Anti-Windows Phone Sentiment Strong Among Tech Journalists

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
You're obviously not satisfied, so switch... Good luck!!!!
we are obviously losing customers than gaining.....what would really happen to WP if all who were not satisfied would just switch? Lets me guess WP would end up like bb.....even less dev support etc,etc! So sure lets just tell every one to just switch! You though market share was bad now imagine mass exodus!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry guys but numbers show WP is fading away in markets they needed growth ! What's wrong.....everything is wrong everyone here is right and as much as I like WP ......numbers show that although some feel like there's enough either ads or presences in the us .....there's not ....obviously! Unfortunately for WP numbers don't lie they may not be 100% but there pretty close . And now with theses stats .....no one can say different! I'll ride WP till its done but I can't expect anything from WP if it comes cool if not I knew it was coming. If things change ( which the way things are going it won't) they change if not oh well we tried. Everytime someone leaves WP it becomes that closer till the end......no users no devs no devs no users on and on and on it was fun though!

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Android market share had zero growth as of late just like WP. Hardly any news on that though....

MS must end carrier exclusives.
MS must market better. Good ads are few and far between. They must show why WP is at least as capable as other platforms.
MS must educate the carriers. Salespeople are personally too into their iOS/Android and steer people away from WP.
MS must QA/QC better. It's ridiculous that an update happens on day X, only to get a patch two days later to fix something. I think it's time for Belfiore to step aside.
MS must continue to improve developer relations for app development.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft's problem is timing and market execution.

Back in the WP7 days it was Nokia that pushed Microsoft to begin catering to the low-end and Asian markets, but besides a few changes (albeit critical ones) such as reducing the minimum RAM requirement to 256MB, Microsoft was dragging its feet. In reality, that low-end market was truly where Android (at the time) was seeing a lot of growth, and had Windows Phone been present at those price points back then, it might have been able to carve out a significant area of the market.

So when the Lumia 520 turned out to be a relative hit, Microsoft was caught by surprise ... But anyone not under what I call the "Microsoft-logic" would have seen the low-end device being a hit from a mile away, but the technology still hadn't caught up, we began seeing dual-SIM in Windows Phone 8.1!

The problem as of late (or rather for the past year) was the lack of a compelling mid-range phone that was both good enough and affordable enough for many people around the world. We have yet to see such a Windows Phone device (that is available to most markets and available today).

For some bizarre reason it seems as though Microsoft split the equation into two polar diametrically opposite ends, the ultra low-end and the ultra high-end. As a result they're missing out on the growth that sits in the middle, the area where you need the $299-399 devices with good specs (i.e. S400 or S600 CPU, 1GB RAM, 720p screen, LTE, good camera).

The Android makers began exploiting that market 6-8 months ago, all of them. Had Microsoft and Nokia beat them to the mid-end as they did with the low-end (i.e. Lumia 520, which had more RAM at the time than similarly priced Xperias and Galaxys), they might have seen sharp growth in not only the user base, but also ASPs.

It is the same problem with their tablets and laptops. Instead of positioning Windows RT as the OS for low-end and super cheap laptops and tablets, Microsoft presented it as this expensive iPad competitor. However, Windows RT was and still is the ideal platform to directly counter Chrome OS and Chromebook, but ... Microsoft is being Microsoft.

It's the same joke with the living room. Microsoft should have pushed a cheaper $100-150 Xbox device in tandem with the Xbox One, but presented the cheaper one as the device for everyone. In addition to the TV integration and maybe even Kinect, they could have kept said Xbox Lite as a future device facilitating cloud gaming. But in truth it is Sony that's pushing on that very front with their PS Vita TV.

The most hilarious part of this is how the PS4 can stream games to the PS Vita TV... Given how the Xbox One is also a TV and general entertainment device, you'd think the hardcore gaming in the home would benefit from being able to play their X1 games on another screen, such as their tablet or PC? NOPE according to Microsoft...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm so tired of these "wait until... such and such happens" arguments we're all so happy to use here at WPCentral. However tragically I too am giving MS the final benefit of the doubt until the Cyan firmware update rolls out worldwide. If they don't kick it up a notch after that happens, then the WP market share tailspin will become a nose dive.
If we are talking about advertising in the US, what is there to advertise? The most recent devices are the 1520, Icon and ATIV SE. The 1520 is from last fall, and the Icon is from February 2014; both are carrier exclusives in the US. The 1520 is also a niche product due to its size. The ATIV SE is from an OEM (Samsung), so it would be Samsung's job to advertise it, not Microsoft's.

I don't expect to see advertising in the US until new products are introduced that aren't: niche products or carrier exclusives.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has some brilliant engineers and plenty of good technical people, but they're severely lacking on the business development, marketing and 'grand strategy' front. You can even see it in their retail stores, the spirit's lacking...

Maybe Microsoft should take a page from Google and Apple and actually start hiring Microsoft fanboys to manage the business front? In other words, get people who love using your products and services to face consumers and deal with the market?

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Disc aren't obsolete and you can't stream full non compressed HD..and if you think you can,you need to get your eyes checked....��

As to the iPod mp3 quality is so far removed from what is available on disc it's sickening..Take any iPod and a old Sony Walkman cd player with a Quality set of ear phones and listen....and if you can't hear a difference after getting your eyes �� checked call to get your ears checked too.....
You can download 1080p resolution video to a local hard drive however, which is still preferable to hundreds of different discs

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
If we are talking about advertising in the US, what is there to advertise? The most recent devices are the 1520, Icon and ATIV SE. The 1520 is from last fall, and the Icon is from February 2014; both are carrier exclusives in the US. The 1520 is also a niche product due to its size. The ATIV SE is from an OEM (Samsung), so it would be Samsung's job to advertise it, not Microsoft's.

I don't expect to see advertising in the US until new products are introduced that aren't: niche products or carrier exclusives.
Apple is still marketing the 5S and 5C and Samsung was marketing the hell out of the S4 right up to the day the S5 came out, the phone advertising job is much more than just a few weeks after launch. Ultra competitive markets require loads of advertising otherwise the line charts begin to go in the wrong direction.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Android market share had zero growth as of late just like WP. Hardly any news on that though....

Android not seeing growth is of less concern obviously because they own 75% of the global smartphone market share, it's also not equivalent as Windows Phone's problem is not stagnation but rather a decline in their market share which is a big red flag. If Windows Phone itself were a publicly traded company shareholders would be in all out sell mode right now. We cannot continue to deny or ignore the problems Windows Phone is facing in the US. Something needs to be done or changed and that something is not denial and excuse making. We're not Microsoft employees we can actually be objective and critique when necessary and praise when earned.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Apple is still marketing the 5S and 5C and Samsung was marketing the hell out of the S4 right up to the day the S5 came out, the phone advertising job is much more than just a few weeks after launch. Ultra competitive markets require loads of advertising otherwise the line charts begin to go in the wrong direction.

None of those devices are carrier exclusives though, nor are the niche products.

Advertising is also not going to help if there are no compelling products available to a particular customer. I have AT&T, and I'm eligible for an upgrade. However, the 1520 is not for me due to its size. The Icon is not for me, since I have AT&T, not Verizon (and I have no intentions of switching to Verizon). I'm waiting for a successor to the 920 (McLaren, which will be out this fall). Many consumers will hold on to their upgrades until there is something they like.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
in India they have a pretty good ad. they show swipe keyboard, offline map support . Do More Faster with the Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM - YouTube

I'm not at all worried about Windows Phone in India, the WP adoption rate and market share growth is impressive in India no doubt. The problem for WP is the flagship oriented US market, and if Microsoft fails to gain traction in the US then major app support from devs will always suffer. Windows Phone needs the US market primarily for better and larger app developer support.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
@Laura
Do you remember the days that the first iPhone was an AT&T exclusive? Apple was up against a juggernaut in Blackberry that had a diverse smartphone product portfolio across all major networks in the US. Yet Apple dumped tremendous amounts of advertising money into the iPhone to educate the millions of Blackberry and dumb phone users on the iPhone. The rest is history.
Or you can even look to the genesis of Android primarily at Verizon and the huge I mean colossal advertising campaign that Google ran to brand the new "Droid" phone. Remember the "Droid does" onslaught?

Last edited:

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Aright... I am a freelance content writer and I need to write articles for some tech sites...I mostly concentrate of promoting Windows (by pretending that I am not a Windows fan, I stay pretty unbiased) unlike most other sites...but, oh man...when an article gets published, you gotta see the hatred from Android and iOS fans...

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
we are obviously losing customers than gaining.....what would really happen to WP if all who were not satisfied would just switch? Lets me guess WP would end up like bb.....even less dev support etc,etc! So sure lets just tell every one to just switch! You though market share was bad now imagine mass exodus!

Exactly! It's very arrogant and asinine of people to tell other Windows Phone users to simply just leave Windows Phone. Talk about pouring gasoline on to a fire.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
@Laura
Do you remember the days that the first iPhone was an AT&T exclusive? Apple was up against a juggernaut in Blackberry that had a diverse smartphone product portfolio across all major networks in the US. Yet Apple dumped tremendous amounts of advertising money into the iPhone to educate the millions of Blackberry and dumb phone users on the iPhone. The rest is history.
Or you can even look to the genesis of Android primarily at Verizon and the huge I mean colossal advertising campaign that Google ran to brand the new "Droid" phone. Remember the "Droid does" onslaught?

I also remember all the "call failed" issues with many people who switched to AT&T for the original iPhone.

The Android ads for Verizon succeeded, since the OG Droid was a worthy device for Verizon users who wanted an iPhone but didn't want AT&T. T-Mobile had the first Android devices, but T-Mobile also had a terrible network at the time (worse than that of AT&T).

As for BlackBerry, they had the Storm and Storm 2 as Verizon exclusives, but both of those were buggy, glitchy devices that drove more Verizon customers to Android than anything else.

Carrier exclusives no longer work here in the US, since most people are not going to switch carriers for a device.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
You can download 1080p resolution video to local nard drives however which is still preferable to hundreds of different discs

According to who?

Go on any home theater forum and ask about it. You'll get laughed off of it the minute you ask.

Your streamed compressed Hd content is full of artifacts and looks crappy on most Quality screens,unless you are the type who runs their display in torch mode....or on some budget tv that is not been calibrated.

You see..you really don't know what you are discussing here....There are quite a few good folks here in the USA that have invested a ton of money into our home systems and actually know the difference between a good picture and a crappy one,same for audio and the difference between them as well...and there are some of us who would like to use something besides a iPhone or iPad in our systems,but can't because of the issues myself and others have complained about....

I would love to see WP exceed in this market,but know that unless things really change,it won't....there is a glimmer of hope left..just a glimmer now that the music app developers are Ina better place to go forward,but it has a long way to go.

Have you ever wondered why Direct..Dish..Comcast..Charter..don't have apps on WP? It's not because of market share...this I know....that's just a easy answer..it's about the way video and audio are done on WP......and until that aspect changes...the real audio and video techies won't get behind it..and brother..that is where the real money is....💵

Why eelse would Apple be courting the Studios and record labels as the have been all these years.....sure you can stream from iTunes...over 2billion downloads and climbing..but there is another reason as well...they never once forced any music lover or video liver to suffer through what us WP folks have had to ....and have always provided a way for those of us who are into high fidelity and HD to watch and listen and store our collection...something Microsoft hasn't tried to exploit...we've gotten a game console........sad

As to all the rest...have a good 4th of July...where ever you are 😊

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss