My thoughts on Microsoft.

Bballbenb

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Is to safe to say that Microsoft is moving in the software direction? I was a windows phone user and I am a PC user, so don't get me wrong, I am not at all bashing their products. I think they have great ones, but I can't help but think they are moving more towards software, aside from the Xbox.

Microsoft obviously makes money off ads like all the other big ones, but they also have made a lot of their revenue off of Office (Businesses mainly, consumers, etc). I think it is safe to say that people are pretty much going with iPhones and Androids based on the latest ComScores. Obviously, this can change, but we have all been saying that for 3 years now! For consumers, especially businesses, to continue using Microsoft Office, they had to get their services on iPhones. It was a must. Most IT departments, that are not BYOD, do not even offer Androids or Windows Phones, it is basically iPhones and Blackberries aka iPhones only.

I do like the growing relationship between the two. Bing works well with Apple products. Apple also does not offer much of a business suite. Companies are basically choosing between Microsoft and Google. Microsoft realizes they are lacking in the phone department with businesses so they are doing their best to integrate their services. I am sure Apple will eventually offer a full-on business suite, but for now its Google apps or Microsoft Office 365.

These are just all my thoughts. I have read a lot of hate on here about how Microsoft is giving up by allowing apps on iOS. No they are far from giving up...They are making wise decisions. Bravo, Microsoft, Bravo.

cesarg

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
You know my opinion is quite the opposite. Microsoft has always been a software and services company, they provided software for Macs and IBM since their early days and then later you had Windows, Office and enterprise software in practically every PC hardware manufacturer out there.

The big but not so breaking news, I guess, is that Microsoft had been getting experience also in the hardware industry with Xbox and PC accessories to get to the point where they are able to not only make a premium device on their own like Surface Pro 3, but to directly compete with all those OEMs who had been their partners in the PC market for so long.

I understand the hate of what sometimes seems to be a lack of support of windows phone and windows 8 (for tablets) from Microsoft like a great touch office suite or cortana for non WP devices. To be honest, I don't think they have to always make it a priority to deliver to WP first, but what it is indeed their obligation is to always have the features to differentiate windows devices from their competition. As long as there's something else that is groundbreaking and not available in other phones I'd be OK with Cortana being there for everyone.

That said, I assume that when there's Cortana and mobile office for everyone, Windows Phones will have a new feature for us to keep us here, if not what would be the point?, just as other WP users have argued... What do you think?

RavenSword

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I always thought of Microsoft as a software company except for when it came to XBOX obviously. I mean , I never really thought that Microsoft made my PC, I just knew they provided the software.

C

Craigtrain

cesarg said:
I don't think they have to always make it a priority to deliver to WP first, but what it is indeed their obligation is to always have the features to differentiate windows devices from their competition. As long as there's something else that is groundbreaking and not available in other phones I'd be OK with Cortana being there for everyone.

Everyone here is so worried that iPhone and Android will end up with the same features as WIndows Phone. I personally don't care, as long as my Lumia gets improvements over time, and has at least some semblance of feature parity, I don't worry about what's on the other guys phones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans