I say NO to Android apps on WP

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
WP has a lot of OS restrictions, so even if play store apps do enter WP store, they would be lacking in features, such as the ability to send songs on whatsapp.
App gap surely does exist, but it doesn't matter much to me. But, what does bother me is the app quality. And as far as i know, Google is totally anti-MS, so I don't see this happening in the near future.

David P2

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
And you have to remember and Android and Blackberry run Unix based OS's (Linux and QNX respectively) so you would have to pretty much rewrite them completely to run under NT (which is effectively what WP8 is) so they use the correct APIs and OS calls and such.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Now that Android is improving and it runs quite well in low end hardware, the advantages of WP are disappearing and the app gap is still huge.

Or more precisely: Now that what qualifies as low end hardware has risen to a level that satisfies Android's needs.

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I would not like to see Play Store Apps on WP. The quality of apps on Google Play is disgustingly terrible. Remember the BBM fiasco? It had to be taken down for a while plus hundreds of fake BBM apps. I'm glad Microsoft sets high standards and has good QC. Plus Google Play Apps permissions invade privacy and are solely for getting something to feed ads to users. WP has much more sane Permissions lists and I think MS controls them well. So, no to Android Apps. Getting such low quality apps on WP would spoil WP's aura of high quality and on an OS this great that 'd be a pity.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And you have to remember and Android and Blackberry run Unix based OS's (Linux and QNX respectively) so you would have to pretty much rewrite them completely to run under NT (which is effectively what WP8 is) so they use the correct APIs and OS calls and such.

I think this is irrelevant, as Android programs are Java based, meaning those apps have no direct dependencies on Linux APIs.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
The App gap, the App gap!
This is my point of view! Why i choose WP it was simple, fluidity and stability, so, I'm pretty sure that having android apps here will ruin that.
We need apps, and the answer that MCSF have to it is brilliant, I mean, use you Android app and change a little of code to make it native, so at this point, MCSF it's making things easy to dev to close this app gap, so I don't want Android apps running in my smooth OS!
Sent from the future with my Nanocellphone using Tapatalk version 68590382.182

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
And as far as i know, Google is totally anti-MS, so I don't see this happening in the near future.

While true, that too is irrelevant. MS doesn't need Google's permission or support to bring Android apps to WP.

That would only be required if WP would integrate directly with the play store, but that isn't happening.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
God I'm tired of this app gap ****. Microsoft is NOT going to let Android apps on Windows Phone EVER!! It started as an in house discussion at Microsoft (a discussion not plans). Microsoft is in this for the long haul, why else buy Nokia. And they aren't going to suddenly run out of money. If u want Android apps buy a Samsung and there's nothing wrong with that. Most average consumers don't care if there platform has a Facebook app. They just want to communicate with friends, relatives and business associates. It's only tech minded people, the minority here, who worry about that sort of stuff!!!

Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
God I'm tired of this app gap ****. Microsoft is NOT going to let Android apps on Windows Phone EVER!! It started as an in house discussion at Microsoft (a discussion not plans). Microsoft is in this for the long haul, why else buy Nokia. And they aren't going to suddenly run out of money. If u want Android apps buy a Samsung and there's nothing wrong with that. Most average consumers don't care if there platform has a Facebook app. They just want to communicate with friends, relatives and business associates. It's only tech minded people, the minority here, who worry about that sort of stuff!!!

Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

I think the idea of this being a possibility, again,y was resurrected by the news that MS were preparing to release a smart watch that could be used with/on every platform

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the idea of this being a possibility was resurrected by the news that MS were preparing to release a smart watch that could be used with/on every platform

No. That would in no way require that MS make it possible to run Android apps on WP.

Interfacing with wearables is something that each platform will provide APIs for, which any company making wearables can plug in to.

The topic was resurected by a MS dev hinting that something big is coming to WP that will upset the mobile market.

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the idea of this being a possibility, again,y was resurrected by the news that MS were preparing to release a smart watch that could be used with/on every platform

Yeah i really don't know how that's gonna work. Greater minds than I are working on it I guess but it will be almost impossible for WP to differentiate itself if they go down that path

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
No. That would in no way require that MS make it possible to run Android apps on WP.

Interfacing with wearables is something that each platform will provide APIs for, which any company making wearables can plug in to.

The topic was resurected by a MS dev hinting that something big is coming to WP that will upset the mobile market.

Yup valid point

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Oh yes I remember that fiasco lol... Ok but I tied those two things together in my mind

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo