I say NO to Android apps on WP

megadragon998

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
If Microsoft teams up with Bluestacks team and make the simmilar app for phones, then i wouldn't mind coming of android apps. I think it would really fill the gap, but it would also need to be optional, like Files, so no users would be forced to use it.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
How about giving those apps a limited access(like just the ability run in foreground, no notifications, nothing else), they can keep them almost useless and free(by giving the ability to side load them), this way they can keep their store the real app source and can make Android more insecure for developers.
And the term 'windows phones can run android apps' will fill the app gap in people's eyes.

"...and can make Android more insecure for developers." Not sure I understand what you're trying to say here?

This is pretty much the most ridiculous post I've read all day.

Sorry but I actually agree with girishN, if Microsoft wants to allow Android apps then they need to heavily restrict them, we already have a secure OS why compromise that by allowing malware to infect devices, and only allow them to be sideloaded onto the device.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
If Microsoft teams up with Bluestacks team and make the simmilar app for phones, then i wouldn't mind coming of android apps. I think it would really fill the gap, but it would also need to be optional, like Files, so no users would be forced to use it.

That's probably the best option, make it optional for those who want to use it.

C

Craigtrain

we already have a secure OS why compromise that by allowing malware to infect devices, and only allow them to be sideloaded onto the device.

If you read the statistics, only 1% of Android users encounter any form of malware, and these are predominately people who sideload apps from outside of the Play Store.

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
If you read the statistics, only 1% of Android users encounter any form of malware, and these are predominately people who sideload apps from outside of the Play Store.

Emerging markets where android is well known use to pirated apps due to electronic payments, so I'm pretty sure more than that 1% is affected by this!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

That is only almost correct. The majority of Android devices are AOSP devices. These devices aren't connected to Google play, but to entirely different app stores. This is normal for most Android devices in eastern Europe, Russia, and much of Asia. Millions of these devices are infected with malware each year, despite not side loading a single app!

Google play is the only app store that is safe, but most Android devices are connected to alternatives.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Emerging markets where android is well known use to pirated apps due to electronic payments, so I'm pretty sure more than that 1% is affected by this!

It depends how you measure. Google ignores everything but their own app store. They offer well below 1% infection rates. Some app stores in Russia contain over 25% malware.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, truth be told, don't think I asked a question. Just stated my feeling on the subject. I think it should be allowed, but for those who don't.... Oh well, it's not going to change the fact that I have a great phone sitting idle because of no comparable WP apps..

I quote:

"Then why not allow android apps to be loaded on my phone"

Sounded like a question to me...

C

Craigtrain

That is only almost correct. The majority of Android devices are AOSP devices. These devices aren't connected to Google play, but to entirely different app stores.

Please show me a statistic or some metric of how you came up with this.

*edit*
Search the web for Android device sales and usage, there are handset makers that produce phones without Google sevices, many in China, but they are not the majority.

Last edited:

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
That is only almost correct. The majority of Android devices are AOSP devices. These devices aren't connected to Google play, but to entirely different app stores. This is normal for most Android devices in eastern Europe, Russia, and much of Asia. Millions of these devices are infected with malware each year, despite not side loading a single app!

Google play is the only app store that is safe, but most Android devices are connected to alternatives.
Definetly "safer" but not safe. There has been many articles and research showing a very high level of malware in the google play store.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Definetly "safer" but not safe. There has been many articles and research showing a very high level of malware in the google play store.

I've never seen any statistics showing over 1%. I don't remember any specific numbers, but I do remember that they all started with a decimal point. Of course, what is considered safe and unsafe is somewhat relative. Compared to WP's or Apple's stores, even 1 app in 10000 containing malware is extremely high.

TerryB9999

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I would not like to see Play Store Apps on WP. The quality of apps on Google Play is disgustingly terrible. Remember the BBM fiasco? It had to be taken down for a while plus hundreds of fake BBM apps. I'm glad Microsoft sets high standards and has good QC. Plus Google Play Apps permissions invade privacy and are solely for getting something to feed ads to users. WP has much more sane Permissions lists and I think MS controls them well. So, no to Android Apps. Getting such low quality apps on WP would spoil WP's aura of high quality and on an OS this great that 'd be a pity.
[I[/I]

I always get a kick out of the fanboys and girls that post like this but damn, you drank the koolaid, lol.

I would recommend spending some time with Android and iPhone apps, you will be amazed. That is of you can still see past the spell that has been cast on you. :)

C

Craigtrain

[I[/I]

I always get a kick out of the fanboys and girls that post like this but damn, you drank the koolaid, lol.

I would recommend spending some time with Android and iPhone apps, you will be amazed. That is of you can still see past the spell that has been cast on you. :)
You need to let posts like this go. It doesn't do any good to try and refute what somebody like this is saying, just sit back and laugh.

I use devices from all of the big players, and I can honestly say that the Windows Phone app store is extremely poor. Many times when I search for a popular game, I get excited to see that it's available, but after really looking at it I see that it's only a game guide or walkthrough.

Here's an example. I've been playing World of Tanks Blitz all weekend on my iPad, it's totally awesome, and I was hoping that I would be able to play it on my 920. I checked the WP store and I about jumped out of my seat when I saw this.

9bGtCa5.jpg

It's too bad really. I don't even know what this app does, but I can see that they're trying to rip people off. There's wayyy too much of this going on in the WP store. Fake apps, game guides and walkthrough's that use the logo and brand of the real developers, hoping that they can fake someone into purchasing it. So when I see someone say something like this:

The quality of apps on Google Play is disgustingly terrible.

I simply laugh...hard.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
*edit*
Search the web for Android device sales and usage, there are handset makers that produce phones without Google sevices, many in China, but they are not the majority.

Okay, you are right. I should have said: "The majority of Android devices sold in developing nations are AOSP devices". That just isn't relevant to the point I was making. I mentioned that only because I wanted it to be clear that the number of AOSP devices being sold isn't insignificant.

So, once more: Google Play is the only Android app store that is "relatively" safe, and if you're outside of North America or western Europe, chances are very high that your Android device is using an unsafe alternative. Over 70 million AOSP devices were sold in Q1 of 2014, and many of them become infected with malware without their owners side loading anything. That was my point.

In regards to AOSP not yet representing a majority of Android sales I'd also add, that nobody doubts this will change before long. World wide, GSM (Android's Google) currently outnumbers AOSP devices only by 2:1, but AOSP's growth rate currently outpaces GSM's growth rate by approximately 4:1.

C

Craigtrain

nobody doubts this will change before long. World wide, GSM (Android's Google) currently outnumbers AOSP devices only by 2:1, but AOSP's growth rate currently outpaces GSM's growth rate by approximately 4:1.

Non-Google AOSP phones aren't going to start outselling Google's own variant. Play Services equipped devices are gaining in market share from everything I've read. But really, a lot can Change. Maybe Amazon's Fire Phone will be a smash hit and skew all these numbers dramatically. I doubt it though.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Non-Google AOSP phones aren't going to start outselling Google's own variant. Play Services equipped devices are gaining in market share from everything I've read. But really, a lot can Change. Maybe Amazon's Fire Phone will be a smash hit and skew all these numbers dramatically. I doubt it though.

Are you sure you aren't looking only at U.S. numbers? Either way though it doesn't really matter, as it's not really relevant to my point.

The analysis I've read expects this to happen within three years, but that is just based on current trend lines and you are obviously correct that we can't know that they will continue to change at the same rate. It's all just 'guestimations'....

Maitrikkataria

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
I was against this when first mentioned also.

Perhaps this is not a bad idea to cross platform. Now I feel that this could be a good thing for the hardware.

Besides MSFT best years were when they were allied with Google way back then. It will be very comfortable to see them united again.

Yes, I agree with you. If we start believing on those high end analysts working for Gartner and Forrestor, cross-platform is going to rule the future. And if WP starts supporting Android Apps, or if they even started dual booting Phones, then anyhow it will be great for developers. Exposing them with the new opportunities. Developers will be able to penetrate two huge markets simultaneously. I don't know why people think that will be bad!
Imagine thousands of developers who develop the same apps for Android and Windows Phone, and how much users will be benefited by that! :smile:

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I quote:

"Then why not allow android apps to be loaded on my phone"

Sounded like a question to me...
Well, taken out of text, didn't really want an answer, since there wasn't a question mark at the end. But even without it, it's still a question. LoL I can read, and yes I saw a bunch of unofficial answers too. This sits on both sides of the fence, but if it was allowed, I'd be one of the first to load a couple android apps on my phone to get my 1520 back as my daily driver.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos