Best Buy and Windows Phone

DrNitun

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I was surprised in how marketing is set up at my local Best Buy here in Phoenix.

Microsoft has a big store-front type of an appearance in the computer/laptop section. Kudos!!!

Samsung and Apple, on the other hand, had the big display and marketing in the mobile phones section. Windows Phone was nowhere to be found!!!!!

Best Buy was not promoting anything with Windows Phone. And on top of it, new phone users were signing up (due to a promotion Best Buy is running for all their phones and carriers) with Samsung and Apple devices!

Microsoft....what is going on here??

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Nothing new ! I'm not trolling or hijacking but it obvious WP is on the way out the door ! And I'm very sad but I think its time to stop lying to myself and come to realize its not getting better were it needs to! I hear WP central is changing .....how convenient if they change it to Ms central they win because in all Ms as a whole is doing alot better than wp! No more ads no ads in store none! I wish they would just be honest with us and tell us what's really going on....whether it be bad or good well be ok just be honest......

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Nothing new ! I'm not trolling or hijacking but it obvious WP is on the way out the door ! And I'm very sad but I think its time to stop lying to myself and come to realize its not getting better were it needs to! I hear WP central is changing .....how convenient if they change it to Ms central they win because in all Ms as a whole is doing alot better than wp! No more ads no ads in store none! I wish they would just be honest with us and tell us what's really going on....whether it be bad or good well be ok just be honest......

If WP is out of the door then what's the point of making universal apps. Making WP free. It's you don't understand Satya vision. He knows that MS needs control over their ecosystem.

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
As has been said in other threads, MS just really need to step up their advertising on WP. They may have made a loss with the massive Surface branding but the flow-on effect got people talking. They're just scared of another loss

k0de

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site

Stop lying to others and yourself. Windows Phone is here to stay.

In recent months, the Windows Phone ecosystem has really taken off and has shown more life than we?ve ever seen in its prior two years of existence.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/mobile-phone-app-store-statistics/

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
BestBuy and all other brick and mortar store fronts are pretty much at the mercy of what sells and what doesn't
Here in the US all pointed electronics gadget sellers bow mostly to the holiday buying season.

I would say BB doesn't dislike WP offerings it's just a matter of business.
Any retailer won't push items that just sit on the shelves.

We have a BestBuy an Apple Store and a Microsoft store pretty much in the same shopping center here.
The Apple and Microsoft stores are always jammed...the BestBuy is only busy on Christmas.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Stop lying to others and yourself. Windows Phone is here to stay.

In recent months, the Windows Phone ecosystem has really taken off and has shown more life than we?ve ever seen in its prior two years of existence.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/mobile-phone-app-store-statistics/
Really? Your working with those stats? How about some real stats! Like those showing market share drop in I'm sorry to admit but the most important markets! Not Spain or .....south America or Antarctica! Here in the us and china! You really think we have all the app needed? Nope! We don't here on wpc they did a comparison on WP apps to IOS apps and it was a sad result! Go to an att .....any one you pick ask for a phone you think there gonna sell you a WP? Apps show up then disappear then show up then disappear then when it returns its in beta......sweet huh? Your stats show that were doing a little better than bb...you really think that's saying much? I keep hitting my self with the old Jedi mind trick that WP will be right up there with the big boys but look at the numbers...... It's not going to happen and not any time soon. the vicious cycle...... No users no devs no apps....no apps no users........no users no devs etc etc. Break the cycle!! And if you can't........then you can't.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
As has been said in other threads, MS just really need to step up their advertising on WP. They may have made a loss with the massive Surface branding but the flow-on effect got people talking. They're just scared of another loss

I have to agree. All they have to do is advertise. Nokia was doing all of the marketing for wp...now that lumia is Microsoft its up to them to market it how it should be.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
[WARN]Stay calm please!
This thread is going off topic.[/WARN]​
Sorry seems lil I'm loosing leverage with WP short comings! It seamed awesome at first but because maybe I read wrong or lead on to believe that by now we would be right next to ios and android on were it counts but there just way to ahead. In features maybe but its not features that are keeping them away from WP, its every thing else you name it marketing, app gap etc! Alot of theses at guys at ms are on contract and already got paid to try something out ....didn't work....oh well got paid anyway.really sad because with some effort WP could have been sweet !

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Sorry seems lil I'm loosing leverage with WP short comings! It seamed awesome at first but because maybe I read wrong or lead on to believe that by now we would be right next to ios and android on were it counts but there just way to ahead. In features maybe but its not features that are keeping them away from WP, its every thing else you name it marketing, app gap etc! Alot of theses at guys at ms are on contract and already got paid to try something out ....didn't work....oh well got paid anyway.really sad because with some effort WP could have been sweet !
Best Buy itself is in trouble. The only reason it returned to profitability this quarter is because of cost-cutting measures, not increased sales.

badr0b0t

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I was surprised in how marketing is set up at my local Best Buy here in Phoenix.

Microsoft has a big store-front type of an appearance in the computer/laptop section. Kudos!!!

Samsung and Apple, on the other hand, had the big display and marketing in the mobile phones section. Windows Phone was nowhere to be found!!!!!

Best Buy was not promoting anything with Windows Phone. And on top of it, new phone users were signing up (due to a promotion Best Buy is running for all their phones and carriers) with Samsung and Apple devices!

Microsoft....what is going on here??

It doesn't matter. If someone really wants a windows phone, he/she will get it from any source. Nokia Lumia 1520 is not available here in Canada. I got one from Amazon (unlocked).

http://www.amazon.ca/Nokia-1520-Unlocked-Smartphone-LUMIA1520BK/dp/B00H2BJ7WC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404604624&sr=8-1&keywords=nokia+1520

Cheers!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy itself is in trouble. The only reason it returned to profitability this quarter is because of cost-cutting measures, not increased sales.
maybe but its definitely doing alot better than WP and its not on Only the best buy stores its mainly carrier stores that are always selling out WP! I got to best buy for washers and dryers bot phones........maybe a tv so if best buy fails oh well we still have WalMart but would really hate to see WP go but where it needs to dominate to stay alive( USA) its not doing good and neither is bb! About a billion people know more about best buy than WP ! If they knew about WP as much they are familiar with best buy......we would be in good shape! So in comparison if beat buy is in trouble .......where's WP?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
maybe but its definitely doing alot better than WP and its not on Only the best buy stores its mainly carrier stores that are always selling out WP! I got to best buy for washers and dryers bot phones........maybe a tv so if best buy fails oh well we still have WalMart but would really hate to see WP go but where it needs to dominate to stay alive( USA) its not doing good and neither is bb! About a billion people know more about best buy than WP ! If they knew about WP as much they are familiar with best buy......we would be in good shape! So in comparison if beat buy is in trouble .......where's WP?
How about Amazon.com? Many people in the US order smartphones online, not from big box stores. Amazon.com is probably more popular than Best Buy (and probably the main reason for Best Buy's declining sales). Amazon.com carries Windows Phones for all major US carriers and unlocked devices too.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Someone needs to light a fire in Ms *** like yesterday! We can beg companies for apps obviously not working or we would have a billion apps . The perception is " WP? There no apps on WP" no matter where you go! Even if the person only really has maybe 10 apps on them. But I give up telling them differently! Ms hasn't helped at all!

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
How about Amazon.com? Many people in the US order smartphones online, not from big box stores. Amazon.com is probably more popular than Best Buy (and probably the main reason for Best Buy's declining sales). Amazon.com carries Windows Phones for all major US carriers and unlocked devices too.
your right but my point is that whether it be best buy amazon att Verizon eBay what ever ,with all those outlets for WP to fly out of.....its just not happening! You do research on a product when buying from amazon too buy if you no idea whether a product exists ...what do you look for ! I run a stereo shop.....i advertise on facebook like there's no tomorrow why? I need to sell my products! Flyers newspaper ads you name it! It's not hard and i don't have an1/8 of Ms money . WP are awesome products hands down but come Ms it begins with carriers ! If a person shop at amazon eBay or where ever they'll still stop at a store to see it and shop it on line but the still talked to someone first to get some insight! At att stores you get insights alright......and its not about WP. Not in mine or many others experience. Sorry just ranting

trekgraham

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I'd say it's a combination of many elements, advertising is a part,apps and games a part. What gets me is the majority is not tech savvy, with the number of people who own Windows PCs its amazing how many buy a device developed by the largest search engine in the world. Plus with Google's reputation for killing popular projects for no reason its even more confusing. Personally I think once we get more apps, and Samsung decides to go away from Android for a in house OS you will find the market share shrink for Android.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
your right but my point is that whether it be best buy amazon att Verizon eBay what ever ,with all those outlets for WP to fly out of.....its just not happening! You do research on a product when buying from amazon too buy if you no idea whether a product exists ...what do you look for ! I run a stereo shop.....i advertise on facebook like there's no tomorrow why? I need to sell my products! Flyers newspaper ads you name it! It's not hard and i don't have an1/8 of Ms money . WP are awesome products hands down but come Ms it begins with carriers ! If a person shop at amazon eBay or where ever they'll still stop at a store to see it and shop it on line but the still talked to someone first to get some insight! At att stores you get insights alright......and its not about WP. Not in mine or many others experience. Sorry just ranting

I think it depends on the consumer. I purchased an ultrabook from Amazon.com without trying it or even looking at it in a brick and mortar store.

Editguy1900

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site

Sure, they bought Nokia's devices division for billions just so they can shut it down. Sheesh...

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I've made all my Windows phone and recent Microsoft hardware\accessory purchases on-line.
I've been in the Microsoft store here a few times recently and I found it a very pleasant experience.
I can see BB not trying too hard with an MS store in sight (my locale)

I would most likely just make any future purchases from Microsoft in their store.
Admittedly I'm not a large fan of Best Buy.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo