Anti-Windows Phone Sentiment Strong Among Tech Journalists

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone share sinks in U.S. and China. Can anything save this OS? | Computerworld Blogs

Why Windows Phone cannot rebound

These are just two examples, Bing or Google "Windows Phone" or "Windows Phone news" and you'll find at least 4-5 of these types of articles PER WEEK. I've gave up on any hopes of Android using journalists being objective, the thing that irks me is that the clear problem with Windows Phone in markets like the US, is absolutely terrible, anemic, forgettable and boring advertising of the platform by Microsoft up to this point. All while Apple has that brilliant & memorable "Go Chicken Fat Go" ad and Samsung has their fitness and water proof ads running non-stop here in the US across all channels and mediums. From TV, to Internet and even radio and popular podcasts. Microsoft in the meantime only has pushed the new SP3 and Xbox One (with Aaron Paul). Where are the Windows Phone commercials!!! Would there be any to speak of from 2013 if it weren't for pre-Microsoft acquisition Nokia?

If I don't see heavy Windows Phone 8.1 & Cortana ads saturating American media after the Cyan rollout I'm going to begin losing hope. Advertising and educating the consumer is literally 50% the battle, iOS and Android didn't get to where they are now by hoping consumers would magically find them and adopt their products in mass. Are there not any real market analysts and advertising people on the Redmond campus??? Brilliant software engineers but ZERO marketing managers is the reality in Redmond HQ.

It's clear why WP is doing terrible in developed markets like the US, Germany and China it's because developed markets need competent and effective advertising campaigns and not just dirt cheap prices on entry models. Microsoft will fall on their face with WP if they don't seek a prestigious Advertising Firm outside of Redmond to promote WP. It's not like Redmond can't afford to hire REAL MARKETERS.

hope4wp

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
I think that WP is on a trampoline right now :p and the other OS are on the sky already....with no real support when they fall....as for WP....it can push itself back when it falls....but the other OS can't do anything but fall hard on the concrete floor..!! might not make sense but that thought helps me hold on to the OS and of course my love for it!

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
I think that WP is on a trampoline right now :p and the other OS are on the sky already....with no real support when they fall....as for WP....it can push itself back when it falls....but the other OS can't do anything but fall hard on the concrete floor..!! might not make sense but that thought helps me hold on to the OS and of course my love for it!
You sound like 👍 you are forced to use WP 😃. But this is a a serious problem that needs to be coped with...Microsoft doesn't know advertising...they are so damn boring that before I had WP,I also used to think it as a crap , that tries to grab our attention with so idiotic manner.... While the others ( Samsung being the best) make catchy adds....take Panasonic for example...it showed gestures control which can be done on any android with the help of a launcher...i mean seriously? They were promoting a phone 📱 with an feature which can be easily acquired by a free app...while WP has offline mapping via here,Nokia phones have pro cam , it has deep integration with most of the popular social networking sites.... Nokia phones have glance, and a lag free experience.... But there is not a single add that could flaunt these things... Sadly

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
You sound like �� you are forced to use WP ��. But this is a a serious problem that needs to be coped with...Microsoft doesn't know advertising...they are so damn boring that before I had WP,I also used to think it as a crap , that tries to grab our attention with so idiotic manner.... While the others ( Samsung being the best) make catchy adds....take Panasonic for example...it showed gestures control which can be done on any android with the help of a launcher...i mean seriously? They were promoting a phone �� with an feature which can be easily acquired by a free app...while WP has offline mapping via here,Nokia phones have pro cam , it has deep integration with most of the popular social networking sites.... Nokia phones have glance, and a lag free experience.... But there is not a single add that could flaunt these things... Sadly
It's almost enraging at how bad Microsoft's advertising and public relations is these days. It doesn't matter how good the product is if consumers don't know about, I stumbled upon Windows Phone thanks to Nokia's efforts not Microsoft's.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
It's almost enraging at how bad Microsoft's advertising and public relations is these days. It doesn't matter how good the product is if consumers don't know about, I stumbled upon Windows Phone thanks to Nokia's efforts not Microsoft's.

Same with me....i bought WP all because of Nokia's efforts to make this platform a better place to be.....

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Wish �� if the world of WP gets something that shocks the world... As in a recent rumour has been mentioned....
Agreed, but I'm not gonna get too excited yet considering the source. Chris Pirillo has never liked WP much, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was being really sarcastic and/or troll-y in his "Windows Phone insider info". I like the dude but his WP attitude makes me weary.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I know I saw this one too, but what the nay-Sayers say about the US market has proven to be true so far, and that's mostly to blame on Microsoft's pathetic Windows Phone advertising.

I disagree. I go to the movies at Cinemark. I've always seen some sort of advertising from Microsoft during the movie previews at my local Cinemark theater. If not Ben the PC Guy advertising Windows Phone, it's been Surface ads or Titanfall Xbox One ads.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I disagree. I go to the movies at Cinemark. I've always seen some sort of advertising from Microsoft during the movie previews at my local Cinemark theater. If not Ben the PC Guy advertising Windows Phone, it's been Surface ads or Titanfall Xbox One ads.

I see plenty of Microsoft ads too just not Windows Phone ads! We have Surface and Xbox ads we can name off the top of our heads but what about WP? Those "Brave" commercials were not only annoying and mute button warranting but were all the brain child of Nokia not MSFT. I love WP as much as anyone here at WPCentral but I cannot say with a straight face that Windows Phone's advertising up to this point has been even remotely acceptable. Go to YouTube right now and compare the amount of views the iPhone and Galaxy ads have in comparison to any Windows Phone ad. Redmond isn't impressing the mainstream consumer with their ads and the declining US market share numbers reflect that.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Generally, the tech world takes on a generally anti-Microsoft attitude.

Since what happens in the tech world can and will spill over to the the rest of the world, you get a generally anti-Microsoft attitude everywhere.

Tides are changing, though. Google can only take on its "Don't be evil" image for oh so long.
Especially when they've adopted Microsoft's former E? strategy.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I disagree with your disagreement.

No ads here in the Philippines, a distinct lack of ads in Europe, a general consensus of poor advertising in America.

I think Microsoft is just focusing on improving its image first.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Generally, the tech world takes on a generally anti-Microsoft attitude.

Since what happens in the tech world can and will spill over to the the rest of the world, you get a generally anti-Microsoft attitude everywhere.

Tides are changing, though. Google can only take on its "Don't be evil" image for oh so long.
Especially when they've adopted Microsoft's former E? strategy.

True there's absolutely an anti-Microsoft attitude out there mostly it's among the tech savvy crowd with 90% of them being too young to really have first hand experience with the true evil empire days of Microsoft in the 70's 80's and 90's, being a Microsoft hater is just a trendy in vogue thing in the tech world. Having said all that however the mainstream consumer has far less brand loyalty toward any specific product or platform. Microsoft stole millions of video gamers away from Sony and Nintendo back when they were the two console titans, if they can survive and overcome that duopoly's barrier of entry than they can with WP too. But only if their advertising gets dramatically better.

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
True there's absolutely an anti-Microsoft attitude out there mostly it's among the tech savvy crowd with 90% of them being too young to really have first hand experience with the true evil empire days of Microsoft in the 70's 80's and 90's, being a Microsoft hater is just a trendy in vogue thing in the tech world. Having said all that however the mainstream consumer has far less brand loyalty toward any specific product or platform. Microsoft stole millions of video gamers away from Sony and Nintendo back when they were the two console titans, if they can survive and overcome that duopoly's barrier of entry than they can with WP too. But only if their advertising gets dramatically better.
Agreed! Here is a link of an article in which the Rudy huyn's twitter campaign is mentioned http://www.neowin.net/news/star-win...-companies-for-not-keeping-up-with-their-apps

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site

True! Educating customers about Windows Phone ecosystem is largely the part where they are lacking, every OS has it's high and low end selling points, they just need to spread the news. When it comes to marketing, I know that they are bad since the only popular ad for Windows Phone was this:[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-U4Yr9UNBo"] Don't Fight - Microsoft New Commercial Mocks Apple And Samsung

This was a clever way to present themselves, clearly distinguishing Windows Phone from others.

Consider the image which Google presents when it comes to a user. Everyone thinks of Google as the most innovative company, blindly following the services they provide, just because they think "they are innovative". When Sergey or Larry gives a speech, or when they participate in a public discussion, it adds to value of personal touch they offer. A personal touch or a heroic innovation (Apple, Steve Jobs) lasts longer than words "Modern apps", because simply speaking words are cheap. Now that they are really doing some great work with their OS and Mobile targeting, including support to developers for advertising, they should promote their services with more personal touch. Meanwhile, Satya Nadella can't present the same image as these people do( should do!).

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft's attitude towards WP maketing is a perfect example of failure.

Google, Apple and Samsung have got nothing to worry about for a very long time. I'm pretty sure their respective marketing depts are laughing their *** off at MS and its incompetance.

A 1st year marketing student could come up with an aggressive, bold marketing plan.

The old fogies at MS are doing what?????

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
True! Educating customers about Windows Phone ecosystem is largely the part where they are lacking, every OS has it's high and low end selling points, they just need to spread the news. When it comes to marketing, I know that they are bad since the only popular ad for Windows Phone was this: Don't Fight - Microsoft New Commercial Mocks Apple And Samsung
This was a clever way to present themselves, clearly distinguishing Windows Phone from others.

Consider the image which Google presents when it comes to a user. Everyone thinks of Google as the most innovative company, blindly following the services they provide, just because they think "they are innovative". When Sergey or Larry gives a speech, or when they participate in a public discussion, it adds to value of personal touch they offer. A personal touch or a heroic innovation (Apple, Steve Jobs) lasts longer than words "Modern apps", because simply speaking words are cheap. Now that they are really doing some great work with their OS and Mobile targeting, including support to developers for advertising, they should promote their services with more personal touch. Meanwhile, Satya Nadella can't present the same image as these people do( should do!).

I think this was more Nokia than it was Microsoft but regardless I agree this is the best WP ad to date, the only problem is it's kinda long for normal TV ad spots and as a result wasn't run as much, :(

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft's attitude towards WP maketing is a perfect example of failure.

Google, Apple and Samsung have got nothing to worry about for a very long time. I'm pretty sure their respective marketing depts are laughing their *** off at MS and its incompetance.

A 1st year marketing student could come up with an aggressive, bold marketing plan.

The old fogies at MS are doing what?????

Microsoft simply has no idea what they're doing when it comes to advertising, the few good ads they produce feel completely by accident. Whereas with companies like Apple you come to expect them to knock your socks off each time.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Its not so much knock your socks for me its more the effectiveness of their communication to their target market.

Samsung have got an ad running on most major tv networks highlighting the durability/waterproof fun factor of their S5.
Do they really have to spend money on advertising with such dominant market share here in Aus?
Not really in my opinion but what it does do is saturate the mental picture of most people when it comes to choosing their next phone.

Its iphone vs S5
You won't even consider a 1520 because the general public has never heard of it here in Australia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo