I say NO to Android apps on WP

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yep, you're definitely not understanding me, but I don't know what the cause of that is. I just added a paragraph to my post above. Maybe that makes more clear what I'm trying to say?

I think you're right, we are miscommunicating. As I understand it the Android Runtime on BB runs on top of the QNX core, this means that apps for it have to use the Eclipse IDE and ADT plugin. AFAIK this would be the same way they would be implemented on WP.

Last edited:

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I would love Android apps on WP, I hate the BIG gap between the app stores.

I think it's a very bad idea, not just for the reason I described above but for two other reasons:

1. It would undo ALL the work that's been done and planned to get the big name apps across to WP already.
2. It hasn't increased BB market share at all. Therefore there is no credible reason to think that it would be any different for WP.

The other problem is that the backend Play Services won't run on an Android Runtime as it's proprietary, this means that none of Google's apps would run.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think you're right, we are miscommunication. As I understand it the Android Runtime on BB runs on top of the QNX core, this means that apps for it have to use the Eclipse IDE and ADT plugin. AFAIK this would be the same way they would be implemented on WP.

No issues with that. Sounds right. Rereading your post, I now think I might have misunderstood you.

You said "MS would discontinue the native SDK (basically WinPRT) and force everyone to instead use the Android SDK."

That sounded to me like you were suggesting MS would provide their own implementation of the Android SDK which would replace WinPRT (even in Visual Studio) That is what I'm disagreeing with, but that might not be what you were saying.

Anyway, I gotta go, so whether we agree or not, this is where I say good night ;-)

Lloydbm4

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I would not like to see Play Store Apps on WP. The quality of apps on Google Play is disgustingly terrible. Remember the BBM fiasco? It had to be taken down for a while plus hundreds of fake BBM apps. I'm glad Microsoft sets high standards and has good QC. Plus Google Play Apps permissions invade privacy and are solely for getting something to feed ads to users. WP has much more sane Permissions lists and I think MS controls them well. So, no to Android Apps. Getting such low quality apps on WP would spoil WP's aura of high quality and on an OS this great that 'd be a pity.

This is a pretty comical post. Not a shred of truth to it, but a funny read. Best part was "WP's aura of high quality" apps. Clearly, your definition of high quality and the rest of the worlds definition are different. I own 4 Windows Phones and 4 Android phones. All flagships at one point, except for my 520, and while I prefer WP to Android, I call bullsh#t when I see/read/hear it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I've read a few of these posts that are calling for the demise of Microsoft for the mobile and desktop space if this rumored app marriage goes through. As for mobile, anything can happen regardless whether this goes through or not. But desktop? I assume these posters are in Colorado, Washington or Amsterdam because to make that kind of statement requires a serious amount of Ganja.

Let me refresh everybody's memory for the sake of argument: Microsoft owns more than 90% of the desktop market share. There is NO way that a mobile OS shakeup will make a dent in Microsoft's bread and butter. There is NO way that a mobile OS will ever replace desktop functions. There is NO way any government will ever switch to an unsecure mobile platform. I could go on but I think I've made my point.

I know that we're enthusiastic fans of the tech world but please, a modicum of sanity is in order.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I was against this when first mentioned also.

Perhaps this is not a bad idea to cross platform. Now I feel that this could be a good thing for the hardware.

Besides MSFT best years were when they were allied with Google way back then. It will be very comfortable to see them united again.

I am sorry but would you please clarify in what reality Microsoft was ever allied with Google? Once upon a time Apple was actively involved with Google and their long standing corporate war was the result. Microsoft has never been allied with Google and has been for quite some time one of the most vocal critics of the company, its privacy policies, and its corrupt business model.

wuiyang

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
i think is microsoft look at those app, and create the same app to windows phone user, like youtube and facebook, not like allow android apps to run on windows phone

girishN

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
How about giving those apps a limited access(like just the ability run in foreground, no notifications, nothing else), they can keep them almost useless and free(by giving the ability to side load them), this way they can keep their store the real app source and can make Android more insecure for developers.
And the term 'windows phones can run android apps' will fill the app gap in people's eyes.

Hessian_Mohd

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Well, Having used all platforms...

I actually favor my windows phone for the very same reason.

I'm with Ven07, if MSFT up the standards it would be great,
You gotta remember its not Just English speaking users.

But the biggest untapped market base is the developing world where people would actually favor a phone with native office and the ability to port android apps. The ONLY reasons i keep my android device around nowadays are the camera, Emojis (yes that's a thing) and social app "Path" which currently sucks on WP sadly.
Theres great potential, MSFT could make it big in developing markets.
But given the ability to download the full android version, id ditch any non windows device.

Although yes, i too am wondering how would it be done... the API's are completely different.

oh well, fac

C

Craigtrain

How about giving those apps a limited access(like just the ability run in foreground, no notifications, nothing else), they can keep them almost useless and free(by giving the ability to side load them), this way they can keep their store the real app source and can make Android more insecure for developers.
And the term 'windows phones can run android apps' will fill the app gap in people's eyes.
This is pretty much the most ridiculous post I've read all day.

