07-12-2014 07:09 PM
205 1234 ...
tools
    The App gap, the App gap!
    This is my point of view! Why i choose WP it was simple, fluidity and stability, so, I'm pretty sure that having android apps here will ruin that.
    We need apps, and the answer that MCSF have to it is brilliant, I mean, use you Android app and change a little of code to make it native, so at this point, MCSF it's making things easy to dev to close this app gap, so I don't want Android apps running in my smooth OS!
    Sent from the future with my Nanocellphone using Tapatalk version 68590382.182
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 07:35 AM
    And as far as i know, Google is totally anti-MS, so I don't see this happening in the near future.
    While true, that too is irrelevant. MS doesn't need Google's permission or support to bring Android apps to WP.

That would only be required if WP would integrate directly with the play store, but that isn't happening.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 07:37 AM
    God I'm tired of this app gap ****. Microsoft is NOT going to let Android apps on Windows Phone EVER!! It started as an in house discussion at Microsoft (a discussion not plans). Microsoft is in this for the long haul, why else buy Nokia. And they aren't going to suddenly run out of money. If u want Android apps buy a Samsung and there's nothing wrong with that. Most average consumers don't care if there platform has a Facebook app. They just want to communicate with friends, relatives and business associates. It's only tech minded people, the minority here, who worry about that sort of stuff!!!

Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1
    a5cent likes this.
    07-05-2014 07:51 AM
    God I'm tired of this app gap ****. Microsoft is NOT going to let Android apps on Windows Phone EVER!! It started as an in house discussion at Microsoft (a discussion not plans). Microsoft is in this for the long haul, why else buy Nokia. And they aren't going to suddenly run out of money. If u want Android apps buy a Samsung and there's nothing wrong with that. Most average consumers don't care if there platform has a Facebook app. They just want to communicate with friends, relatives and business associates. It's only tech minded people, the minority here, who worry about that sort of stuff!!!

Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1
    I think the idea of this being a possibility, again,y was resurrected by the news that MS were preparing to release a smart watch that could be used with/on every platform
    07-05-2014 07:55 AM
    I think the idea of this being a possibility was resurrected by the news that MS were preparing to release a smart watch that could be used with/on every platform
    No. That would in no way require that MS make it possible to run Android apps on WP.

Interfacing with wearables is something that each platform will provide APIs for, which any company making wearables can plug in to.

The topic was resurected by a MS dev hinting that something big is coming to WP that will upset the mobile market.
    07-05-2014 08:00 AM
    I think the idea of this being a possibility, again,y was resurrected by the news that MS were preparing to release a smart watch that could be used with/on every platform
    Yeah i really don't know how that's gonna work. Greater minds than I are working on it I guess but it will be almost impossible for WP to differentiate itself if they go down that path
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 08:00 AM
    No. That would in no way require that MS make it possible to run Android apps on WP.

Interfacing with wearables is something that each platform will provide APIs for, which any company making wearables can plug in to.

The topic was resurected by a MS dev hinting that something big is coming to WP that will upset the mobile market.
    Yup valid point
    07-05-2014 08:01 AM

Oh yes I remember that fiasco lol... Ok but I tied those two things together in my mind
    07-05-2014 08:05 AM
    Oh yes I remember that fiasco lol... Ok but I tied those two things together in my mind
    That was the silliest podcast I can remember seeing lol
    07-05-2014 08:06 AM
    I don't think it is safe to tie that knot ;-)
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 08:09 AM
    I don't think it is safe to tie that knot ;-)
    You think he was bull****ting??
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 08:10 AM
    That was the silliest podcast I can remember seeing lol
    Agreed. Blah blah blah with virtually no information. Waste of time.
    boxa72, ven07 and Chregu like this.
    07-05-2014 08:11 AM
    Agreed. Blah blah blah with virtually no information. Waste of time.
    I was kinda hoping he was telling the truth but I guess so was every WP user
    ven07 and a5cent like this.
    07-05-2014 08:13 AM
    Lol well i wasn't BS-ing... agreed about the podcast
    07-05-2014 08:20 AM
    Lol well i wasn't BS-ing... agreed about the podcast
    No not u I meant the fat guy on the podcast was bull****ting
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 08:21 AM
    You think he was bull****ting??
    I have no idea, although I'm inclined to believe he was exaggerating (I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment).

What I am sure about is that wearables ain't it. MS built wearables wouldn't even upset my grandmother, not to mention we already know MS is coming out with such devices... there is nothing secret about that.
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 08:23 AM
    I have no idea, although I'm inclined to believe he was exaggerating (I think we're setting ourselves up for disappointment).

What I am sure about is that wearables ain't it. MS built wearables wouldn't even upset my grandmother, not to mention we already know MS is coming out with such devices... there is nothing secret about that.
    I originally thought it might be something to do with McLaren but that's not sure until later this year
    ven07 likes this.
    07-05-2014 08:26 AM
    I originally thought it might be something to do with McLaren but that's not sure until later this year
    We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Android apps running on WP would most definitely upset the market however.

I'm not really sure what relevance WP would maintain at that point. Native development for WP would likely dry up over time. I can't really see this scenario playing out, unless MS decides WP is a lost cause, but 'now' definitely doesn't seem like the right time to make that call.
    07-05-2014 08:37 AM
    Android apps suck with regards to security permissions and the inability to turn individual permissions off. But when you need or want to use one, it's sure nice to have the ability to. With that said, the only Android apps I regularly use other than Mobile Nations are Google Maps, Skype, and maybe Flipboard from time to time. I'm not a big app person.

Posted via the WPC App for Android on BlackBerry Z30
    07-05-2014 08:41 AM
    I would not like to see Play Store Apps on WP. The quality of apps on Google Play is disgustingly terrible. Remember the BBM fiasco? It had to be taken down for a while plus hundreds of fake BBM apps. I'm glad Microsoft sets high standards and has good QC. Plus Google Play Apps permissions invade privacy and are solely for getting something to feed ads to users. WP has much more sane Permissions lists and I think MS controls them well. So, no to Android Apps. Getting such low quality apps on WP would spoil WP's aura of high quality and on an OS this great that 'd be a pity.
    Thats what I thought about the quality which is why Im thinking of moving from android to WP. Then I saw the WP store. Full of 1 star review for apps that are of higher quality or have more features on other os's. And then there is xbox music or xbox video. Both have page after page of 1 star reviews from angry people who have downloaded them. And they are microsoft's own apps, not even 3rd party or google apps. So I can't see that the quality issue is a valid argument in this particular thread.
    rodan01 likes this.
    07-05-2014 09:20 AM
    I'm kinda iffy on the idea of having Android apps on Windows Phone as well. I have an HTC One that I mainly use as a tablet and many of the apps I have on it definitely don't run as smoothly as apps run on my WPs or iPod touch.
    07-05-2014 09:35 AM
    I'd happily have android apps on WP. Apps are the biggest drawback on WP and the reason most people including myself leave. I always come back and have a Lumia of some description every 3 or 4 months. Even when we do get apps they're substandard so what's the problem? Even on my iOS devices I rely on Google apps like YouTube, Google Maps etc because they're the best at what they do.

Sent from my iPad using WPCentral Forums
    rodan01 likes this.
    07-05-2014 09:41 AM
    If android apps come to windows phone is like Microsoft admiting total defeat. It also means I will move to android... -_-
    07-05-2014 09:43 AM
    From what I think, allowing Android Apps is a complete surrender. I'm trying to be objective here. Android has some Great Apps, some very interesting concepts and they are welcomed in WP. But, suppose the APIs issues are solved, suppose they run as smoothly as native Apps, but what is the cost? We lose the ecosystem, we lose the design.

Allow me to explain. Android was a design mess until ICS was released. And ever since ICS, Android has been struggling to get a consistent design in the OS across OEMs and a consistent design in the App ecosystem with the design guidelines. WP has never had any problems with the design consistency, everybody knew the Metro (sorry, Modern) guidelines were key to the OS. And what makes it stand out even now. If we allow Android Apps in WP, boom goes that design consistency. We would be standing where Android did before 4.0, and the whole OS would be a mess design-wise.

And the second reason why it would fail is that we would be surrendering to Google in the very core of any OS, its Apps. Google has come and gone many times, and specially in comparison to WP (Calendar, GMail, YouTube, Maps, and so on). Say we adopt Android Apps and Google Play in WP, say it works amazingly and 85% of installed Apps come from Android, and so the devs would see no reason in updating native Apps. And one Day Google breaks everything, Apps are not able to be installed into WP anymore, and the installed stop working. Windows Phone dies. Immediately. There's nothing worse than depending on someone else instead of having a reliable base for yourself. It happens all the time in production and commerce and it would happen with our OS.

Sorry for falling on the long side, but I wanted to make my point thoroughly
    Yunzip, a5cent and forked like this.
    07-05-2014 09:45 AM
    The average user spend most of the time in few apps. Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, Twitter, etc, the big apps. Microsoft has to give economic incentives so those apps are always native and high quality. So, 80%-90% of the usage time the user would get a superb Windows Phone native experience.

The other 10%-20% are personal interests, local apps, niche apps that will always suck on WP and many of them will never come to the platform. Android apps could fill this gap nicely.

In the case of games, developers usually use cross platform game engines. So the barriers to support the platform are lower.

If Android apps get popular in WP and help the platform grow, Microsoft could invest more in the Android runtime. For example, they could skin their Android implementation to the -Windows Phone look and feel-, or even better publish APIs so developers could build a custom UI for Windows Phone and take advantage of the platform features like live tiles. So, developers could target WP reusing most of their Android code but with a customized UI and implementing WP features.
    Last edited by rodan01; 07-05-2014 at 11:07 AM.
    07-05-2014 10:17 AM
205 1234 ...