Message to all Nokia fans

Jcmg62

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Dude....Microsost bought Nokia fair and square. Frankly they can do whatever they want with the name, they've bought that right. Let's face it, the way things were going for Nokia, if MS hadn't bought them they would have gone under anyway.

And who cares about the name.....its the quality of hardware and software that matters.....they can call it higgledy piggeldy handsets for all I care

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Dude....Microsost bought Nokia fair and square. Frankly they can do whatever they want with the name, they've bought that right. Let's face it, the way things were going for Nokia, if MS hadn't bought them they would have gone under anyway.

And who cares about the name.....its the quality of hardware and software that matters.....they can call it higgledy piggeldy handsets for all I care

Even though you're mainly right, the OP still has some valid points. Many people think of high quality, reliable and endurable devices when they hear the name Nokia. From a business point of view Microsoft would be wise to keep the brand alive for the next couple of years. Which is exactly what they're planning to do, as far as I know. They at least are permitted to use the brand name for the next few years.
Regarding the rebranding of apps in the store, I clearly disagree with the OP's opinion. The guys responsible for those apps are all Microsoft employees now. So ditching the name Nokia and replace it with Microsoft Mobile makes perfect sense. I don't believe this rebranding of apps has any larger impact on what people may think about those apps.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Nokia is synonym of failure in smartphones. A dumb phone brand only hurts the sales of the product.

Microsoft has to remove that awful name of the phones and services if they want to increase their market share.

People don't buy phones motivated by nostalgia or pity.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Nokia is synonym of failure in smartphones. A dumb phone brand only hurts the sales of the product.

The reputation of Nokia and the quality of its Lumia handsets has kept Windows Phone alive during its infancy as an OS. Without Nokia I wouldn't even own a Windows Phone, and I expect many others wouldn't either. I just hope Microsoft's own branding won't tarnish Microsoft Mobile/Nokia's future devices.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The reputation of Nokia and the quality of its Lumia handsets has kept Windows Phone alive during its infancy as an OS. Without Nokia I wouldn't even own a Windows Phone, and I expect many others wouldn't either. I just hope Microsoft's own branding won't tarnish Microsoft Mobile/Nokia's future devices.

I wholeheartedly agree. What Rodan01 said is utter nonsense. Quite the opposite of the truth.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
He's right I bought Lumia because it's Nokia my father, my uncle, my cousin all of them have Lumia because it's Nokia.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Nokia is famous for its endurance quality, so removing the Nokia brand from hardware might just do more harm than good for MS. Its best for MS to retain the Nokia brand for atleast a little longer while the news of Nokia getting absorbed sinks in to more consumers, world over.

As for renaming the apps, hmm, I don't really care as long as they work .

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site

Agreed...i own Lumia 720 just because it was Nokia although my friends were saying me not to go for complicated Windows

tonybessette

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, to the average user (which was me, until I owned my 1520)...the name Nokia is the equivalent to that of failure, or more so, ancient history. I remember when I owned my iPhone 5, and actually WANTED a WP....I was upset cause all the handsets out looked hideous, and I would touch a Lumia with a 10' pole....and I actually remember saying "ewww, I can't believe anyone would ever want a Nokia now a days". That is until the 1520 came out....this beast is gorgeous!! Once you OWN a "now a days" Nokia handset, you understand that the build quality and construction are beyond amazing. However, those who own a Nokia today are colossally miniscule compared to iphone and android owners. So to the vast majority of the population, they look at Nokia as ancient history or a dumb phone maker trying to cut in on the smartphone world. So although there are many out there that KNOW the truth about Nokia (they are awesome)....its best for Microsoft to ditch the name, due to the extremely large majority NOT knowing what we know.

Yes Nokia I the number one WP maker, but in the world market....WP is TINY. Microsoft wants to me WP HUGE, al la, getting big POPULAR names like Sony, Samsung (again), and others on board to make WP handsets. Microsoft is doing the right thing, by replacing the name Nokia with Microsoft.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes Nokia I the number one WP maker, but in the world market....WP is TINY. Microsoft wants to me WP HUGE, al la, getting big POPULAR names like Sony, Samsung (again), and others on board to make WP handsets. Microsoft is doing the right thing, by replacing the name Nokia with Microsoft.

I understand what you're saying, but it's important to recognise that many people who chose a Nokia Lumia with Windows Phone did so because it's NOT Samsung or Sony, Android or Apple. They took a chance on Windows Phone because they knew of Nokia's build quality and craftsmanship. You're right that Windows Phone probably needs these other companies on board at this point in its life, but losing the Nokia brand will have no bearing on whether they come on board or not. The end of Nokia is inevitable, but Microsoft needs to be careful with those of us who cherish the brand and what it stood for - it's us, not Android and Apple fans, waiting to see what Microsoft Mobile will offer.

akthelonelyman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Im in support of phasing away the nokia name. Its just not the nokia people like me know anymore. Owned many nokias some of them "hero" devices of the time.but now its just a subsidary of microsoft .name alone doesnt make a company what it was once.so better to phase it out.
And yeah got a 1520 just coz its a nokia.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has no small part in the success of Windows Phone thus far, but I don't think that it's in the brand name as much as they were pushing hard when it seemed that Microsoft was coasting, and then at times, vice versa. It's good to have two separate companies both pushing on the company. That is, to me, the biggest downfall of Microsoft buying Nokia.

Speaking of the US market where the Nokia name doesn't mean much, I don't really care if my next Lumia says Microsoft or Nokia. I just hope there are people in Redmond and Espoo who are committed to keep this platform moving forward.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm more of a Nokia fan than a WP fan. My favorite feature phones were Nokia. I love the Lumia hardware but I'm not quite so cracked over the OS. I'd love to see the 1020 or the Icon running full fledged Android!

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The real failure here is expecting people to sit through 1:09 of a video when the text could be read in 5 seconds. Wrong medium = ignored message.

FAHMI BASSEM

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
The real failure here is expecting people to sit through 1:09 of a video when the text could be read in 5 seconds. Wrong medium = ignored message.
Good point, but I want people to read carefully, so they can think while reading, my English isn't good I hope you get the idea 💡

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes