I say NO to Android apps on WP

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would throw a fit if Microsoft brings Android apps to Windows Phone. They've done an excellent job at growing their own NATIVE ecosystem, and there's no reason to bring Android into this. Think of BlackBerry. I've own a Z10 and a Q10 and it's been a complete mess for them with native apps and Android ports. With Android ports, there is absolutely no incentive for developers to make native apps which run much better and obviously look and feel nicer because they mesh with the OS. Just...don't, Microsoft. I could go on and on.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
yeah that would be ridiculous......if you got almost a million android apps why use it on a WP......just buy an android and it would probably run better since there optimized for androids

With that argument, It'd be also ridiculous to buy a WP now, without Android apps. WP has a fraction of the apps and most of them are low quality, lacking features, with many bugs.
Just buy an Android that has high quality apps with all the features.

But wait, that's exactly what's happening, WP has 2% of market share. Everybody Is buying Android or iOS.

Maybe Android apps could add value to the platform and increase sales.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
yeah but we're is Pontiac today? And yeah no more Toyota matrix in USA......is that were WP and all the dev support going? ......bye bye?

It doesn't matter what happened to Pontiac or anybody else, the point is that major manufacturers have banded together before without their customers belly-aching and threatening to burn their LeBron jerseys. I think people need to grow up and understand how the real world works. If devs leave the platform over this, good riddance.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
But wait, that's exactly what's happening, WP has 2% of market share. Everybody Is buying Android or iOS.

Maybe Android apps could add value to the platform and increase sales.

WP's global market share is more like 4 or 5%, but your point is still valid. Bringing Android apps to Windows Phone might help the platform grow, or it might not. At this point maybe Microsoft feels that they don't have a lot to lose. Its forecast is to grow at about 1%/year for the next several years. Is it sustainable at that rate?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity... can you say which Android apps you'd use and explain why you would prefer to run those apps on WP, rather than on Android?
yeah that would be ridiculous......if you got almost a million android apps why use it on a WP......just buy an android and it would probably run better since there optimized for androids

That was neither a rhetorical nor a trick question. I'm genuinely curious why oditius (or anyone else for that matter) would prefer to run Android apps on WP rather than just get a real Android device? So far I haven't seen anybody answer that question.

If a majority agrees with whatever the answer is, I think that might go a long way towards convincing people that WP still has a role to play in such a world. On the other hand, if the reasons seem misguided or unpopular/irrelevant to most, then that might indicate that WP really would be in for a rough time once WP is able to run Android apps.

So, Oditius? Anybody?

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
How did this rumor start anyway?

I don't see Microsoft allowing Androids apps on the Windows Phone platform besides how the heck would a Android app run on a Windows Phone? Like it does on the PC, slow.....

Jim

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
How did this rumor start anyway?

I don't see Microsoft allowing Androids apps on the Windows Phone platform besides how the heck would a Android app run on a Windows Phone? Like it does on the PC, slow.....

Jim

It has been confirmed by my Nokia blog that MS is working on bringing Android apps to Windows phone and also an android Lumia too market

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
@a5cent My reason to do so would be getting feature parity on some of the apps. I love WP's design, elegance, UI, live tiles. Feature wise it's pretty good. But at times I come across apps (that I don't use regularly) that I wish had the same functionality as other platforms.

For example, ETRADE, Fidelity Investments don't have mobile check deposit. I had to borrow a friend's Android to do that right at the tax deadline.

I love Windows phone so wouldn't switch if app/feature gap didn't exist.

jbfoster61

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense. WP is Tile based and Android is Icons. The only way I see Android on WP is like how Android is an a PC through third part software like Bluestacks but that is slower and clunky.

How is Android apps going to run on a WP?

Jim

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
If MS wants to fast-track app availability on WP like BlackBerry tried - look what happened to BlackBerry...no-one developed for BB10 despite the apps being un-optimised and all. All-in-all I can understand where they are come from, but that's what BlackBerry thought they could do successfully and ultimately failed

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft are doing nothing of the sort. This whole argument is ridiculous and you'll find that this particular rumor is false
Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
When I here Microsoft announce it then I'll believe it. Until then I'll treat it like every other rumor n take with a grain of salt
Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

IzaacJ

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
As I've written on twitter about this, it could be an awesome opportunity for businesses to see that people want their WP app.
If this happens, it should be restricted to established companies to keep all the android crap out, and also, the developer gets a year (or so) to develop a native app. After that year, they have to pay a fee each month to keep their Android version up. And if they put that native app up during the first 6 months, they're getting their first year for free

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If MS wants to fast-track app availability on WP like BlackBerry tried - look what happened to BlackBerry...no-one developed for BB10 despite the apps being un-optimised and all. All-in-all I can understand where they are come from, but that's what BlackBerry thought they could do successfully and ultimately failed
But blackberry does not have a brand like nokia at least in India.nokia wp phone with android apps put plug on app gap.its market share will increase in India.so good for Indians only if they optimise to run android which I think is far fetched affair.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
That was neither a rhetorical nor a trick question. I'm genuinely curious why oditius (or anyone else for that matter) would prefer to run Android apps on WP rather than just get a real Android device? So far I haven't seen anybody answer that question.
?

I have a beautiful start screen, I like live tiles, the metro design, I use MS services, I like the simplicity of the OS.

But I can't access my bank, I can't read my favorite newspaper, and I can't play candy crash!. My life is not perfect. Maybe with a few Android apps it could be perfect.

The question you're asking is invalid because it includes the assumption that native development dies with android support and all the native apps instantly disappear. That's nonsense.

A more relevant question is: Would you like to add a couple of Android apps to improve your experience with Windows Phone?. I think most of the users would answer yes.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
It doesn't make any sense. WP is Tile based and Android is Icons. The only way I see Android on WP is like how Android is an a PC through third part software like Bluestacks but that is slower and clunky.

How is Android apps going to run on a WP?

Jim

Well....if I had control of Microsoft,I wouldn't be doing what BB did,nor run Android in a VM or VB with some half baked Android store.

I would push for a true dual boot Lumina with the latest processor and graphics chipset,3-4 gigs of ram,64or 128 gig of internal storage,with 128 gig supported external storage with a qhd 5.5" display small bezel with a removable 4800 battery and a 41mp camera. This would be the ultimate smart phone. This would also have true Dolby digital stereo speakers Miracast,HDMI out, finger print scanning,retinal scanning with a in built barometer,running Threshold and pure ASOP with no boot loaders,efuses,or Knox.

They would be lining up in larger numbers than they ever did for any phone in history.

Every tech magazine would be proclaiming it is the greatest thing since sliced bread and Microsoft would be crowned king...

Internal and external storage will be partitioned automatically for the different os's..and both will be able to be backed up on the fly and completely restored on the fly independent of each other.
Why have 2 completely different os's...simple..no one else has done it yet in mainstream phones,both apps are still developed,without worrying about WP ever going away,you still have WP secured system,but have the best Android system to customize to your hearts content,all of Google's apps and services too.
While I know that there is so much hatred for Android and Google,and I don't like their policies either,I know all about ASOP and what it is capable of. I also know Microsoft WP will never really make a big dent in market share on it's own,regardless of what many here hope for,and this phone will change the mobile world entirely. It's not running up a white flag of surrender,just the opposite. It's throwing down the gauntlet to all other phone makers,and will showcase WP like it has never been before. It's apps and os will compete head to head with the best Android can offer,so Microsoft's developers all of them,have to bring their A game,cause nothing else willacceptable

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
When I here Microsoft announce it then I'll believe it. Until then I'll treat it like every other rumor n take with a grain of salt Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

Exactly how I feel. I think that until we hear from Microsoft on this then it's just best to take it for what it is, rumours and speculation nothing more.

This is about as likely to happen as the rumoured Lumia Android Phone!!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The question you're asking is invalid because it includes the assumption that native development dies with android support and all the native apps instantly disappear. That's nonsense.

I guess my question is valid then rodan, since it neither implies nor assumes anything of the kind. There is no hidden agenda. It's just a simple question. I just want to know what others think about it.

We already discussed why I think unrestricted Android app support would kill a lot of the 'native' app development for WP. We know why we think differently. We both think each others views on this one issue are nonsensical, and since neither can convince the other, we might as well leave it at that for now.

This question is completely unrelated however.

So again... a question to everyone:

If you could run Android apps on WP, why would you prefer to run them on WP as opposed to getting a real Android device and running them on that?

Last edited:

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
So again... a question to everyone:

If you could run Android apps on WP, why would you prefer to run them on WP as opposed to getting a real Android device and running them on that?

The only reason I would prefer them on WP, if there were customization like apps create for WP that allow you to customize certain things like background colors(besides Black and White) and the look of the notification center for example. If something like that isn't their, than I would rather get an android device to get a real experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss