07-17-2014 03:18 PM
404 ... 1011121314 ...
tools
    Actually, it helps WP more than you think. What Microsoft and by extension, Nokia, have been doing is pretty smart. The number one reason people are too stubborn to even try WP is because they don't like the live tiles. Then we have the "WP doesn't have any apps" claim. So, how do you get around these issues? You use the number one mobile OS to your advantage. There are so many people who love Nokia, but have never liked the fact they went all in with WP. They wanted an Android phone with Nokia's "amazing hardware".

Just because of the fact it's a Nokia, people will buy it. Just look at the sales numbers of the Nokia X series. It may not have much effect on the people who just don't like the UI, but for those who simply wanted Android, the plan works wonders. The UI on the X series closely resembles the Modern/Metro UI. You get people used to it through these Android phones, and eventually, the hope is that they decide to give WP a try. They become so used to the UI, that it starts to feel like a natural progression. It's gradual brainwashing.

You live in utopia my friend. If they get the Nokia brand AND the UI on Android they have no reason to ever try WP. On Android they would get a largely superior app store and Google services so why bother switching at all? It's like hoping a Windows 8 user will buy an Xbox One over a PS4 just because they're used to the UI.
    07-08-2014 02:02 AM
    So what happens if MS release a mobile version of BlueStacks (an android app emulator) for Windows Phone? It would be great, we can use the apk's we want (except the ones that requires root permissions) for free and have the option to use them like the games, in the app list or in a hub. Just sayin'. What do you think about that possibility?
    I think it would still stop devs from making native Windows Phone apps. I think it will be the end of Windows Phone.
    Sargon Aelther and KrisJoeEll like this.
    07-08-2014 02:03 AM
    So what happens if MS release a mobile version of BlueStacks (an android app emulator) for Windows Phone? It would be great, we can use the apk's we want (except the ones that requires root permissions) for free and have the option to use them like the games, in the app list or in a hub. Just sayin'. What do you think about that possibility?
    from what I heard, BlueStacks for Windows lags terribly...
    and also, Android apps on BlackBerry lags as well...

is that what you want for WP?
    I'm definitely not looking forward to that
    07-08-2014 02:09 AM
    You live in utopia my friend. If they get the Nokia brand AND the UI on Android they have no reason to ever try WP. On Android they would get a largely superior app store and Google services so why bother switching at all? It's like hoping a Windows 8 user will buy an Xbox One over a PS4 just because they're used to the UI.
    Also, there's no reason to switch to a WP Nokia device when they want to keep low cost devices (the X2 is better and cheaper than the 630) and when they want to get a device in a higher price area, then they could just as well switch to any other Android device as Microsoft services are at least as good (and usually better) on Android as they are on Windows Phone. They would lose the tiles and the Nokia brand, that's all.

Additionally, there are things that the Nokia X OS does better than Windows Phones. Mainly Fastlane. While Windows Phone copied the Android notification center rather poorly and it took them 4 years to do so, Nokia was able to implement the pretty awesome looking Fastlane on their X devices as a side-project.
    07-08-2014 02:14 AM
    It seems like MS isn't taking WP as seriously as they should. Hopefully they look at the reactions to their Android s/storm and triple down on WP. I'm talking 8.1 level updates as GDRs and focus on the native first party apps. That should help elevate them. Its not just apps that's the issue. Its the overall experience.
    07-08-2014 04:46 AM
    Hmmm... 12 pages. Impressive for one day.

I'm happy to wait for their PR team to say something one way or the other in regards to this issue. The longer they take however the more people will start to think about sticking to WP. If the majority of the comments on this thread is anything to go by.
    07-08-2014 05:35 AM
    People really believe this will benefit WP in any fashion? if this rumor is true?
    07-08-2014 05:39 AM
    People really believe this will benefit WP in any fashion? if this rumor is true?
    A full Android device. No I don't see that benefiting WP. A controlled Android app store that WP accesses and is free of Google services and the app runs perfectly, there is a possibility of that being a good idea.

It still takes away from the WP 'experience' if you like but it may help with the overall 'losses' that WP is suffering from currently.

I say we wait and see.
    07-08-2014 05:52 AM
    A controlled Android app store that WP accesses and is free of Google services and the app runs perfectly, there is a possibility of that being a good idea.
    You think Google would allow that to happen, Though?
    07-08-2014 06:26 AM
    Well Amazon have one..
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-08-2014 06:29 AM
    Well Amazon have one..
    I think it's just a matter of offering an alternative store. Developers have to publish their apps separately there and Google has no saying in it. I've read that led to old and not updated apps in the Amazon store though.
    N_LaRUE likes this.
    07-08-2014 06:41 AM
    Nokia/Microsoft already have an Android app store the X series??? No Google required.
    07-08-2014 06:54 AM
    Nokia/Microsoft already have an Android app store the X series??? No Google required.
    But the Google apps are still missing and the apps store is still crippled. Would the hardcore android fan want that gimp version of android?
    07-08-2014 07:34 AM
    I thought the discussion is over since evleaks posted that there is no Lumia android....
    07-08-2014 07:36 AM
    I thought the discussion is over since evleaks posted that there is no Lumia android....
    Could you link that please? I only find him saying that this doesn't mean the end of Windows Phone.

At the moment we are having a discussion about Android apps coming to Windows Phone, not a Lumia Android device. Has that turned out to be wrong too?
    07-08-2014 07:42 AM
    Could you link that please? I only find him saying that this doesn't mean the end of Windows Phone.

At the moment we are having a discussion about Android apps coming to Windows Phone, not a Lumia Android device. Has that turned out to be wrong too?
    Apparently I'm wrong, my bad.
    Well, seems like the android apps are truly coming to wp...
    07-08-2014 08:11 AM
    Chill guys! Its not gonna happen!
    07-08-2014 08:11 AM
    I'm fine, I'm not worrying about anything so far.

What I got in my mind, what if the android apps are coming to the Android Lumia, not the WP one?
    Otherwise it really confuses me....
    07-08-2014 08:24 AM
    Links?
    07-08-2014 08:25 AM
    Eldar tweeted about VM support in WP. It's an obvious bull**** for me (since it's Eldar), but at the same time I don't see another scenario than implementing Android apps support on an AOSP Lumia..
    07-08-2014 08:30 AM
    tumblr_m92mmjssnv1rtgxao.gif

This thread still lives?? But its a rumor.
    07-08-2014 08:40 AM
    Why Android apps instead of Apple apps? Can A5cent, somebody, anybody explain this to me?
    07-08-2014 08:49 AM
    Just read this article on Techradar which claims that there is such a device planned and that Elop has been openly discussing it!

Microsoft's Android-powered Lumia may give us the best of both worlds | News | TechRadar
    07-08-2014 08:54 AM
    Why Android apps instead of Apple apps? Can A5cent, somebody, anybody explain this to me?
    Because Android apps are Java. Java is cross platform. iOS apps are not That's why it's Android.
    07-08-2014 08:56 AM
    But the Google apps are still missing and the apps store is still crippled. Would the hardcore android fan want that gimp version of android?
    It's not about getting Android fanboys onto WP. It's about getting the missing apps onto WP. It's not about Google services.
    07-08-2014 08:57 AM
404 ... 1011121314 ...