I say NO to Android apps on WP

Thomas Jordan

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
There are alot of rumours about Microsoft bringing Android apps to WP. I think this is a terrible idea. I love WP but if they do this what would be the point of WP. No developers would bother with not just WP but Windows apps for PC either. More and more official apps are coming every week. I know where still far behind the others. But its getting better and I think if they just stick with it the Windows eco system will continue to grow. What do you all think?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol most of the droid apps would not even be able to get into our store, because of the bad security measures... So im not against it if MS keeps the standard very high :) Also if some apps can actually qualify for our store then I see no reason to keep them out

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
There are alot of rumours about Microsoft bringing Android apps to WP. I think this is a terrible idea. I love WP but if they do this what would be the point of WP. No developers would bother with not just WP but Windows apps for PC either. More and more official apps are coming every week. I know where still far behind the others. But its getting better and I think if they just stick with it the Windows eco system will continue to grow. What do you all think?

I was against this when first mentioned also.

Perhaps this is not a bad idea to cross platform. Now I feel that this could be a good thing for the hardware.

Besides MSFT best years were when they were allied with Google way back then. It will be very comfortable to see them united again.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Now that Android is improving and it runs quite well in low end hardware, the advantages of WP are disappearing and the app gap is still huge.

Windows Phone could die without apps. Android apps should be a priority for Microsoft.

Android apps complement native development.

Popular apps will always be native because they appeal to a number of users that justify native development to maximize the profits.

For mid-size apps, that in WP have a subset of the features and many bugs, Android apps are a better alternative.

Most of the small apps won't come to WP because developers can't finance the cost of development for such a small user base, so Android apps would be the only alternative.

The OS is important only for geeks. People buy an experience and without apps Windows Phone is a lower quality product. Now that Android is good in low end hardware the reasons to buy a Windows Phone are harder to find.

Last edited:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol i did not buy my phone for the apps, but because of the functionality.. The idea of being able to readily edit my documents on the go with my phone was just to appealing to say no.. so imo people still have a lot of reasons to stick to windows phone... Plus if we get android apps the reasons to get a WP increase.. 8.1 functionality + no lag + no app gap (android apps) = one helluva phone :p

BitPusher2600

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
After several years of loyalty I recently ditched my BlackBerry Q10 due to this same thing, the Amazon app store announcement and all. If this happens, geez. The only thing left that isn't (more or less) Android powered is Apple. Eek :(

maclancer

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Lol i did not buy my phone for the apps, but because of the functionality.. The idea of being able to readily edit my documents on the go with my phone was just to appealing to say no.. so imo people still have a lot of reasons to stick to windows phone... Plus if we get android apps the reasons to get a WP increase.. 8.1 functionality + no lag + no app gap (android apps) = one helluva phone :p
Same here, I rather have a Windows Phone with the tools that we have in Windows 8.1 desktop than having apps that I will not care about it.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
After several years of loyalty I recently ditched my BlackBerry Q10 due to this same thing, the Amazon app store announcement and all. If this happens, geez. The only thing left that isn't (more or less) Android powered is Apple. Eek :(

But that is a good thing. I think.
OEMs have a equal opportunity to compete in the market.

Unlike Apple. MSFT and Google share their wealth with the world. Everyone eats.

MSFT and Google joining forces again. Will demonstrate that Apple is the only Evil and greedy Empire.

osars ehi

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Why are some of you talking as if allowing and android apps to run on windows phone would mean immediate growth in WP, why would I want to buy a windows phone to run android apps. It doesn't seem to be working for blackberry and yet some of you think it would magically work for us.

If it is eventually allowed then it would be the beginning of a slow death of the windows platform (the platform as a whole including the desktop and tablet OS).

It all falls down to how it would be implemented. If installing android apps is not as easy as going to the store and clicking download then am afraid it would just be a waste. I mean why go through the hassle of side-loading android apps when I can just buy an android phone.

I am Sure google will not sit down and watch this happen smoothly for Microsoft. They will definitely have something to say or do about it.

Guys be patient there have been many official apps coming in recently, they might not be up to standard but they are there. If gameloft, blackberry and Disney among others can see the point in investing in our platform then there is surely hope. Lets wait and see what these new oems coming in to play can do for the future growth of the platform.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

The good performance of WP in low end hardware made the L520 the bestseller phone in that segment worldwide. And also helped the sales of the other devices with 512mb of ram.
The sales of WP in the high-end segment are insignificant.
So, if Android is improving and closing the performance advantage, sales of WP devices could suffer a lot.

That's right, there are many reasons to buy a WP, but you have to analyze the more important factors that explain most of the sales.

So, Microsoft has to build a new advantage or close the main disadvantage, the app gap.

For me it would be really good to have Android apps even if they perform badly. There are many apps in my country that won't come to WP any time soon. I can't access my bank, I can't access some government services, the support of WP in local apps is almost nonexistent.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Why are some of you talking as if allowing and android apps to run on windows phone would mean immediate growth in WP, why would I want to buy a windows phone to run android apps. It doesn't seem to be working for blackberry and yet some of you think it would magically work for us.

If it is eventually allowed then it would be the beginning of a slow death of the windows platform (the platform as a whole including the desktop and tablet OS).

It all falls down to how it would be implemented. If installing android apps is not as easy as going to the store and clicking download then am afraid it would just be a waste. I mean why go through the hassle of side-loading android apps when I can just buy an android phone.

I am Sure google will not sit down and watch this happen smoothly for Microsoft. They will definitely have something to say or do about it.

Android apps would help sales because they add a lot of value to the platform. WP native apps wouldn't instantly disappear if MS support Android apps. Many adjustments would occur slowly, the immediate effect would be give access to WP users to hundreds of thousands of apps.

Google doesn't own the Android apps. Developers can submit their apps to multiple stores. For example the amazon store. Microsoft would use the apps of the Nokia X store.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
The day I see android apps come to windows phone is the day I look to move to iPhone. I don't want anything google related near my os and that just shows that Microsoft is throwing in the towel.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Android is very open, and apps have access to almost anything. WP has very limited APIs. I would think that there are a lot of Android apps that wouldn't work properly because of that.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Android is very open, and apps have access to almost anything. WP has very limited APIs. I would think that there are a lot of Android apps that wouldn't work properly because of that.

Exactly... So the ones that do pass the qualification procedure should be welcomed

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
In general... To be honest the app gap doesn't really bother me.. So yea Android has more than us, but how many are functional? if they have one that is functional then i would love for one of our devs to work on a similar app, but most of them are just gimmicks that fill up their store.. Same goes for Iphone (I think)

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site

Office 365 now exists for Android and is in some cases better than the Office suite on WP.

AG VK

Banned
Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
In general... To be honest the app gap doesn't really bother me.. So yea Android has more than us, but how many are functional? if they have one that is functional then i would love for one of our devs to work on a similar app, but most of them are just gimmicks that fill up their store.. Same goes for Iphone (I think)

Clearly you have never used Android or iOS, or you are wilfully making false statements. The app gap is real and dismissing the hundreds of useful apps on other platforms calling them "gimmicks" is nothing less than stupid.

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Clearly you have never used Android or iOS, or you are wilfully making false statements. The app gap is real and dismissing the hundreds of useful apps on other platforms calling them "gimmicks" is nothing less than stupid.

Easy cowboy. Yes the app gap is real. But the OP is saying that the app gap does mot affect him. He is not alone there are many like him.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Lol @agvk... Ehm you could've easily made your statement without calling me stupid... Nonetheless I wont stoop to that level.... At the end of my comment I clearly added I think! Which means "no I'm not sure, but this is how I see it" place some emphasis on me not being sure and MY POINT OF VIEW... Furthermore there was a study about just this topic not so long ago, but I wont go into that... As for your concerns with my other comment.... I said that was my reason to buy a windowsphone and for that reason I would definitely recommend it to others! But I'm not biased so I also tell those people that office is available on their own platform however I (again emphasis) find it handier to have a windowsphone and a windows system... For the future instead of calling someone or their statement stupid just state why that person is or might be wrong, because to do otherwise would simply be idiotic :) (Oh and I'm sticking to my point of view on this particular topic....)

misfitpierce

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
As it was said, Microsoft standards for security are most strict which is great for security reasons. Android has all sorts of buggy crap and malware in market now. Emulated side load apps would run slower usually and take more resources like how they didn't run too well on bb. I say its whatever for an option as some ppl may enjoy the option but it seems like google might pick a bone with Microsoft somehow just because they seem to want to feud with MS always.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb