The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
07-17-2014 03:18 PM
404 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    As developer, I will no update my apps with new features (at least for now)... is time to think if it will be worth developing for WP.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-07-2014 02:01 PM
    Evleaks was just proven wrong by Mary Jo Foley, so let's all calm down and assume that this rumor is also total BS.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!
    07-07-2014 02:10 PM
    As developer, I will no update my apps with new features (at least for now)... is time to think if it will be worth developing for WP.
    I understand your thoughts, but personally I'll wait for more official publications. Hopefully Microsoft will soon publish a message that the rumour is all just b*llsh*t, so we can soon forget about this horrorscenario.

For now I'll just proceed developing,.. there is still faith.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-07-2014 02:16 PM
    i hope this is just a rumor. Android apps are laggy on medium spec'd devices and i can only imagine the sluggishness on mid-range Lumia devices. People gonna stop buying them and go with native android devices.

If this is indeed a rumor, I think Joe should dismiss it as rumors otherwise any dev who was planning to do native WP app will now hold-off.
    07-07-2014 02:22 PM
    Right here's the problem. Not that I fault you; I don't at all. But it's you and many other developers who aren't updating their WP apps, or not creating them in the first place, because of WP's tenuous position in the market.

You know first hand how much a WP app is worth and its ROI. So please don't fault Facebook or Google or your local bank for not creating and/or updating their WP apps.
    07-07-2014 02:25 PM
    I don't think Lumia brand will be used for an Android device...
    if this rumor is true, it could be a flagship-grade X instead of a Lumia...

either way, both will kill WP and I'll really consider my choice
    07-07-2014 02:30 PM
    This is just business. They purchased a mobile phone manufacturer. They want to sell phones all out along with Microsoft Services (Office/OneDrive/apps). They are out to sell as many phones as possible and given the hardware can basically be the same, why not sell Android and WP? Twice the chance to sell hardware and services like OneDrive...

Sure, if WP continues expanding it's good for them, but let's face it. They're basically giving Windows away for free on all platforms now, aiming to get recurring service revenue.

Sure, I don't like it either, but I can see some reasoning...
    rodan01 likes this.
    07-07-2014 02:32 PM
    no need to ask for promises.....its probably going to happen.......and so will alot of WP users
    Unfortunately!
    Maybe some will become disenchanted, especially those that are more vested in IOS and android anyway but in all truthfulness, this is all based on a BS rumor that doesn't get it right all the time. Moreover none of any of this rumor will affect us in the short run. We also know MS is developing McLaren and some new technology they refer to as 3D. Don't know what that is but if it turns out to be a little more than a gimmick, Its gonna be one bad A device. The good news is, it will NOT be running android.
    Last edited by Jazmac; 07-07-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    07-07-2014 02:36 PM
    Maybe some will become disenchanted, especially those that are more vested in IOS and android anyway but in all truthfulness, this is all based on a BS rumor that doesn't get it right all the time. Moreover none of any of this rumor will affect us in the short run. We also know MS is developing McLaren and some new technology they refer to as 3D. Don't know what that is but if it turns out to be a little more than a gimmick, Its gonna be one bad A device. The good news is, it will NOT be running android.
    But maybe it will run Android apps that don't support the 3D features :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I think everything was said in this thread. Let's see how all of it turns out.
    07-07-2014 02:38 PM
    Maybe I could tolerate a Lumia device with Android, but run Android apps on WP (how said Tom Warren),... will be good for users (and good for Android developers), but I think terrible for WP developers and their apps.

Anyway, the problem is that Microsoft has no clear ideas... is always all time looking for B plan or changing things, ...

or are trying to reach benefits through Android devices to spend it on improve WP ...could it be :)
    07-07-2014 02:45 PM
    Just a few minutes ago popular leaker @evleaks tweeted that an Android-powered Lumia is incoming, from Nokia by Microsoft.

Assuming that this Android powered Lumia is a serious effort, unlike the Nokia X series, and is a relatively high quality device, I find this to be very concerning for Windows Phone as a whole.

Personally, I would probably just cease developing for Windows Phone entirely, and just switch my focus to Android, assuming the rumor is true.

I understand Microsoft services on other platforms. That makes perfect sense to me. I even can see updating other platforms first, as much as it annoys me.

I do not, however, understand shafting the developer community, and the loyal Windows Phone user base, by creating both Android and Windows Phone devices, as equals. Dropping support of XNA was bad enough...

What are you guys' thoughts on this?
    What MSFT should have done than try to enter the smartphone industry was create something better. THE FIRST TRUE POCKET PC. A 5-6" Surface phablet phone that ran on full Windows 8.1 and could run real x86 software. Microsoft should be sticking to what they know and that's PC's! Desktop PC's may be dying but mobile ones are growing. MSFT could usher in the pocket PC era and market it as a step above the "smartphone" which is a mini faux PC.
    Sargon Aelther likes this.
    07-07-2014 02:46 PM
    What MSFT should have done than try to enter the smartphone industry was create something better. THE FIRST TRUE POCKET PC. A 5-6" Surface phablet phone that ran on full Windows 8.1 and could run real x86 software. Microsoft should be sticking to what they know and that's PC's! Desktop PC's may be dying but mobile ones are growing. MSFT could usher in the pocket PC era and market it as a step above the "smartphone" which is a mini faux PC.
    Yup. That would have been a true successor to Windows Mobile, but they chose to copy the closed iOS instead. I'm glad that WP8.1 is a little bit more open now at least.
    07-07-2014 02:53 PM
    Yup. That would have been a true successor to Windows Mobile, but they chose to copy the closed iOS instead. I'm glad that WP8.1 is a little bit more open now at least.
    They would change the game with full Windows 8 loaded inside a phablet sized Surface device, it would relegate the smartphone as an obsolete mobile phone segment it would push smartphones to the mid level ahead of dumb phones but below pocket PC phones. Android and iOS are not full fledged PC operating systems like Windows 8 is. Microsoft would retake all of enterprise in the mobile sphere, x86 capable pocket PC phones is where Microsoft could've dealt a real blow to Apple and Google.
    07-07-2014 03:06 PM
    How much of this is related to those guys who on their podcast said, "can we do that?". I have a feeling it is going to be some sort of Android emulator that will allow devs to just copy their Android apps to WP.

Also, didn't the evleaks guy have issues with the guys that run this site? Maybe he is just trolling us.
    07-07-2014 03:26 PM
    No need to overreact. :) I think that the thing that's going to "upset the whole world" is that Windows Phone users will be able to run Android apps on Windows Phone :-) That would really upset everyone (excluding us WP users). That's something I actually believe, and agree with Tom Warren. That's what I thought in the first place. Eveleaks isn't a God.
    Mavee Shah, snowmutt and Susmit257 like this.
    07-07-2014 03:51 PM
    How much of this is related to those guys who on their podcast said, "can we do that?". I have a feeling it is going to be some sort of Android emulator that will allow devs to just copy their Android apps to WP.

Also, didn't the evleaks guy have issues with the guys that run this site? Maybe he is just trolling us.
    He's also been hoaxed twice in as many weeks... maybe this is a third.
    a5cent likes this.
    07-07-2014 03:53 PM
    Tech News said S, Elop had been at meetings that were in public places with R & D and a phone that was called project green.
    07-07-2014 03:56 PM
    They would change the game with full Windows 8 loaded inside a phablet sized Surface device, it would relegate the smartphone as an obsolete mobile phone segment it would push smartphones to the mid level ahead of dumb phones but below pocket PC phones. Android and iOS are not full fledged PC operating systems like Windows 8 is. Microsoft would retake all of enterprise in the mobile sphere, x86 capable pocket PC phones is where Microsoft could've dealt a real blow to Apple and Google.
    You lot are so cute. You think hardware design is like waving a magic wand and complete blueprints come to you on unicorns?

No. What you describe is simply not possible. An x64/86 processor with supporting infrastructure in a 6" enclosure, with a battery capable of powering all this for more than say 8 hrs standby with 1 hr screen on time? This is simply not possible with today's level of consumer technology. You go to the universities, you go to the labs, you get a lot of experimental stuff but none of that can be mass-produced cheaply enough. There might be a design using some really exotic cutting edge stuff, but that would cost maybe $10-15,000/unit in just materials.
    trwrt likes this.
    07-07-2014 04:04 PM
    Maybe this allows WP apps to be ports a/la web apps. So instead of web apps we get android stuff. That way serious devs will still...nah. Getting BB10 flashbacks
    07-07-2014 04:14 PM
    You lot are so cute. You think hardware design is like waving a magic wand and complete blueprints come to you on unicorns?

No. What you describe is simply not possible. An x64/86 processor with supporting infrastructure in a 6" enclosure, with a battery capable of powering all this for more than say 8 hrs standby with 1 hr screen on time? This is simply not possible with today's level of consumer technology. You go to the universities, you go to the labs, you get a lot of experimental stuff but none of that can be mass-produced cheaply enough. There might be a design using some really exotic cutting edge stuff, but that would cost maybe $10-15,000/unit in just materials.
    Nice try being condescending like you actually are smart enough to do so. Have you not seen these ultra thin 7-8 inch Windows 8 tablets on the market. I bought my parents a Dell Venue Pro 8 so they could Skype and keep in touch, and they get 9-10 hours of battery life out of it surfing the internet, playing games reading eBooks etc. It's almost the same weight as my Nokia Icon and it's thinner than my Icon as well. It runs a 32 bit Windows 8 without any problems, it very well could run 64 with the hardware available on market today.

It wouldn't take an entire redesign to make a Snapdragon 805 or Snapdragon 810 capable of handing the x86. It doesn't even limit to Qualcomm either, even the Intel Atom could be utilized. They're not trying to make pocket gaming rigs they don't need to design a 5000 dollar i5 or i7 powered phone. Not possible? Jesus dude get with it, go read a CNET or Engadet report. Pocket PC's aren't science fiction tech.
    Last edited by Sir William Wiener; 07-07-2014 at 04:31 PM.
    07-07-2014 04:19 PM
    [WARN]Please keep this thread on topic and discuss the subject of the original post, not each other. If you cannot stay away from arguments, then this thread will need to be closed. [/WARN]
    07-07-2014 04:40 PM
    the rumor would be damaging to (wp) developer confidence. and loyal consumer confidence. and OEM expectations of exclusivity.

the only thing more disruptive would be dropping wp all together, and handing off the OEM's to Google.

there would be two disruptions though, first the os shake up, then the likely anti competitive lawsuits , for the US anyway.
    07-07-2014 05:33 PM
    The Nokia X2 is a good product. Microsoft could sell millions of units. Probably the X3 will be even better.

They can't use the Nokia brand much longer, and they have to treat this platform as a first class citizen to compete with Google Android.

Lumia -something- could be a good brand for this product. I don't understand the drama, we already know that Microsoft is committed to WP and AOSP.

Wpcentral should cover the Nokia X.
    07-07-2014 05:56 PM
    Nice try being condescending like you actually are smart enough to do so. Have you not seen these ultra thin 7-8 inch Windows 8 tablets on the market. I bought my parents a Dell Venue Pro 8 so they could Skype and keep in touch, and they get 9-10 hours of battery life out of it surfing the internet, playing games reading eBooks etc. It's almost the same weight as my Nokia Icon and it's thinner than my Icon as well. It runs a 32 bit Windows 8 without any problems, it very well could run 64 with the hardware available on market today.

It wouldn't take an entire redesign to make a Snapdragon 805 or Snapdragon 810 capable of handing the x86. It doesn't even limit to Qualcomm either, even the Intel Atom could be utilized. They're not trying to make pocket gaming rigs they don't need to design a 5000 dollar i5 or i7 powered phone. Not possible? Jesus dude get with it, go read a CNET or Engadet report. Pocket PC's aren't science fiction tech.
    There's no way they get 9-10 hours from a Dell Venue Pro 8 with web surfing, games and books. You'd have to provide video evidence to be believed. Just NO way. And even so, even if that was true, it would be way less than what is needed for a viable phone.
    07-07-2014 06:09 PM
    Boy, 9 pages. 9 PAGES. I hope this is only because we heard it from Evleaks, which has a decent history of correct rumors. Otherwise, I would say we as a community are a tad defensive these days.

-I understand Mr Nadella hasn't declared a dedication to WP yet. But, he also has done nothing to make anyone think Microsoft as a company is moving away from it. I am fine with the thought he has a vision he is pushing, but what makes anyone think he doesn't want WP to be succesful?

-Evleaks is a rumor site. In the end, that is all they are. They comb model names, code names, certificates, and whatever else they do to get ideas and then kick the tires on "inside sources" to see who bites on what. They get more right then wrong, but that doesn't translate to being set in stone because they say so.

-Nothing about this states WP will cease to exist if an Android flavored Lumia shows up. Ask Sony, HTC, Casio, LG, and basically anyone not named "Samsung" how those roads paved with gold are doing when you put out Android devices. I know they are not going broke, but they are fighting tooth and nail to get on even footing with the Galaxy series.

-I call shenangins. Until production starts and somone from Microsoft stands up on stage and announces it, I will not buy into this. I do not find it impossible, heck not even unlikely. There is a business model that shows MS is getting all of it's services in as many directions as it can. This could work in that stragety. But I am going to relax and ignore this unless it effects me and how I use mobile.

However, this is the proper place for panic. For those that need to vent, I say vent away here. Keep it civil, but if the sky is falling we will offer umbrella's as needed. But no need to give up on our favorite OS. There are still good reasons to believe MS wants to have this OS on top of the heap ASAP, not DOA.
    07-07-2014 06:28 PM
404 ... 89101112 ...