is windows phone worth hanging onto?

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big windows phone fan, been with it since 8.0 came out. Though all said why a windows, i chose it for its interface n smoothness (i own a 520). Now I'm due an upgrade and am wondering is it still worth hanging onto Microsoft seeing how the OS just(still not the official) got the features at par with ios and Android and considering the fact that what made me go for windows(performance on lesser HW) is been done by Android pretty well since 4.4. Devices like moto G make me look stupid when i consider a 630

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
it depends on your needs and preferences really.
if you want more apps and greater customization, go android.
if you absolutely can't stop using the Modern UI, stay with WP.

for me, the reason I love WP is because the People hub is no-contest the best contact book ever created, the email app is simply amazing, the beautiful tiles, and Cortana. If you have use the remind me feature of Cortana you'll know it's a god-send for forgetful people or when you have a to do list and want reminders.

it's actually kinda difficult for me to describe why I love WP. it's just one of those thing where you know from the inside the moment you see the OS that it's for you but you just can't put it into words fully.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
that's correct. it depends on ur priorities.
Windows Phone is a really nice OS, and definitively its gonna be there and continuously updating. thus, the features and apps gap gonna be lowering down over the time.
it's just, what r ur needs and demands, makes the decision.
plz do not compare with other OSs. the comparison is meaningless.
those all who boast about features and apps, should think about the WP as a complete overhaul from Win Mobile OS and Win CE, which in last 5 updates, iOS and android has failed to serve. windows was there as a smart phone OS, when iPhone was not born (not even in Steve Jobs' mind). those who count the apps counter, should count the apps made for Win Mobile also as they are counting the apps made for iOS 2 and android 2.0
plz do not think that i am not a hater for other OSs, as i use everything. i have iPad, Samsung S3, Toshiba Tab at my home. i just dont like people comparing and being partial while considering the data.

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
The L630 is a modest device, qua features. If you want the bling from Motorola you could consider a Xolo Win Q900s for example.
It is not due to wp that a L630 looks modest compared to the competition, if you like wp you just have to be a little patient for competative devices to show up because wp 8.1 is only just recently on the market, and without fees for manufacturers.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Depends on your needs. If you want simple stuff, stick with WP. If you want to be able to do everything and customize, plus have your favourite apps, Android is the way to go. Moto G is a true winner for its price. I would have bought that hadnt it been for L620(well, 620 released a year earlier so.)

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The L630 is a modest device, qua features. If you want the bling from Motorola you could consider a Xolo Win Q900s for example.
It is not due to wp that a L630 looks modest compared to the competition, if you like wp you just have to be a little patient for competative devices to show up because wp 8.1 is only just recently on the market, and without fees for manufacturers.
guess ur not an India, u have no idea how pathetically cheap these xolo and micromax phones are in terms of quality

its more about the device for me, they need to refresh their entire line up (almost). Love my l520 but it shows its age.
i don't see the 'app gap' but surely WP apps are somewhat inferior in quality than its counterpart.

Depends on your needs. If you want simple stuff, stick with WP. If you want to be able to do everything and customize, plus have your favourite apps, Android is the way to go. Moto G is a true winner for its price. I would have bought that hadnt it been for L620(well, 620 released a year earlier so.)

windows phone needs a device like moto G, total bang for your buck

Last edited by a moderator:

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ultimately, it depends on your needs and usage habits. I find myself using Windows phone passively when I'm not traveling for work. Whenever I have to travel, I use my iPhone; it's a no brainer. Airline, hotels, credit card apps, expensify, uber etc. They are either nonexistent or abysmal in their current state on windows phone.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
windows phone needs a device like moto G, total bang for your buck

Well, we have one in Lumia 630 :p but non HD screen, 512MB RAM, no rear flash and no future update to Wp9.I doubt NOKIA will release a winner like Moto G at the similar price point. Even then, nothing compares to the functionality and usability of Android. If you have the money, and desire in Android, go for the Moto G. I dont think there's much in WP even in WP8.1 . Cyan firmware isnt going to be a great boost. Lumia 520 is a lower spec anyway.

euichii

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
and no future update to Wp9..

If you're a software dev for windows phone in MS I will surely believe you. No one knows that for sure.

Regarding the topic if you can still hold out for new devices to be announced by MS, please do wait. And as much as possible course one with at least a gig of RAM. If not choose what works for you the most.

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
If you're a software dev for windows phone in MS I will surely believe you. No one knows that for sure.

Regarding the topic if you can still hold out for new devices to be announced by MS, please do wait. And as much as possible course one with at least a gig of RAM. If not choose what works for you the most.

Microsoft has a history of dumping products they made biggest one being zune and wp7

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site

for me, the reason I love WP is because the People hub is no-contest the best contact book ever created, the email app is simply amazing, the beautiful tiles, and Cortana. If you have use the remind me feature of Cortana you'll know it's a god-send for forgetful people or when you have a to do list and want reminders.

it's actually kinda difficult for me to describe why I love WP. it's just one of those thing where you know from the inside the moment you see the OS that it's for you but you just can't put it into words fully.

Well our precious remind me feature has already been stolen by android L on their new smart watch and possibly the phones too.

BBMINI

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
This whole thread totally reminds me of countless posts on CrackBerry by folks who couldn't decide for themselves whether to jump from BlackBerry or wait for RIM's next device. Just the subject line alone immediately reminded me of my time on CB and the frequent answerless questions posted by folks wondering "should I switch to [insert other mobile OS here]?". :eck:

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
This whole thread totally reminds me of countless posts on CrackBerry by folks who couldn't decide for themselves whether to jump from BlackBerry or wait for RIM's next device. Just the subject line alone immediately reminded me of my time on CB and the frequent answerless questions posted by folks wondering "should I switch to [insert other mobile OS here]?". :eck:

i love WP, always have but seeing my friend's moto G i was really tempted to move to Android specially after knowing that it would get the L update

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
The answer is simple. If your WP can't do everything you want, then yes, you should get a device that can.

No sense in waiting for desired features or apps that may or may not come to Windows Phone when they already exist in another platform.

I, however, just came from a BB10 device and I find my Lumia 822 and Windows Phone 8 to be a breath of fresh air. I'm encouraged by things I've seen and heard recently about Microsoft's vision for universal app development and platform convergence. I think some exciting things are coming.
Posted from my Nokia Lumia 822 using Tapatalk

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site

(Shrugs) I'm just here for the Nokia cameras, particularly the Lumia 1020 and the Nokia N8 running Symbian; for apps, I own an iPad Air and Moto X.

People hub in 8.1 is effectively toothless; aside from the scrolling contacts list, any other action launches a third party splash screen and app like Facebook or Twitter. Most of Windows Phone's reason for being, the Hub integration in People, Music and Photos, was done away with in 8.1.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm a big windows phone fan, been with it since 8.0 came out. Though all said why a windows, i chose it for its interface n smoothness (i own a 520). Now I'm due an upgrade and am wondering is it still worth hanging onto Microsoft seeing how the OS just(still not the official) got the features at par with ios and Android and considering the fact that what made me go for windows(performance on lesser HW) is been done by Android pretty well since 4.4. Devices like moto G make me look stupid when i consider a 630

Yes it is worthy to hang on to Windows Phone.

But first do everyone and yourself a favor.

Please upgrade your phone before you make a decision.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site

I am staying with both WP and Android and keep my Lumia 1520 as a photocamera (it's substituting an Olympus EP3 for most street photography). This may lead you to think that's not worth hanging on WP.
However, for some reason i'd suggest people who are already on both platforms not to give up on WP. I complain a lot but it's not because the platform is a total loser; it's more a Microsoft issue than an OS issue. The OS has endless potentialities. Microsoft is making users hate it with delays, badly implemented functions, lack of basic functions, poor attention to global users etc. It's as if they had forgotten all their skills in the mobile area. But if you only have one device and feel like WP is limited, then go to Android for a while. There is hope in the next two years WP may be a bit better. The new Android iteration promises faster performances, smoother experience (and a boring interface for me). I don't think you should feel any stupid anyways. People pick their device based on their needs. If your 520 fits your needs why look in neighbor's garden? If it lacks, migrate without thinking too much. Remember that middle-low range WP offer a much better experience of their par devices on Android. Also, till Google proves it true, Android devices tend to slow down (i have a Galaxy Note II and it's almost unusable at times.....honestly).

That is my very humble two cents or even less :)

NokianWP

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
The reason I love WP is because it is like iOS in its "golden age", where you see the OS GROWING, not frantically grabbing at already used ideas like android and IOS are now doing. ("metro" anyone?) you see the additions of fresh things like Cortana, Glance, 2xtap to wake, while getting awesome apps like HERE Drive, which does not have a competitor IMO. Also, you get new options to play with, a VERY customizable OS out of the box, (8.1 makes it even better) plus photography to match if you have a Lumia. Additionally, the OS turns heads and with little lag, lasts a LONG time while also "?seeming faster?". Exciting growth, and a hipster OS to match. MS is just getting started.
Ps: don't forget the great spell check and prediction engine(WP) that iOS is years behind in :p
Can't speak for android, never had a phone powered by it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb