Best Buy and Windows Phone

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've made all my Windows phone and recent Microsoft hardware\accessory purchases on-line.
I've been in the Microsoft store here a few times recently and I found it a very pleasant experience.
I can see BB not trying too hard with an MS store in site (my locale)

I would most likely just make any future purchases from Microsoft in their store.
Admittedly I'm not a large fan of Best Buy.

I haven't been inside a Best Buy store in over a year, and I drive past it every time I go to Starbucks (which is very often--at least twice a week, sometimes every day a week).

I do purchase new phones from the AT&T store, but the one in my neighbourhood is actually very Windows Phone friendly. The last time I was there was to get a screen protector, which I ordered online but had delivered to the local store (so I could get an AT&T employee to install it for me, as I'm terrible at installing screen protectors). I spotted 3 different AT&T store employees who took the 1520 out of their pockets.

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy is nothing more than a tech showroom. They have farmed out 35% of their floor space to Samsung and Microsoft specific space. Honestly I'm surprised they don't have a WP section in their MS store.

Anyway I like WP, but MS needs to cover the development cost for any of the top apps. Once those apps reach a certain penetration point the devs pay MS back. Everyone wins.

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Stop lying to others and yourself. Windows Phone is here to stay.

In recent months, the Windows Phone ecosystem has really taken off and has shown more life than we’ve ever seen in its prior two years of existence.

Mobile Phone App Store Statistics | Statistic Brain

I think these numbers are really interesting.

So Android has almost 30 billion app downloads in 2014. Windows has a little more than 4 billion. With 62 % and 58 % people seem to show about the same willingness to pay for apps. Still, the app store revenue is for both around one billion?

If this were true, so much less people would pay so much more for Windows Phone apps when looking at marketshare, even if we ignore the 7.5 times higher downloads on Android.

I really can't understand how this is supposed to work. But if it's true, we should tell that all the developers, because then it would make much more sense to release apps for Windows Phone than for Andoid as the competition is so much lower with 220k apps rather than 850k apps and already these 220k apps make as much money as the 850k apps on Android.

Well, without real sources I might have wasted too much thoughts on this already.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
The Best Buys here in St.Louis areas don't sell Windows phone or their accessories,so count yourself lucky 🍀
While I am not all doom and gloom for WP to roll over and die 💀 anytime soon,I don't think it is ever going to be a strong contender unless they get someone in touch with reality that truly understands what we here in the USA wants,and not just what they think we do.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
How about Amazon.com? Many people in the US order smartphones online, not from big box stores. Amazon.com is probably more popular than Best Buy (and probably the main reason for Best Buy's declining sales). Amazon.com carries Windows Phones for all major US carriers and unlocked devices too.

There are plenty of good sites to buy gadgets from - eBay, Swappa, Negri, Expansys, 1shopmobile, Newegg. Even the WPC Marketplace offers great phones at great prices from community members. I have actually not bought a smartphone in a brick and mortar store and have owned one since the WindowsMobile days...

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I think these numbers are really interesting.

So Android has almost 30 billion app downloads in 2014. Windows has a little more than 4 billion. With 62 % and 58 % people seem to show about the same willingness to pay for apps. Still, the app store revenue is for both around one billion?

If this were true, so much less people would pay so much more for Windows Phone apps when looking at marketshare, even if we ignore the 7.5 times higher downloads on Android.

I really can't understand how this is supposed to work. But if it's true, we should tell that all the developers, because then it would make much more sense to release apps for Windows Phone than for Andoid as the competition is so much lower with 220k apps rather than 850k apps and already these 220k apps make as much money as the 850k apps on Android.

Well, without real sources I might have wasted too much thoughts on this already.

There is lies the real conundrum:)

vincelac

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I noticed the lack of WP in Best Buy this past weekend. It is a shame, but not surprising. I don't know many people who even think about going to a store like Best Buy or Radio Shack to buy their phones anymore. In my experiences those stores don't have functioning models while the carrier store will (which I believe is the primary reason one would go out to a store to try a phone). The real thing to keep an eye on is whether or not your local Microsoft stores are busy. The more people going in to check out WP, Surface, and OEM devices, the better. I noticed a few people waiting to check out the Surface Pro 3 during my latest Best Buy venture and notice more RTs around my college campus every month.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The thing with Best Buy is that they attempt to be the best device/gadget store around. However, all you have to do is get a Best Buy sales rep to open his or her mouth about a product and it becomes painfully apparent that they are clueless beyond commercial taglines and specs. I never understood why so many people take the words of a high school or early college student as those of an expert just because they are wearing a BB shirt. I consider them for what they are...sales people. Even the Geek Squad...not experts. They are not there to explain a product to me. I do all of my research before I even step foot in the door...if I even go into one. It's unfortunate that BB shuns Windows Phone, yes, but, there are a lot more places to buy them. I, for one, wish Walmart would step up to the plate more. Walmart is an iPhone powerhouse. Just a little more Walmart love would do wonders.

Posted from a little cabin on the summit of Olympus Mons.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
The thing with Best Buy is that they attempt to be the best device/gadget store around. However, all you have to do is get a Best Buy sales rep to open his or her mouth about a product and it becomes painfully apparent that they are clueless beyond commercial taglines and specs. I never understood why so many people take the words of a high school or early college student as those of an expert just because they are wearing a BB shirt. I consider them for what they are...sales people. Even the Geek Squad...not experts. They are not there to explain a product to me. I do all of my research before I even step foot in the door...if I even go into one. It's unfortunate that BB shuns Windows Phone, yes, but, there are a lot more places to buy them. I, for one, wish Walmart would step up to the plate more. Walmart is an iPhone powerhouse. Just a little more Walmart love would do wonders.

Posted from a little cabin on the summit of Olympus Mons.

True about BB...
Used to spend quite a bit of the dollars at BB.
Checking the wayback machine I had gotten some excellent close out deals there on Klipcsh speakers and other semi audiophile stuff.
The store here in Roseville has realigned it's sales floor so many times I can never find much.

As mentioned previous they push what they think you want up front...I always walk right past that.
I do enjoy the parting question "Did you find what you were looking for today?" they really don't mean it or care as long as you drop a dollar or two.
I give varying answers based on grumpiness level.
:smile:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
True about BB...
Used to spend quite a bit of the dollars at BB.
Checking the wayback machine I had gotten some excellent close out deals there on Klipcsh speakers and other semi audiophile stuff.
The store here in Roseville has realigned it's sales floor so many times I can never find much.

As mentioned previous they push what they think you want up front...I always walk right past that.
I do enjoy the parting question "Did you find what you were looking for today?" they really don't mean it or care as long as you drop a dollar or two.
I give varying answers based on grumpiness level.
:smile:

Yeah, every once in a while I've found myself in BB snagging some sweet deal. In fact, I bought a 520 there super cheap after seeing the deal posted on WPCentral back in April... I think April. Our store here has done the same thing, largely to make room for the gigantic Samsung displays.
I'll have to remember the parting words based on grumpiness routine that you do. I get tired of answering with a "yes" even though it's plainly visible that I have nothing in my hands. lol I wonder if they think I'm a just a liar??? ha ha

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
LOL know what I hate about even going into BB now...the 15 people that ask me if I need help.
I wish they'd just hand me a button or something and leave me a lone. If I want help I'll ask for it.

wpnokia920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
LOL know what I hate about even going into BB now...the 15 people that ask me if I need help.
I wish they'd just hand me a button or something and leave me a lone. If I want help I'll ask for it.

amen, thought I was only one who hated to be helped. If I need help I'll ask. And there's never a time I don't know way more then them

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas