is windows phone worth hanging onto?

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I am staying with both WP and Android and keep my Lumia 1520 as a photocamera (it's substituting an Olympus EP3 for most street photography). This may lead you to think that's not worth hanging on WP.
However, for some reason i'd suggest people who are already on both platforms not to give up on WP. I complain a lot but it's not because the platform is a total loser; it's more a Microsoft issue than an OS issue. The OS has endless potentialities. Microsoft is making users hate it with delays, badly implemented functions, lack of basic functions, poor attention to global users etc. It's as if they had forgotten all their skills in the mobile area. But if you only have one device and feel like WP is limited, then go to Android for a while. There is hope in the next two years WP may be a bit better. The new Android iteration promises faster performances, smoother experience (and a boring interface for me). I don't think you should feel any stupid anyways. People pick their device based on their needs. If your 520 fits your needs why look in neighbor's garden? If it lacks, migrate without thinking too much. Remember that middle-low range WP offer a much better experience of their par devices on Android. Also, till Google proves it true, Android devices tend to slow down (i have a Galaxy Note II and it's almost unusable at times.....honestly).

That is my very humble two cents or even less :)

agree its a more Microsoft problem than the os itself.
what i meant when i said stupid was comparing the lumia 630 on HW to moto G

Yes it is worthy to hang on to Windows Phone.

But first do everyone and yourself a favor.

Please upgrade your phone before you make a decision.

well, im a student and here in India we don't have contracts from our service providers on devices. we pay the full price so i considerably have a limited budget

Hang on to Windows considering the change you saw from wp8 to wp8.1 you might have an idea of how quickly things are changing.

quickly? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:

Judas20

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
i love WP, always have but seeing my friend's moto G i was really tempted to move to Android specially after knowing that it would get the L update
Don't get the Moto G it starts to lag like hell after a couple of months. I would advise you stick to WP, maybe get a 620 if you want to upgrade or you might want to wait for the 530 to be released. I know MS won't screw us with that phone.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
using nokia lumia 520, can use it for at least 16 hrs, longest time 2 days, doesn't like android, etc nokia X, max only 1 day, min 7 hr

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
well, im a student and here in India we don't have contracts from our service providers on devices. we pay the full price so i considerably have a limited budget
It is not wise to make a current purchasing decision based on the promise/wish of what MIGHT come in the future. Look at the current state of WP8, WP apps, and what can be known about WP8.1. Are these favorable to you? If so, then continue on. But if not, then consider switching for this upgrade cycle to something that will suit your needs.

What if WP9 were to be incompatible with WP8.x? How would that factor into your decision?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
It is not wise to make a current purchasing decision based on the promise/wish of what MIGHT come in the future. Look at the current state of WP8, WP apps, and what can be known about WP8.1. Are these favorable to you? If so, then continue on. But if not, then consider switching for this upgrade cycle to something that will suit your needs.

What if WP9 were to be incompatible with WP8.x? How would that factor into your decision?

You have to estimate the future to make buying decisions of durable goods. Your advices is nonsense.

What if iOS 9 and Android 6 aren't backward compatible? That would be stupid too.

Please don't spread FUD, if you are frustrated get over it.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
i love WP, always have but seeing my friend's moto G i was really tempted to move to Android specially after knowing that it would get the L update

Get the Moto G, then. It's obvious that you are interested in it. If it meets your budget, then do it!!!

Once you've used WP, nothing else compares. Android bells and whistles only hide the fact that it has no real style or substance. Yeah, there are more apps, but the OS is crappy in the long run. The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.....

I'm sure you will return to the WP fold at some point.

Pranjal Rai

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
You can wait for a couple of months. I own a l520 too and gonna switch to l730 or 830, when either gets released. Cuz my friend owns a Moto G too, and seeing that it hasn't yet got the 4.4.3 update, it's pretty hard to say it will get the L update or not. Android feels boring to me, that's why I chose wp over it. If you feel that apps and games are less on wp(which is definitely not true), you can take your chances with Android. Cheers.

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
You can wait for a couple of months. I own a l520 too and gonna switch to l730 or 830, when either gets released. Cuz my friend owns a Moto G too, and seeing that it hasn't yet got the 4.4.3 update, it's pretty hard to say it will get the L update or not. Android feels boring to me, that's why I chose wp over it. If you feel that apps and games are less on wp(which is definitely not true), you can take your chances with Android. Cheers.
moto G n moto X will get L, it's official i guess

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Get the Moto G, then. It's obvious that you are interested in it. If it meets your budget, then do it!!!

Once you've used WP, nothing else compares. Android bells and whistles only hide the fact that it has no real style or substance. Yeah, there are more apps, but the OS is crappy in the long run. The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side.....

I'm sure you will return to the WP fold at some point.

hope Microsoft comes out with a nice mid range device soon...720 is an option but a risky one. i doubt it would get updates for long and it runs on same hardware as the 520.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
You have to estimate the future to make buying decisions of durable goods. Your advices is nonsense.

What if iOS 9 and Android 6 aren't backward compatible? That would be stupid too.

Please don't spread FUD, if you are frustrated get over it.
Not spreading FUD. It certainly doesn't have more FUD-like tendencies than the "go for it dude! WP is kewl!" slaps on the back.

It is part of prudent decision making. Though I don't expect you to understand the advice that I gave to the requester.

R B5

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I would like to hang on to my windows phone becaue of the voice activated features but i will probably dump it for something else soon unless they can come up with a way to get the voice activated answering system to quit reading off all the instructions. I have used it 500 times, just need it to beep and let me give the instruction to read it, ignore it or im done. I don't need someone to give me the instructions every time and this is a major flaw in the voice activated feature which I love.
Otherwise, I will go to the Note 3 or something similar that also does same thing.The colors are great though, Ilike that part of it and although to me the phone isn't my favorite type of phone, I can live with it if they fix that voice feature and tune it up.

dcuk7

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Motorola stopped the rollout of 4.4.3 for their devices due to an OpenSSL bug found in that version of Android. It has been fixed in 4.4.4 and Motorola will be rolling that out to the Moto G and Moto X shortly.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has a history of dumping products they made biggest one being zune and wp7

And Windows Mobile....

Microsoft has stated every WP will be supported for 36 months. While I realize "supported" is not the same as "updated to next major OS version", I submit to you no company except Apple has done that either. BlackBerry 10 dumped all other BBOS users, and every new version of Android leaves about 8 out of evey 10 Android user out in the cold. Most of the low end and mid range Android devices do not get upgraded to the next Android version, only top end flagships and a few top sellers do.

So, do not let upgrading decide for you. Focus on the best device you can afford and what you want it to do.

I suggest making a three column list:

-What do you truly do with your phone, and can not live without?
-What you like to have as features on your phone, but don't use that much and could live without.
-What do you really not need, never use, and could care less about?

Then, line up the devices you are thinking about and see which device has what boxes checked where. Then, get the one that has the most boxes checked in your first 2 columns.

I hope it is the Windows Phone. If not, I certainly wouldn't want you settling for something that won't work for you. But if it is, who CARES what your buddies Moto can do???

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm very loyal to Windows Phone. This time next year, Threshold will be the talk of the town.
The way I look at it, "I really-really don't want an android, but I really don't want an IPhone. So, Windows Phone is the only thing that's left."

Rajat Malhotra

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
And Windows Mobile....

Microsoft has stated every WP will be supported for 36 months. While I realize "supported" is not the same as "updated to next major OS version", I submit to you no company except Apple has done that either. BlackBerry 10 dumped all other BBOS users, and every new version of Android leaves about 8 out of evey 10 Android user out in the cold. Most of the low end and mid range Android devices do not get upgraded to the next Android version, only top end flagships and a few top sellers do.

So, do not let upgrading decide for you. Focus on the best device you can afford and what you want it to do.

I suggest making a three column list:

-What do you truly do with your phone, and can not live without?
-What you like to have as features on your phone, but don't use that much and could live without.
-What do you really not need, never use, and could care less about?

Then, line up the devices you are thinking about and see which device has what boxes checked where. Then, get the one that has the most boxes checked in your first 2 columns.

I hope it is the Windows Phone. If not, I certainly wouldn't want you settling for something that won't work for you. But if it is, who CARES what your buddies Moto can do???

window phone does full fill my needs but as a device moto G is quite tempting. If Microsoft comes out with some comparable budget device, i would be more than happy to stick with windows.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte