Anti-Windows Phone Sentiment Strong Among Tech Journalists

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I think Windows Phone needs a leadership change. Joe Belfiore doesn't get it. He's had his chance and all he's done is achieve stagnant growth (at best), destroyed the few advantages WP had over iOS and Android (e.g. Xbox gaming), and done nothing to solve the biggest problems Windows Phone faces: it's not prevalent (you walk into a Best Buy and you'll see 4 dozen Androids on display and maybe, maybe 1 Windows Phone; most smaller networks don't even have WP on them at all).

Well Joe is a great tech guy he's just a terrible marketing guy, Microsoft just needs a better spokesperson and leave Joe to the technical leadership behind the curtains. He just seems too passive as well, like he's constantly talked over in meetings. He needs to be lobbying Satya Nadella for more Windows Phone ad campaigning, heck Microsoft rakes in close to $2 billion just off of patents that Android uses. Wouldn't it be something if Microsoft used some of that Android patent royalty money put towards pushing Windows Phone? Android essentially would be indirectly funding Windows Phone marketing.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Early on when Android was the new rising OS, Google advertised the hell out of it. They ran a massive and extensive "Droid does" campaign. Remember "Droid does"? Quite an effective campaign considering the way their market share grew steadily as that campaign ran.
I remember Droid from the early days of android. Nice point, but I remember it being about the hardware and Verizon, which didn't have iPhones. The market at that time was iPhone on AT&T, blackberry, and Verizon looking for enough of a clone that they could push. Remember the thunderbolt? After "Droid does", what else was there other than the "power" of the hardware. Early android was an alternative to iPhone that had to catch up, had better hardware (and needed it), and the support of Verizon in the ads. I remember the first ads for WP7. I remember them trying to sell the OS, but not necessarily a distinctive phone. @ Chregu - iOS is the target if you look at next level market penetration. WP can present a solid distinctive OS like iOS with different hardware delivery like Android. A true pocket PC with a complete ecosystem when they complete their one screen vision. iPhones are higher end for now, but that also caps their audience.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Half of the issues are bad marketing...

E.g. cameras: Samsung S5 advert only about the camera basically says: Twice the megapixels than an iPhone, you will take better photos. Nokia advert: You can sit at the back of a hall and take a photo.

Yes, the Nokia was a funny advert, but sometimes you have to spell out the basics in the most simple and obvious way. And the Nokia has the better camera, yet watching TV you'd think a Samsung did.

Likewise they missed on wireless charging. Family Room. Trivial sharing photos via SkyDrive (PC/Xbox). Focus on neat exclusive features. One ad per feature.

Back on topic, yes, there are a lot of anti-Microsoft reporters. PCWorld especially annoys me. X is crap because it's not an iZZZ. Too many biased reporters. Did Apple buy them all free Macs for life?

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has never been good at marketing to consumers. Over the years (including what Sir William calls the evil empire days), Microsoft has led the pack with innovation but abandons products for which there is not already an established market. They suck at educating consumers about how a new or better product can benefit them.

For example:
Microsoft Office - introduced in 1989 (RTM 1990), the suite was the first of its kind. Before that, people used Werdpurfekt, Lotus 1-2-3, Harvard Graphics and dBase I, II, III, IV, V, etc. Those apps all had different menu layouts, different keyboard shortcuts (critical in DOS days), and ZERO plans to enable OLE. But the reason Microsoft Office became the de facto standard had nothing to do with the superiority of the product, the unified interface scheme, or the roadmap regarding future OLE functionality. Most worker bees and managers opposed adopting Word and PowerPoint over Werdpurfekt and Harvard Graphics. It was the bean counters that forced them to do it. The accounting departments and finance geeks wanted Excel and bundling it with counterparts to the industry leading apps was a brief glimmer of marketing genius.

Products that could have succeeded but didn't:
MS Reader - back when the notion of separating content from format was still the stuff of student discussion groups and people who understand hex code, Microsoft Research Lab offered up MS Reader to display e-books. The problem was there were no e-books. The few titles they could offer in their library were those snagged from public domain titles provided in text-only format by Project Gutenberg. Oh, and there were no e-reader devices, so early adopters could only read e-books while perched in front of their computer monitors. Good times. Microsoft orphaned MS Reader long before there was cloud storage and handhelds that could have made the .lit format an industry standard.

Microsoft Money - sometimes it's little things that make one product better than another. Money was much more intuitive-to-use than the industry leader Quicken. Little things like having it format a contact phone number for you or AutoComplete a field as you begin to type. And sometimes it's big things like small business users of QuickBooks trusting Intuit when choosing their personal finance tools.

At the end of the day, Microsoft management is very selective about where they put R&D and marketing dollars. It seems if they can't have a majority market share, they surrender the field. And that is what I fear might happen to Windows Phone. My hope for the future of this superior product is that Microsoft is so heavily invested, they won't walk away.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait hold it right there, why exactly is their a lack of apps on Windows Phone?
The consumer/tech journalists does not care why their are a lack of apps for Windows Phone.
Oh yea it's because app developers aren't interested in developing for such a small user base.
Outside of Google apps, you're right. But everyone with 200+ posts in this forum on know that. So, why bring this up?
Why is our user base so small?Terrible marketing by Microsoft
Wrong, Marketing is not why tech journalist bash Windows Phones, why is our user base so small, nor the reason for consumers choose Iphone or Android phone over a Windows Phone.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
This was written in 2010, but it's an excellent read.

Microsoft's creative destruction: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/04/opinion/04brass.html?th=&emc=th&pagewanted=all&_r=1&

That article even though written in 2010,is still valid and from what can be seen,is still the way it is there.

This is why I have said before unless they get rid of the current management it never will change.

Personally,I don't think it will change,they don't have anyone who will root out those who hold the mobile division back for fear of losing on their bread and butter division.

You can't have complete integration when the department heads are sabotaging others efforts to succeed...and one of the main reasons we see certain software run better and go to other platforms first...and folks wonder why WP is in a dismal 3rd place and loosing..

Unless they turn things around and decide to make WP their main priority not other platforms, I'm afraid WP is doomed in the long run.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The consumer/tech journalists does not care why their are a lack of apps for Windows Phone.
Outside of Google apps, you're right. But everyone with 200+ posts in this forum on know that. So, why bring this up?

Wrong, Marketing is not why tech journalist bash Windows Phones, why is our user base so small, nor the reason for consumers choose Iphone or Android phone over a Windows Phone.
Okay then care to share your hypothesis as to why Windows Phone's user base is not only small but shrinking in the US? If it's not poor advertising then what is it?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Okay then care to share your hypothesis as to why Windows Phone's user base is not only small but shrinking in the US? If it's not poor advertising then what is it?

My guesses: Except of the Nokia cameras nothing exciting on the hardware front since release of Windows Phone. Even if many of the things high-end Android devices have to offer is gimmicky, it's at least something to talk about and they have alway featured better specs. Except of Nokia no serious hardware partners left and limited releases (carrier-bound phones). The app gap which might be not as big as it was anymore, but is still stuck in the minds of people. As it is still existing however it's hard to change this negative in people's minds. According to what people say in this forums: Sells persons who recommend other phones.

What could be an issue: People that bought devices like a Lumia 900 and learned a few weeks later that it won't be updated to Windows Phone 8 and new apps won't work on it felt probably pretty burned and avoided buying another Windows Phone when they contracts ended after two years.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
There are multiple reasons why WP is failing,some have been reported on this forum by people that really know.

Microsoft hosing over the OEM partners,Microsoft hosing over the customer base,Microsoft management hosing over each other....can anyone understand why the average person who wants a new phone doesn't trust Microsoft?

Until they can fix what is wrong with themselves,the public won't believe in them...

Marketing reflects what a company wants to show....and there is nothing to see with their marketing strategies....people have to believe in a company before they believe in their products.

Microsoft has hosed it's customer base....they are their own worst enemy.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Early on when Android was the new rising OS, Google advertised the hell out of it. They ran a massive and extensive "Droid does" campaign. Remember "Droid does"? Quite an effective campaign considering the way their market share grew steadily as that campaign ran.

DROID won because of Samsung campaign. That's the case in India.Sammy please make windows phone popular.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

ScottGeek

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Another thing I don't like about Chris Pirillo is that in his videos he talks and goes off on so many different irrelevant tangents and turns 5 minute reviews into 20-25 minute rants with a small review in between. He's usually quite fair and objective with his tech opinions but he's been quite the jerk with Windows Phone and the Surface Pro 3 lately, I don't know why. I stopped watching him though he simply wastes too much time.

I think if Chris could figure out that the "middle 5 minute" part is where he's the strongest, then he could get closer to the caliber of a Paul Thurrott. Chris does have the potential because he is smart, but smart and scattered...ya it's hard to follow. But sadly, Chris has been this way since the old days of TechTV.

~ScottGeek.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
While advertising is very important, the product advertised must also perform.

They performed have they not? The Nokia Lumia 920 won a bunch of critical acclaim at the time it came out. The 1020, 1520 and Icon/930 all were scoring high in non biased reviews. Engadget and CNET had nothing but praise for the flagship Nokia devices, it was the "app gap" issue that kept most of them from recommending them to their iOS & Android audience. Then of course there's other reviewers like the ones in my OP that clearly just can't stomach Microsoft products.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
DROID won because of Samsung campaign. That's the case in India.Sammy please make windows phone popular.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
See the consumers don't know the technical and formal semantics. To them Android and DROID are interchangeable whether the commercial was for a Motorola or Samsung phone it didn't matter because either way the Android platform was getting exposure that familiarized the consumer with Android.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
My guesses: Except of the Nokia cameras nothing exciting on the hardware front since release of Windows Phone. Even if many of the things high-end Android devices have to offer is gimmicky, it's at least something to talk about and they have alway featured better specs. Except of Nokia no serious hardware partners left and limited releases (carrier-bound phones). The app gap which might be not as big as it was anymore, but is still stuck in the minds of people. As it is still existing however it's hard to change this negative in people's minds. According to what people say in this forums: Sells persons who recommend other phones.

What could be an issue: People that bought devices like a Lumia 900 and learned a few weeks later that it won't be updated to Windows Phone 8 and new apps won't work on it felt probably pretty burned and avoided buying another Windows Phone when they contracts ended after two years.

I agree and disagree, before Nokia became a subsidiary of MSFT they were actually pushing their phones. Windows Phone saw steady growth in the US and Europe (albeit slow) each quarter of each year they adopted WP as their OS. The OS itself was a differentiation from the competition, plus the colorful tiles went nice with their colorful phones. They had things like built in Qi wireless charging (can't think of many Android phones that have that) the camera tech and the color selection. You think those are trivial but they're not, people love how my Icon can sit on a plate and charge and they're perplexed why their iPhone or Galaxy can't. They also love my friends yellow Lumia 1020 alot of people get bored with just black or white. Hence the reason Apple brought out the 5C some suggest they did that out of concern in European markets by the growth in colorful Lumia phone sales.

I digress, point in WP grew in market share when Nokia was actually advertising. After the MSFT purchase, WP ads disappeared for the most part. Especially in the US and that's why they're slipping here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss