Android powered Lumia from Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Sharing my thoughts about what's happening here. What I see is that everybody are making immediate conclusions after reading a rumor. Do you remember how did people react on Marcus Ash's thoughts about 'bringing Cortana on another platforms'? People were very frustrated as well, but afterwards Marcus clarified the situation and everything went fine.
Just an overreaction.

Last edited by a moderator:

mukulagarwal

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Sharing my thoughts about what's happening here. What I see is that everybody are making immediate conclusions after reading a rumour. Do you remember how did people react on Marcus Ash's thoughts about 'bringing Cortana on another platforms'? People were very frustrated as well, but afterwards Marcus clarified the situation and everything went fine.
Just an overreaction.
Yaa u right ....its just an overeaction...but we can only hope all goes right for lumions.

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
If this is true then MSFT's DevDiv needs to release a Visual Studio for Android pronto to remain relevant. The entire RT effort (WinRT and WinPRT) has been a complete, company-killing disaster.

If MSFT still wants to be a player in the OS world then they need to retrench around Win7 compatibility for developers. Create a secure subset of Win32, add a scalable UI API, add a Win32 Store, and backport that system to Win7. ISVs would have hundreds of millions of satisfied Win7 users to sell to and the scalable interface would allow for another attempt at tablets and phones in the future.

If MSFT doesn't do something like that then they should prepare to be bought out by AAPL or GOOG in five years. They'd be the "enterprise" arm of that buyer.

MS exists for decades, it had many failures, I very doubt it will be bought some day by Apple or Google...

Aakash Agrawal

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about how many nokia x microsoft produces. If they tarnish the Lumia line with anything other than windows phone... let's just say my current ownership of lumia will be a very short one indeed.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
HTC has windows phones and android phones....

Why can't Microsoft.. It's all a money making game. They aren't going to stop making windows phone and the quantity of android phones they produce wont dent windows phone market share.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Strange rumour but not totally unexpected to be honest, I can see where MS is coming from as most of their patents are for android so why not increase the user base on activations while cutting their costs on manufacturing of their own divisions.

Business is business but it never stops hurting the man on the street.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Elop wants to write another burning platform memo.

If this is true, the whole MS ecosystem is in doubt. Windows will be left behind for business users and desktops, while all tablets, phones and devices will be either Android or Apple. The Windows desktops would then slowly leak over to Apple so users have a single platform.

All that would be left of Microsoft will be Office, and a few die hard windows installations.

Mavee Shah

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Elop wants to write another burning platform memo.

If this is true, the whole MS ecosystem is in doubt. Windows will be left behind for business users and desktops, while all tablets, phones and devices will be either Android or Apple. The Windows desktops would then slowly leak over to Apple so users have a single platform.

All that would be left of Microsoft will be Office, and a few die hard windows installations.

So true

Silviu Bogusevschi

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Friend, time can change anything. It wouldn't be too unrealistic to put MS in place of Blackberry. All had their time Nokia, Nintendo, Sega, Commodore, Blackberry, Netscape, Atari, and Palm.

Microsoft has Office, which is everywhere literally.
Microsoft has Azure, which is deeply used by enterprise in the world.
Microsoft has Windows, which takes 90+% of the Desktop market share.
Microsoft has Visual Studio, which has a ton of market share as well.
Microsoft has SQL Server for DB on Windows Servers.
Microsoft has Skype, XBOX, Bing, etc etc etc.

How can you compare such a beast with a browser developer or Sega?

Chregu

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC has windows phones and android phones....

Why can't Microsoft.. It's all a money making game. They aren't going to stop making windows phone and the quantity of android phones they produce wont dent windows phone market share.

Get a grip and put your panties back on ladies....

Windows Phone market share is laughable in many regions, and where it isn't Bing services are so bad that people will certainly think twice about buying another Windows Phone already. Also, Microsoft services are already amazing on Android and iOS.

I see no reason, no reason at all why an Microsoft Android device should bring more people to Windows Phone. All the services they get on the X series are also on iOS and Android, they don't need to move to Windows Phone.

At the same time Windows Phone is still lacking in so many areas and instead of focusing to bring this in order, Microsoft invests more resources on developing more Android devices?

And why should I buy a Windows Phone device that runs Android apps, if I can have an Android phone with much more features running the same apps better?

I rather focus on a company releasing one good product, instead of a company fragmenting itself to many mediocre products.

And now explain to me again, why are we overreacting if all of this turns out to be true?

anon(8770622)

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
If this phone is real, and the price isn't too high, I might as well buy it. After all, I switched to WP because of Nokia's hardware, not the OS itself.

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
This isn't HTC making Android phones and windows phones,it is Apple making android devices and calling it an iPhone 6a. Its Pepsi using coke, or the CEO of BMW driving around a Toyota. Its a meh. Whatever. There's already something better, why try. And f you guys who believed in us, you were stupid.

nicfromwales

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
The big question is how does this tie-in with Microsoft's universal app strategy, and rumoured Threshold info (the possible merging of RT and WP)? Microsoft can't afford to give up on a mobile Windows OS, as the world is heading away from the desktop towards mobile devices. If they give way to Google and Apple, that's Microsoft potentially out of the consumer OS business for good. Can anyone see Microsoft letting that happen?

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I would highly suggest those who are unhappy (myself included) with this rumor to tweet the people who need to hear it.

@windowsphone
@joebelfiore
@microsoft
@CWeberatMSFT
@satyanadella

johnh3

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
If this is true I wonder if it will ever be a Windows Phone 9? Or will Microsoft go with Android AOSP all the way?
AOSP is out of Googles control since that part are not in The Open Handsets Alliance.
But at the same time there a lot of new OEM.s with Windows Phone 8.1 so its confusing..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss