I say NO to Android apps on WP

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter what happened to Pontiac or anybody else, the point is that major manufacturers have banded together before without their customers belly-aching and threatening to burn their LeBron jerseys. I think people need to grow up and understand how the real world works. If devs leave the platform over this, good riddance.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using WPCentral Forums mobile app
I understand your point but unlike os's there are tons of different cars to choose from and plenty of good NBA players to cry over but us phone junkies and those who want a good os backed with awesome hardware only have three choices...the good,better and best.....that's it. I love my windows phone but lets be honest our apps and support are no were near IOS and android app support even from Ms there support is better....way better so how would our dev support get better if they find out we can download android apps? No more windows phone apps? Only android apps? I've lost all steam here at my shop were at one point they considered WP maybe after wp8.11 but now they ask me " wanna switch to android with us instead........more apps..........more and better dev support ( even from Ms). Better phone selection......higher end phones don't lag .now out of those android apps that Nokia is testing ........any signs of official YouTube? And now with Nokia android......why pick Wp?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I think of peeps want Android apps go buy a Samsung, HTC, etc. Android n iOS started out with no apps n they've done alright, so makes u think WP can't do the same???
Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I guess my question is valid then rodan, since it neither implies nor assumes anything of the kind. There is no hidden agenda. It's just a simple question. I just want to know what others think about it.

All the questions have context, assumptions and agenda, without them it would be involuntary, irrational talk without meaning, that could be called dementia.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
All the questions have context, assumptions and agenda, without them it would be involuntary, irrational talk without meaning, that could be called dementia.

No it could not be called dementia, and it certainly doesn't make you clever saying it does. Dementia is a severe and devastating disease, it's not a joke in an argument.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No it could not be called dementia, and it certainly doesn't make you clever saying it does. Dementia is a severe and devastating disease, it's not a joke in an argument.

Don't go off topic Chregu. I'm sure nobody is interested in discussing the etymology of the word "Dementia". The internet is there if you're interested.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I see no reason for you to get all passive-aggressive rodan. I really don't want to argue with you. It feels to me like we agree on almost everything, but this one issue somehow stands in the way of us getting along. I don't see why that should be a problem.

Yes, all questions have context. I never said otherwise.

Yes, all questions include assumptions. It's just that this particular question of mine isn't making the assumption you think it is. In fact, it has nothing to do with it at all. Completely different topic.

Yes, all questions have agendas. What I said is that I have no hidden agenda. I just want to learn what people with an opinion different from my own think. Is that so diabolical?

Can we move on?

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
That was neither a rhetorical nor a trick question. I'm genuinely curious why oditius (or anyone else for that matter) would prefer to run Android apps on WP rather than just get a real Android device? So far I haven't seen anybody answer that question.

If a majority agrees with whatever the answer is, I think that might go a long way towards convincing people that WP still has a role to play in such a world. On the other hand, if the reasons seem misguided or unpopular/irrelevant to most, then that might indicate that WP really would be in for a rough time once WP is able to run Android apps.

So, Oditius? Anybody?

Personally,I wouldn't want to. Even though a limited amount of Android apps would be available,it would not eliminate the app gap completely,and it would stop any real developing on the ones we can access. There is no need for any competition and I personally believe will harm WP in the end by eliminating the need to develop for WP. The larger audience is in the Android app store and for those running Android and the devs will have to code for both or be shut out from the larger audience. I'm sure some will,just for the love of the platform,but,how many of the most sought after apps are built just for S&G's for the live of it..Most who develops have a lot of time and money invested in it,and want some kind of return for their work.

The solution I mentioned early is the best approach, for those who want to develop....and also benefits the end user too by stimulating growth,and allowing choice,and opening the doors to a larger audience to have the opportunity for a high end WP with all of the inherent benefits available for the platform.

Why buy a half baked pie,when you can get 2 of the best fully cooked for a little more?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Don't go off topic Chregu. I'm sure nobody is interested in discussing the etymology of the word "Dementia". The internet is there if you're interested.

No, there's nothing to discuss, it's very clear.

Dementia is a broad category of brain diseases that cause long term loss of the ability to think and reason clearly that is severe enough to affect a person's daily functioning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia

I hope you will never suffer from dementia or have to experience somebody suffering from it. And if you already do or did I'm astonished that you still use this word in a context like this.

As of the off topic issues, I see most of the recent posts as being off topic.

But to be on topic. I strongly believe that allowing Android apps on Windows Phone would hurt native App development in quite some extent. Many of the big companies already do it only to have some app in the store, they have usually a pretty bad quality and are lacking in features. If they can just switch to re-release their Android app to get it to Windows Phone, why shouldn't they do it?

boxa72

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ur exactly right coz if I was developing for Windows Phone (which I will be) n Android apps were allowed on WP I would just code for Android n hit both markets simultaneously rather than worrying about coding for WP at all!!!

GokulChandran

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Its just a rubbish thing it will make the existing windows phone users to migrate to android this is not the way to attract the android users this will a foolish idea

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I see no reason for you to get all passive-aggressive rodan. I really don't want to argue with you. It feels to me like we agree on almost everything, but this one issue somehow stands in the way of us getting along. I don't see why that should be a problem.

Yes, all questions have context. I never said otherwise.

Yes, all questions include assumptions. It's just that this particular question of mine isn't making the assumption you think it is. In fact, it has nothing to do with it at all. Completely different topic.

Yes, all questions have agendas. What I said is that I have no hidden agenda. I just want to learn what people with an opinion different from my own think. Is that so diabolical?

Can we move on?

It's not aggression, it's reduction to absurdity, -which implies that It would be absurd to claim that-.

You repeat that the question doesn't have the assumption i believe it has, but people is addressing the question with that assumption and you don't explain the different aspect that you're trying to address.

So, at the end is the same chat all the time. "Oh, native development will die, all the native apps will disappear, who would prefer to run the android apps on WP, WP will die, Microsoft is killing WP, I hate Microsoft, I'm buying an Android/iphone"

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
So, at the end is the same chat all the time. "Oh, native development will die, all the native apps will disappear, who would prefer to run the android apps on WP, WP will die, Microsoft is killing WP, I hate Microsoft, I'm buying an Android/iphone"

Yes, some respond in that manner, but they can do so only by refusing to accept the premise of my question. There isn't much I can do about that.

I'll try to be more direct about the intended audience:

To those who like the idea of running Android apps on WP: If Android apps come to WP, at that point, where do you see the appeal in the WP platform? Why would you prefer to run those apps on WP, as opposed to running them on an Android device?

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
No, there's nothing to discuss, it's very clear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia

I hope you will never suffer from dementia or have to experience somebody suffering from it. And if you already do or did I'm astonished that you still use this word in a context like this.

The word has other more "casual" meanings. You chose to interpret a particular one, that's quite recent, in the domain of mental health, because of you're background. And then you have an emotional reaction trying to drag me to your subjectivity.

Ok, I accept that, I empathize with you.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The word has other more "casual" meanings. You chose to interpret a particular one, that's quite recent, in the domain of mental health, because of you're background. And then you have an emotional reaction trying to drag me to your subjectivity.

You can't just decide to give a word a meaning. Dementia as a word is well defined by all English dictionaries. I don't even know why we are discussing that, you have made a very bad choice of words, and now you are trying to avoid admitting it by behaving like a sulky child.

But okay, I accept that, I empathize with you.

To answer your question: It really depends on how Microsoft would manage to implement these Android apps. If they would run as smoothly as native apps, if they were well integrated with hardware, notification center and live tiles, yes, I would very much welcome them on my current device. I don't know much about these things, I don't know whether such an implementation is possible. However, if they would just run as badly as on BB, no, then I definitely wouldn't want them at all.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You can't just decide to give a word a meaning. Dementia as a word is well defined by all English dictionaries. I don't even know why we are discussing that, you have made a very bad choice of words, and now you are trying to avoid admitting it by behaving like a sulky child.

But okay, I accept that, I empathize with you.

Wikipedia is not a dictionary, it's an encyclopedia. So, you should check a dictionary now, for example Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: de?men?tia

Pronunciation: \di-ˈmen(t)-shə, -shē-ə\

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin, from dement-, demens mad, from de- + ment-, mens mind ? more at mind

Date: 1806

1 : a usually progressive condition (as Alzheimer's disease) marked by deteriorated cognitive functioning often with emotional apathy 2 : madness, insanity <a fanaticism bordering on dementia>

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Wikipedia is not a dictionary, it's an encyclopedia. So, you should check a dictionary now, for example Merriam-Webster:

You really don't get the point. Do you think stating that you use dementia as a synonym to insanity in this context makes things better, based on this? Did you read the rest of the page you are referring to?

Just for your information: Dementia dictionary definition | dementia defined

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
You really don't get the point. Do you think stating that you use dementia as a synonym to insanity in this context makes things better, based on this? Did you read the rest of the page you are referring to?

Just for your information: Dementia dictionary definition | dementia defined

Come on Chregu, you're off topic. There is an "Off Topic" forum where you can post a new thread to discuss that.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Come on Chregu, you're off topic. There is an "Off Topic" forum where you can post a new thread to discuss that.

I was answering to your on topic question, you went on posting off topic stuff. So please get back to topic.

I'm still wondering how you would think these Android apps could be implemented in a way that keeps the Windows Phone experience intact. Do you have any ideas?

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
I think of peeps want Android apps go buy a Samsung, HTC, etc. Android n iOS started out with no apps n they've done alright, so makes u think WP can't do the same???
Sent from my Lumia 925 8.1

Because when Android launched, there was only iOS as a competitor - it was available only on AT&T in the US and even the App Store wasn't that great. Verizon used Android as a defense against ATT's iPhones and that was what truly started off Android's growth. Secondly, all the Asian OEMs wanted to get their share of this pie but they really sucked at writing software (though their hardware is good). Android provided them a readymade OS which they could customise to their needs and the Galaxy series was born.

Android and iOS basically settled the Old West, when there was little opposition and nobody stopped them. They have now built fortifications around their territory. WP's battle is more like storming the enemy's castle.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss