Anti-Windows Phone Sentiment Strong Among Tech Journalists

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The did get some market share from Sony....but it didn't last long at all. Microsoft backed analog and had their hat handed to them and shown the door with HDMI and bluray and refused to budge until Xbox sales were in the toilet more so than now.

The Playstation is still the best budget bluray player on the market just as it was when it came out. The UI is still clean and easy to use too,compared to the Xbox.

Say what you will,but Microsoft has always done things bassackwards and has been their own worst enemy. How many people who have the kinetic are left in a lurch now?

A mobile phone to the masses isn't a extension of a expensive game console, though being able to utilize a fully separate app or a fully integrated hub for those who have one is always better than forcing all to use it. Hopefully,now with today's news,we will see everything that was wrong with this change and allow Microsoft a chance to really develops Xbox to the max,because it does have great potential. Their last update still hasn't fixed it,and they need better people working on it.

As to you not being sold on add campaigns for a smart phone,you're need to reexamine this. Add campaigns when properly executed like Apple and Google and Samsung account for billions in sales........ask them if you don't believe that they work....and until Microsoft utilizes those firms to fight fire with fire �� they will never gain any ground but continue to have flat growth or losses.
First of all Blu-Ray itself was just a short term fad that never really caught on, it was killed by instant streaming and video on Demand before it ever gained any traction. As a game disc medium it's also going to be short lived when more and more people are beginning to download their games directly to the console hard drive. The next gen consoles (if they're even called that) will likely not even have disc drives at all with the advances in SSD's. But I digress. This is not a console debate

The Xbox point was just proof that even Microsoft can come in late and against all odds become a contender. The Xbox 360 and Xbox One have stolen millions of what would've been PS3 and PS4 owners from Sony.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
No, it wasn't. This and it's brother L1020 commercial (at the recital and everyone else was trying to get closer except for the couple at the back with the L1020) were produced by Microsoft. So were all the commercials with the splitscreens pushing the L928, Icon, L1020, and several other WP's as well as their convertable tablet lines which had someone describing what they liked about the device while on the other side of the screen there is a device showing the features. These are all effective, well played adds that have made a difference in getting the WP8 devices as well as the Windows 8 devices into the consumers "mind share". In other words, MS has done a decent job of getting people to see what these phones can do, and getting them to recognize them when they walk into a store and see them displayed.

I think people are still holding MS's inactivity of WP7 against them. I see advertising everywhere for WP 8. True, it has slowed down since the CEO switch and while the Nokia purchase was still pending, but since the release of WP 8 MS has worked hard to get consumers to see the devices as a good option.

I expect this push to continue. MS has seen the overall sales of WP from below 1% in 2011 to almost 5% in 2014. Yes, that is in large part due to Nokia as well as Microsofts efforts. But, in case everyone missed it, that sales and PR team of Nokia is a part of MS now as well. I am excited for the future of WP.

Wait are you trying to say these ads are working??? Have you not looked at WP's market share figures lately? They're going DOWNWARD. You can't fix a problem if you're still in denial about the problem's existence. I care about the WP platform (as do you I'll assume) and denying that your feet are wet because the ship is taking on water is not helping the cause. Microsoft is a Fortune 500 company in a free market, they respond to us the consumer, and if we're going to be all blase and nonchalant about Windows Phone hitting a rough patch then we might as well forget about this platform securing a viable 3rd place in the market. Which means of course continued poor support from the app devs, why should 3rd party devs pour their heart and souls into WP if they can't say for sure that Microsoft themselves are doing the same?

Last edited:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I must say, the last periode there are a few wp commercials in the Netherlands ( not realy about WP but about Nokia phones ).
I don't get or feel strong negativity about WP overhere.
But there is a guy here who writes techstuf on one of the most read web/new site and it is noticeable in most his reviews that he's a IOS hugger.

I am quit openminded and i think they are all good ( Droid, IOS and WP............and the others like Blackberry etc.. ).
But for the mainstream non tech i believe that WP and IOS is the most safe bet next to Blackberry.
Just becaus they have a closed ecosystem ( safe ) and easy to use.

I must say i dont have any troubles with Droid, but i get a little sad when i see in my surroundings people with the most nice techtoys and only use it for the most basic things and when i take a closer look that the most phones are not even propper set up.
And when they have problems.....and you help them, they just look at you with glaze eyes and mumbling ow i didn knew that..
or is that possible????
A OS should be easy for any user, strait forward right out of the box.
People dont want to tweak there phones for hours just to emprove it or get more speed.
Sad if you must turn most features off or lower the settings just to get more performance,
hell i want to use the entire Phone without compromise.

I always grin when i hear the typicall lowbatterysound of my friends Droid's ( and there are a lot of them ) during party's or just a straw in the town.

A good product sells itself.

I use now for almost more than a year WP and during that periode i converted two friends.
MS should make a deal, when you convert more than ten persons you get a free phony ;-)

Android has a larger usertechplatform in Forums, only because there is a lot to do about that stuf.
Think of costumizing, rooting custom or homebrew roms and piracy
thats a whole other audience than here on the WP forums.
Because of that, there is a lot more to write about ( next to that, almost every day there is a new Droid phone on the rack ).
Almost every little kid on the schoolyard has a phone, more then the half is a Droid, others are Ios.
Those kids are the developers of the future, and gues what's the first platform they are going to develop.....
Right, for the platform they know best.

Last time i walked in a library ( a big building full of books you can read....yea real books made from paper )
i saw a rack with a handfull of programming books and guess how many of them where written for Windows or Windowsphone?
Not one.
Make it more exesable for the young, good books not only in english but also in there native language.
And the rest will follow.
Even Apple has there own schools, called Steve Jobs schools.............whel talking about a concept.
Why cant MS do the same, they are already supporting third world countries ( with our politicians we are real soon one to ).
And the sounds about WP in the area of security and privacy are a lot more positive than Droid.
So no, its not realy a anti WP or MS "campaign", it just the way you read them.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Most people only know about WP 7x and 8.
Wait until 8.1 getting mainstream.
They just started, more and more apps are hitting the store.
Look how Android started...........not only how but also with........

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Most "Tech Journalists" are just hipsters that have never used anything but the Apple products.

Ya pretty much, Microsoft bashing is also in vogue. They don't know why they hate Microsoft they just do. We see the same uphill public perception battle faced by the Xbox One while the PS4 is hailed as the next sliced bread (although it's essentially identical to the One minus all the features and capabilities).

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Most people only know about WP 7x and 8.
Wait until 8.1 getting mainstream.
They just started, more and more apps are hitting the store.
Look how Android started...........not only how but also with........

I'm so tired of these "wait until... such and such happens" arguments we're all so happy to use here at WPCentral. However tragically I too am giving MS the final benefit of the doubt until the Cyan firmware update rolls out worldwide. If they don't kick it up a notch after that happens, then the WP market share tailspin will become a nose dive.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Completely my opinion, but the down tick in sales is simply the by product of the complete stall of Nokia products due to the purchase by Microsoft. When WP 8 was announced, there was a line of new products from Nokia and new ones from Samsung and HTC at launch. This time? WP 8.1 was announced and..... well, nada. The first official Nokia's are just getting out there to a few markets and there are no HTC's or Samsung's. In major markets, only the existing WP 8's are still front and center. There are some cheaper devices from other OEM's coming to market, but these are not advertised. While Microsoft was promoting their products and Nokia was pounding the pavement overseas, the sales improved every quarter. It has only been these past 2 quarters during the CEO switch and the transfer of Nokia that sales have stalled. And by the way- I have not seen numbers that say they have declined, only that the growth has stalled.

So- YES, I do think the adds worked. YES, I do think MS is dedicated to WP and will fight to continue to push it. Yes, the adds everyone said were Nokia were actually Microsoft. Yes, I do think we will see 2014 more or less be a throw-away year for WP as now their top OEM is under MS control and there has been very little support through the first 6 months. But I am still bullish on WP's future. WP 8.1 is great, the app support from top end app developers continues to get better (games still need help in a bad, bad way though), and the threshold update (maybe WP9, though who knows) is looking to be an even bigger OS upgrade with more OEM's onboard in early 2015.

All of which is really a rabbit trail off your original thought- Tech sites are all in on Android and iOS. If they do not give WP a chance in their reporting (if it can be called that), then Microsoft will have to do it all on their own. Here is hoping that attitudes change, because I totally agree with you on that. I did not mean to sidetrack your thread.

Bad moderator... bad.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A big problem with a unified message is they don't have the same products on all the carriers, they could make a great ad then say, get the 1520 or 925 & 520 on at&t, the Ativ S & Icon on Verizon, 925 & 521 on T-Mobile, in Europe all 7 phones are available. WTF???? They need one flagship phone on every carrier on the planet, with a massive sustained ad campaign that tells you why to get over an iPhone, galaxy or HTC.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
First of all Blu-Ray itself was just a short term fad that never really caught on, it was killed by instant streaming and video on Demand before it ever gained any traction. As a game disc medium it's also going to be short lived when more and more people are beginning to download their games directly to the console hard drive. The next gen consoles (if they're even called that) will likely not even have disc drives at all with the advances in SSD's. But I digress. This is not a console debate

The Xbox point was just proof that even Microsoft can come in late and against all odds become a contender. The Xbox 360 and Xbox One have stolen millions of what would've been PS3 and PS4 owners from Sony.

Oh man...I don't know what you are drinking,but if you actually believe bluray is was a fad...step away from the bar. Billions and Billions of dollars on them since they came out...and still are doing well. With more and more people interested in the next big thing in video...4k..how do you think they are going to get that content to their big screens? It sure as Hades won't be streaming and quad platter disc can handle the call.

Charters new Spectrum services can't,Comcast has nothing in place,dtv or dish hasn't the bandwidth...so guess what will..

All of the Xbox devices together can't equal what the PlayStations have done,and when they are done with the 4...well you should really read up on it...and I'll leave it at that for now...on second thought..one last thing..read up on Game Stop..for their pre orders on games...if you actually believe your right..and that is just about games too..all the major studios still do well in bluray sales especially since giving digital downloads for free...and while streaming is growing..it won't replace bluray players or disc anytime soon...and done without subscriptions to worry about too...

One last thing really......go to www.the numbers.com and click on total bluray sales for 2014...you will see that bluray is far from dead or just a fad..look at the top 100 and know this...most all of these have digital downloads available and those numbers are strictly for the USA alone....then combine the regular DVD sales since both can be played on the player...Sorry....these players are in just about every household today..and still going strong

Last edited:

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
You invidell...nonbelievers....
Just kidding.
But if the users don't believe in the products they buy than why should they buy it.
Droid is all around us and Ios as a good second.
Why......just walk in to a supermarket and grab some phonetech magazines.
Walk trough a shoppingmall and look trough the windows of techstores.
How many WP phones do you encounter during that straw.............if its ten you had a good day.
Atleast over here.
There is not much choice, people choose what is at hand and what friends have........
The most people don't look at techsites, and there are al lot who don't even now what kind of OS there phone running on.

That can change only by good advertizing, after that...................
Look what MS did when they brought Windows 95 to the market....Now that was advertizing.
But after that, 98, 98SE, ME XP and al those others they almost sell there selfes without advertizing.
Wel not completely, they did a little with XP.

Here is on TV a ongoing stupid TV Show, every housewive looks at it ( i am forced to.... :-/ ) in the beginning of that show the caracters in it used all Apple stuff ( sneaky commercials and sponsored by ).......and guess what.
It worked.
Now ( i believe the last year or two years ) they started to use Samsung stuff........and ofcourse sponsored by the big S.
People identify with those caracters and want the same stuf.
So it sells.
No need for special TV adds nobody watches, just muffle it in a TV show and your all set.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Oh man...I don't know what you are drinking,but if you actually believe bluray is was a fad...step away from the bar. Billions and Billions of dollars on them since they came out...and still are doing well. With more and more people interested in the next big thing in video...4k..how do you think they are going to get that content to their big screens? It sure as Hades won't be streaming and quad platter disc can handle the call.

Charters new Spectrum services can't,Comcast has nothing in place,dtv or dish hasn't the bandwidth...so guess what will..

All of the Xbox devices together can't equal what the PlayStations have done,and when they are done with the 4...well you should really read up on it...and I'll leave it at that for now...on second thought..one last thing..read up on Game Stop..for their pre orders on games...if you actually believe your right..and that is just about games too..all the major studios still do well in bluray sales especially since giving digital downloads for free...and while streaming is growing..it won't replace bluray players or disc anytime soon...and done without subscriptions to worry about too...
Blu-Ray has peaked 2 years ago. With more and more people getting Video On Demand services movies on dics have become obsolete. What happened to Blockbuster???

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Completely my opinion, but the down tick in sales is simply the by product of the complete stall of Nokia products due to the purchase by Microsoft. When WP 8 was announced, there was a line of new products from Nokia and new ones from Samsung and HTC at launch. This time? WP 8.1 was announced and..... well, nada. The first official Nokia's are just getting out there to a few markets and there are no HTC's or Samsung's. In major markets, only the existing WP 8's are still front and center. There are some cheaper devices from other OEM's coming to market, but these are not advertised. While Microsoft was promoting their products and Nokia was pounding the pavement overseas, the sales improved every quarter. It has only been these past 2 quarters during the CEO switch and the transfer of Nokia that sales have stalled. And by the way- I have not seen numbers that say they have declined, only that the growth has stalled.

So- YES, I do think the adds worked. YES, I do think MS is dedicated to WP and will fight to continue to push it. Yes, the adds everyone said were Nokia were actually Microsoft. Yes, I do think we will see 2014 more or less be a throw-away year for WP as now their top OEM is under MS control and there has been very little support through the first 6 months. But I am still bullish on WP's future. WP 8.1 is great, the app support from top end app developers continues to get better (games still need help in a bad, bad way though), and the threshold update (maybe WP9, though who knows) is looking to be an even bigger OS upgrade with more OEM's onboard in early 2015.

All of which is really a rabbit trail off your original thought- Tech sites are all in on Android and iOS. If they do not give WP a chance in their reporting (if it can be called that), then Microsoft will have to do it all on their own. Here is hoping that attitudes change, because I totally agree with you on that. I did not mean to sidetrack your thread.

Bad moderator... bad.
I don't see how you can continue this apologist shin dig much less the sarcastic undertones. Microsoft's market share is a joke in the US, a joke that's eroding as we speak. Why deny the facts? How low does it have to sink before you at least entertain the idea that maybe just maybe Microsoft isn't without any faults especially in regards to Windows Phone. Do we just let it die like Zune and Windows Mobile and then shrug our shoulders? Maybe I'm not quite the apologist yet...Maybe I'm not getting something, is it customary for Microsoft to let things die simply because they have the money to eat the loss and start over? Windows Phone is NOT catching on in the US and the primary reason is the marketing.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Blu-Ray has peaked 2 years ago. With more and more people getting Video On Demand services movies on dics have become obsolete. What happened to Blockbuster???

Bluray hasn't peaked yet,sales are still growing and have always had fluctuations .

On demand is doing better,but,even with it is no substitute for the Quality of the viewing experience of a bluray movie. The beauty of buying the disc now,is being able to utilize the digital downloads and syncing with the cloud...no more spending hours ripping them and decoding them. This is all done for you and the quality is still better because it isn't stepped on in the decoding and is as good as your connection. Also..getting sizable collections to and from a nan or storage can be plugged in to most home networks through the providers routers...

No...bluray players and the disc themselves are going strong and as more people find out how easier it's getting,sales have been picking up again..especially with all the rate hikes many streaming services have been doing....

This 1520 of mine is just chomping at the bit waiting to see what the developers are going to do for it. I was about to jump ship....but now....I think I will give it a few months and see what comes out...

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Bluray hasn't peaked yet,sales are still growing and have always had fluctuations .

On demand is doing better,but,even with it is no substitute for the Quality of the viewing experience of a bluray movie. The beauty of buying the disc now,is being able to utilize the digital downloads and syncing with the cloud...no more spending hours ripping them and decoding them. This is all done for you and the quality is still better because it isn't stepped on in the decoding and is as good as your connection. Also..getting sizable collections to and from a nan or storage can be plugged in to most home networks through the providers routers...

No...bluray players and the disc themselves are going strong and as more people find out how easier it's getting,sales have been picking up again..especially with all the rate hikes many streaming services have been doing....

This 1520 of mine is just chomping at the bit waiting to see what the developers are going to do for it. I was about to jump ship....but now....I think I will give it a few months and see what comes out...

Discs in general are past the growth and maturity stage in the market. Everyone streams their media and/or saves it to local hard drives these days. Netflix, Hulu, Redbox instant are all examples of this growing trend and shift in the way media is consumed and why Apple TV, ChromeCast and Amazon TV are making a push into the market. Discs are fragile and they take up alot of space once your library grows. The trends show more and more people just streaming video, music and games directly to their hard drives.

As for your 1520 I'm saying the reason us WP users have to kick and scream for official apps and beg for support and updates is because of our minuscule market share. Until MSFT can coax more people to WP Devs won't be throwing us many bones without a fight.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
What happened to Blockbuster???

I felt that this needed a separate answer...so here is why.

Many reports at the end of a era of Blockbuster stated that on demand was the culprit,but in reality that was the final straw that broke it's back.

The main reason was Dish Network never infused the chains with needed capital,and cheaper DVD rental kiosks like Red Box where proliferating across the country...heck they were /are in McDonald's and Walgreens...$2.00-$3.00 for a current title as opposed to $8.00-$9.00 at Blockbusters if they had any in stock.

Dish promised better titles more disc..but..they wanted the competition to go away for the big stake..and they had new satellites going up soon as well...so...they allowed the line to die...to be able to compete with Direct..

So....it's not just because the disc were a fad..(they aren't) but because of several reasons

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I felt that this needed a separate answer...so here is why.

Many reports at the end of a era of Blockbuster stated that on demand was the culprit,but in reality that was the final straw that broke it's back.

The main reason was Dish Network never infused the chains with needed capital,and cheaper DVD rental kiosks like Red Box where proliferating across the country...heck they were /are in McDonald's and Walgreens...$2.00-$3.00 for a current title as opposed to $8.00-$9.00 at Blockbusters if they had any in stock.

Dish promised better titles more disc..but..they wanted the competition to go away for the big stake..and they had new satellites going up soon as well...so...they allowed the line to die...to be able to compete with Direct..

So....it's not just because the disc were a fad..(they aren't) but because of several reasons

Discs are just obsolete not a fad per se. I can stream full HD video without having to worry about any dics getting lost, stolen, scratched or broken. Same thing happened with my music CD collections when the iPod came out.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Discs are just obsolete not a fad per se. I can stream full HD video without having to worry about any dics getting lost, stolen, scratched or broken. Same thing happened with my music CD collections when the iPod came out.

Disc aren't obsolete and you can't stream full non compressed HD..and if you think you can,you need to get your eyes checked....👀

As to the iPod mp3 quality is so far removed from what is available on disc it's sickening..Take any iPod and a old Sony Walkman cd player with a Quality set of ear phones and listen....and if you can't hear a difference after getting your eyes 👀 checked call to get your ears checked too.....

Blu3V3nom07

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
This time next year, Threshold will be the talk of the town. At this point, I think we need a new W-OS to talk about, not just new phones.
Sony is supposed to have some WP's coming up, as well as HTC, LG, and Lenovo. But ah, sure.
Its gonna be so hard for me to keep friends with my jerk-roommate as I watch the IPhone 6 launch right around the corner. To wait until the Nokia-McLaren launch, is just gonna be me with this face -_- for about 5 months.. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb