Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Last night for the first time in years I felt nauseous and now I know why...

Those of you who are thinking this is a "wise" business decision, it is not since it will not only eat into windows phone sales as devs can simply write two apps and target a large user base thus saving money on not hiring a windows phone dev / spending to develop for windows phone. Second of all for the average Joe there wont be any reason for them to switch from Android any more or get a windows phone as their first smartphone since they will be able to get MS services on a android device from MS and not worry about the "app gap". Thirdly this is a huge middle finger to the OEMs who have spent money developing a new windows phone and getting that to market as it literally shows that MS has lost faith in its own o/s. In addition to this, the enterprises and corporations who have just rolled out windows phone will be left wondering where they will stand in the future in terms of devices and support.

So yeah, the ramifications of this U turn is humongous and a disaster for Windows Phone as a whole.

As a long time advocate, I'm left wondering where does an android lumia fit in with the "one Microsoft" goal (unless they have managed to get Android to run on the NT kernel?).
For Microsoft itself, who will trust them in the future. They're going to be seen as almost as bad as BlackBerry now, and this might hurt Nokia's attempts at phones in future. It's an aall-round mess

Martsicky

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Trojan Horse (Elop) and MS finished Nokia with their Windows Phone OS, that was a part of their big plan. Now when they acquired Nokia and all their patents they've got a pole position to fight with others. Quality of Nokia devices/ brand + Android aboard. This is "the big thing that will upset everyone" - New (Mobile devices) World Order.. I'm sure Illuminati are into it too...

physcodelic

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys,,,,I cant hold my self anymore to join this site, because of this "rumour"...
I feel sad about that moves by MS....

I have bad experiences with varied range of Google Android's performances and battery lives...
I can switch to iOS,,,but why I must spend $900-1.100 just for a phone.

If MS choose to dump WP, its me who will take care of it!
I will feed and raise my Lumia 620 until its dead and cant serve me anymore...at least it serve me well for $200 :cool:

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Lol, but I'm especially oissed because last night one Microsoft product (Windows 8) bsod'd shd destroyed another Microsoft product (Lumia) in an attempt to fix a problem caused by another Microsoft product (XBM).
If MS goes Android, WinPhans might overreact and actively AVOID ALL Microsoft products. I can smell the burning Xboxes and surfaces already

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,,,,I cant hold my self anymore to join this site, because of this "rumour"...
I feel sad about that moves by MS....

I have bad experiences with varied range of Google Android's performances and battery lives...
I can switch to iOS,,,but why I must spend $900-1.100 just for a phone.

If MS choose to dump WP, its me who will take care of it!
I will feed and raise my Lumia 620 until its dead and cant serve me anymore...at least it serve me well for $200 :cool:

Lol haha. The 620 was a good phone. Too bad it never had any successors. 625 and 630 are insults to the 620. No NFC, worse screen, less sensors.

Lu520

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Any News leaked by @eveleaks are nothing but just true. IMO, they are introducing/working installing Android apps in WP phones instead of developing Android in Lumias.

If really MS leaving the WP and going to Android platform then its their own decision and we cant do anything with that and in future we can show to our children's hey this is WP from MS/Nokia like now remembering Symbian from Nokia :D

Don't bother about the changes , let them happen :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
This will definitely lead to the death of WP as a platform. The thinking behind this is obviously to push MS services and with that aim the underlying OS doesn't really matter to Microsoft. I would join others in going with ios, can't stand anything to do with google, and hopefully we will see the same result as when MS abandoned Windows Mobile and people moved away from Microsoft mobile platforms to android as I don't think Microsoft deserves to be in the mobile space.

desitunez

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Andriod Apps on WP , well it will be a completely different STORE and definitely not google play store within an OS and some sort of emulation of android apps.

1. **** performance.
2. App wrapper for apk files

Similar to what blackberry has done , 100 threads will be open in forums can someone post apk file , or certain function of app doesn't work. is this a native WP app or android wrapper !!

good luck Microsoft :)

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Lumia and X series are made and treated independently. Well, they are obviously related in terms of strategy, but it should not affect the consumer.
Again, MS is NOT abandoning WP, and we've heard a lot about new GDRs upcoming soon (as well as Threshold Q2 '15). So MS actually has very big plans regarding the Lumia WP.
In my understanding, Microsoft requires Android OS (or AOSP, whatever) to create a bridge between the Android phones/iPhones and WP, because they are very different. I remember first time when I was looking at a Windows Phone, my first reaction was "Wha...?", but this OS was slowly and surely capturing my attention (probably the fanboys affected my decision, not excluded).
So, IMO, in terms of global strategy:
1st. Lumia WP
2nd. (Lumia) Android.

First you state X and Lumia are treated independently, and then you write Lumia WP and Lumia Android as a global strategy.

And of course are the Windows Phone and Android devices treated independently, there would be no other explanation why the X2 is better and cheaper than the Lumia 630 released at the same time.

Randy Law

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
If Microsoft gives up on Windows Phone by selling Android phones, I'm also giving up on Windows Phone. There is no point getting WP when Android has much more to offer, and I despise Android/Google. I have a Lumia 1020 with one more year of service, then maybe it's time to start the slow move to an all Apple ecosystem. I've been a loyal MS customer all these years, and I feel like I've been stabbed in the back. I had a Zune (still the best music player, that the geniuses at MS decided to kill), Xbox 360, 2 Hotmail/Outlook accounts, recently deleted 1 of 2 Gmail accounts, use OneDrive over any other cloud storage, own a Surface when Android tablets can do much more, I can't buy a DJI Phantom Vision+ aerial drone because there are no Microsoft apps for it, have been a Windows Phone user since WP7 (HTC Titan).

Slim Makay

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
I was a BB fan until the bb10 was made to run android app....and now I've fallen in love with WP, they want to break my heart as my other love did? Well if Microsoft turns to another android OEM I might as well move on.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
First you state X and Lumia are treated independently, and then you write Lumia WP and Lumia Android as a global strategy.

And of course are the Windows Phone and Android devices treated independently, there would be no other explanation why the X2 is better and cheaper than the Lumia 630 released at the same time.

So yeah, independent platforms for a global strategy, did I say something wrong? And, as you can see, I wrote (Lumia) in brackets because I'm not sure about the Android brand.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I'm likely getting the new iPhone. Hell I may just say screw it and get an iPhone 5s.

I think I am done with windows phone.

Same here. Were you over in the Trophy or 928 forums before?

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm quite disillusioned about MS and Windows lately.

They left Media Center to rot (and decided to charge for it and require higher levels of Windows).
Killed Zune/Zune Pass, even Media Player really. Giving us these 7th grade level "apps" on phone and PC.
Killed WHS, first with the removal of DE, then outright.
Stripping features from Hotmail/Outlook like domains. Ugh.

WP8.1 didn't just introduce new features/capabilities like Cortana, action center. It's like they had the Xbox Music team redo the interface for the whole OS on Friday afternoons.

I don't know.

/grumble grumble get off my lawn

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
If this is true then MSFT's DevDiv needs to release a Visual Studio for Android pronto to remain relevant. The entire RT effort (WinRT and WinPRT) has been a complete, company-killing disaster.

If MSFT still wants to be a player in the OS world then they need to retrench around Win7 compatibility for developers. Create a secure subset of Win32, add a scalable UI API, add a Win32 Store, and backport that system to Win7. ISVs would have hundreds of millions of satisfied Win7 users to sell to and the scalable interface would allow for another attempt at tablets and phones in the future.

If MSFT doesn't do something like that then they should prepare to be bought out by AAPL or GOOG in five years. They'd be the "enterprise" arm of that buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss