I say NO to Android apps on WP

guillams

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
y9upu4yd

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I want functionality! The DirecTv app hasn't been updated since Jan 2012, the android and apple version has streaming built in and has genie go capabilities. Fox News app is junk and hasnt been updated in 2 years, twitter app is a dwonk and the facebook app is terrible. IHeartRadio app crashes all the time.

And I'm sick and tired of seeing all these commercials that say "download our mobile app now available in the app and google stores". What about window phone store bitches? #DontForgetYourOwnApp

Now I'm pissed off. /rant

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
My "what I use" list for 2015, if Microsoft takes this path:

MacBook Air
iPad Mini
Some Nexus or Moto Android phone
PlayStation 4

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay, you are right. I should have said: "The majority of Android devices sold in developing nations are AOSP devices". That just isn't relevant to the point I was making. I mentioned that only because I wanted it to be clear that the number of AOSP devices being sold isn't insignificant.

So, once more: Google Play is the only Android app store that is "relatively" safe, and if you're outside of North America or western Europe, chances are very high that your Android device is using an unsafe alternative. Over 70 million AOSP devices were sold in Q1 of 2014, and many of them become infected with malware without their owners side loading anything. That was my point.

In regards to AOSP not yet representing a majority of Android sales I'd also add, that nobody doubts this will change before long. World wide, GSM (Android's Google) currently outnumbers AOSP devices only by 2:1, but AOSP's growth rate currently outpaces GSM's growth rate by approximately 4:1.

I think you're making up statistics - very little of what you said is true. The only place where AOSP devices perform like this is possibly China and similar places because of legal issues, and nobody really knows their numbers. Look at the Indian manufacturers like Micromax or Karbonn - they sell a lot of phones and every one has the Play Store and the full suite of services.

The official Google-reported numbers are always full-Android phones with the Play Store (note that Google doesn't report sales - they report activations, which is when a device has a Google account added and calls home to the Play Store).

I'd like to see at least one recent report or article backing up any of these statements:

i) That "many" Android devices sold outside NA/EU get infected with malware

ii)That sales of AOSP devices will outpace that of other Android handsets

iii)Your data for AOSP growth rate (since these are no-name manufacturers, I have never seen a single report breaking out their numbers and sales).

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
^ You may not see any reports from these "no name" MFGs but they are out there. Look at my signature for this post. These cheap Androids are selling like ice cream at a day care here in Miami. Blu and Yezz are based here and thriving. TBH, they're not that bad. I imagine they suck at games but I wouldn't know.

Sent from my STUDIO 5.5 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i) That "many" Android devices sold outside NA/EU get infected with malware

ii)That sales of AOSP devices will outpace that of other Android handsets

iii)Your data for AOSP growth rate (since these are no-name manufacturers, I have never seen a single report breaking out their numbers and sales).

I'll take you seriously when you can disagree without being offensive.

I used Google for you. This is the first hit I found. It backs up most of my claims. I'll let you do the rest of your homework yourself, because at least as far as infection rates in eastern Europe or Asia are concerned, those numbers can be found everywhere. If you can't see them you've got a blind spot that you'll have to fix first.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'll take you seriously when you can disagree without being offensive.

I used Google for you. This is the first hit I found. It backs up most of my claims. I'll let you do the rest of your homework yourself, because at least as far as infection rates in eastern Europe or Asia are concerned, those numbers can be found everywhere. If you can't see them you've got a blind spot that you'll have to fix first.

Yo homeboy, you took that dude to school. Thanks for posting some backup for my previous post. I knew that AOSP devices were spreading locally but I wasn't aware that it's a global phenomenon too.

jorgemariom

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I love my WP but the day Microsoft says about to support Android I will change to Android again so my WP will don't have sense, please Microsoft don't do that
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I love my WP but the day Microsoft says about to support Android I will change to Android again so my WP will don't have sense, please Microsoft don't do that
Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk
I find this puzzling, if they do decide to support android, why switch to android? If they did, I would fire my Lumia 1520 up, load the apps I need, then sell this android phone or put it in a drawer (where my 1520 sits) for a backup phone.

Sent from my AT&T HTC One M8, running the ViperOne M8 ROM via Tapatalk.

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Looks like an iPhone is in the cards for me. Must be that and flip phones that are the only thing in our near future that aren't using Android.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If they did, I would fire my Lumia 1520 up, load the apps I need, then sell this android phone or put it in a drawer (where my 1520 sits) for a backup phone.

Out of curiosity... can you say which Android apps you'd use and explain why you would prefer to run those apps on WP, rather than on Android?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I really don't see what the big deal is. Blackberry has their own store and they run Android apps and look how well they are doing. The support for the Blackberry OS/store is still exemplary! /s

I think Microsoft is going through a mid-life crisis. I give them support as they go through it, but if they come out of the crisis supporting Android; then I may need to join Android Central.

So far , it doesn't look too good. I thought they bought Nokia to give WP the premier experience. Not to put Android on Nokia (X) and enable sideload of Android apps on WP.

There goes my pride in WP, bring back Steve Balmer already.

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Facebook, WhatsApp and Twitter etc. Some of the biggest apps around and we still don't have a fully functioning, full featured version of them. No excuse after all this time. Just because we have an app doesn't mean we should be happy with the poor quality. Bring on Android apps on WP if that's the rumour!

Since 8.1 does away with much of the people hub functionality, and throws you into the Facebook app, let's face it, both current Facebook apps on Windows Phone are terrible. This includes the one in Beta, and the non-Beta that looks like a Symbian app from 2010.

Windows Phone 8.1, in fact, for social networking, is not a very good device. You need a go around third party app for Instagram for fricks sake, as the official app is still considered 'Beta' as well.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't think it's that big of a deal that MS sells Android apps in the WP store, I don't think it's a big deal to have my Lumia run and android app . I do have a problem with if Microsoft starts making Android devices by Nokia or Microsoft.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There seems to be a consensus that Microsoft can't run or offer Android apps. There is a precedent for this, back in the 80s GM sold re-badged Toyotas under the Geo brand. Fact is, this was happening up until a year or two ago with the Pontiac Vibe/ Toyota Matrix twins. Both conglomerates benefited from the arrangement and no one jumped off a tall bridge because of it. Lighten up people.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using WPCentral Forums mobile app

prasath1234

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
If Microsoft go that way I will not install those android apps nd use my existing wp apps with live tiles but those wp native apps will not be updated I know for sure.I will use wp as phone just for calling nd messaging.nd for apps I will carry my android perhaps I will buy Moto G.or xiomi mi 3 for apps.no way I will leave wp.I will use 2 separate phones.

Sent from my C2305 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Last edited:

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
There seems to be a consensus that Microsoft can't run or offer Android apps. There is a precedent for this, back in the 80s GM sold re-badged Toyotas under the Geo brand. Fact is, this was happening up until a year or two ago with the Pontiac Vibe/ Toyota Matrix twins. Both conglomerates benefited from the arrangement and no one jumped off a tall bridge because of it. Lighten up people.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using WPCentral Forums mobile app
yeah but we're is Pontiac today? And yeah no more Toyota matrix in USA......is that were WP and all the dev support going? ......bye bye?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiosity... can you say which Android apps you'd use and explain why you would prefer to run those apps on WP, rather than on Android?
yeah that would be ridiculous......if you got almost a million android apps why use it on a WP......just buy an android and it would probably run better since there optimized for androids

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss