without a Windows Phone, McLaren with 8.1 better work or ill make sure the door doesn't hit me on the way out !

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
That is nonsense.

If they didn't care, there wouldn't be any more devices in the pipeline. You don't invest money in something you don't care about. It's also very unlikely that a CEO who just recently proclaimed 'cloud and mobile first', would turn around two months later and decide to abandon their only mobile efforts that are having any success at all.
Actually, there ARE reasons for investing money in something you don't "care" about. There are contractual obligations and agreements, tax liability and benefit issues, public perception, etc. that would cause a company to produce a product that they didn't care about.

Look at Microsoft's track record for a reasonable example of what the future holds. Historically speaking, Windows Phone 8/8.1 is on borrowed time. Microsoft is reaching the 4 year anniversary of this OS generation and with that, time to for them to re-re-reboot their mobile OS. (since 2000, they have rebooted their mobile OS nearly every 4 years)

I suspect that there is an internal shift of resources from the current WP 8/8.1 and onto the "next thing" that is based on the universal Windows app framework they revealed at this year's //build/ conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05