Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeon Gutierrez

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Just a few minutes ago popular leaker @evleaks tweeted that an Android-powered Lumia is incoming, from Nokia by Microsoft.

Assuming that this Android powered Lumia is a serious effort, unlike the Nokia X series, and is a relatively high quality device, I find this to be very concerning for Windows Phone as a whole.

Personally, I would probably just cease developing for Windows Phone entirely, and just switch my focus to Android, assuming the rumor is true.

I understand Microsoft services on other platforms. That makes perfect sense to me. I even can see updating other platforms first, as much as it annoys me.

I do not, however, understand shafting the developer community, and the loyal Windows Phone user base, by creating both Android and Windows Phone devices, as equals. Dropping support of XNA was bad enough...

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Notorious MIKE

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not a dev but could understand your concerns. Highly concerned myself as just a WP user. Didn't like the whole X thing but it wasn't too bad as they were low end devices. I honestly wonder what goes on at Microsoft sometimes.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Just a few minutes ago popular leaker @evleaks tweeted that an Android-powered Lumia is incoming, from Nokia by Microsoft.

Assuming that this Android powered Lumia is a serious effort, unlike the Nokia X series, and is a relatively high quality device, I find this to be very concerning for Windows Phone as a whole.

Personally, I would probably just cease developing for Windows Phone entirely, and just switch my focus to Android, assuming the rumor is true.

I understand Microsoft services on other platforms. That makes perfect sense to me. I even can see updating other platforms first, as much as it annoys me.

I do not, however, understand shafting the developer community, and the loyal Windows Phone user base, by creating both Android and Windows Phone devices, as equals. Dropping support of XNA was bad enough...

What are you guys' thoughts on this?

I will drop WP and give up. If Microsoft gives up, then I will too

unnatixlr8

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Okay Microsoft, enough of your weeds now calm down and get to real work. Honestly if this happens, my next phone would be an android. I understand the business but completely abandoning your own platform and focusing on totally different platform is just too much.

The app partiality was already a huge pain in the *** and now behold this.

meddyrainzo

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Okay Microsoft, enough of your weeds now calm down and get to real work. Honestly if this happens, my next phone would be an android. I understand the business but completely abandoning your own platform and focusing on totally different platform is just too much.

The app partiality was already a huge pain in the *** and now behold this.

Just when they got many OEMs on board.
No dev would bother with WP.
IF this is true, then WP is as good as dead
Bye WP, hello Android(If this is true). On the bright side, Android L has a flat design.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I will drop WP and give up. If Microsoft gives up, then I will too
And while I still like WP, there are several reasons why Microsoft making
An android based device is honestly (for WP users) taking the ****. We can see that instead of spending time developing WP and making better apps like Skype and XBM, they decide to develop an Android phone. Instead of working out the niggles with the OS, they go for an android phone. What is the goal here? To help Android gain market share? To self destruct WP? There are already MS services....I don't even know. I was looking forward to getting a new WP, but now I'm not sure that WP will still around. Seems like MS is working on both sides now.

andynew89

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
To be fair I don't know what to expect. I hope this strange move by Microsoft will somehow help Widows Phone or simply we will get fu**ed by Microsoft!

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
There is no way this helps Windows Phone any way you look at it. That will definitely be the day I go android and guess what, I won't be getting a Lumia!
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk

andynew89

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
There is no way this helps Windows Phone any way you look at it. That will definitely be the day I go android and guess what, I won't be getting a Lumia!
Well I said that I hope it will somehow help but really Microsoft might just discontinue WP OS and Lumia simply will become new line of android devices.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
This is the reason why people simply hate MS. They just don't care about their users at all. This is going to even get their image even. More tarnished than it is. I'm beginning to dislike Satya Nadella as a CEO. He clearly doesn't care about this loyal user base at all

Xeon Gutierrez

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
May be it is a windows phone with. android app support

If that were to happen, no sane developer would make a Windows Phone app again, when they could just make an Android app and hit more devices, so WP users would be stuck with crappy Android apps running poorly on WP, much like what happened with BB and OS/2.

Still, arguably it would be better than creating an Android Lumia, but based on the tweet from EVleaks, I don't think that is what will happen.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I dare anyone to find one reason this is good. You get a Lumia with all the camera capabilities and you get an OS that has more apps than WP. For all we know they could push it to the point of having the WP UI for skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo