07-12-2014 07:09 PM
205 ... 45678 ...
tools
    i) That "many" Android devices sold outside NA/EU get infected with malware

ii)That sales of AOSP devices will outpace that of other Android handsets

iii)Your data for AOSP growth rate (since these are no-name manufacturers, I have never seen a single report breaking out their numbers and sales).
    I'll take you seriously when you can disagree without being offensive.

I used Google for you. This is the first hit I found. It backs up most of my claims. I'll let you do the rest of your homework yourself, because at least as far as infection rates in eastern Europe or Asia are concerned, those numbers can be found everywhere. If you can't see them you've got a blind spot that you'll have to fix first.
    07-07-2014 09:43 AM
    I'll take you seriously when you can disagree without being offensive.

I used Google for you. This is the first hit I found. It backs up most of my claims. I'll let you do the rest of your homework yourself, because at least as far as infection rates in eastern Europe or Asia are concerned, those numbers can be found everywhere. If you can't see them you've got a blind spot that you'll have to fix first.
    Yo homeboy, you took that dude to school. Thanks for posting some backup for my previous post. I knew that AOSP devices were spreading locally but I wasn't aware that it's a global phenomenon too.
    Guytronic and a5cent like this.
    07-07-2014 08:23 PM
    I love my WP but the day Microsoft says about to support Android I will change to Android again so my WP will don't have sense, please Microsoft don't do that
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk
    07-07-2014 10:10 PM
    I love my WP but the day Microsoft says about to support Android I will change to Android again so my WP will don't have sense, please Microsoft don't do that
    Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk
    I find this puzzling, if they do decide to support android, why switch to android? If they did, I would fire my Lumia 1520 up, load the apps I need, then sell this android phone or put it in a drawer (where my 1520 sits) for a backup phone.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8, running the ViperOne M8 ROM via Tapatalk.
    07-08-2014 08:34 AM
    Looks like an iPhone is in the cards for me. Must be that and flip phones that are the only thing in our near future that aren't using Android.
    theefman likes this.
    07-08-2014 08:58 AM
    If they did, I would fire my Lumia 1520 up, load the apps I need, then sell this android phone or put it in a drawer (where my 1520 sits) for a backup phone.
    Out of curiosity... can you say which Android apps you'd use and explain why you would prefer to run those apps on WP, rather than on Android?
    07-08-2014 09:08 AM
    I really don't see what the big deal is. Blackberry has their own store and they run Android apps and look how well they are doing. The support for the Blackberry OS/store is still exemplary! /s

I think Microsoft is going through a mid-life crisis. I give them support as they go through it, but if they come out of the crisis supporting Android; then I may need to join Android Central.

So far , it doesn't look too good. I thought they bought Nokia to give WP the premier experience. Not to put Android on Nokia (X) and enable sideload of Android apps on WP.

There goes my pride in WP, bring back Steve Balmer already.
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-08-2014 09:36 AM
    Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter etc. Some of the biggest apps around and we still don't have a fully functioning, full featured version of them. No excuse after all this time. Just because we have an app doesn't mean we should be happy with the poor quality. Bring on Android apps on WP if that's the rumour!
    Since 8.1 does away with much of the people hub functionality, and throws you into the Facebook app, let's face it, both current Facebook apps on Windows Phone are terrible. This includes the one in Beta, and the non-Beta that looks like a Symbian app from 2010.

Windows Phone 8.1, in fact, for social networking, is not a very good device. You need a go around third party app for Instagram for fricks sake, as the official app is still considered 'Beta' as well.
    07-08-2014 09:38 AM
    I don't think it's that big of a deal that MS sells Android apps in the WP store, I don't think it's a big deal to have my Lumia run and android app . I do have a problem with if Microsoft starts making Android devices by Nokia or Microsoft.
    07-08-2014 09:42 AM
    I do have a problem with if Microsoft starts making Android devices by Nokia or Microsoft.
    Uh, yeah. Horse, meet barn door:
    Nokia XL - Full phone specifications
    07-08-2014 10:18 AM
    There seems to be a consensus that Microsoft can't run or offer Android apps. There is a precedent for this, back in the 80s GM sold re-badged Toyotas under the Geo brand. Fact is, this was happening up until a year or two ago with the Pontiac Vibe/ Toyota Matrix twins. Both conglomerates benefited from the arrangement and no one jumped off a tall bridge because of it. Lighten up people.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Geddeeee likes this.
    07-08-2014 11:26 AM
    If Microsoft go that way I will not install those android apps nd use my existing wp apps with live tiles but those wp native apps will not be updated I know for sure.I will use wp as phone just for calling nd messaging.nd for apps I will carry my android perhaps I will buy Moto G.or xiomi mi 3 for apps.no way I will leave wp.I will use 2 separate phones.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app
    Last edited by prasath1234; 07-08-2014 at 12:44 PM.
    07-08-2014 12:33 PM
    There seems to be a consensus that Microsoft can't run or offer Android apps. There is a precedent for this, back in the 80s GM sold re-badged Toyotas under the Geo brand. Fact is, this was happening up until a year or two ago with the Pontiac Vibe/ Toyota Matrix twins. Both conglomerates benefited from the arrangement and no one jumped off a tall bridge because of it. Lighten up people.

yeah but we're is Pontiac today? And yeah no more Toyota matrix in USA......is that were WP and all the dev support going? ......bye bye?
    ajst222 likes this.
    07-08-2014 08:30 PM
    Out of curiosity... can you say which Android apps you'd use and explain why you would prefer to run those apps on WP, rather than on Android?
    yeah that would be ridiculous......if you got almost a million android apps why use it on a WP......just buy an android and it would probably run better since there optimized for androids
    07-08-2014 08:34 PM
    I cant stand Google and Android. If Microsoft goes that direction, i guess going to ditch my Lumia and go back to my Iphone.
    07-08-2014 08:46 PM
    I would throw a fit if Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows Phone. They've done an excellent job at growing their own NATIVE ecosystem, and there's no reason to bring Android into this. Think of BlackBerry. I've own a Z10 and a Q10 and it's been a complete mess for them with native apps and Android ports. With Android ports, there is absolutely no incentive for developers to make native apps which run much better and obviously look and feel nicer because they mesh with the OS. Just...don't, Microsoft. I could go on and on.
    paulxxwall and jojoe42 like this.
    07-08-2014 08:53 PM
    yeah that would be ridiculous......if you got almost a million android apps why use it on a WP......just buy an android and it would probably run better since there optimized for androids
    With that argument, It'd be also ridiculous to buy a WP now, without Android apps. WP has a fraction of the apps and most of them are low quality, lacking features, with many bugs.
    Just buy an Android that has high quality apps with all the features.

But wait, that's exactly what's happening, WP has 2% of market share. Everybody Is buying Android or iOS.

Maybe Android apps could add value to the platform and increase sales.
    go1020 likes this.
    07-08-2014 09:00 PM
    yeah but we're is Pontiac today? And yeah no more Toyota matrix in USA......is that were WP and all the dev support going? ......bye bye?
    It doesn't matter what happened to Pontiac or anybody else, the point is that major manufacturers have banded together before without their customers belly-aching and threatening to burn their LeBron jerseys. I think people need to grow up and understand how the real world works. If devs leave the platform over this, good riddance.

07-08-2014 10:18 PM
    But wait, that's exactly what's happening, WP has 2% of market share. Everybody Is buying Android or iOS.

Maybe Android apps could add value to the platform and increase sales.
    WP's global market share is more like 4 or 5%, but your point is still valid. Bringing Android apps to Windows Phone might help the platform grow, or it might not. At this point maybe Microsoft feels that they don't have a lot to lose. Its forecast is to grow at about 1%/year for the next several years. Is it sustainable at that rate?
    vkm1183995 likes this.
    07-08-2014 10:21 PM
    That was neither a rhetorical nor a trick question. I'm genuinely curious why oditius (or anyone else for that matter) would prefer to run Android apps on WP rather than just get a real Android device? So far I haven't seen anybody answer that question.

If a majority agrees with whatever the answer is, I think that might go a long way towards convincing people that WP still has a role to play in such a world. On the other hand, if the reasons seem misguided or unpopular/irrelevant to most, then that might indicate that WP really would be in for a rough time once WP is able to run Android apps.

So, Oditius? Anybody?
    07-08-2014 11:15 PM
    How did this rumor start anyway?

I don't see Microsoft allowing Androids apps on the Windows Phone platform besides how the heck would a Android app run on a Windows Phone? Like it does on the PC, slow.....

Jim
    07-08-2014 11:42 PM
    How did this rumor start anyway?

I don't see Microsoft allowing Androids apps on the Windows Phone platform besides how the heck would a Android app run on a Windows Phone? Like it does on the PC, slow.....

Jim
    It has been confirmed by my Nokia blog that MS is working on bringing Android apps to Windows phone and also an android Lumia too market
    07-08-2014 11:51 PM
    @a5cent My reason to do so would be getting feature parity on some of the apps. I love WP's design, elegance, UI, live tiles. Feature wise it's pretty good. But at times I come across apps (that I don't use regularly) that I wish had the same functionality as other platforms.

For example, ETRADE, Fidelity Investments don't have mobile check deposit. I had to borrow a friend's Android to do that right at the tax deadline.

I love Windows phone so wouldn't switch if app/feature gap didn't exist.
    rodan01 and a5cent like this.
    07-09-2014 12:11 AM
    It doesn't make any sense. WP is Tile based and Android is Icons. The only way I see Android on WP is like how Android is an a PC through third part software like Bluestacks but that is slower and clunky.

How is Android apps going to run on a WP?

Jim
    boxa72 likes this.
    07-09-2014 12:19 AM
    If MS wants to fast-track app availability on WP like BlackBerry tried - look what happened to BlackBerry...no-one developed for BB10 despite the apps being un-optimised and all. All-in-all I can understand where they are come from, but that's what BlackBerry thought they could do successfully and ultimately failed
    boxa72 likes this.
    07-09-2014 12:20 AM
205 ... 45678 ...