Anti-Windows Phone Sentiment Strong Among Tech Journalists

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The amount of ANdroid/Apple ****** "tech journalists" disgusts me. I wouldnt be surprised if half of them have never held a windows phone in their hands.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
yes and we have whatsapp to fill in for imessage,

Every single iOS user uses iMessage daily WhatsApp isn't exactly the same only a portion use WhatsApp on iPhone. iMessage threads are almost like a Apple fraternity right (I used to be an iOS user before WP8). I'm just saying an iMessage app to WP8/W8 would be a good trade for a Cortana app on iOS. Anything else makes little sense especially to Android when Google refuses to give WP YouTube and Gmail apps.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The amount of ANdroid/Apple ****** "tech journalists" disgusts me. I wouldnt be surprised if half of them have never held a windows phone in their hands.
The Android ones believe it or not have gotten much worse than the dreaded iSheep heck it's gotten so bad Steve Wozniak once made a pitch for Apple to use Android in the iPhone. Google controls so much media and info flow on the web it's scary. A Google monopoly is the last thing we need.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Satya Nadella Probably Owns An iPhone

Yes I know 930 is coming but when did 925 come and when is 930 coming and its not going to be affordable for atleast 6months of the launch. we actually need atleast 2-3 mid rangers, a worthy successor for L720 is lonnnnnnnnnngg pending

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yes I know 930 is coming but when did 925 come and when is 930 coming and its not going to be affordable for atleast 6months of the launch. we actually need atleast 2-3 mid rangers, a worthy successor for L720 is lonnnnnnnnnngg pending

You mentioned a high end device in your previous post. The 930 is a high end device and not a niche product due to size.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

and they seem to come close to making a phone in each price bucket perfect and then miss that one thing, like 630 not having front cam and 720 not having 1gb ram, they should have launched 2 phones at the same time 720 with 520 mb ram and at same time a 720 with 1gb ram, charge the extra cost to customers but atleast put it in market.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

You mentioned a high end device in your previous post. The 930 is a high end device and not a niche product due to size.
Yes, I know, 930 is the kind of device I referred to, but what I'm trying to say is look at the gap after 520, 720, 625 and 925. they have 525 sometime back, 630 last month and 930 coming soon, they should be faster with product launches, thats the only way they can catchup with samsung. and you dont need time for any research etc , even as the R&D team is working on the next big thing, you can relaunch existing models with better internals,thts wat samsung has been doing tht isnt it?

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

and the pricing strategy of Nokia traditionally in India has been to launch at a certain price and then drop it soon in couple of months, so ppl are always skeptical, they want to wait to see the price drop.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I know, 930 is the kind of device I referred to, but what I'm trying to say is look at the gap after 520, 720, 625 and 925. they have 525 sometime back, 630 last month and 930 coming soon, they should be faster with product launches, thats the only way they can catchup with samsung. and you dont need time for any research etc , even as the R&D team is working on the next big thing, you can relaunch existing models with better internals,thts wat samsung has been doing tht isnt it?

That makes sense.

However, the 925 was available in June 2013 (which countries, I'm not sure), and the 930 is already available in some countries.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 was available in April 2013, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 was available in April 2014 (which countries, I'm not sure).

There isn't much difference (around 1 year) for the new device release for both the 925/930 and S4/S5.

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

That makes sense.

However, the 925 was available in June 2013 (which countries, I'm not sure), and the 930 is already available in some countries.

The Samsung Galaxy S4 was available in April 2013, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 was available in April 2014 (which countries, I'm not sure).

There isn't much difference (around 1 year) for the new device release for both the 925/930 and S4/S5.

Yes samsung is launching 1 flagship per year but they have lots of Neos and 2s and minis in between, I remember the good old days of Nokia when they had atleast 2-3 phones in each price bracket, samsung used same strategy n won

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I manage to convince ppl tht app gap is not tht much n they shd try WP then they say hey ur 720 is long there in market n its 512, when is the new one coming we ll consider it. but then there's no 720 with 1 gb ram n next is directly 925 nothing in between, we have atleast 5-6 models on samsung in the same price gap

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
How does MS actually create a marketing campaign to "sell" WP8.1 not WP but WP8.1 to the public with features that were around for some time on both IOS and Android? Had MS properly done their work right now the only thing that they should be announcing should be Cortana and this 3D Touch update to the WP OS. The features we're getting now would be to those who don't own a WP would have them asking " and why would I change from what I already have on this device to another with the same features but with less APPS"

C

Craigtrain

Microsoft needs a competitor to the Moto G and E, badly. The progress Nokia made in markets like India is being reversed solely because of these 2 devices.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Okay then care to share your hypothesis as to why Windows Phone's user base is not only small but shrinking in the US? If it's not poor advertising then what is it?

Sure, To be clean, I am not saying advertising is not needed.

THE PROBLEM: Windows Phone tiny market share is disintegrating in the United States.

SYMPTOMS OF THE PROBLEMS:
-Subtracting key features & superior hardware from premium flagships(Glance screen from the Icon, removing memory & built-in Wireless changing in the 1520 & 925, putting 720p screens into the 920,925,1020, when 1080p was the standard at the time, and placing outdated hardware besides the camera tech into the 1020 & 920),
-Lack of support in carrier stores(At&t, Verizon, & T-mobile).
-Lack of quality marketing.
-little to no support nor positive recognition among the popular youtubers, Iphone/Android fanboys, hardcore tech buffs(besides WPC) & tech journalists.
-Missing hot apps/games from iOS and Android.
-Microsoft Employees(outside the WP division) using Iphones.
-Lack of Public awareness of Windows Phone.

CONSEQUENCE OF PROBLEMS:
-Overwhelming amount of WP hate.
-dwindling small user base.
-Poor apps support of current apps/lack of updates.
-Terrible coded MICROSOFT APPS.

CAUSES OF PROBLEM:
1.Not Taking WP seriously.
2.Lack of Apps.
3.Lack of unity & cohesiveness within Microsoft.
4.Exclusive phones to carriers.

POTENTIAL SOLUTION: Start taking WP seriously by ending exclusive phones to carriers. Placing the top of the line hardware into the flagship phones. Create phones to compete with the Galaxy Note, Iphone, Moto X, G, E And Nexus spec to spec, yearly. Figure out a way to get more app developers on aboard. Demand other divisions to get on the same page to make better quality Microsoft apps. Start building more Microsoft stores, preferably in the same neighborhood/streets that the apple store is on(Hey, if burger king and Wendy's do it to McDonald's. Why cannot Microsoft do the same to Apple?). Oh yeah, Microsoft, listen to the fans.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The major stockholders only care about the bottom line...and until they care ....nothing is going to change.

Without having a CEO that wants the WP to succeed and makes a real effort to ensure that it does,we will always have a 3rd position in the platforms

You can't have all the in-fighting they have with each department fighting for the funding and sabotaging others efforts or purposely delaying the needed software which they have.

I firmly believe that my 1520 can compete against all of the phones out there if it had the right firmware updates and software (apps) everyone else has.

As a result of the management team of Microsoft it is nothing but unused potential that will go to waste,and eventually dropped.

This is why I have a love ❤ / hate relationship with my phone...and until Microsoft understands will be my last one.

I'm sorry.....I just don't have faith in the management to believe that they truly want the phone division to succeed......so much potential...so little commitment

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Sure, To be clean, I am not saying advertising is not needed.

THE PROBLEM: Windows Phone tiny market share is disintegrating in the United States.

SYMPTOMS OF THE PROBLEMS:
-Subtracting key features & superior hardware from premium flagships(Glance screen from the Icon, removing memory & built-in Wireless changing in the 1520 & 925, putting 720p screens into the 920,925,1020, when 1080p was the standard at the time, and placing outdated hardware besides the camera tech into the 1020 & 920),
-Lack of support in carrier stores(At&t, Verizon, & T-mobile).
-Lack of quality marketing.
-little to no support nor positive recognition among the popular youtubers, Iphone/Android fanboys, hardcore tech buffs(besides WPC) & tech journalists.
-Missing hot apps/games from iOS and Android.
-Microsoft Employees(outside the WP division) using Iphones.
-Lack of Public awareness of Windows Phone.

CONSEQUENCE OF PROBLEMS:
-Overwhelming amount of WP hate.
-dwindling small user base.
-Poor apps support of current apps/lack of updates.
-Terrible coded MICROSOFT APPS.

CAUSES OF PROBLEM:
1.Not Taking WP seriously.
2.Lack of Apps.
3.Lack of unity & cohesiveness within Microsoft.
4.Exclusive phones to carriers.

POTENTIAL SOLUTION: Start taking WP seriously by ending exclusive phones to carriers. Placing the top of the line hardware into the flagship phones. Create phones to compete with the Galaxy Note, Iphone, Moto X, G, E And Nexus spec to spec, yearly. Figure out a way to get more app developers on aboard. Demand other divisions to get on the same page to make better quality Microsoft apps. Start building more Microsoft stores, preferably in the same neighborhood/streets that the apple store is on(Hey, if burger king and Wendy's do it to McDonald's. Why cannot Microsoft do the same to Apple?). Oh yeah, Microsoft, listen to the fans.
The only problems I can agree with is the marketing and the carrier exclusives. The other problems listed most definitely are problems no doubt but not problems that are hurting WP's market share.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
How does MS actually create a marketing campaign to "sell" WP8.1 not WP but WP8.1 to the public with features that were around for some time on both IOS and Android? Had MS properly done their work right now the only thing that they should be announcing should be Cortana and this 3D Touch update to the WP OS. The features we're getting now would be to those who don't own a WP would have them asking " and why would I change from what I already have on this device to another with the same features but with less APPS"
They should market WP as a fresh new alternative to iOS and Android. We highly over estimate the numbers of smartphone users that feel they need an app for absolutely everything. I read some tech report in 2012 that said the average number of apps on a smartphone were around 50. The people with hundreds and hundreds of apps downloaded and saved to their phone is actually a minority. WP addresses everything the mainstream smartphone users needs a smartphone to do. MSFT needs to continue to push that fact, because WP can only get more and more app support by getting more and more users.

Users come before apps, otherwise Amazon would already have developers writing hundreds of thousands of apps for their phone that's not out yet. Reality is though that those devs will wait to see how many people adopt and use the new Amazon phone before they put in the effort to make an app for the platform.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
The major stockholders only care about the bottom line...and until they care ....nothing is going to change.

Without having a CEO that wants the WP to succeed and makes a real effort to ensure that it does,we will always have a 3rd position in the platforms

You can't have all the in-fighting they have with each department fighting for the funding and sabotaging others efforts or purposely delaying the needed software which they have.

I firmly believe that my 1520 can compete against all of the phones out there if it had the right firmware updates and software (apps) everyone else has.

As a result of the management team of Microsoft it is nothing but unused potential that will go to waste,and eventually dropped.

This is why I have a love ❤ / hate relationship with my phone...and until Microsoft understands will be my last one.

I'm sorry.....I just don't have faith in the management to believe that they truly want the phone division to succeed......so much potential...so little commitment

The shareholders caring only about the bottom-line in retrospect is exactly what is going wrong after the Microsoft purchase of Nokia. Before Nokia was bought out, they had to work to sell phones to survive and they were. WP grew most when Nokia was innovating and pushing their Lumia phones. Once MSFT took over the bills, Nokia became guaranteed to be paid and Nokia lost that sense of urgency businesses with much less money than MSFT have. Nokia's bills are now paid whether they sell 10 or 10 million phones a month, there's no urgency to sell phones at Microsoft because Microsoft is not a phone company like Nokia was.

Nokia sold phones because that was their MO that was what they have been doing since the early ages of mobile phones, Microsoft is not a mobile phone company they're a software company, and this software company knows how to sell software not phones. Microsoft should have just offered a low interest loan to Nokia with the caveat being that Nokia only make phones for the WP platform. This way Nokia would have more money to innovate, conduct R&D and market all while still needing to sell phones each month to stay alive to pay off their operational expenses.

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Microsoft needs a competitor to the Moto G and E, badly. The progress Nokia made in markets like India is being reversed solely because of these 2 devices.

Agreed, Nokia also needs a phone to compete with that Droid phone that has that really long battery life. I want them to make a 1520 variant with a smaller camera (8.7 mp from 920/925/928) and in place put a larger capacity battery. Something like a 4500-5000 mAH battery would be sweet.

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

and they seem to come close to making a phone in each price bucket perfect and then miss that one thing, like 630 not having front cam and 720 not having 1gb ram, they should have launched 2 phones at the same time 720 with 520 mb ram and at same time a 720 with 1gb ram, charge the extra cost to customers but atleast put it in market.

You missed the lumia 820 having pathetic battery life.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss