Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Everyone here is freaking out, while on Android Central, it's the opposite. Makes sense, with the Nokia brand, you get a fantastic camera, top notch build quality, and some ridiculously good offline mapping services. Now, to put things into perspective, I'm thinking this deal is one between two OEMs - Microsoft and Samsung. Why Samsung? Well, they're pretty much in bed with Google (Android), unlike the other Android OEMs.

So, the deal specifically? "I'll put Windows Phone on my Galaxy S5 if you put Android on your Lumia ####." Both parties essentially win, we get the Galaxy S5 running Windows Phone and Android gets one of our high-end devices, give them a taste of Nokia and only a taste. If people want more, they know where to go. ;)

Is this a good or a bad move though? That, only time will tell sadly. Either way, 2014 is really gearing up to be an interesting year for Microsoft and the mobile world in general.

Shobin Drogan

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
Here's what i think of this news.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is all.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Now, to put things into perspective, I'm thinking this deal is one between two OEMs - Microsoft and Samsung. Why Samsung? Well, they're pretty much in bed with Google (Android), unlike the other Android OEMs.

So, the deal specifically? "I'll put Windows Phone on my Galaxy S5 if you put Android on your Lumia ####." Both parties essentially win, we get the Galaxy S5 running Windows Phone and Android gets one of our high-end devices, give them a taste of Nokia and only a taste. If people want more, they know where to go. ;)

You think Samsung has something to gain by encouraging Microsoft to take a slice of their Android pie? That's some warped perspective.

Rickosw

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am a big WP fan ...

Everytime I read G**gle (one shall not speak his name here) buys over a third party app, (we all know the updates are not coming), my heart dies a little ...

but today's news / rumors really gives me a HEART ATTACK !

keerthi vasan

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it will happen the way people may be thinking, and even if it did happen there will be even more compelling reasons to own a Windows Phone as more features that will make Windows Phone irresistible over Android/IOS will be created,

I think we will get to know more soon. I will say that I very much doubt that Microsoft/Nokia etc will just shove all their hard work down the drain it would not make sense and think about the maybe 100 million or so Windows Phone users they would alienate and the new existing and new OEM's that would also not be happy not going to happen exactly as some might think.

About your compelling reasons to buy, I don't think that would happen anywhere in the near future considering the pace at which features are brought into WP compared to the pace of android and ios.
And secondly, it's not MSFT who is going to abandon WP. It will be the users if such a Lumia android gets to see the light albeit at a slow pace.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm in minority who doesn't care either way if this is true or not. While I do like WP, I'm not in love with it. In fact, I don't really love any OS. They each have their pros and cons. What I do love are Nokia phones. Build quality is amazing. In fact, Nokia was the reason I switched from Android to WP in the first place.

If its true that Nokia is going to have a phone that truly runs Android, and is the same build quality as the other high end Lumias, then I'll definitely check it out. As long as I continue to get high end Nokias, I don't really care what OS its running.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
About your compelling reasons to buy, I don't think that would happen anywhere in the near future considering the pace at which features are brought into WP compared to the pace of android and ios.
And secondly, it's not MSFT who is going to abandon WP. It will be the users if such a Lumia android gets to see the light albeit at a slow pace.

I remember a saying that was mentioned by Joe Belfiore "its a marathon, not a sprint", I think this is the case as slowly but surely gains are still being made with Windows Phone, there has been a small gap while the new hardware hits the market but I would expect this to accelerate very soon.

Also Official apps have been coming more frequently and this will build up more in the next month or two when the Market Share increase's with all the new Oem's releasing new Handsets in July and August and the new feature's eg

Smartwatch, 3d touch, upgraded hardware including enhanced camera technology etc we know are due before the end of this year (maybe even sooner), there could even be some extra's we have not heard about (I would think this is likely)

Last edited:

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If MS does this, they are just committing slow suicide. They'll end up a shell of their formal selves with nothing more than the Enterprise services as their consumer stuff will begin to suffer greatly. The whole reason MS has fought to gain market share in mobile is because it is such a huge factor in their overall OS existence for the future. They've already seen the erosion that the iPhone has had on Windows by drawing kids to OSX. You also see it with Android and iOS on tablets. Eventually, if they drop out of the mobile space, they will bleed off the Desktop/Laptop/Tablet space until they are no longer a relevant supplier for Operating System, save for, possibly, their server variants.

I hope the new CEO isn't this stupid. Hopefully, this will turn into a false rumor. It is, however, quite clear that the rumor alone is already doing damage. If this isn't their course, they better step up and say something soon. I really find it hard to believe they are THIS dumb. They are just about to have a great second half with the new releases and with them finally breaking through the exclusives barrier, assuming the device rumors are true, by releasing a 1525 to all carriers followed with the McLaren device.

With all the official apps pouring in the last month (BBC iPlayer today, as well as that Piano Tiles game, and many others), I really hope they see that momentum is building up and now is not the time to do stupid.

rodan01

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Lumia X and Lumia W can coexist and thrive together in cooperation.
Microsoft can become a strong force in Mobile with this strategy. I'm happy with these rumors.

msxbox

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Nokia X = Lumia X and Lumia W like mentioned by rodan01 or similar,
it is maybe just the convergence of the two under the Lumia brand they have
been made similar so just the names change nothing else...
(like some have suggested) could be Just this..

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Just a few minutes ago popular leaker @evleaks tweeted that an Android-powered Lumia is incoming, from Nokia by Microsoft.

Assuming that this Android powered Lumia is a serious effort, unlike the Nokia X series, and is a relatively high quality device, I find this to be very concerning for Windows Phone as a whole.

Personally, I would probably just cease developing for Windows Phone entirely, and just switch my focus to Android, assuming the rumor is true.

I understand Microsoft services on other platforms. That makes perfect sense to me. I even can see updating other platforms first, as much as it annoys me.

I do not, however, understand shafting the developer community, and the loyal Windows Phone user base, by creating both Android and Windows Phone devices, as equals. Dropping support of XNA was bad enough...

What are you guys' thoughts on this?
Seriously? Even though @evleaks has good sources it also has been proven wrong. So, yes I take the information but I processed just for what it is; a rumor.

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
If MS does this, they are just committing slow suicide. They'll end up a shell of their formal selves with nothing more than the Enterprise services as their consumer stuff will begin to suffer greatly. The whole reason MS has fought to gain market share in mobile is because it is such a huge factor in their overall OS existence for the future. They've already seen the erosion that the iPhone has had on Windows by drawing kids to OSX. You also see it with Android and iOS on tablets. Eventually, if they drop out of the mobile space, they will bleed off the Desktop/Laptop/Tablet space until they are no longer a relevant supplier for Operating System, save for, possibly, their server variants.

I hope the new CEO isn't this stupid. Hopefully, this will turn into a false rumor. It is, however, quite clear that the rumor alone is already doing damage. If this isn't their course, they better step up and say something soon. I really find it hard to believe they are THIS dumb. They are just about to have a great second half with the new releases and with them finally breaking through the exclusives barrier, assuming the device rumors are true, by releasing a 1525 to all carriers followed with the McLaren device.

With all the official apps pouring in the last month (BBC iPlayer today, as well as that Piano Tiles game, and many others), I really hope they see that momentum is building up and now is not the time to do stupid.
f

Just take it as it is; A BIG RUMOR.

Bill Zrv

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I cant believe that MS will give away their brand new NokiaX series and im 99% sure that this will be a TABLET!
We heared some rumors before that MS will change the name of Lumias to "Nokia by Microsoft" and change the names of the tablets to "Lumia". So since MS already has android phones, is looking to make an android tablet :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Two months old L1520 black and one year old L820 black for sale.

Reason for selling: Moving to Android.

Hang on, they might soon be running Android L after an OTA update!

Yes, for what Ballmer (Developer Developer Developer) is worth, yes he made some mistakes ( ok, many mistake ) but there is no denying his love for MSFT . ...and WP

And his love for developers!

I'm one who's a big Nokia fan but not so much WP. To me this is great news. (This is assuming it all turns out to be true, which I question.) I always said I'd love to see a high end Lumia running full fledged Android. Great camera, great hardware, and with Nokia's skills Android could be truly great on a 1020 or 1520.

I have a theory I haven't seen written yet. I don't know the details in the contract Microsoft had with Nokia, but maybe they saw the handwriting on the proverbial wall for WP, and a clause in the contract left them with no choice but to buy the devices division. Plus, after Microsoft owns it, they can do whatever they want with it, including using Android to boost sales. After all, if you sell devices, you want to sell as many as possible.

Pure conjecture.

physcodelic

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
After long loooooonggg time meditation...opened my mind and my soul...
Lumia X and W will walk together, fight together, and die together as a history...
All replaced by Cortana OS, mind controlled device. Can be installed with terabytes of apps, straight into our brain memory :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs