07-17-2014 03:18 PM
404 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    For all those that think WP is dead: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 reportedly nears completion by Microsoft | Windows Phone Central

The paranoia on WP Central at the moment is laughable!!!!
    msxbox likes this.
    07-08-2014 10:32 AM
    I still do believe that MS are bringing Android apps support to Lumia Android, not Lumia WP.
    Why would that even be worth mentioning? The Nokia X series has Android support, as they are based on Android. A Android based Lumia would be pretty much the same with a different name.
    07-08-2014 10:35 AM

What's life without some drama here and there..
    07-08-2014 10:37 AM
    For all those that think WP is dead: Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 reportedly nears completion by Microsoft | Windows Phone Central

Can I quote this:

That means that after September 9, phones that have Windows Phone 7.8 won't be getting any more new operating system features or major performance improvements.
    When was the last update for Windows Phone 7.8?

Only because something is still supported by Microsoft doesn't mean it's still alive ;-)

Windows Phone 7.8 mainstream support ends September 9 | Windows Phone Central
    07-08-2014 10:38 AM
    So we have two rumours and two facts.

Rumors: Lumia Android, Android apps to WP.

Facts: Major OS update called "Threshold" and confirmed GDR1 & GDR2 updates for WP8.1.

Now decide whether MS is abandoning WP or not.
    squire777, msxbox and Mavee Shah like this.
    07-08-2014 10:43 AM
    So we have two rumours and two facts.

Rumors: Lumia Android, Android apps to WP.

Facts: Major OS update called "Threshold" and confirmed GDR1 & GDR2 updates for WP8.1.

Now decide weather MS is abandoning WP or not.
    I think nobody doubts that Microsoft will go on supporting Windows Phone (They are after all still supporting Windows Phone 7.8, aren't they?). However I'm very much afraid that Microsoft will lose even more focus when starting to promote Android devices and starting to allow Android apps on Windows Phone. Also, I'm afraid that people will abandon Microsoft for real Android devices that run the real Android apps (so actually it's the other way around).

I wrote it in another thread: I don't want a Windows Phone Android app launcher with limited features, and I don't want an Android Microsoft app launcher with limited features either. I can have the real deal, Android with all its features and all its apps (which includes Microsoft services).
    07-08-2014 10:47 AM
    I wrote it in another thread: I don't want a Windows Phone Android app launcher with limited features, and I don't want an Android Microsoft app launcher with limited features either. I can have the real deal, Android with all its features and all its apps (which includes Microsoft services).
    Like you, I don't want Android creeping up on anything thats related to WP. But these are, at this point rumors and is not confirmed by Microsoft. So lets keep calm and see things as it unfolds.
    msxbox likes this.
    07-08-2014 10:52 AM
    Like you, I don't want Android creeping up on anything thats related to WP. But these are, at this point rumors and is not confirmed by Microsoft. So lets keep calm and see things as it unfolds.
    Why? I won't throw my 8X in a corner and run to buy another phone right now, just because of these rumors (which seem to have more and more substance instead of less). I think it's more than alright to discuss it.

Everybody who thinks it's pointless to discuss it is welcome to either ignore the thread or like you to state that they think it's pointless to discuss it at the moment. That's perfectly fine too.
    07-08-2014 10:57 AM
    Why? I won't throw my 8X in a corner and run to buy another phone right now, just because of these rumors (which seem to have more and more substance instead of less). I think it's more than alright to discuss it.

Everybody who thinks it's pointless to discuss it is welcome to either ignore the thread or like you to state that they think it's pointless to discuss it at the moment. That's perfectly fine too.
    Am not suggesting to not discuss this, but treat it as a rumor and don't take it much seriously. We don't want to scare away potential new users do we? :)
    07-08-2014 11:04 AM
    Am not suggesting to not discuss this, but treat it as a rumor and don't take it much seriously. We don't want to scare away potential new users do we? :)
    Maybe we should put up a big warning sign ;-)
    07-08-2014 11:05 AM
    Basically hoping Microsoft reads the reaction and backtracks
    msxbox likes this.
    07-08-2014 11:09 AM
    Do you honestly think Android is a strong brand?

I do know lots of people who live and die Android, but i know far more that just got sold a cheap, high spec phone with tons of free apps. Most people couldn't care less about whether its Android/iOS/WP/Blackberry, as long as its cheap, and has the apps they want.

The general public don't understand the concept operating system. Although, Android is the product that most people have and it's the recommended product in the stores because sale representative use it. There is "social knowledge" that that product works. It's the safe bet.

In the buying process of a complex durable good that the consumer can't understand, brand and the decisions of the peers are key factors, they are proxies to detect quality.

So, between Android and WP most would prefer the former. Obviously this could change, but it takes time.
    07-08-2014 11:10 AM
    The general public don't understand the concept operating system. Although, Android is the product that most people have and it's the recommended product in the stores because sale representative use it. There is "social knowledge" that that product works. It's the safe bet.
    I agree with that. I had to explain this to people many times. The following situation I had at least 4 - 5 times:

"What are you using here?" - "It's a Windows Phone device." - "I thought it's a HTC?!"
    07-08-2014 11:13 AM
    Basically hoping Microsoft reads the reaction and backtracks
    Backtrack on what??? There is nothing to backtrack on!!!
    msxbox likes this.
    07-08-2014 11:19 AM
    Can't see it being true BUT Microsoft proved me wrong a few times. not negative but I can't hold hope for an OS when the company itself doesn't. IF true I will probably upgrade to the next iphone come fall.
    07-08-2014 11:24 AM

To me both options are more attractive than the current WP with few low quality apps.
    Android apps add value to the platform. I think the general public will see it that way, and sales are going to respond accordingly.
    07-08-2014 11:27 AM
    To me both options are more attractive than the current WP with few low quality apps.
    Android apps add value to the platform. I think the general public will see it that way, and sales are going to respond accordingly.
    I just couldn't see the differentiator anymore. Tiles? Android has widgets. The design? Android L will be heavily inspired by the Metro design language.

Microsoft services are already at least as good when not better on other platforms. The cameras are awesome but the competition had a lot of time to play catch up and they have. The Nokia brand is already diluted with the Nokia X devices.

What would be the place of Windows Phone?
    07-08-2014 11:30 AM
    Backtrack on what??? There is nothing to backtrack on!!!
    You know what I mean. Reading between the lines, if is planned, they backtrack. If its not, they cross it off their list of things to try
    msxbox likes this.
    07-08-2014 11:37 AM
    I just couldn't see the differentiator anymore. Tiles? Android has widgets. The design? Android L will be heavily inspired by the Metro design language.

Microsoft services are already at least as good when not better on other platforms. The cameras are awesome but the competition had a lot of time to play catch up and they have. The Nokia brand is already diluted with the Nokia X devices.

What would be the place of Windows Phone?

What Is the differentiator now? Lack of apps? Subpar apps for top services like twitter and Instagram? Yes they are, but a negative differentiator.

In my view Android apps could help to solve the app problem, the biggest problem for the platform, so Microsoft can forget about that problem and use their resources to create the differentiator.

What could be the differentiator?
    *High quality native apps for the top services.
    *Integration with Windows and Xbox. *Innovation in the user interface.
    * Battery life.
    *Cortana
    *Security
    *Etc.

If Microsoft can't innovate then WP is dead with or without Android apps. Android apps would free resources to invest in new things.

What is the point of spending million of dollars to get native fluke apps that are forgotten after a couple of days or apps that are used a few minutes per month?
    07-08-2014 11:50 AM
    Reading all of the reports that Microsoft makes a lot of money through patents on technology used in Android, it would not be too surprising if Microsoft decides to use the technology that is making them money. They will likely not include Google Apps or services. I could definitely see a low to mid-range Android "Nokia by Microsoft" device helping prevent claims of patent trolling.

That said, a Lumia Android phone could look like a knock-off, and would definitely cause brand name confusion.

I hope the news just means that Nokia by Microsoft will be continuing the X line, maybe bumping it from low-end to mid-level.
    msxbox likes this.
    07-08-2014 11:50 AM
    I'll stick with Windows Phone, thank you very much.
    msxbox and MikeSo like this.
    07-08-2014 12:58 PM
    No, it wont take Microsoft to the top. Why would it?

And do you really think WP developers wont be affected, not to mention the slow death of native WP apps? Will these android cr-apps have live tiles, transparent tiles, work in the action center or lock screen? Or is it worth throwing all that away just to have the lastest snapchat app?
    Dude...you can't see the forest for the trees here.

No one has a true dual boot phone..this alone would garner more free advertising than even the next new iPhone.

Native app development won't suffer hello...it will increase for it.

A true dual boot phone runs both equally well...it would be like having a high end nexus built into a Windows phone.

The customer decides which one to use at boot up.Each is independent but can talk to one another if the apps allow for it,and this is why it would become the most sought after phone on the market.
    07-08-2014 01:09 PM
    What Is the differentiator now? Lack of apps? Subpar apps for top services like twitter and Instagram? Yes they are, but a negative differentiator.

In my view Android apps could help to solve the app problem, the biggest problem for the platform, so Microsoft can forget about that problem and use their resources to create the differentiator.

What could be the differentiator?
    *High quality native apps for the top services.
    *Integration with Windows and Xbox. *Innovation in the user interface.
    * Battery life.
    *Cortana
    *Security
    *Etc.

If Microsoft can't innovate then WP is dead with or without Android apps. Android apps would free resources to invest in new things.

What is the point of spending million of dollars to get native fluke apps that are forgotten after a couple of days or apps that are used a few minutes per month?
    I think the most important differentiator is just being different. Not being Google and not being Apple while bringing a for most people fresh user interface.

This would pretty much be lost with the Android ties.

I might be wrong though, I really don't know.
    07-08-2014 01:19 PM
    I wish Microsoft would realize that innovating/adding features isn't going to sell phones. Apple and Samsung proved that if you want to make it to the top, you need to spend billions and billions in advertising and sell the device to stupid people. 99% of people who buy phones don't know how to use them anyway. Tiles or Icons end up not making much of a difference.

They might have the best product on the market. But it won't sell if no one knows about it.

Samsung is SLAYING everyone when it comes to advertising and it reflects in their sales accordingly.

If WP adds Android Support or not, it wont mean a thing unless Microsoft ADVERTISES.
    07-08-2014 01:33 PM
    I wish Microsoft would realize that innovating/adding features isn't going to sell phones. Apple and Samsung proved that if you want to make it to the top, you need to spend billions and billions in advertising and sell the device to stupid people. 99% of people who buy phones don't know how to use them anyway. Tiles or Icons end up not making much of a difference.

They might have the best product on the market. But it won't sell if no one knows about it.

Samsung is SLAYING everyone when it comes to advertising and it reflects in their sales accordingly.

If WP adds Android Support or not, it wont mean a thing unless Microsoft ADVERTISES.
    iPhones and Androids are almost the main revenue for Apple and Google respectively. Microsoft's main revenue source is quite different, so it's not rushing to spent billions on adverts.
    Anyway, I think MS is very happy with it's current share in WP8/8.1 and it has very ambitious plans, like 20%/40% in consumer/business market in UK.

Edit 1: Not Google, but Samsung.
    Last edited by Silviu Bogusevschi; 07-08-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    07-08-2014 02:06 PM
404 ... 1213141516 ...