C

Craigtrain

But the biggest untapped market base is the developing world where people would actually favor a phone with native office
I don't think having Office on their phone is high up on the list of wanted features for developing markets.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter etc. Some of the biggest apps around and we still don't have a fully functioning, full featured version of them. No excuse after all this time. Just because we have an app doesn't mean we should be happy with the poor quality. Bring on Android apps on WP if that's the rumour!

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Look at all you that are against this idea. I have a $600 phone (Lumia 1520) sitting in the desk drawer because of 2 lousy apps Android/iOS has that WP doesn't. One is my bank app, I keep tweeting, emailing and suggesting the idea of creating one. But since it isn't a BIG bank (Bridgeview Bank) I doubt that they want to bother with the 1%'er.. I am probably the only customer with a WP. The other app is a bit more popular, and that is Quicken. I tweet every week to them, they always reply they will send it to the proper department, or go to their idea page. (Which no one from Inuit ever responds to anyway) So because of those 2 apps, my 1520 sits idle, losing value because I am seriously thinking of selling it. And my HTC One M8 is my daily driver. (Even though the 1520 has a lot better camera, but I also one a DSLR so I can carry that when I need good pictures. Funny thing is the 1520 has a higher MP count. LoL) There is no app like Quicken in the WP store. I have tried just about all of the checkbook apps. I have paid for most of them. I have done my best to support this OS, but it looks like I can't convince anyone to change things. I had been using www.clearcheckbook.com for a while, even subscribed to the premium features. They even came out with a WP app, but the app doesn't work and I was getting tired of paying $42 a year. Not a lot to most of you, but it is to me. But when I inquired over and over again about fixing their app, I finally got a reply.

"We have no immediate plans to work on the Windows Phone app since it's only being used by less than 1% of our users. Our credit card processor isn't letting me issue a refund to your card because the transaction is more than 5 months old.

Please send me your mailing address and I'll send you a check for the $21 still owed to your account.

I have also removed you from the ClearCheckbook Facebook group due to your continual negative / abusive comments.

Brandon O'Brien
brandon@clearcheckbook.com
https://www.clearcheckbook.com"

I guess they didn't like me complaining that their WP app sucked... So with the companies having that type of attitude with WP, then why not allow Android apps to be loaded on my phone. At least then I can sell this One M8 and go back to my 1520.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I guess they didn't like me complaining that their WP app sucked... So with the companies having that type of attitude with WP, then why not allow Android apps to be loaded on my phone. At least then I can sell this One M8 and go back to my 1520.

First off, thanks for making your voice heard with the developers! If everyone did this WP would make more progress faster!

The answer to your question has been provided multiple times already throughout the thread. Either you didn't read the thread or you ignored those posters. I think supporters like you have a valid point, as do those opposing the idea. The way I look at it, allowing Android apps to run on WP could kill WP, just as not doing so could. It looks like we have different reasons for preferring one or the other solution, but I don't think either side is necessarily wrong. There are a lot of dangers to overcome, no matter which option MS chooses.

Whatever happens, MS really does need to do something big, and they need to do it soon. Go big or go home.

Last edited:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The answer to your question has been provided multiple times already throughout the thread.

Whatever happens, MS really does need to either do something big at this point, and they need to do it soon. Go big or go home.

Well, truth be told, don't think I asked a question. Just stated my feeling on the subject. I think it should be allowed, but for those who don't.... Oh well, it's not going to change the fact that I have a great phone sitting idle because of no comparable WP apps..

Ultimate Insider

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Android apps best work on Android OS with a version 4.4.4 and later which is "Android L". I don't see any reason why Microsoft should allow Android apps run on WP. It will deteoriate / harm the development of the native wp apps. Just look at the BB10 native apps.

If Microsoft is going to get Android apps on their phones, the best thing could be making high-end devices for Android OS or making it dual boot compatible, which comes with wp8.1 and Android 4.4.4 / L with wp wannabe UI preinstalled on their devices.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Then why bb 10 os failed.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

There are many differences with BlackBerry.

BB10 had 0 users when they started (they included Android apps from the beginning) . WP has +50 millions of users.

BlackBerry used a different format for the Andrid apps and a new store, Android developers didn't submit many apps. Probably Microsoft would use the Nokia X store. Sales of the X are quite good, so if the add support for Android apps in 2015 they would have a lot of apps ready for WP.

The initial implementation of the Android support in BB10 was awful. Microsoft has to do a better job.

BB10 had zero native apps in the store when they started. WP has 250.000 native apps.

BB10 is just a phone. Windows is a full platform, so developers can reuse their work in native apps on tablets, PCs, even XBOX (some day).

BlackBerry is a small company compared to Microsoft. They don't have the strength to back a platform to compete with Google and Apple.

The old BlackBerry users interested in touch devices had already switched to iOS and Android. Few people was interested in BlackBerry touch devices.

BlackBerry collapsed financially only 2 quarters after the launch of BB10 and that killed the OS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos